Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will all the Sims Act Comical?

All the Previews and trailers i've seen so far have sims acting Comical.

BUt what if you want serious people? Like a nice quiet woman who moves normally without exagerating.

or a sexy woman who moves nicely and is serious but not Comical.

I don't know, it's gonna be disappointing if everyone acts like a total comical character and so far that's what I'm getting out of the Previews and images and videos of Sims 4.

I think the Emotions system will be what makes them comical. And if that's what the Emotions systems does, i won't like it that much.

Even having seen the Sad emotion in the Preview video with that guy who is sad.....He looks comical Sad.. Not seriously sad. That's not gonna work for me.

Comments

• UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sims acted pretty comical in TS3 too some of them. The neurotic insane ones especially. TS4 will be more lively and animated and humanlike in their depth but they'll probably still have that "feeling" of being an exaggeration of life stuff that so far TS3 and TS2 have ((I never played TS1)).

For walks I don't find them to be that crazy, some of them. There are a few that are very sterotyped to known caricatures but not sure if you can toggle ones off or on. That's probably something best answered in the live gameplay video coming up.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited July 2014
    That's certainly the impression that they give. I have yet to see any sims that don't come across as hammy actors. A bit of that may be funny, but I agree that it would be nice to be able to have some serious or more subdued sims. There seems to be a high degree of comedy in TS4, and that's not bad, but I also think that it could get old if it's done in a heavy handed way. And I'm wondering if some of that may just be played up for the trailers. I sincerely hope that they don't all always act like that. I guess we'll see when they release the demo.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited July 2014
    Pretty sure that's the new normal, unfortunately.

HystericalSim2_zpsffad8f3d.jpg

sims_4_gamescom_peter_04-pc-games.jpg

Sims4_Aufmacher-pcgh.jpg

It's either get used to it, or (as in my case) get gone.
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited July 2014
    vesvezDat wrote:

BUt what if you want serious people? Like a nice quiet woman who moves normally without exagerating.

I wonder that too. People pushed too hard for humor and now it feels like a Saturday morning cartoon.
  • WissaWolfWissaWolf Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2014
    I definitely see where you're coming from. Seems way too cartoony and happy-go-lucky for me.
    When my sims are sad, I want them to be really depressed.. not droopy faces and animated tears flying off face.. or walking all slumped. I am depressed myself and I don't see this as accurate.
    I was hoping the walks would be like the ones from Second Life. They have sexy, shy, fashionable, and an option to just walk normal.. if you're not into that kinda stuff. They aren't exagerrated, but definitely noticeable and they give some personality to your characters.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2014
    pguida wrote:
    vesvezDat wrote:

I wonder that too. People pushed too hard for humor and now it feels like a Saturday morning cartoon.

I don't think people pushed too hard for humor and expressions to come back into the series, I just think EA is the Evil Genie. Really, anytime we ask for something it's more like this: "oh, you guys wanted emotions? Here you go! The whole game is about emotions!" Or "Oh you wanted Sims emitting more expressions? Here you go, Sims that look like a spot on the Sat. Moring Cartoon Network!" Or "Oh, please evil genie, could you please improve Story Progression so I can protect some of my households?'

"Of course, Be Gone Story Progression!"
    Or "Dear evil genie could you please make a game that doesn't lag because routing is so bad or the path finding is so lame?' "Of course, Poof, here's you a new world with 25 lots, there's no way, I, the evil genie screwed that one up.' (evil genie looks around wondering if Sims are stuck in the next neighborhood and can't get home)

LOL.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • menemene Posts: 2,322 Member
    edited July 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    Pretty sure that's the new normal, unfortunately.

HystericalSim2_zpsffad8f3d.jpg

sims_4_gamescom_peter_04-pc-games.jpg

Sims4_Aufmacher-pcgh.jpg

It's either get used to it, or (as in my case) get gone.

:shock: these pictures. It's so cartoony and over the top... I don't want this and I would be embarrassed to play it.
    The last picture of the two sims looks so disjointed, like they are totally over emotional but not meshing together at all.
    Unless the gameplay footage is mind blowing, I'm gone
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2014
    My guess is they're comical if you want them to be. Notice how in the last trailer, Ollie was a pretty depressed Sim, and nothing really over the top happened to him. Not saying that all your Sims need to be depressed to not be comical, but basically, it's a choice you can make yourself.

As for the screenshots above, the ones with the Sims making goofy faces was a Gamescom thing they had for people making their Sims at that event. They purposely had them pose like that just for screenshots. And as for the Sim sitting at the table, it looks like he was using the funny face/funny story interaction.
  • Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    As for the screenshots above, the ones with the Sims making goofy faces was a Gamescom thing they had for people making their Sims at that event. They purposely had them pose like that just for screenshots. And as for the Sim sitting at the table, it looks like he was using the funny face/funny story interaction.

These are animations that are present in the game. Obviously. Just because some of the pictures happen to be from Gamescom does not change that fact.
  • vesvezDatvesvezDat Posts: 491 Member
    edited July 2014
    I think they did the whole comical thing as a replacement to being a fun game.
    Like they want to make us laugh by looking at the comical characters and with that hope that we'll get hooked, instead of giving us a truly good game with content and good gameplay.
  • frollo6060frollo6060 Posts: 295 Member
    edited July 2014
    They are trying to sell a game. Yes the sims they show will be fun and happy, it will take a simmer to understand and know that sims not always act like this
  • BobboBobbo Posts: 1,471 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    I don't think people pushed too hard for humor and expressions to come back into the series, I just think EA is the Evil Genie. Really, anytime we ask for something it's more like this: "oh, you guys wanted emotions? Here you go! The whole game is about emotions!" Or "Oh you wanted Sims emitting more expressions? Here you go, Sims that look like a spot on the Sat. Moring Cartoon Network!" Or "Oh, please evil genie, could you please improve Story Progression so I can protect some of my households?'

"Of course, Be Gone Story Progression!"
    Or "Dear evil genie could you please make a game that doesn't lag because routing is so bad or the path finding is so lame?' "Of course, Poof, here's you a new world with 25 lots, there's no way, I, the evil genie screwed that one up.' (evil genie looks around wondering if Sims are stuck in the next neighborhood and can't get home)

LOL.

Some people have been pushing for more humor and charm since TS3 was released.

EAs story progression was either too heavy-handed or too light of a touch. The only way to fix it would be to implement a NRAAS version of it which would be too complicated for some players. I ran with it off for the first 3 years. I will miss the NRAAS version but not the EA version.

EA had to take this game in a new direction or there would have been no point in doing it. This is the result of MUCH feedback.
  • joeyk0987joeyk0987 Posts: 211 Member
    edited July 2014
    Those pictures are like a year old, don't go by them.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited July 2014
    One of the guru's told someone that yes you can play your sim anyway you want, if you want your sim to be just a normal family then you can. What ever way you want your sims to be then you can do that.
    I think that they were just pushing the emotion thing. Also it has a lot to do with what traits you give your sim or what ever you want your sim to be.
    Like making a sim that loves the outdoors would react different then one who hates the outdoors.
    Will there be sims in the world that are silly, maybe, but I will replace the sims I want in my game as it is easier now to do so and not have to worry your game will lag or crash.