Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*UPDATED* Supported Graphics Card List (The Sims 4 Edition)

Comments

• johnjetjohnjet Posts: 101 Member
    johnjet wrote: »
    How accurate is this list?

The reason I ask is that I have a GT 720 and according to this list it is Orange, meaning while I can play Sims 4 I can't play it on High settings.

However, here is the problem. I have been playing on High settings for over 300 hours now with close to 15 mods and 700 pieces of CC active without any problems, so at least for me, the GT 720 should be in the black column not the orange.

Does this list need to be updated again or am I just lucky? I can run a vast majority of newer games on a GT 720 card in medium to high settings, so the GT 720 shouldn't have any problems graphic wise with the Sims 4.

One the person who started this thread has not been in the forum in a long time. The list has not been updated in probably over a year and no one can edit it.

Also if you have a 720 card, it is very low end and not designed to run this game. It is fine for steaming movies. I would say your lucky it will run the game. Every computer is different. No two computers are the same. You could have 10 computers same make and model and they will all be different. Your computer will somehow run this game but 9 other of your same computer won't.

are you playing the base game only? I suspect if you added every EP and pack you might have more game issues. The more you add to the game, the more demanding the game becomes

No, its just a 720 for desktop PC, not laptop (I'm one of those people who think laptops should not ever be used for gaming). That's why the listing of GT720 in the PC section in orange, seems strange.

This list was posted when the game first came out. It's a player made list and not an EA list. It should have never been posted since it is not maintained at all. The 720 card for desktop or laptop (laptop is weaker) is still a very low end card. GT cards are not designed to run 3d games that have requirements. GTX cards are designed for gaming 3d games. The minimum specs for this game are for base game only with no game add ons. To play the whole complete game as the game adds more and more you need to look at recommended requirements on the EA packaging ( disc) or the EA web. The game requires a GTX 650 or better to handle all the add ons to this game. The game is not complete.

From the EA web, Desktop requirements to survive the complete game ( when it is completed)

RECOMMENDED SPECS:
    PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 or faster, AMD Athlon X4
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
    MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: 15 GB of Hard Drive space

I dunno I must be lucky then, because taking into consideration everything you have said about Recommended Specs, then my computer should not and could not ever be able to run Star Wars Battlefront for example on High settings (All expansions released, not just base game). That game requires:

PROCESSOR: Intel i5 6600 or later
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    MEMORY: 16 GB RAM

Yet my system is:

PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 6400
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720
    MEMORY: 8 GB RAM

So, I will just wait and see, if and when TS4 is complete if the game still runs. I suspect that like many other games, that I have that have higher recommended specs than what I have, the TS4 will be more than capable running when complete with everything. Time will tell though.

I would have thought that since this thread is no longer being maintained, it would either have been removed or locked by now. That is why I initially posted, because I though this was "recently" updated and wanted to point out the particulars of my situation with the GT720.

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    How accurate is this list?

The reason I ask is that I have a GT 720 and according to this list it is Orange, meaning while I can play Sims 4 I can't play it on High settings.

However, here is the problem. I have been playing on High settings for over 300 hours now with close to 15 mods and 700 pieces of CC active without any problems, so at least for me, the GT 720 should be in the black column not the orange.

Does this list need to be updated again or am I just lucky? I can run a vast majority of newer games on a GT 720 card in medium to high settings, so the GT 720 shouldn't have any problems graphic wise with the Sims 4.

One the person who started this thread has not been in the forum in a long time. The list has not been updated in probably over a year and no one can edit it.

Also if you have a 720 card, it is very low end and not designed to run this game. It is fine for steaming movies. I would say your lucky it will run the game. Every computer is different. No two computers are the same. You could have 10 computers same make and model and they will all be different. Your computer will somehow run this game but 9 other of your same computer won't.

are you playing the base game only? I suspect if you added every EP and pack you might have more game issues. The more you add to the game, the more demanding the game becomes

No, its just a 720 for desktop PC, not laptop (I'm one of those people who think laptops should not ever be used for gaming). That's why the listing of GT720 in the PC section in orange, seems strange.

This list was posted when the game first came out. It's a player made list and not an EA list. It should have never been posted since it is not maintained at all. The 720 card for desktop or laptop (laptop is weaker) is still a very low end card. GT cards are not designed to run 3d games that have requirements. GTX cards are designed for gaming 3d games. The minimum specs for this game are for base game only with no game add ons. To play the whole complete game as the game adds more and more you need to look at recommended requirements on the EA packaging ( disc) or the EA web. The game requires a GTX 650 or better to handle all the add ons to this game. The game is not complete.

From the EA web, Desktop requirements to survive the complete game ( when it is completed)

RECOMMENDED SPECS:

I dunno I must be lucky then, because taking into consideration everything you have said about Recommended Specs, then my computer should not and could not ever be able to run Star Wars Battlefront for example on High settings (All expansions released, not just base game). That game requires:

PROCESSOR: Intel i5 6600 or later
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    MEMORY: 16 GB RAM

Yet my system is:

PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 6400
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720
    MEMORY: 8 GB RAM

So, I will just wait and see, if and when TS4 is complete if the game still runs. I suspect that like many other games, that I have that have higher recommended specs than what I have, the TS4 will be more than capable running when complete with everything. Time will tell though.

I would have thought that since this thread is no longer being maintained, it would either have been removed or locked by now. That is why I initially posted, because I though this was "recently" updated and wanted to point out the particulars of my situation with the GT720.

I can't answer you why your computer can run any of this as you claim. I do know months ago many people who had the GT 730 card were having issues running the game and the GT 730 is a better card than the GT 720. The 730 card is still a low end card I have also seen a few 720 cards that can no longer run the game. Just becsue you claim your 720 can run does not mean it applies to others. Like I mentioned each computer is different and the 720 card does not meet requirements to EA standard. We would never recommend in tech that someone buy the equivalent of a 720 card if buying a new computer.

are you playing at a lower resolution? The higher the resolution, the better the video card you need. You need a GTX card to game in 1080p. You need a top of the line GTX card to game in 2k. Even the highest card they make , the GTX 1080 will get fps drops at 4k.

[/quote]

are you playing at a lower resolution? The higher the resolution, the better the video card you need. You need a GTX card to game in 1080p. You need a top of the line GTX card to game in 2k. Even the highest card they make , the GTX 1080 will get fps drops at 4k. [/quote]

Ok, had a look. My monitor is from Acer, it came with the computer. It is a Acer K222HQL 21.5in Widescreen LED Monitor with a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 with a refresh rate of 60Hz

In game Sims 4 settings:

Display

DISPLAY TYPE: Fullscreen
    RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080
    REFRESH RATE: 60
    VERTICAL SYNC: Not Checked

Graphics

SIMS: High
    OBJECTS: High
    LIGHTING: High
    REFLECTIONS: High
    VISUAL EFFECTS: High
    EDGE SMOOTHING: Medium
    3D SCENE RESOLUTION: High
    VIEW DISTANCE: High
    UNCOMPRESSED SIM TEXTURES: Box Checked
    POST PROCESSING EFFECTS: Box Checked
    LAPTOP MODE: Not checked

are you playing at a lower resolution? The higher the resolution, the better the video card you need. You need a GTX card to game in 1080p. You need a top of the line GTX card to game in 2k. Even the highest card they make , the GTX 1080 will get fps drops at 4k. [/quote]

Ok, had a look. My monitor is from Acer, it came with the computer. It is a Acer K222HQL 21.5in Widescreen LED Monitor with a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 with a refresh rate of 60Hz

In game Sims 4 settings:

Display

DISPLAY TYPE: Fullscreen
    RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080
    REFRESH RATE: 60
    VERTICAL SYNC: Not Checked

Graphics

SIMS: High
    OBJECTS: High
    LIGHTING: High
    REFLECTIONS: High
    VISUAL EFFECTS: High
    EDGE SMOOTHING: Medium
    3D SCENE RESOLUTION: High
    VIEW DISTANCE: High
    UNCOMPRESSED SIM TEXTURES: Box Checked
    POST PROCESSING EFFECTS: Box Checked
    LAPTOP MODE: Not checked

[/quote]

Than you would be the only one in existence who could actually play this game (or any 3D game that requires a GTX card) on a very low end GT 720 card at 1080p resolution. You must have a magic computer. Congratulations!
    edited May 2017

[/quote]

Than you would be the only one in existence who could actually play this game (or any 3D game that requires a GTX card) on a very low end GT 720 card at 1080p resolution. You must have a magic computer. Congratulations! [/quote]

Do I think I have a magical computer? No. But the proof is in the pudding as we say in Australia.

Sims 4 settings according to GeoForce Experience

kYu5JC7.png

As you can see what Nvidia says should be my optimal settings and what my actual settings are that I can achieve are way way above what should be possible.

The same goes for Resident Evil 6. The settings are what the game put as my default and what I play it, unlike Nvidia who seems to think everything should be on the lowest settings.

790xjlp.png

Again do I think my computer is magical? No. But I'll live with my computer being able to play games, that I shouldn't be able to play. Now back to playing TS4 in glorious 1080p.

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    edited May 2017
    To answer your question, yes, you're lucky to have a computer like that. But this list is just a general one.

Like what phoebebebe said, your computer might be getting by with the game but someone else with the same specs might not cuz every computer is different.

Have fun with the game.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • jessica925jessica925 Posts: 33 Member
    I always use this as a go to reference, but unfortunately can't see the color coding for the graphics cards on the first page anymore.
    jessica925 wrote: »
    I always use this as a go to reference, but unfortunately can't see the color coding for the graphics cards on the first page anymore.

It has been mentioned many times throughout this thread that this is a player made list, not an official EA list. The person who created this list abandoned this thread over a year and 1/2 ago. It is not a list that one should rely on or use. The game has had many add ons since this list was created and 1/2 those cards will no longer run the game. It is best you look at recommended requirements on the EA official web to survive the game.

From the official EA web requirements for desktop

RECOMMENDED SPECS:
    Thanks for the response. I actually can't find the recommended specs on the EA site, only the minimum, but I do see a link to an external site from their site to get the recommended requirements. I also wasn't sure if their requirements were for the base game only or for the base game plus packs. Out of curiosity, since they don't mention AMD for the video card, but do for the processor does that mean they don't recommend it? I don't have an AMD video card but I see questions from people who do.
    > @jessica925 said:
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks for the response. I actually can't find the recommended specs on the EA site, only the minimum, but I do see a link to an external site from their site to get the recommended requirements. I also wasn't sure if their requirements were for the base game only or for the base game plus packs. Out of curiosity, since they don't mention AMD for the video card, but do for the processor does that mean they don't recommend it? I don't have an AMD video card but I see questions from people who do.

Sorry I see it the recommended requirements now (I've looked a few times before and never noted a scroll bar on the bottom :) ). I'm still curious if this is for the base game only or if it will cover the base game plus expansion packs. Thanks!

Thanks for the response. I actually can't find the recommended specs on the EA site, only the minimum, but I do see a link to an external site from their site to get the recommended requirements. I also wasn't sure if their requirements were for the base game only or for the base game plus packs. Out of curiosity, since they don't mention AMD for the video card, but do for the processor does that mean they don't recommend it? I don't have an AMD video card but I see questions from people who do.

your welcome. The recommended are on the EA web. My post above listing recommended specs is copied and pasted right off the EA web . The recommended should be for the complete game as you add more packs , patches eps, game packs etc.

The requirements are for desktop

This game is very processor heavy. With AMD we recommend FX 8000 series or intel i5

Video cards they don't make 600 Nvidia series anymore so you have to find a newer Nvidia or AMD equivalent . You can use sites like GPU boss to compare cards to the GTX 650 card
    > @jessica925 said:
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks for the response. I actually can't find the recommended specs on the EA site, only the minimum, but I do see a link to an external site from their site to get the recommended requirements. I also wasn't sure if their requirements were for the base game only or for the base game plus packs. Out of curiosity, since they don't mention AMD for the video card, but do for the processor does that mean they don't recommend it? I don't have an AMD video card but I see questions from people who do.

Sorry I see it the recommended requirements now (I've looked a few times before and never noted a scroll bar on the bottom :) ). I'm still curious if this is for the base game only or if it will cover the base game plus expansion packs. Thanks!

I would ignore the minimum requirements. They are for base game only and they don't make that hardware anymore. Recommended covers the whole complete game as more gets added
    I do tend to ignore the minimum requirements :smile: , which is why I never used the EA site since I didn't see the scroll to get the recommended requirements any time I looked before. I actually play on a gaming laptop but am looking into replacing it with a desktop in the next few months and am just starting to do my research now. I'm also on a Sims 4 Facebook group where people ask questions about specs all the time, however, the majority seem to be playing with laptops.
    I do tend to ignore the minimum requirements :smile: , which is why I never used the EA site since I didn't see the scroll to get the recommended requirements any time I looked before. I actually play on a gaming laptop but am looking into replacing it with a desktop in the next few months and am just starting to do my research now. I'm also on a Sims 4 Facebook group where people ask questions about specs all the time, however, the majority seem to be playing with laptops.

A lot of people play with laptop. Desktop advice if your building custom I would speak to @chesterbigbird who is our forum build expert.
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > jessica925 wrote: »
    >
    > I do tend to ignore the minimum requirements :smile: , which is why I never used the EA site since I didn't see the scroll to get the recommended requirements any time I looked before. I actually play on a gaming laptop but am looking into replacing it with a desktop in the next few months and am just starting to do my research now. I'm also on a Sims 4 Facebook group where people ask questions about specs all the time, however, the majority seem to be playing with laptops.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > A lot of people play with laptop. Desktop advice if your building custom I would speak to @chesterbigbird who is our forum build expert.

Thanks! I've bookmarked the GPU Boss site so I can use it going forward. I'm not that familiar with posting on the forums (as you can probably tell from the minimal number of posts I've done :smile: ), so I'm not sure how to 'speak' to him. Do you have any advice on how to do that? I am considering building custom if I can, but not sure what the costs would be (I'm in Canada). I currently have a MSI laptop with an i7-4720Q CPU @ 2.60GHz, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (windows 10 64 bit operating system). It seems to run okay, but it can get a bit hot when playing Sims (I do use a cooling pad to try and help with this), particularly if I'm recording so I'm hoping getting a decent desktop could help with that, as well as hopefully increase my frame rate when I'm recording. Thanks!
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > jessica925 wrote: »
    >
    > I do tend to ignore the minimum requirements :smile: , which is why I never used the EA site since I didn't see the scroll to get the recommended requirements any time I looked before. I actually play on a gaming laptop but am looking into replacing it with a desktop in the next few months and am just starting to do my research now. I'm also on a Sims 4 Facebook group where people ask questions about specs all the time, however, the majority seem to be playing with laptops.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > A lot of people play with laptop. Desktop advice if your building custom I would speak to @chesterbigbird who is our forum build expert.

Thanks! I've bookmarked the GPU Boss site so I can use it going forward. I'm not that familiar with posting on the forums (as you can probably tell from the minimal number of posts I've done :smile: ), so I'm not sure how to 'speak' to him. Do you have any advice on how to do that? I am considering building custom if I can, but not sure what the costs would be (I'm in Canada). I currently have a MSI laptop with an i7-4720Q CPU @ 2.60GHz, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (windows 10 64 bit operating system). It seems to run okay, but it can get a bit hot when playing Sims (I do use a cooling pad to try and help with this), particularly if I'm recording so I'm hoping getting a decent desktop could help with that, as well as hopefully increase my frame rate when I'm recording. Thanks!

Your welcome. I sent you a 3 way PM with chester included so she can help you with a computer in Canada
  • elineogelineog Posts: 2 New Member
    I know this is an old thread, but i just cant find a proper answer to this anywhere! Im looking at a PC that I would like to play sims 2 UC, sims 3 and sims 4 on!
    -7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor
    -Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    -16GB, 2400MHz, DDR4; up to 32GB optional
    -512GB PCIe Solid State Drive
    Does anyone know if this can run the sims games smoothly? Especially the sims 2 ultimate collection since it is an old game?
    elineog wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but i just cant find a proper answer to this anywhere! Im looking at a PC that I would like to play sims 2 UC, sims 3 and sims 4 on!
    -7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor
    -Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    -16GB, 2400MHz, DDR4; up to 32GB optional
    -512GB PCIe Solid State Drive
    Does anyone know if this can run the sims games smoothly? Especially the sims 2 ultimate collection since it is an old game?

You did not post the video card on this laptop but the rest of it meets requirements. It's kind of a small hard drive if running all three games especially if you use allot of cc in the games. If your not playing with allot of cc you should be ok.

The sims 2 UC has issues with windows 10 and certain updates but you can post here and ask about the windows 10 issue http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-2-general-discussion
  • elineogelineog Posts: 2 New Member
    > @phoebebebe13 said:

> You did not post the video card on this laptop but the rest of it meets requirements. It's kind of a small hard drive if running all three games especially if you use allot of cc in the games. If your not playing with allot of cc you should be ok.
    >
    > The sims 2 UC has issues with windows 10 and certain updates but you can post here and ask about the windows 10 issue http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-2-general-discussion

Okay thank you! Its a NVIDIA geforce gtx 1050 with 4gb GDDR5. I think ive read that it should be fine with the newer games atleast
    elineog wrote: »
    > @phoebebebe13 said:

> You did not post the video card on this laptop but the rest of it meets requirements. It's kind of a small hard drive if running all three games especially if you use allot of cc in the games. If your not playing with allot of cc you should be ok.
    >
    > The sims 2 UC has issues with windows 10 and certain updates but you can post here and ask about the windows 10 issue http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-2-general-discussion

Okay thank you! Its a NVIDIA geforce gtx 1050 with 4gb GDDR5. I think ive read that it should be fine with the newer games atleast

Your welcome . the GTX 1050 will be fine to run all three games. You just need to check on windows 10 and the sims 2 UC
  • KjrockPlayerKjrockPlayer Posts: 305 Member
    I have a Desk-Top with AMD FX-4300 3.80GHz and main Card is GTX 960 2G with 16g of ram the sims 4 works very well and I can play most games Medium to High as long as I turn of Shadows and sunglaze in game's like fallout 4
  • HerOnlySunshineHerOnlySunshine Posts: 16 Member
    Are there any graphic cards for pc, that will run the game smoothly on ultra (with expansion packs) and that aren't too expensive?
    Are there any graphic cards for pc, that will run the game smoothly on ultra (with expansion packs) and that aren't too expensive?

Do you have a desktop and your looking to possibly upgrade or are you buying a new desktop?
  • HerOnlySunshineHerOnlySunshine Posts: 16 Member
    @phoebebebe13 buying a new one, i'll get a custom build, and i need to know what the ideal specs are
    @phoebebebe13 buying a new one, i'll get a custom build, and i need to know what the ideal specs are

You would need to speak to @chesterbigbird when she comes on the forum later. What is your country and budget? Are you building yourself or are you using a computer company to build it for you?