Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Average Age of PCs Worldwide

I know there has been some discussion as to why EA made the specs so low for The Sims 4. It seemed to me that many of the view points were coming from North American and Western Europe. But, the Sims is sold world-wide.

Take a look at the forecasted average PC age world-wide ( Statista ):
2j0fsbd.jpg

In Latin America people are expected to still be using 9 year old computers in 2015, so might still have 32-bit systems running XP.

352hhm8.jpg

It's a similar situation in Eastern Europe where the average PC is estimated around 7 years old.

10d9j88.jpg

Just some food for thought. . .

Comments

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited August 2014
    When is that from? A forecast is a prediction of the way something is going to go, not data on how it actually went.

Edit: I found it. And 5 years is not that old. Sims 2 had a lot more content in it's base game and ran on computers 10 years ago. Sims 3 had even more and ran/runs on computers 5 years old now. So what's the point of harping on this as a selling point? Have you looked at how low the specs are and compared it to other games being put out now? The comparisons make it look pathetic, not good.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited August 2014
    lisamwitt wrote:
    When is that from? A forecast is a prediction of the way something is going to go, not data on how it actually went.

Yes, the data is projected through 2015, which hasn't happened yet. I didn't find freely available stats on more recent projections. If you have some feel free to post.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2014
    My desktop is barely 2 1/2 years old and even I know I need to upgrade my now mid grade card since it is no longer ranking in the top tier for it's age, along with a new higher watt PSU.

I have an old laptop around here, which is barely a 1.4 ghz Intel processor and even I know The Sims 4 wouldn't play well on that machine...with an old Intel 945 chip. Seriously, people need to upgrade when they can. A video card today cost less sometimes than the amount of this game. And light years in advancement than what is in their or my machines currently.

Even I know when something has fallen down on a list of better cards. Or when a card is No Longer Supported by the manufacturer that makes them and Deemed Obsolete. And not longer even gets driver updates.

And I am old compared to a fifteen year old or a twenty year old.

That info is out there, no need to stay in the dark when there is light for the curious who have time to search for games but no time to search for what the heck is in their machines.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited August 2014
    I'm not seeing readily available statistics for current computer ownership, or anything from anyone else on the topic at all.
    But I think what would be more relevant is not the average age of computers but rather, computers used by gamers. I haven't found anything on that. Mine is new, but from 2012. Our kids computers range from 2-4 years old.
    And they all have Sims on them.
    It's nice to say that people with low end machines will be able to play. But it just doesn't seem like a good selling point, when you are talking to people who are buying a typically graphics heavy, memory hogging game, to say that it will run on low end machines. It implies you had to downgrade to get it there.
    edited August 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    My desktop is barely 2 1/2 years old and even I know I need to upgrade my now mid grade card since it is no longer ranking in the top tier for it's age, along with a new higher watt PSU.

I have an old laptop around here, which is barely a 1.4 ghz Intel processor and even I know The Sims 4 wouldn't play well on that machine...with an old Intel 945 chip. Seriously, people need to upgrade when they can. A video card today cost less sometimes than the amount of this game. And light years in advancement than what is in their or my machines currently.

Even I know when something has fallen down on a list of better cards. Or when a card is No Longer Supported by the manufacturer that makes them and Deemed Obsolete. And not longer even gets driver updates.

That info is out there, no need to stay in the dark when there is light for the curious who have time to search for games but no time to search for what the heck is in their machines.

Well said. This was broached in another thread. People who want to play games should make sure they can. Computers are always changing and advancing, and most games do to. This is a rare time when I'm seeing company take a step backwards. If you can't afford an upgrade, perhaps your priorities should be elsewhere. I mean, it's not like Sims 4 is cheap, it's $70.
  • Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited August 2014
    The age of a computer doesn't matter so much as the guts of it do and even an 8 year old comp could run AAA titles fine if built right. Another thing to keep in mind is PCs are pretty easy to upgrade .
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    edited August 2014
    How can average age go up by more than 1 in one year? I'm confused xD
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2014
    The age of a computer doesn't matter so much as the guts of it do and even an 8 year old comp could run AAA titles fine if built right. Another thing to keep in mind is PCs are pretty easy to upgrade .

Sorry, I totally disagree about an eight year old PC.

Unless someone knows what new card comes out next week and gets their hands on it today, then an eight year old card is crap as most games evolve unlike this one.

ATI and Nvidia put out new cards (many of them) every year. Granted sometimes the differences in them from one level to the next don't rate that much difference, but cutting edge processors do matter, and so do the newer cards.

For one simple fact these manufacturers not only produce a new card for better innovative graphics but to address cooling problems with past cards of that type, or better FPS, or to address problems with games they Do Support.

It's not all about the money with video card manufacturers, sometimes it is to improve the past card to become something better and more desirable for a gamer or IT person. They don't just make newer cards for better graphics but everything that gets reported to them by those of us who actually go to their sites and tell them what problems we have with their cards.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited August 2014
    Cinebar wrote:

Cinebar, I respect what you're saying, but your viewpoint doesn't take into account the reality that people do not do as you think they should or would desire for them to do, and EA is taking advantage of a reality, not an ideal.

It also doesn't take into account that in other parts of the world there are sometimes barriers to acquisition that the US and Western Europe do not have. It's not just lack of knowledge or interest that keeps people from having up-to-date equipment. http://gamemoir.com/2013/08/29/being-a-gamer-in-latin-america/

The reason why consoles are so expensive and their games can be sold for as much as 4 times the normal price is due to very complex economic and legal reasons. Basically, there is no legal commercial framework for the importation of software or electronics that discriminates well enough for things like video games and consoles, so trade tariffs are incredibly high and tax rates too steep. A Nintendo 3DS can have the same tax importation rate as a ******* tractor or food processing machine or whatnot. Obviously each country has variations but the consensus is one: video games have always been too costly to afford.

In some parts of the world they also face additional barriers of climate, war, politics, or famine. It's not just people too lazy to get off the couch or look up some basic information who don't have state-of-the-art systems.

Personally, I still think that EA could have done more to please both ends of the spectrum, like go to 64-bit programming to allow higher end computers to take advantage of their expanded memory capacity.

Anyway, it's food for thought on why EA did what they did in regards to the specs.
  • Porcelain21Porcelain21 Posts: 111 New Member
    edited August 2014
    If someone lacks the funds to upgrade their computer within a certain time, is it not logical to assume they will be less likely to spend as much money on the Sims franchise (especially given their increasing price points)? But you know...whatever...lets limit those of us who can afford to purchase your products.
    edited August 2014
    As I've pointed out before, if you are worried about excessive bills, famine, war, or what have you, you should not be worried about buying a nice computer or upgrading one or blowing $60+ on a game. Playing games is a fun hobby to blow your money on, not a right.

Here is an interesting little tidbit on 32 bit vs. 64 bit. http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/06/64-bit-vs-32-bit/
  • stylsimstylsim Posts: 222 Member
    edited August 2014
    You guys have to realize that most of the people who play the sims are casual gamers who do not want to buy a whole new system just to play a $60 game. If you have a high end fully upgraded pc that's great for you, but the majority do not own or cannot afford gaming computers.
    edited August 2014
    lisamwitt wrote:
    As I've pointed out before, if you are worried about excessive bills, famine, war, or what have you, you should not be worried about buying a nice computer or upgrading one or blowing $60+ on a game. Playing games is a fun hobby to blow your money on, not a right.
    You don't look at someone who has money to blow on a nice car, then go to the car manufacturer and ask them to strip the car down to it's bare bones so you can have one too. You buy the car you can afford instead.

Well, no one is claiming playing a video game is a basic 'human right'. Some are pointing out that EA is trying to tap into a market for whom 7-9 year old computers are a reality. I don't know how large this gaming market is for EA, but from everything I've read, Latin America, Brazil in particular, is emerging and hotspot for the gaming industry to try to tap into.

Others are just pointing out that your personal situation or experience is vastly different from some others'. It's kind of silly to hold everyone to a single standard when circumstances vary so much.
    edited August 2014
    stylsim wrote:
    You guys have to realize that most of the people who play the sims are casual gamers who do not want to buy a whole new system just to play a $60 game. If you have a high end fully upgraded pc that's great for you, but the majority do not own or cannot afford gaming computers.

I guess I just don't see $60 as casual. To me, that's saving up for two paychecks at least and then justifying it compared to other things. Sims is referred to as a casual gaming experience because of how it's gameplay is compared to other games, but the price tag is far from casual.
    But its all moot really since Sims 4 will run on lower end machines.
    I have a Mac anyway, so I don't know why I care. I guess just because I'm so disappointed.
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited August 2014
    A HUGE chunk of those are corporate machines, which are not traded up as often.

Very misleading and irrelevant to this conversation.

Also, averages can be confusing. It doesn't mean MOST PCs are five years old. Just that all of their ages combined and divided by their number is five.

EA has data that 70% of simplayers are on 64 bit, multicore machines.
    edited August 2014
    pguida wrote:
    EA has data that 70% of simplayers are on 64 bit, multicore machines.

Where is this info?
    edited August 2014
    Did you know 64 bit processors have been around since 1975? I saw that today and was surprised. They didn't make it into home computing until 2003. Even my iPhone is 64 bit.

Info on gamers: http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/esa_ef_2013.pdf

There's nothing there about who owns what type of computer, but the data is interesting nonetheless. Looking at the data there, I don't think EA paid attention to the average age (or sex) of players this time around when making their decisions.
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm still trying to understand how Sims 2 is more demanding on graphics than Sims 3. :shock:
    This laptop can run Skyrim, Dragon Age, Sims 3 and stuff like that, but with The Sims 2 there are graphical problems everywhere O.O
    It's only bout 2 years old as well.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
    edited August 2014
    Sims 2 runs great on my Macbook. But my husband actually did tweak the graphics rules files for me because it was made to run on lower end machines, mine is too high for it. The processor would actually get ahead of the rendering in the game, or something to that effect. That's actually part of my concern with Sims 4, assuming they ever release a Mac version, and it finally gets my interest a few EP's in.
    edited August 2014
    lisamwitt wrote:

Yes, I saw this. There were some interesting stats in there.
    edited August 2014
    lisamwitt wrote:
    I'm still trying to understand how Sims 2 is more demanding on graphics than Sims 3.
    This laptop can run Skyrim, Dragon Age, Sims 3 and stuff like that, but with The Sims 2 there are graphical problems everywhere O.O
    It's only bout 2 years old as well.

Sims 2 runs great on my Macbook. But my husband actually did tweak the graphics rules files for me because it was made to run on lower end machines, mine is too high for it. The processor would actually get ahead of the rendering in the game, or something to that effect. That's actually part of my concern with Sims 4, assuming they ever release a Mac version, and it finally gets my interest a few EP's in.

Yeah, it's be cause the game hasn't been designed to work with today's high-end computers. Some file tweaking should help. If you're having problems with game resolution or shadow boxes, you can try these suggestions. http://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-sims-2-ultimate-collection-remove-black-squares/