New update for The Sims Freeplay. Movie Star ---out now! Read more
It's Patch Day for The Sims 4, check out what content and fixes were added by viewing the patch notes here.
Check out what changes will be coming to the forums soon: READ MORE

UPDATED: The list of whats CONFIRMED NOT RETURNING in the series with The Sims 4 as of now...

bflurybflury Posts: 2,604 Member
edited October 2014 in General The Sims 4 Discussions
IMPORTANT: Due to limitations of the new forums we are now maintaining the LIST WITH CURRENT SOURCES on a tumblr website. You can alway find the latest list along with sources there, while our discussions will continue here.

PURPOSE: This list is intended to allow ANYONE familiar with the series, whether the last game they played was original Sims or the latest patched up version of base Sims 3 to take that experience and get a minimum expectation of what The Sims 4 offers. There is plenty of information available elsewhere explaining what is new in the game.

SCOPE: This list includes features that were COMPLETELY CUT, REDUCED, or TWEAKED for the worst from previous base versions within The Sims series. It DOESN’T include missing expansion pack features that should be base by now (i.e. Weather) or new features promised for Sims 4, but later cut such as Colors Impacting Emotions and Woohoo Skills. With the exception of the rumors section, everything noted below is confirmed.

FUTURE PROBABILITY: IT DEPENDS. A few of these features (such as family tree) have been identified as priorities to address. However, nothing is confirmed at the moment. Several of these things such as open worlds and CAST were flat out told there was no chance. Most other features though, including both pools and toddlers, have NOT been identified as a priority for Maxis or promised to return at this point.

UPDATES: Please post any additions along with a source. I will not make changes without valid sources. Corrections are welcome, but to be clear your opinion alone on why a feature is listed is generally not a correction.

SOURCES: Sources are no longer maintained since the game is freely available. However, to propose changes to the list you must include a source that is either a screenshot of the game itself or a quote from a guru/blog.

THANKS: A big shout out to everyone on the original thread who has helped to ensure this list is accurate and complete!!!

But the conversation then changes into discussing what is or isn’t there and the minutiae of differences in each feature along some scale because the easiest way to try and understand something new is to compare and contrast it to what came before.
Graham,
Every series from Mario to Grand Theft Auto typically will cut a feature or two from one installment to the other. That said, I don't believe we, as in most of the people you want to sell this game to, consider these a "minutiae" of differences...

CONFIRMED - MAJOR MISSING FEATURES: (All were in base versions of Sims 3)
No create a style (CAST) - NOT possible in future expansions
No family trees
No Mac version of the game at release (or announced) (in discussions as of 10/1/14)
No modifications to world/public spaces - The park in the demo is a mix of a community lot and public space
No “normal” careers - Law enforcement, Medical, Business, etc. were removed (scheduled for December 2014)
No open world - You must incur a loading screen between each active lot; each neighborhood has 1-5 lots total
No pools (scheduled for November 2014)
No terrain tools other than paint; everything is perfectly flat
No story progression - Sims in the neighborhood age, but do not have children, get jobs, move, get married…etc. without player intervention
No toddlers - Nor were they combined with "enhanced" babies
No way to create/place new lots - And you only have 2 empty ones at the start of the game!

CONFIRMED - MAJOR CUT BACK FEATURES: (All were in base versions of Sims 3)
All buildings on a lot must have the same foundation. No mixing for sheds, garages, etc.
Babies are mere objects - All interactions are through basinet. There are no baby objects. Babies can only be lifted directly above basinet.
Backgrounds are illusions - The buildings in the background are not playable in the game.
Completely FLAT lots - The entire build-able world is completely flat
Fewer floors/levels, limited to three
SIGNIFICANTLY smaller “worlds” of <25 lots compared to 125+ lots in TS3
Smaller lots - Lots are limited to 50x50 instead of 64x64.
Loading screens for individual lots
The map is a two-dimensional picture
Teens are same height as adults and they, along with elders, all look nearly identical.

CONFIRMED - OTHER MISSING GAMEPLAY ELEMENTS: (All were in base versions of Sims 1, Sims 2, or Sims 3)
No acne
No animated hair
No aspiration failures
No babysitters (as NPC for hire)
No basements
No bobble head for selecting actions
No bookstores
No burglars (as NPC)
No cars (not even as décor)
No cashiers
No cemeteries
No cutscenes
No cleaning skill
No clothes shopping
No color wheel, predefined to ~20 colors
No comfort need
No Create a World
No curfew
No customization of multi-tone hair color (users select only main color)
No diseases or illness
No dreams
No environment need
No eyelash length slider
No favorites (food, color, music)
No fears
No firefighters - Be careful with the matches!
No full face make-up
No garage doors
No gardener for hire
No ghosts (added by free patched in 10/1/14)
No grocery stores
No interests
No male body hair
No move object cheat
No newspapers
No opacity slider for makeup
No party invitations from other Sims
No portraits
No private school
No rabbit holes at all - Sims move offscreen for work and school. There are no hospitals, work/school buildings…etc.
No random or accidental deaths
No repairman
No restaurants
No skin slider
No still lifes
No swimming/swimwear - Including lakes, fountains, etc.
No tragic clown or social bunny
No way to watch a Sim commute to work/school
No way to water flower beds/bushes
No website for browsing exchange or store (in-game only)
No zodiac signs

MISSING OBJECTS: (All were in base versions of Sims 1, Sims 2, or Sims 3)
No bikes
No burglar alarms
No changing tables
No cribs
No dishwashers
No highchairs
No hot tubs
No pinball machines
No pool tables
No swings
No trash compactors

CONFIRMED - MISC LIMITING GAME FEATURES:
32-bit executable - TS4 is not 64-bit, and cannot access more than 4GB of RAM. You realize no benefits for more than 4GB of RAM.
Fewer traits in CAS (more traits must be unlocked/earned in-game)
Incompatible Simpoint currency - Sims 3 Store Simpoints do not work with TS4

RUMORED (NOT CONFIRMED, BUT VERY LIKELY):

No Complete Your Set in the store
No exterminator
Premium Membership is REQUIRED to get certain sets on release day or at all
No individual item purchases in store (sets/venues/etc.)
No inheritance
No magazines

But don't worry you can "emotionally" breastfeed (although only while standing and by clicking on a crib?) and they have rocket ships to off screen. Yep, that's the trade off :)

Btw, since a picture is worth a thousand words... I proudly present The Sims 4 World Map! Yep, its that small!
Untitled.jpg
Post edited by bflury on

Comments

• InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited June 2014
    This is the million dollar question.
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 1,813 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Cars are only decor. I'm calling it.
    This
  • Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:

The Prophet has spoken! lol

Pguida has been right about a ton of stuff; I've seen him verbally lambasted by people regarding the missing toddlers, only for him to be proven completely correct. In fact, lol, I'm still curious where the Indiana Jones guy is, who basically called him a nutjob. He's been strangely absent from the forum since that announcement.

• SnootySnooty Posts: 213 Member
    edited June 2014
    They also confirmed that you can't edit public places, there are no favorites (food, color, music), you can't swim anywhere and teens (13-17 in the game) look almost the same as adults.
  • colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    edited June 2014
    They haven't even confirmed cars, garages, and basements yet.

Take a look at a picture of Willow Creek, you will see a car on the road. You will also see what appears to be a garage.
  • Hegemon2222Hegemon2222 Posts: 300 New Member
    edited June 2014
    colton147 wrote:

Take a look at a picture of Willow Creek, you will see a car on the road. You will also see what appears to be a garage.

I don't believe there will be basements in the base game. I'm hoping in an expansion or patch. I think they focused on being able to pick up any house and physically move the entire thing, or being able to raise or lower the foundation at any time, to the detriment of having basements. Hopefully, they can program them back in the game.
  • Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited June 2014
    colton147 wrote:

You will also see a tram on the road. We know now that it is only decor.

As for garages, you're probably mistaken, because the lack of them has been discussed quite extensively.
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited June 2014
    Snooty wrote:
    They also confirmed that you can't edit public places, there are no favorites (food, color, music), you can't swim anywhere and teens (13-17 in the game) look almost the same as adults.

I believe you are correct when you say you can't edit public spaces. So presumably you can't add lots. However, you can edit community and residential lots and if there are only up to 5 lots per neighbourhood I would imagine any editing done to the existing lots would make quite a big difference within that neighbourhood.
  • OolonglongOolonglong Posts: 490 Member
    edited June 2014
    Yep, no basements have been confirmed.

Usable cars, I believe, will be the next thing to be debunked. I know quite a few people miss the animations of them from Sims 2.
  • MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited June 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    pguida wrote:

Pguida has been right about a ton of stuff; I've seen him verbally lambasted by people regarding the missing toddlers, only for him to be proven completely correct. In fact, lol, I'm still curious where the Indiana Jones guy is, who basically called him a nutjob. He's been strangely absent from the forum since that announcement.

He was right about the pools too!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited June 2014
    I feel that cars would be a little useless if there is not really anywhere to actually drive to. Although having said this, they were in Sims 2 and cars did have to be driven out of the neighbourhood.

I must admit, it does seem a little strange having houses with no driveways. That's not really very realistic at all.
  • AbJo129AbJo129 Posts: 376 New Member
    edited June 2014
    colton147 wrote:

Wait what, where is the garage. I have seen every screenshot and video looking for one. If you've seen one please could you post a pic or a link???
  • moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Probably death by scissors too!!! They hinted that in an Easter egg...
  • bflurybflury Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited June 2014
    Snooty wrote:
    Great points. Will edit the list.

All we lost with Sims 2->Sims 3 that I know of was that you couldn't easily import worlds from SimCity and had to use CAW. I am at a lost as to why they think this is a good idea to release a $59.99 game in this current state...

I'm not a game developer, but I sure as heck could do a better job of managing this project and having the common sense to say "no".
    edited June 2014
    There has been serious speculation that ghosts and aliens are out too when supernaturals were confirmed out and there was no comment to specific questions about ghosts and aliens.
  • kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,210 Member
    edited June 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    pguida wrote:

Yep I believe Pguida more than I do EA.

Not sure he has been wrong yet, his posts have been unpopular but he's called it pretty spot on so far. If he says cars are decor, then cars are decor. :-)
  • bflurybflury Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited June 2014
    Updated with a few more...
    edited June 2014
    bflury wrote:
    As many of you know, they were rather casual in how they delivered the Pools/Toddler news in the bottom of a blog post...
    And while we recognize that some of you will be disappointed that pools and toddlers won’t be available when The Sims 4 Base Game launches in September

And we now also know that the list doesn't stop there with:

No pools
    No toddlers
    No create a style (CAST)
    No basements
    No cars (or limited as décor)
    No visible jobs/schools
    No modifications to public places/parks
    No favorites (food, color, music)
    No swimming / swimwear, period. Including lakes, fountains, etc.
    No create a world (RUMOR)
    No bikes (RUMOR)
    No ghosts (RUMOR)
    No aliens (RUMOR)
    Fewer floors/levels
    Incompatible simpoint currency
    32-bit executable (one of many unnecessary and poor design decisions)
    Loading screens (likely due to the issue above)
    Much smaller "worlds" (although they can be connected somehow with DLC)
    Teens are same height as adults and they along with elders all look nearly identical.

But don't worry you can breastfeed and they have rocket ships :)

And 2 months before Go Live we still haven't seen a single in game screenshot in "live" mode.

So the question is obvious... What are they hiding? What else is missing? Clearly there is more than just pools and toddlers missing, the question is what...

-no gardeners for your homes
    -no turn ons and offs
    -no swimming in oceans
    -no garages or driveways (rumour)
    - no private schools
  • SmaKkYoFacESmaKkYoFacE Posts: 54 Member
    edited June 2014
    No next gen graphics
  • moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Wait there are no weddings either after they released that video at E3???!!! *unbelievably enraged* :x
  • COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited June 2014
    Wait weren't babs and ollie married in one of the trailers??
    In fact they are.. :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xZn8XUUat8#t=93

Skip to 1:31
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited June 2014
    There might be no zodiac signs either. Though I know that didn't come until the Late Night expansion pack for Sims 3 I think.
  • nyancat23nyancat23 Posts: 60 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Are you serious? No weddings? Are u making that up? And there's no cars? And no life states? Omg its just human Sims? I like supernaturals...I think I don't want the game anymore. Unless this isn't true. Please someone tell me what's going on?