Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can anyone explain the vehicle fetish in TS3 - anyone explored it?

There is a trait called Vehicle Enthusiast. I've been aware of it for ages - but have never selected it.

The wiki page states:
Attributes

Vehicle Enthusiasts' relationship with their cars decay more slowly each day.
Vehicle Enthusiasts build relationships with vehicles more quickly.
Vehicle Enthusiasts like using their car more than carpooling.[confirmation needed]
Vehicle Enthusiasts only need to ride their cars 8 times to build relationships. Other Sims normally need to ride at least 60 times.

Special Interactions

Vehicle Enthusiasts can name their vehicles without building relationship with them.

The question being - what is the relationship with the vehicle - what's the point of building it up? What exactly does this all lead to?

Do vehicles end up doing things different when the relationship is raised - do Sims talk to their vehicles?

In a nutshell, what does this thing do - what's the point of it?

Comments

• KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    There's not really a point to it. I think Sims become 'best friends' with their vehicles, which I think is creepy and annoying. They get a 'lost a friend' moodlet when you sell their cars, too.
  • CayziCayzi Posts: 402 Member
    Yeah there's no point. The car just shows up in the relationship panels and you can name it. It's silly.
    LE45tmE.png
  • lydiad206lydiad206 Posts: 3,747 Member
    It is pretty silly. No point at all, but if you think about it there are people out there that really do love their cars, and name them.
    er0s4g.jpg
  • ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited August 2014
    that 'being friends with your car' thing is stupid and annoying. i wish my sims would stop friending their car. i have to change cars every few (sim) years to avoid this
  • RayainRayain Posts: 114 Member
    edited August 2014
    Your car can show up in your relationship panel if you have the trait or not. Having just makes it show up quicker. I've actually sold my sims car just to get rid of the relationship.
    f63asnS.jpg?3

• CalvinBruce_ukCalvinBruce_uk Posts: 576 Member
    lydiad206 wrote: »
    It is pretty silly. No point at all, but if you think about it there are people out there that really do love their cars, and name them.

Guilty! :blush:

His name is Hulk - The big green mean machine.

Yes I'm leaving now.... :neutral_face:
  • CatrillaCatrilla Posts: 1,708 Member
    great, now i have the Queen song in my head.
    Queen - I'm In Love With My Car (Official Video)
    youtube (noticed that other songs listed on side had 10 Most Hated Songs); no direct link as someone swore in the comment section.
  • LuckySkyLuckySky Posts: 1,054 Member
    It is a pretty useless trait. You can become best friends with your vehicle... and.... nothing else.
  • justdancerebeccajustdancerebecca Posts: 1,334 Member
    I thought it was reeeeeeeeal creepy the first time a car showed up in my Sim's relationship panel..
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    Just checking back into this thread.

Thanks for the answers - I was suspicious that either it was a duff trait or it really was some weird trait that had your vehicle acting like the 'Imaginary Friend' and following your Sim around, etc.
  • mlnov39mlnov39 Posts: 2,294 Member
    Didn't car enthusiast come with a stuff pack? Because if it did then how come I get the car in the relationship panel but I don't have said SP?
  • plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    mlnov39 wrote: »
    Didn't car enthusiast come with a stuff pack? Because if it did then how come I get the car in the relationship panel but I don't have said SP?
    I think it was also added to a patch.
  • slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    The first time my sim's car appeared in the relationship panel, I thought it was a glitch. Now I know better.

Personally, I think it is kind of cute. This is coming from someone who works at a car dealership and is a bit of a car enthusiast herself. ;)
  • CalvinBruce_ukCalvinBruce_uk Posts: 576 Member
    plopppo wrote: »
    mlnov39 wrote: »
    I think it was also added to a patch.

I don't have any SP so this must be correct! ;)
  • ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    i am also guilty of naming my cars haha (my car's name is Spooky) but i just dont like this feature in sims. the car clogs up the relationship panel and is just kinda useless
  • justdancerebeccajustdancerebecca Posts: 1,334 Member
    edited August 2014
    I remember the first car I found in my relationship panel. It was a black VFN Kompensator. Lmao
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    sims become best friends with the car lmao
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Ijustaperson1Ijustaperson1 Posts: 1 New Member
    It was probably added for people who a petrol heads in real life.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    It's just something silly. I never really cared for it.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    I think they added it for realism. Like children get affection for stuffed toys, and gamers for their PCs or consoles, many people grow attached to their cars.
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    My younger sister named her car "Yoda"! It's a 95 Toyota Corolla and kinda greenish-turquoise color.

Yoda only has 265,000 miles on him, and (as long as she keeps the engine fluids in check) Yoda will have 265,000+ more miles to live! :)
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    Catrilla wrote: »
    great, now i have the Queen song in my head.
    Queen - I'm In Love With My Car (Official Video)
    youtube (noticed that other songs listed on side had 10 Most Hated Songs); no direct link as someone swore in the comment section.

FYI, when you put a youtube URL in, it shows that video in your post & people can watch the video without actually going to the youtube page itself. So as long as the video content is ok, there should be no problem, as people are not seeing the comment section of the video page.

Just copy the url from the youtube page & paste it straight into the post, don't put it in hyperlink tags
    Thus
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaEM4JYFPfw

is shown as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaEM4JYFPfw

No worries about sweary youtube comments!
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    plopppo wrote: »
    There is a trait called Vehicle Enthusiast. I've been aware of it for ages - but have never selected it.

The wiki page states:
    Attributes

Vehicle Enthusiasts' relationship with their cars decay more slowly each day.
    Vehicle Enthusiasts build relationships with vehicles more quickly.
    Vehicle Enthusiasts like using their car more than carpooling.[confirmation needed]
    Vehicle Enthusiasts only need to ride their cars 8 times to build relationships. Other Sims normally need to ride at least 60 times.

Special Interactions

Vehicle Enthusiasts can name their vehicles without building relationship with them.

The question being - what is the relationship with the vehicle - what's the point of building it up? What exactly does this all lead to?

Do vehicles end up doing things different when the relationship is raised - do Sims talk to their vehicles?

In a nutshell, what does this thing do - what's the point of it?

Because my sims can love Fresh Price cars as much as I do. :D
    I love the Fast Lane stuff pack. There were a few nice clothes in it, some nice shoes, OK cars, and some cool motorcycles.
    I still prefer Fresh Prince and the EA/Real world cars promotions.
    The car icon in their relationship panel allows me to simply click on the icon for them to go out for a drive.

Toss in the fixer upper cars get a much needed boost in performance.
    Too bad there aren't more cars like the fixer upper car though.
    Between Fast Lane, Fresh Prince, and the Fixer Upper Store car, I find cars more enjoyable in TS3,

Screenshot-222.jpg

Screenshot-837.jpg

Screenshot-262.jpg

Screenshot-1270_1.jpg
    Too bad EA didn't think of doing this for more cars in Fast Lane.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2017
    My younger sister named her car "Yoda"! It's a 95 Toyota Corolla and kinda greenish-turquoise color.

Yoda only has 265,000 miles on him, and (as long as she keeps the engine fluids in check) Yoda will have 265,000+ more miles to live! :)
    I named my first car 'Droef', which means sad in my language. The way his headlights were positioned made him look sad :mrgreen:
    5JZ57S6.png