Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 - cannot locate CDROM error

After 3 days of trying I finally was able to install and play The Sims 2 on my new laptop. I played for a couple of hours last night and today I put the disk in and clicked 'run' I get as far as the splash screen before the error 'Cannot locate the CD-ROM. Please insert the correct CD-ROM, press 'OK' and restart the application.'
The latest expansion pack I have is Open for Business so I am using that CD to run the game. My laptop recognizes it and it plays other CD's just fine. (This isn't a pirated version in case you are wondering.) I am running it in XP service pack 2 compatibility mode.

Comments

• Vilin213923Vilin213923 Posts: 519 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Bump. Can anyone help?
    edited June 2014
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled and it still give me the same error. Can anyone help?
  • simmysimmysimmysimsimmysimmysimmysim Posts: 476 Member
    edited June 2014
    Try to "Run as Administrator"
    edited June 2014
    Try to "Run as Administrator"
    Tried that but it makes no difference :(
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited June 2014
    You need the latest released to market expansion pack dvd to play. Do you have anything later then OFB? EA uses a copy protection called SafeDisc on their dvd versions. It may be possible the new dvd drive may not be able to handle the copy protection. Do you have any disc emulation software installed (daemon tools)? This can also cause the problem.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • haloujahalouja Posts: 175 Member
    edited June 2014
    I ran into something very similar to this problem years ago on my previous computer with Sims2 - it suddenly started asking me to put the disk in the drive, when the disk was already in the drive; of course, this meant I was unable to play my game. The computer could browse the disk (I could see all the files on it) but the game didn't recognise that the disk was in the drive and therefore wouldn't start. All other disks (such as other non Sims games or music CDs) worked in the drive fine. At the time the on disk security was called something like SecureRom, I think, and the Sims2 forums were alive with complaints about it supposedly messing up computer drives.

EA Customer Help told me to uninstall everything and then reinstall it again but I still had the same problem. Eventually EA Customer Help stopped responding to my requests for assistance and I was forced to go over to "the dark side" for the first time in my life and get a No CD hack, just so that I could play my perfectly legitimately purchased game.

Unfortunately, I don't have a happy ending solution other than what I had to do and since it was some years ago now, I have no idea where I got my "solution" from; I do hope you get this resolved and can play again soon.
    This signature has encountered a problem and will now close; do you want to send an error message?

25Aug2014
    edited July 2014
    halouja wrote:
    I ran into something very similar to this problem years ago on my previous computer with Sims2 - it suddenly started asking me to put the disk in the drive, when the disk was already in the drive; of course, this meant I was unable to play my game. The computer could browse the disk (I could see all the files on it) but the game didn't recognise that the disk was in the drive and therefore wouldn't start. All other disks (such as other non Sims games or music CDs) worked in the drive fine. At the time the on disk security was called something like SecureRom, I think, and the Sims2 forums were alive with complaints about it supposedly messing up computer drives.

EA Customer Help told me to uninstall everything and then reinstall it again but I still had the same problem. Eventually EA Customer Help stopped responding to my requests for assistance and I was forced to go over to "the dark side" for the first time in my life and get a No CD hack, just so that I could play my perfectly legitimately purchased game.

Unfortunately, I don't have a happy ending solution other than what I had to do and since it was some years ago now, I have no idea where I got my "solution" from; I do hope you get this resolved and can play again soon.
    Thanks for your help. I did try a no CD hack to play it but it messed up a lot of things and it is so infuriating. I think I'll buy a stuff pack and see if playing with that disk works but when looking for help there was just nothing.