Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tanzenberg - Beta Uploaded to Exchange

Zach_BundyZach_Bundy Posts: 1,297 Member
edited February 26 in Nominated Threads
Hello forum people! As you know, I like building international worlds.

Update 4/18: Exchange Link: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9456822#

Half of my heritage is Bavarian-German, so I felt like this was the right direction to take for building a world. This is basically going to be the polar opposite of Al Medina, my Moroccan desert world. Tanzenberg is a deep green world with mountains and forests.
There are certain aspects that I want to bring out most in this German world:

1) Peaceful rural scenes

2) A unique central city full of tradition (almost an oxymoron)

3) Castle overlooks

4) Certain re-imagined German Landmarks, including the Schloss Neuschwanstein, Nurburgring racetrack, and others.

5) Verdant Hiking trails

6) Youth Hostels

It will require:

All Expansion Packs
Fast Lane Stuff Pack
Midnight Hollow
Dragon Valley
Oktoberfest Celebration set from the Store

This will not change, since I'm limiting myself to using only the store content and stuff packs that I ABSOLUTELY need in order to make this world.

No 3rd Party CC, however some recolors of objects may be put in.

Some pics:

screenshot_original.jpg

The rural area, unnamed, with a castle much like the Neuschwanstein Palace.

screenshot_original.jpg

Rural area with extended Nordschleife racetrack.

screenshot_original.jpg

Closer look at the Nordschleife portion of the racetrack, overlooked by the ruins of Nurburg Castle. This will be the German equivalent to the Atlas Highway in Al Medina, however this contains more detail. Sharp turns and caution areas have red and white stripes outlining the road. Detail has also been put into the angle of the turns, with the road being higher on the outer edges.

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

Examples of certain interiors

screenshot_original.jpg

Rural cobblestone road. (Thank you Nilxis for that beautiful CAW texture!

screenshot_original.jpg

A city in the foreground, the Frauenkirche in the background. The central city is going to be HEAVILY influenced by Munich, and will later include the Englischer Garten on the outskirts.

screenshot_original.jpg

Interior of the Frauenkirche. "Frauenkirche is loosely translated as "Our Lady's Cathedral of ____" however I don't know the name of the city. Maybe I'll just name it Munich?

Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Changeling3Changeling3 Posts: 195 Member
    edited May 2014
    This looks amazing so far! But have you given up on your mexican world? :?
  • Zach_BundyZach_Bundy Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited May 2014
    Nope! Las Palomas is just on hold for right now, and that's my group project. I don't plan to go totally solo on this world but whereas Al Medina is about 50 to 60 percent my work, and Las Palomas is 30 to 40 percent this is probably gonna be 80 percent.
  • Playerthe95Playerthe95 Posts: 129 Member
    edited June 2014
    This looks amazing! You are truly a great world creator! :D
  • tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    edited June 2014
    This is looking awesome Zack!
  • queenmaybellinequeenmaybelline Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2014
    Beautiful!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2014
    Looks very beautiful Zach. Love all the mountains. Very unique. I shall enjoy checking it out I think.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• 17mars17mars Posts: 263 Member
    edited June 2014
    I really look forward to this! It's beautiful!
    edited June 2014
    Thank you guys! That's: 3 "Beautiful's", 1 "Awesome", and 2 "Amazing's".

I do have some pics for you guys, half of it is new, the other half is old but I just wanted to point out.

screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

In my rendition of Munich, I've created an olympic-sized indoor public pool. It also contains a sauna, perfect for Germany's frigid winters. (There's a warning about using the sauna for grilling, which costs you a fine of 250 Euros)

screenshot_original.jpg

I made a medium-distance hiking trail which leads to a freshwater spring for fishing. In the spring are some ancient Germanic ruins.

screenshot_original.jpg

This hillside makes a lot of produce, with each house having a specialty. I like the house with the windmill on top. I think it's quirky, and before building it I was looking at a lot of Remedios Varo paintings. The boardwalk that you see at the bottom of the picture serves as the venue for a Bratwurst festival held during the summer.

screenshot_original.jpg

This is the beginning of the racetrack. There are some formula one cars parked here, as well as a gas station, and some bleachers for watching the race. (The bleachers actually serve as an LN sportsbar :D )

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

In the Munich portion, I've created a sim-version of the Hofbrauhaus, which is basically the beer/hedonism capitol of the world. I've made sure that there's plenty to do in this one. That way, it stays packed just like the one in real life.

screenshot_original.jpg

This is a picture of the mountain overlooking the small Bavarian Village. I tried to make it as much like the Alps as possible by having the mountain be very tall, steep, rigid, and bald of trees, since trees only grow up to a certain elevation. At the bottom of the mountain you can see a strip of ice which, when in play mode, is a waterfall. The glacial waterfall serves as the source of the river.

• CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm loving this! :thumbup:
    edited June 2014

Thanks Cinderillimouse!

I'm hoping that this world has more broad of an appeal than Al Medina.

I've heard a few complaints about Al Medina, saying that it was "just too sandy" or things along those lines.

Al Medina is beautiful, and I can say that without being vain because I wasn't the only one who worked on it. The only thing is that I'm disappointed that it only got downloaded by 1,400 people, because the subject material of that world is so esoteric that it would be impossible to be more popular. However, the ratio of downloads to recommendations is super high, which I'm proud of.

It's as if I made a film about the lives of earthworms, and then Roger Ebert rated it 4 out of 4 stars.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have hopes that this German world won't be too weird for people. After all, most people can point out Germany on a map, and most people like castles, mountains, trees, rivers, and beer, and sausages, and the juxtaposition of wild young people in an ancient landscape, and the snowy Alps, and... you get my point.

Just download my world please.
  • niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited June 2014
    Zach_Bundy wrote:

Thanks Cinderillimouse!

I'm hoping that this world has more broad of an appeal than Al Medina.

I've heard a few complaints about Al Medina, saying that it was "just too sandy" or things along those lines.

Al Medina is beautiful, and I can say that without being vain because I wasn't the only one who worked on it. The only thing is that I'm disappointed that it only got downloaded by 1,400 people, because the subject material of that world is so esoteric that it would be impossible to be more popular. However, the ratio of downloads to recommendations is super high, which I'm proud of.

It's as if I made a film about the lives of earthworms, and then Roger Ebert rated it 4 out of 4 stars.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have hopes that this German world won't be too weird for people. After all, most people can point out Germany on a map, and most people like castles, mountains, trees, rivers, and beer, and sausages, and the juxtaposition of wild young people in an ancient landscape, and the snowy Alps, and... you get my point.

Just download my world please.

Zach, I'm going to give you some advice now. Stop worrying about how many people download from your studio. I have never uploaded a world to the exchange, but I have uploaded plenty of lots, and it completely ruins the game for you if you worry too much. If you keep nitpicking to get a more commercialized product that is easier to 'sell', then you'll never have fun doing it- fact. Just enjoy the ride! You have something really special with Al Medina, your Mexican world, and your German world, and you should be really proud no matter how many people deem your world worthy to be in their game.

If it makes you feel any better, you are one of my favorite world builders on this forum. :mrgreen:
  • CaptainTHPS4CaptainTHPS4 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited June 2014
    This looks so cool! I love the race track idea. Gotta bookmark this :D
    My YouTube Channel!
    youtube.com/IronSeagull
    edited June 2014
    Yeah I won't worry about it too much. I'll just focus on making the best world I can :)

Did you say you wanted to help out on this world, niac? I didn't notice your post on the thread until last night actually.

Right now I'm filling in the Munich area with empty row houses which I'll fill in later. Also I'm making a mashup of the Englischer garten.

I could send you a link to the world in a day or two. Then you could help me on some of that.

I could REALLY use help on recoloring a few items as well
    edited June 2014
    P.s. Thank you I'm flattered!
  • cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member
    edited June 2014
    This world looks really nice! Is it going to be prepopulated? :)
    edited June 2014
    This world looks really nice! Is it going to be prepopulated? :)

Most definitely! This will sound weird, but I'm studying Nordic facial characteristics so that I'll be able to get everything super authentic.
    edited June 2014
    You might go with Germanic features, not Nord (the Fjord countried).

Technically that refers to the linguistics. The race itself is nordic (ostensibly).

Interesting side note: While I was researching this for Al Medina, I found out that Berbers/Amazighen have closer DNA to northern Europeans than they do to nearby tribal groups. That's fascinating to me.
  • OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    edited June 2014
    Wow zach :O this is such a beautiful world! You're doing an amazing job with your sculpting of the mountains and I love the architecture so far! :) can't wait to see more updates!

I hope your create a Save file with npc waiters and waitresses and baristas wearing the cute clothing from this set...
    http://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?categoryId=11488&scategoryId=12674&index=0&productId=OFB-SIM3:23570&pcategoryId=12858&ppcategoryId=12673

Maybe the paper boy can wear the little boys outfit xD
  • niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited June 2014
    Zach_Bundy wrote:
    Yeah I won't worry about it too much. I'll just focus on making the best world I can :)

Did you say you wanted to help out on this world, niac? I didn't notice your post on the thread until last night actually.

Right now I'm filling in the Munich area with empty row houses which I'll fill in later. Also I'm making a mashup of the Englischer garten.

I could send you a link to the world in a day or two. Then you could help me on some of that.

Recoloring items? What do you mean by that?
    edited June 2014
    niac1234 wrote:
    Zach_Bundy wrote:

Recoloring items? What do you mean by that?

I mean as far as going into S3PE and creating a color override for certain uncustomizable objects like rabbitholes.
    edited June 2014
    Wow zach :O this is such a beautiful world! You're doing an amazing job with your sculpting of the mountains and I love the architecture so far! :) can't wait to see more updates!

I hope your create a Save file with npc waiters and waitresses and baristas wearing the cute clothing from this set...
    http://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?categoryId=11488&scategoryId=12674&index=0&productId=OFB-SIM3:23570&pcategoryId=12858&ppcategoryId=12673

Maybe the paper boy can wear the little boys outfit xD

Thanks! Yep actually I already had that planned, except that I can't only just put it exclusively on servers. The reason is that at the beginning of the game each character that inhabits the world is given a random job. This includes merchants, bartenders, and baristas.

What I'm planning to do is to pepper in the festival lederhosen/dirndls with regular clothes.
    edited June 2014
    Incroyable. Je connais plusieurs des gens d'Europe et je peux vous assurer que ça ce n'est pas le cas.

The reason that I put in the word "ostensibly" is that at the middle of the 19th century, false terms were created for aligning people of certain areas politically. Culturally and ethnically, one can be Bavarian. Bavarians have their own German dialect, they have the highest standard of living in Germany, wear lederhosen at festivals, etc.

However racially, there is no major distinction. The DNA of Bavarians is shared more with people of Austria, parts of France, and Northernmost Italy, and again (traditionally but also ostensibly) they actually fit into the classification of "Alpine". Since the 1950's though, phrases like "Nordic" and "Alpine" and Mediterranean have been shunned due to Germany's dark eugenic past. Also you have to remember that since the era industrialization, there's been so much homogenization that these differences that were once noticed between "Alpines" and "Nordics" are disappearing. In fact Since the 90's Ethnic Russians have been contributing a whole ton to the gene pool of Europe. In other cities in Europe like Antwerp and Brussels, "Mohammed" is the most popular baby name.

If I say that the sims in this world would all be "Alpine" then there wouldn't be any blonde sims at all, which would be completely unrealistic.

Either way, Germanic specifically refers to the group of languages, rather than racial makeup.
  • PoppedBubbleGuyPoppedBubbleGuy Posts: 177 Member
    edited June 2014
    TIL that not all germans are germans. This is a very nice world! I'm blown away by the detail!
    We were born sick, you heard them say it.-Hozier
    edited June 2014
    First time play testing!

Pics:

screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

Today my self-Sim got to see Tanzenberg with snow for the first time! This is actually also my first time playing in-game with seasons.

He decided to live at the Euro-Youth Hostel. Then he went around and tested things that I was unsure about. This included the sauna, which worked out perfectly (minus the fire). He also worked out at the gym, went wine tasting at the Riesling nectary. No romance! guess he really is a self-sim. He did a keg-stand though! That was fun.
  • Starsaphire2Starsaphire2 Posts: 315 Member
    edited June 2014
    This is beautiful. You do such a great job on your worlds. I have Al Medina and it's amazing. This will be it's opposite, kind of like fire and ice.

Please add a couple extra lots with very little on them. I so love adding a few of my own builds to these special worlds. And I hate bulldozing brilliantly created lots!

Thank you for all your creativity and long, long hours of building.

Star

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top