Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Colorful Sims & Builds: Results page 1 and page 15

MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
edited September 2014 in The Sims 3 Store Gifting
Entry's
Results

Wanted Colorful Sims & Builds
5,000 sp’s worth of prizes split between 5 categories
Additional sponsors won’t be turned away, and will get to say how their donations are categorized
Contest closes Saturday September 27th 9 am pst.

I’m playing and filling in two world’s created by Rflong7, with no intention of moving on to s4 at this time. (the games live play mechanics and pop ups leave me going ick! But I am jealous of most of build mode)

Rflong’s worlds that I’m currently playing with are: Glenvale County and Cake Island

However, I’ve moved on from natural looking sims and am playing with the rainbow, I have decided that I don’t want to take months to fill in the towns or get sloppy which I’ve caught myself doing with at least 1 house and a couple of sims. So I’m turning to you the community for help.

What I’m looking for is colorful sims, rainbow or berry sims if that helps, and homes to go with them. Cake Island is fairly well established house wise, but is an empty world, and while I’ve plunked in a few colorful sims the town could use more since story progression is pulling in plain npc’s & townies from who knows where.

Glenvale County on the other hand is largely undeveloped and in addition to filling in with sims can use some extra houses to help fill it in, besides what’s already in my library.

Wanted Colorful Sims & Builds
Any color, any shade, pastel, vibrant, monotone, multihued, berried or rainbow-ed. The following colors are not allowed …. Neutral tones/colors, no white, black, beige*, grey*.
* Carmel, or similar along with silver if done right can/will look amazing and not neutral.

Sims:
Color, traits, favorites, and outfits must fit together somehow
Decent back story/explanation of who the sim/family is, does not have to be fancy/elaborate, but should be a minimum of 3 to 5 sentences. So say a sim is named Periwinkle Terra … I would expect the sim(s) to incorporate somehow earthy colors along with the pale blue that is periwinkle in both their genetics and their clothes. Also no ordinary/plain names, don’t forget to get creative with their names as well. Here are some examples from my studio of what I’m looking for as far as sims go: Royals http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8374978 ; Flavius Jin http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8253492 ; Pomona Linford http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8225689 ; Naia Maraja http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8208480 ; Spice Berry http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8205216

Builds:
No budget. Lot size, 10X10 up to 30x30. Colorful, but it doesn’t all have to be bold or monotone, subtle is also good, and remember that sometimes a good contrast color does more to make a color pop than having everything monotone. Please have a color combo or set color sim in mind as you build. Using my example sims from above, say a house was being built for spice berry & flavius as a couple then it would incorporate yellows as well as the purplish/mauve color that ea has labeled spice berry as well as complimentary colors that help tie the two colors together.
Contest closes Saturday September 27th 9 am pst

5,000 sp’s worth of prizes split between 5 categories
Additional sponsors won’t be turned away, and will get to say how their donations are categorized

Judges {4 open positions}
* Me
* ??
* ??
* ??
* ??

Judging Criteria:
Not set in stone, general guideline for now, however if one or more co-judges strongly feel that a criteria needs to be changed, or any additional sponsor wants something changed/added I will listen and talk it over with them via e-mail. If changes are made entrants will be notified

Sims: 100 possible points
Entry form – 10 pts
Color theme – 10 pts
Backstory – 10 pts
Cohesion of traits with faves – 10 pts
Name – 10 pts
Overall cohesion: name, traits, color theme, faves – 50 pts

Builds: 100 possible points
Entry form – 10 pts
Color theme – 10 pts
In Game Lot Name – 25 pts
In Game Lot description – 25 pts
Landscaping – 5 pts
Overall cohesion of lot between inside & outside with color scheme – 25 pts

Category’s
Sims:
Singleton’s or lonely hearts (750)
1 - 350
2 - 200
3 - 150
Hm1 - 25
Hm2 - 25

Couple’s/siblings/housemates (750)
1 - 350
2 - 200
3 - 150
Hm1 - 25
Hm2 - 25

Families (1000)
1 - 500
2 - 250
3 - 150
Hm1 - 50
Hm2 - 50

Builds:
1 bedroom/studio’s (1,000)
1 - 500
2 - 250
3 - 150
Hm1 - 50
Hm2 - 50

Family homes (1,500)
1 - 700
2 - 500
3 - 250
Hm1 - 50

Entry Form:
Username:
Sim/Build name/title:
Category: {sim: single/couple/family build: studio or 1 bed/family house}
Color(s) used:{please include the rgb & hex code if you now them}
Link to sim/build:
[b]In game world & address: {builds only}[/b]
Link to showcase thread:
One pic of sim/build:

Okay I've caved so please consider this open for both S3 & S4 sims/builds, and I'll see what I can do to boost the prize pool But all prizes will be from the S3 store.
Peace, GranMama Dragon
Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
Save Game Often
repair & clear caches Often
S3 Studio
S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
Behrooz
S2/3/4 Randomnes
Post edited by Mmdrgntobldrgn on

Comments

• MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    edited September 2014
    Rules:
    * No cc, entry’s will be custard checked, if cc is found you will be given an opportunity to fix your entry. If it isn’t fixed by the time the contest closes (last day entries will be given an extra day or two) then the entry will be disqualified.
    * Ask questions if you’re not sure
    * Work entered must be your own, or I will assume you are nominating the original creator for the prize money
    * You are allowed to share/gift your prize
    * 1 entry per category, per entry, per person. So one person may have 5 entries, but each entry must be a different category and in a separate post.
    * Entrants must use the entry form, and yes correct usage of the entry form is part of possible points earned
    * Make sure you read the rules
    * Make sure you read over the judging criteria
    * Be creative, and to quote Mr. Tim GunnMake it Work!

* My apologies, I forgot this one it's one of my standard rules, please make sure that your build is on an original ea lot. Removing existing houses/buildings and rezoning is fine. Just please do Not use the world editor tool to add lots. If you've already done so and have already started your build please message me on my wall here or on mypage on the s3 site.

S4 entry's
    * Honor system for no cc
    * Please use #colorful {all lowercase} when you upload to the gallery so I {and any cojudges} can find your entry
    * All other rules still apply

PS, you may enter a sim or build that is already in your studio
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    edited September 2014
    Q&A
    jojo784379 wrote: »
    I'd LOVE to join! But I have a question, can we use any stuff packs or expansion packs at all?
    Yes, I think there are only a few things I don't have like the treasure hunt reward items.

RosieFluxx & shaliny1997
    Are we allowed to make supernaturals?? :)
    Yes

And along those lines I don't care if couples and or family's are same gender pairings.

Note: I remembered what I meant to add to the entry form. Please note that while I ask for the rgb & hex code for your chosen color(s) if you have them if all you list is color(s) but no code you won't lose points.

RacerPQR wrote: »
    Is the showcase thread necessary and if yes what's included?
    Yes showcase thread is required. If you already have a thread that you use to showcase work then using that thread is fine. My reason for requiring a showcase thread is that it eliminates the picture limit. In a showcase thread a creator/entrant can post as many pics and describe with more detail than entry posts allow for. Also by having the showcase outside of the contest it allows for newer members to host their showcase on other formats like tumbler, pintrest or wherever thereby getting around the new user no images restrictions.

Especially since it is easy to post a split up link.

RosieFluxx wrote: »
    Yay for supernaturals :D Also as I don't think it's mentioned, are we allowed to use store content?

Yes like I mentioned above there are only a few things I don't have which are tied to treasure hunts or sp bundle rewards.
    I will have a look at making a berry sim :) I have never really been in to them myself, but I think it would be fun to make one :)
    If it helps don't think of them as berry's or rainbows, think flowers or jem stones instead and apply color scheme as it fits. I'm decidedly not a berry purist ;) I enjoy colorful sims that are inspired by what is around us and who's names are a play on their inspiration source.

Example: If I were doing a sim based off of the Betty Boop rose bush in my front yard I would be blending shades of red, yellow, cream, and green and then I would either go with an earthy selection traits and faves because it's a rose bush or pull from the name and go with fun & flirty traits and faves.

Betty Boop Roses
    betty_boop0364_300.jpg
    Are we allowed to edit our pictures?

Define edit please? If you mean crop, borders, & multilayer, yeah sure; but if you mean filters to fade or blur the images or add decor not in game like sparkles, then no. Pictures should be for the most part should be raw from in game, while not everyone has the same graphics/pc specs raw pics help show how a build or sim looked to the person who created it.

ps, it also depends on where your using your edited image. If you like to have vintage images on the upload but still have non filtered images for the showcase post then that's fine to, just so long as any/all images used for the showcase thread {or other location} are raw images.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    edited September 2014
    Have Expressed Interest
    :) = has an entry in

shaliny1997
    jojo784379
    cmbaker16
    RosieFluxx
    Marvelissa
    loobylou1985
    owlcityfan4eva
    RacerPQR :)
    ciane :)
    shaliny1997 :)
    blacksheba1973
    Charicharn
    pixiegamer
    walkingstick
    sneakysnoo :)
    okester
    racheypie666 :)

Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    edited September 2014
    emoticon guide
    :) = entry spotted, waiting custard check and review
    <3 = cleared custard
    o:) = entry good {requirements met}
    :'( = somethings wrong look for notes from me
    Sim Entry's

Singles
    Apollo Sunstroke by RacerPQR entry <3o:)
    Deilephila Hawk by racheypie666 entry <3o:)
    Jala Vatani by pixiegamer entry <3o:)

Hunter Peahen by sneekysnoo entry <3:( forgot his exchange link in entry form

Family's
    The Citrus family by RacerPQR entry <3o:)
    The Navajo Family by sneakysnoo entry <3o:)
    Peace and Sunny Rose by Charicharn entry <3o:)
    The Munsell & Spectra Family by Daiyu entry <3o:)
    The Cherry Family by pixiegamer entry o:)<3

Build Entry's

Studio's/1 bedrooms
    YJok by ciane entry o:)<3
    Colorful ever after! by shaliny1997 entry o:)<3
    Fragment of a Forgotten Lamp by pixiegamer entry <3o:)
    Peaco.ck's Perch by sneakysnoo entry <3o:)

Family Houses
    YJok Extreme by ciane entry o:)<3
    Chiffon Cottage by sneakysnoo entry <3o:)
    Fondant Fancy by walkingstick entry <3o:)

Misc.
    Ruffin by cmbaker16 entry <3 color & names but not out per se

Please Note that when I get the winners announced the categories and amounts will be altered ..... ;) all in your favor trust me please

<3 Charicharn I moved the sisters into this house :D
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    edited September 2014
    Winners

Sims
    Singles
    Deilephila Hawk by racheypie666 100.0 600sp
    minus 1/2 point for pic problems, also active links would have been nice. +1/2 for including her inspiration source in the back story/showcase. She is just awesome …… and I think I want to see what baby's from her and Hunter would look like. :D

Jala Vatani by pixiegamer 99.0 300sp
    Entry + 1/2 for including hex#'s. Given how vibrant her colors are with everything else her formal seems almost drab and dull in comparison, also given her traits, and all other aspects the spice brown fave color took me by surprise I was expecting her to have a bolder color as her fave.

Apollo Sunstroke by RacerPQR 93.0 200sp
    Almost to short of a back story. Varying the shades of yellow in the forms of root's, tips, and highlights to factor in for his love of being outdoors would have helped him be less monochromatic, otherwise the rest of his color scheme is great I love how you broke up the yellows in his clothes with whites.

Hunter Peahen by sneekysnoo 89.0 125sp
    entry + 1/2 for the touch of humor in hunters pic, but - .5 for link issues; colors go great together & the way you did mixed colors in his hair keeps him from becoming to monochromatic. back story hinted at with pic captions but otherwise not there; I love how he fits so well to his inspiration, had his back story been there or more obvious he would have tied for 2nd place. Soul music? I thought he'd be pop or something along those lines. I think he's going to end up fathering several babies around town. ;D lol

Family's
    The Navajo Family by sneakysnoo 100.0 600sp
    Sadly Olive lost her hair color in the move, no ding for game glitch. Don't know why but for the Navajo family and house links to showcase were spot on; but with Hunter & house links took me to the blog but not the exact post.

The Munsell & Spectra Family by Daiyu 99.0 300sp
    name +.5 because the play on name was so clever I had to double check it :) There were a couple of traits/faves that seemed out of place with the individual

The Cherry Family by pixiegamer 96.0 200sp
    loss of .5; for 2 Maraschino very challenging a slightly darker root color would have been good. Names … I can't find Kion or the daughter under cherry types google has failed me or I have failed google. I'm thinking Kion must be along the lines of a Rainier cherry because his colors fit with that. A couple of the traits/faves fell flat for me. Although I think I see Kion filing for custody of his niece and starting a family with one of the Rose sisters; or I can see Sunny & Maraschino hooking up but not getting married and raising Chelan {I know I spelled her name wrong, sorry}.

Peace and Sunny Rose by Charicharn 92.0 125sp
    Almost to short of a back story, Their name sake is what holds their color cohesion together, and Peaces faves confuse me a little, but I decided that perhaps they go together because of her name peace.

The Citrus family by RacerPQR 88.0 125sp
    One thing not clear from the back story is whether Clementine is Lime's sister or daughter. If she's Lime & Melon's daughter I kind of expect color blend from the parent's unless she was adopted. Over all the color scheme's for each sim is spot on but as a family they don't work for me unless Clem was lime's sister or cousin or an orphan they adopted.

Ruffin by cmbaker16 78.0 100sp
    color & names but not out per se: Names don't play on anything, very vanilla names. Would have loved a bit more hue in the skin tones but overall good color cohesion. Had the names been more of plays on colors/plants/inspiration source they would have tied for 3rd.

Builds
    Studio's or 1 bedrooms
    Fragment of a Forgotten Lamp by pixiegamer 100.0 600sp
    Roof top landscaping is still landscaping

Peaco.ck's Perch by sneakysnoo 98.0 300sp
    The hedge in back throws me off, I would have loved to see a tall fence that uses the same color palette as the balcony fence. It's all in the name studio implies all open space, this is a 1 bedroom.

YJok by ciane 94.0 200sp
    I wish: the base pillars matched with the rest of the house, as brick against the lovely colors they stand out; While I love the trim of flowers around the yard they would have looked even better if they were some of the plants with colors close to those of the house, same for the fencing; interior - more soft colors could have been added with the furniture to tie it together. Pushes the envelope on the 1 bed/studio definitions.

Colorful ever after! by shaliny1997 92.5 125sp
    Yard - while definitely in use also feels a bit out of balance and cluttered. I love how you used the colors to break up and accent each other to keep rooms from becoming to monotone; I wish you had done the same for the exterior in the form of window trims or such.

Family Houses
    Fondant Fancy by walkingstick 100.5 750sp
    Entry + 1/2 for including hex#'s ... somebody had better get me some pastel candies and but soon .... oh wait that would be me huh .... sigh

Chiffon Cottage by sneakysnoo 98.5 550sp
    1/2 off on color theme only because I really wish there were a few hints of other color for the occasional accent on the outside like you did inside. The 1/2 on the landscaping is because having the walkway go all the way to the property edge in the back throws me off. Lastly the house is more of an estate than a cottage -.5; that pesky name detail I keep nitpicking.

YJok Extreme by ciane 92.5 300sp
    I wish: the base pillars matched with the rest of the house, as brick against the lovely colors they stand out; While I love the trim of flowers around the yard they would have looked even better if they were some of the plants with colors close to those of the house, same for the fencing; interior - more soft colors could have been added with the furniture to tie it together. To much interior white.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    edited September 2014
    Resources

List of tutorials or how do I do that?
    ZooU courses: ZooProfessor's Beginning Builder's University Master Thread (Contains links to all Zoo U courses)

Color guides
    Name that Color
    Adobe Kuler: Color Wheel

LoreleyLee
    Here's another color scheme designer: http://paletton.com/

ciane
    I wanted to share these links here for awesome color palette tools from pictures:
    http://www.degraeve.com/color-palette/

What is a berry sim? Answer
    What is/are rainbow sims? Answer @ MTS
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    edited August 2014
    Need some extra inspiration, I've got you covered ;D

betty_boop0364_300.jpgVintage-Rose-Bouquet.pngBlue-roses-for-you-Berni-yorkshire_rose-20050887-800-587.jpg1715.jpg

jems%2Blot%2Bpic10.jpggeodes_004_tttc.jpgratnapura_gems.jpgdiamond-jewelry-background2.jpg

agatecollage1.jpg
    agates-achates-achat.jpg

good21-copy.jpg
    Beautiful%2BWild%2BFlowers%2B%25289%2529.jpg
    wildflowers-309939.jpg
    Among-the-Wildflowers1-LT.jpg

welcome_im10.jpg
    1111HG-askrose-apricot-tree-625.jpg

Beautiful+Colorful+Cute+Birds+Wallpapers+%25284%2529.jpg
    More colorful birds

Contest is now open, Doctor Who will be on soon so I will be back after, to check for questions and maybe add whatever it was I was going to add and forgot. blip!
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    Thanks rosemow
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • shaliny1997shaliny1997 Posts: 646 Member
    I'd like to join! I'll create a beautiful house and maybe a sim! :)
  • jojo784379jojo784379 Posts: 256 Member
    I'd LOVE to join! But I have a question, can we use any stuff packs or expansion packs at all?
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    ooo....right up my Alley :)
  • RosieFluxxRosieFluxx Posts: 1,342 Member
    Are we allowed to make supernaturals?? :)
    dec7bd7e-5d9d-47af-8ab4-5d5e68212e68_zps1731c338.jpg
  • shaliny1997shaliny1997 Posts: 646 Member
    @mmdrgntobldrgn may we create supernatural sims?
  • MarvelissaMarvelissa Posts: 9,456 Member
    Ooh this sounds right up my alley! :)
    Mafia Stats:
    Games Played: 59 | Wins: 31 | Losses: 27 | Draws: 1
    Scum: 14 | Town: 40 | Third: 5
    Scum Wins: 5 | Town Wins: 25 | Third Party Wins: 1
    Alive: 18 | Nightkilled: 16 | Lynched: 18 | Endgamed: 3 | Other: 5
    Morning just doing a quick check in, it's farmer's market today.

The answer to all questions so far is Yes. Yes to sp's & ep's, and Yes to supernaturals. One bit of cautionary advice, it may be only my pc that does it but I've noticed that some lots that are packed with clutter take longer to load, again I think it's my pc, and no if something takes longer to load it won't impact scores.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • RacerPQRRacerPQR Posts: 1,566 Member
  • RosieFluxxRosieFluxx Posts: 1,342 Member
    Yay for supernaturals :D Also as I don't think it's mentioned, are we allowed to use store content?
    dec7bd7e-5d9d-47af-8ab4-5d5e68212e68_zps1731c338.jpg
    g
    On phone
    Yes showcase thread is required. If you already have a thread that you use to showcase work then using that thread is fine. My reason for requiring a showcase thread is that it eliminates the picture limit. In a showcase thread a creator/entrant can post as many pics and describe with more detail than entry posts allow for. Also by having the showcase outside of the contest it allows for newer members to host their showcase on other formats like tumbler, pintrrst or wherever thereby getting around the new user no images restrictions.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    RosieFluxx wrote: »
    On phone
    Yes like I mentioned above there are only a few things I don't have which are tied to treasure hunts or sp bundle rewards.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • loobylou1985loobylou1985 Posts: 2,125 Member
    I will have a look at making a berry sim :) I have never really been in to them myself, but I think it would be fun to make one :)
    edited August 2014
    If it helps don't think of them as berry's or rainbows, think flowers or jem stones instead and apply color scheme as it fits. I'm decidedly not a berry purist ;) I enjoy colorful sims that are inspired by what is around us and who's names are a play on their inspiration source.

Example: If I were doing a sim based off of the Betty Boop rose bush in my front yard I would be blending shades of red, yellow, cream, and green and then I would either go with an earthy selection traits and faves because it's a rose bush or pull from the name and go with fun & flirty traits and faves.

Betty Boop Roses
    betty_boop0364_300.jpg

eta pic
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • piglovinggirlpiglovinggirl Posts: 124 Member
    edited August 2014
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn

Just so I understand properly - there is to be absolutely NO neutral tones at all in builds? Or can there be bits as accents?
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn

Just so I understand properly - there is to be absolutely NO neutral tones at all in builds? Or can there be bits as accents?
    On phone

Not as the primary theme but definitely as accents especially if it helps tie a theme together
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes