Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buying sims 4 DVD and downloading it from origin. Is it possible?

It is a lot cheaper (£10!) to buy the sims 4 DVD on Amazon than the digital download directly from origin. But my laptop doesn't have a optical drive. Can I still get the DVD from Amazon, and download the digital version from origin by entering the code?

Thanks!

Comments

• mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    If I understand correctly, yes because that's how games typically work nowadays. Sometimes I buy a game and the only thing on the disk is a link to Steam for code entry.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • JadeeMelissaaJadeeMelissaa Posts: 40 New Member
    I'm in a similar situation, I like to have the disc but my laptop has problems with the drive :/
  • maggidestomaggidesto Posts: 240 Member
    If you're looking on Amazon UK, the cheapest is £38 unless you can see something I can't. If so, please do tell :)
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Yes it is £38 but digital download from origin is £49.99!!!!
  • JadeeMelissaaJadeeMelissaa Posts: 40 New Member
    If you don't want to buy online its also £38 at Tesco
    Presumably it is also DVD format from tesco. I hope I can still use the code to download the game from origin
  • Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited August 2014
    Yes, you should be able to. For those that don't know how, go up to where it says 'Origin' (top left) click it and on the drop down menu you'll see 'Redeem Product Code'. Click it, put the number in there, it should be added to your account and you can then download the game from your My Games library.

I plan to do it that way, I want a physical copy but I don't really want to deal with discs.
    34336_s.gif
  • TMWDSiTMWDSi Posts: 90 Member
    edited August 2014
    Yes. This is possible and my preferred method. Obtain the disc version, register the code on Origin, make image of the disc for backup, never touch the disc again. It's only for collection/authenticity purposes for me.
  • maggidestomaggidesto Posts: 240 Member
    Sorry, thought you meant it cost £10 and got excited :D
  • NormanYapNormanYap Posts: 33 Member
    Yeah the game will come with a code which you can activate on Origin.
    I had a lot of problem with TS3 on origin. My game keeps disappearing and I had to talk to EA customer service to get it back... TMWDSI I really like your avatar! Sims 4 CAS is so amazing. I dislike the plastic robotic looks of the sims in TS3> @maggidesto said:
    > Sorry, thought you meant it cost £10 and got excited

Sorry I meant it is£10 cheaper....
  • Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    I buy the Disc and register it on Origin it then appears in my Library and I download the Digital copy. I pack the the disk
    away having never used it and play from the digital copy.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Sure, why not.
  • LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    yeah it is my parents bought me into the future and my cd drive on my laptop decided to stop when it was downloading. I didn't know till i updated my origin that it was there so i tried downloading it from there and it worked. plus it didn't give me any trouble when downloading! plus you can play without a disk so its really good!
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Can't tell you how many times I've purchased a physical copy only to register it to my account and download the digital copy from my Origin client. The disc never gets used. :p Only time I bother purchasing physical copies now is because of sales.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited August 2014
    TMWDSi wrote: »
    Yes. This is possible and my preferred method. Obtain the disc version, register the code on Origin, make image of the disc for backup, never touch the disc again. It's only for collection/authenticity purposes for me.

Interesting, does that mean that you do not have to have the disk in to play, even though you got the disk.
    can you still use the disk also.
    What do you mean to make a image of the disk, are you talking about a picture in your pictures, and why?
    Is registering the code on Origin the same as when you put your disk in and register you game.
    I notice that all my games are on My Games on origin, does that mean I can play them without my disk.

• Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    edited August 2014
    Evalen wrote: »

Interesting, does that mean that you do not have to have the disk in to play, even though you got the disk.
    What do you mean to make a image of the disk, are you talking about a picture in your pictures, and why?
    Is registering the code on Origin the same as when you put your disk in and register you game.
    I notice that all my games are on My Games on origin, does that mean I can play them without my disk.

Yes when you register using the code from your disc Origin put a Digital version in your library. You can then play without the Disc. You download the Digital version in your library.
    I use steam and Origin it means my games are stored in the cloud and I do not have to keep them all on my Disc drive becausr you can uninstall and re install when you want to you only have to keep your saves on your drive this means I have access to all my games at a touch of a button no hunting for discs. And loads of room on my main drive
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited August 2014
    Snosrap522 wrote: »

Yes when you register using the code from your disc Origin put a Digital version in your library. You can then play without the Disc. You download the Digital version in your library.
    I use steam and Origin it means my games are stored in the cloud and I do not have to keep them all on my Disc drive becausr you can uninstall and re install when you want to you only have to keep your saves on your drive this means I have access to all my games at a touch of a button no hunting for discs. And loads of room on my main drive

Thanks very informative, I might try this out. I might put it on my Lap top and see if the sims 4 plays better on it now.
    I will be using the Sims on my desk top mainly. but it would be nice to be able to just take my laptop somewhere and play.
    Thanks.

• TMWDSiTMWDSi Posts: 90 Member

A disc image is a copy of a disc in file form. I keep a copy of the disc on a flash drive in case I ever need to retrieve files from it and do not want to physically insert the disc to do so.

If you download the game from Origin, you will not be asked for a disc upon starting the game. It will act as if you had purchased it directly from the Origin store.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I did that with Sims 3 ITF because my optical drive has been acting up (need to get this computer into the shop before extended warranty expires in October); I entered the code in the box to register it, then I was able to download the game from Origin and install it.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)