Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grounded Teens

Just wondering exactly how to get around this?

My teen is a "rebel" and keeps getting grounded, which is fine because that's just who she is. But the problem is that when she is grounded during the weekdays, she can't go to school because her parents won't let her. Is there any way to let her go to school without apologizing to the parents?

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, that's a real silly flaw in the game :lol: (happened to me too)
    You'll have to apologize I guess... I don't think there's another way around it without cheating.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimsUser4LifeSimsUser4Life Posts: 55 New Member
    edited May 2014
    Aaww >.< Guess she just won't go to school then, lol.
  • Options
    Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    edited May 2014

My teen is a "rebel" and keeps getting grounded, which is fine because that's just who she is. But the problem is that when she is grounded during the weekdays, she can't go to school because her parents won't let her. Is there any way to let her go to school without apologizing to the parents?

Wait, what??? Grounded sim teens aren't allowed to GO TO SCHOOL?? But I know from experience that IF a Child/ Teen is late for/ skips school they get scolded by the adult sims so...
    But seems stupid that the grounded thing blocks going to school, no grounded human is ever prevented from going to school, the only thing they are ever 'allowed' to do as far as leaving the house on their own...
    Of all the things, THIS takes the cake for being outrageous/ unheard of!
    I'll bet if you do keep your teen sim from going to school she'll just be in even more trouble... You can't win with your Rebellious teen.
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited May 2014
    Kilov17 wrote:

Wait, what??? Grounded sim teens aren't allowed to GO TO SCHOOL?? But I know from experience that IF a Child/ Teen is late for/ skips school they get scolded by the adult sims so...
    But seems stupid that the grounded thing blocks going to school, no grounded human is ever prevented from going to school, the only thing they are ever 'allowed' to do as far as leaving the house on their own...
    I'll bet if you do keep your teen sim from going to school she'll just be in even more trouble... You can't win with your Rebellious teen.

Yep, they get in trouble either way. :?
    It's coded so that leaving the lot is the trigger, but someone didn't think to add an exception for going to school. There had to be some way they could have coded this - maybe based on school hours?

If you use testingcheats, you can Shift+click on the moodlet and eliminate grounding for that time completely.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Anmirla wrote:
    Kilov17 wrote:

Yep, they get in trouble either way. :?
    It's coded so that leaving the lot is the trigger, but someone didn't think to add an exception for going to school. There had to be some way they could have coded this - maybe based on school hours?

If you use testingcheats, you can Shift+click on the moodlet and eliminate grounding for that time completely.

The Moodlit manager too, I should think... No? If the 'grounded' this is a moodli (never had a grounded sim this far...).
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited May 2014
    Kilov17 wrote:
    The Moodlit manager too, I should think... No? If the 'grounded' this is a moodli (never had a grounded sim this far...).

The moodlet manager could work, but doesn't always - keeping in mind that it sometimes backfires, leaving your Sim worse than before. :wink:
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Anmirla wrote:
    Kilov17 wrote:

The moodlet manager could work, but doesn't always - keeping in mind that it sometimes backfires, leaving your Sim worse than before. :wink:

Yeah but that seems to be only when the beam hits an object, bounced off... Also sometimes it seems to do nothing but moving said sim's spot and trying again usually undoes the damage. I have my sims using it 24/7... :mrgreen:
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • Options
    GloriousAuthorGloriousAuthor Posts: 9
    edited May 2014
    I had this problem, too. Actually, that's how I found this forum, looking for the solution. Someone said to use the parent that grounded the teen, click on the teen, and somewhere in the tree of interactions, you should be able to "Let off hook". This causes the adult for forgive the teen.

One of my teens had to sneak around for a whole week to school, and she'd just get more grounded for going, and there weren't enough chores to get that kind of forgiveness so, yeah. Try it, I hope it helps as it helped me :)
  • Options
    muddypaws4167muddypaws4167 Posts: 2,108 New Member
    edited May 2014
    If the parents are sleeping or out of the house first, she should be able to leave to go to school. And yes " let off the hook" also works ( but sneaking is more fun lol )
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    edited June 2014
    My sim just went out the door , right in front of her guardian. She still had the sneaking out moodlet , though.
  • Options
    gaymers1gaymers1 Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    Hi, I have just read your question and I think you will probably have to make your sim apologize to their parents... it will probably be easier anyway because that way they get to go out of your households lot x :D hope this helped :D
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2014
    I think grounded sims can go to boarding school.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    geekgirl101geekgirl101 Posts: 401 Member
    edited June 2014
    I was looking this up too. My sim teen did a teen party and completely lost track of time so she didn't go to bed until 6am and she had school that day. Every time someone used something it broke, so I bought a bonehilda and set her off to go fix and mop things up. Suddenly I get told the police are coming, so I had to break the party up, then I got a message the parents were coming home early. I gave up and sent the teen to bed to get 2 hours of shuteye before school, parents arrived to a pool of water with Bonehilda fixing up the sink, 2 busted toilets, and a busted laptop.

Well... needless to say as soon as I woke the teen up she got scolded and grounded. I still managed to get her to school and when she got home she was scolded again. She then threw a fit with her parents and wanted to sneak out after curfew, so at night when the parents were sleeping I sent her out. She was arrested immediately, so another yelling at.

Next morning snuck out to school, immediately harrassed when she got home by her father so she yelled at him. He tried to console her and she had a tantrumous fit in front of him and was in deep red with 6 negative moodlets. Again she wanted to sneak out after curfew, so I sent her down the road at night when the parents were in bed and then sent her home again after a little while. Parents psychically knew she had gone out and she got yelled at and a negative moodlet for sneaking out.

So now, police and parents are both psychic in knowing where your kids are and you get in an infinite loophole every time you go to school you'll get grounded and grounded and grounded. Stupid.
  • Options
    A7X_JessieA7X_Jessie Posts: 50 Member
    edited June 2014
    This happens to my teen sims too. The only work-around is to have them leave the lot out of the parent/adult sim's view. That usually works, but when the teen comes back, they are scolded again if the parent is home.
  • Options
    Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    edited June 2014
    Yea, i found this out when my sims was coming home from her part time job i didn't know she wasn't allowed go school nor work :? she tired bag forgiveness no way she was getting off that easy she do chores around the house then her parent came and forgave her. but happy-ness didn't last long my teen taking bath her mother want clean toilet and well big mistake i tired stopping her they had fight now am teen in bording school :|
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited June 2014
    I was playing with the Alto family not too long ago, I had Holly pull afew pranks on the school and neighbors. It took awhile before she got caught pranking, and given the "free ride" by the cop! She would wind up being grounded.As she begged for forgiveness (and refused by Vita), She was told to do some chores around the house. Well, Unfortunatly, Bonehilda had been hired (when I started the game), so there was NO chores to do! Nothing was dirty, all broken plumbing fixtures and electrical appliances were in working order, and (my) bonehilda took the trash out, So Holly had no work around the house! The only thing that got her out from being grounded, was doing her homework every night! I can't remember how long it took, but but Vita finally let holly off of grounding. The second time, I happen to see the "let off hook" option! I guess I overlooked it the first time! Poor Holly!

EDIT: can't spell! Ding-dang it!
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I haven't really tried it, but in Supernatural, they have the ITF faster than light transporters or teleporters, don't use the free teleporter from the game as it will teleport you back outside where you get yelled at. I placed on school grounds and one inside home, as long as sim stays in home during grounded it shouldn't count against.

• Options
    alexis117alexis117 Posts: 13 New Member
    my teen sim died of hunger because sim parents kept grounding her :(
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    My teen got grounded for skipping school due to a glitch where the school bus didn't turn up. I didn't realise that's why her mum was scolding her and I sent her to school the next day where she got grounded again for trying to leave the house.

It is a bit silly it goes that far. But I do like that parents notice and react to their children's behaviour.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    @alexis117 - In TS3 or TS4? Could have been missing something all this time, but there is nothing about grounding a teen in TS3 that should prevent them from eating and taking care of their other basic needs as long as they don't have to leave the home lot to do so.

Of course the entire grounded for skipping school so you can't go to school and you get into more trouble either way was probably not intended. But there is also some realism to it even if provided for accidentally -- at some point, some teens are going to feel like they will get into more and more trouble with the parental units no matter what they do (it's just not fair, no one understands me, and angst-driven tantrums like that...) My relationship with my own parents as a teen in real life was great, but even I felt like that sometimes. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    How the grounding works in TS3 for the school is the parents have to take them to school as a group to avoid getting in trouble.

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    How the grounding works in TS3 for the school is the parents have to take them to school as a group to avoid getting in trouble.
    Really!? Thanks for that. Sounds kind of logical even.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    alexis117 wrote: »
    my teen sim died of hunger because sim parents kept grounding her :(
    Ok, you got my attention... And curiosity going, how did grounding prevent your teen sim from eating??!
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »

Really? That's an option, how did I not know that? Thank you for the tip!
  • Options
    lol, you can even make the teen drive to school, I haven't played TS3 in a while.