Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Mac User's Best Friend!/PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING ANY NEW PROBLEM THREADS!!!!!!

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    First link of the opening post on this thread. Click on it. Scroll down to the link to disc errors.
    apple-signature.png
  • Aggieman999999Aggieman999999 Posts: 57 Member
    What folder do you store mod files (Clothing, Objects, blur remover, ETC) not from the exchange but from other sites in order to get them to function in the digital game in?
  • tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    What folder do you store mod files (Clothing, Objects, blur remover, ETC) not from the exchange but from other sites in order to get them to function in the digital game in?

I have to ask if you bothered to read the very first post in this thread, because if you had, it would've led you to the answer to your question.
  • Aggieman999999Aggieman999999 Posts: 57 Member
    Well, I got my mods working. Tried actually playing. The game froze and I had to reset the computer the first time around.
  • DisNarutardDisNarutard Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi everyone! I'm new on here so please forgive me >_<
    I play TS3 on my PC right now, but I'm going to be getting a MacBook Pro 15 inch with Retina display soon and I was wondering if I will be able to run the game on there too? I have all the EP and most of the SP, and a lot of custom conten too! I also have a few mods to my game as well. Here are the Mac specs I'm going to have:
    2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics

I have read some of the threads, it's all just confusing to me as of right now since I don't actually have my MacBook Pro! I'm just curious that with the specs I'm going to have if I will be able to run the game like everyone else! Please help?
    Hi everyone! I'm new on here so please forgive me >_<
    I play TS3 on my PC right now, but I'm going to be getting a MacBook Pro 15 inch with Retina display soon and I was wondering if I will be able to run the game on there too? I have all the EP and most of the SP, and a lot of custom conten too! I also have a few mods to my game as well. Here are the Mac specs I'm going to have:
    2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics

I have read some of the threads, it's all just confusing to me as of right now since I don't actually have my MacBook Pro! I'm just curious that with the specs I'm going to have if I will be able to run the game like everyone else! Please help?

If you can, go for the higher spec. 15" as it has an AMD dedicated graphics card, the one you have mentioned only has integrated Intel Iris.

The problem you will encounter on both of them though is that TS3 is not compatible due to unsupported graphics cards. You will have to manually edit the graphics cards files to get it to work.

apple-signature.png
  • NGCManNGCMan Posts: 442 Member
    ░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
    ░░░░░░░░▀▀▀██████▄▄▄
    ░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄░░█████████▄
    ░░░░░▀▀▀▀█████▌░▀▐▄░▀▐█
    ░░░▀▀█████▄▄░▀██████▄██
    ░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄░░▀▀█▄▀█════█▀
    ░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▄░░▀▀███░▀░░░░░░▄▄
    ░░░░░▄███▀▀██▄████████▄░▄▀▀▀██▌
    ░░░██▀▄▄▄██▀▄███▀░▀▀████░░░░░▀█▄
    ▄▀▀▀▄██▄▀▀▌████▒▒▒▒▒▒███░░░░▌▄▄▀
    ▌░░░░▐▀████▐███▒▒▒▒▒▐██▌
    ▀▄░░▄▀░░░▀▀████▒▒▒▒▄██▀
    ░░▀▀░░░░░░▀▀█████████▀
    ░░░░░░░░▄▄██▀██████▀█
    ░░░░░░▄██▀░░░░░▀▀▀░░█
    ░░░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
    ░▄▄▄▄█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█▄▄▄▄▀▀▄
    ▌░░░░░▐░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄▀
    ░▀▀▄▄▀

GOTTA GO FAST!!!
  • Tshine2614Tshine2614 Posts: 155 Member
    I've been using BootCamp to run mine, and I occasionally have to do some troubleshooting, but I'm proud of myself for actually getting the game to work! XD
    "The important thing is not how long you live, it's what you accomplish with your life. While I live, I want to shine! I want to prove that I exist!" --- (Grovyle, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky).

mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Tshine2614
  • TyGemmologistTyGemmologist Posts: 4 New Member
    Hy guys. So, let's see if I can revert my tragedy. My MAC died. I had to swipe it clean, factory clean. Of course I lost everything. I have all the The Sims 3 disks, including all extension packs. HOWEVER, my cd drive is still dead, and since now I'm living Brazil, to fix it will cost me and eye and a kidney, and I can't at the moment!
    So, the question is, can I download the games from Origin using my old keys?
    Thank you
    Hy guys. So, let's see if I can revert my tragedy. My MAC died. I had to swipe it clean, factory clean. Of course I lost everything. I have all the The Sims 3 disks, including all extension packs. HOWEVER, my cd drive is still dead, and since now I'm living Brazil, to fix it will cost me and eye and a kidney, and I can't at the moment!
    So, the question is, can I download the games from Origin using my old keys?
    Thank you

Yes you can. Make sure you're logged in using the same account you registered the game to on the website and you'll be fine.
    apple-signature.png
  • JeanneNicoleJeanneNicole Posts: 30 New Member
    I have just updated my computer from a PC to a Mac. I have managed to download my Sims 4 games no problem, but when I try to download my Sims 3 games it gives me the option to download and then goes to preparing download, but that is as far as it gets as then after about 10 mins or so it comes up with a download error saying that it has tried to download varies times but was unable to. I have spoken to EA who were no help at all and just said that it was a known problem that they were working on! Has anyone else had this problem and know of a solution?
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Give us more details about your Mac please. Like what kind of Mac it is (iMac or Macbook), what OS you are running and what graphics card it has.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    Give us more details about your Mac please. Like what kind of Mac it is (iMac or Macbook), what OS you are running and what graphics card it has.

It is an iMac and the specs are as follows:

3.2GHz quad‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) Processor
    8GB (two 4GB) of 1867MHz DDR3 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible. Configurable to 16GB or 32GB
    1TB Fusion Drive. Configurable up to 3TB Fusion Drive or 256GB, 512GB or 1TB of flash storage (SSD)
    AMD Radeon R9 M390 graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
    OS X El Capitan operating system

Many thanks, Jeanne

8GB (two 4GB) of 1867MHz DDR3 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible. Configurable to 16GB or 32GB
    1TB Fusion Drive. Configurable up to 3TB Fusion Drive or 256GB, 512GB or 1TB of flash storage (SSD)

Many thanks, Jeanne

This was an issue with Origin that has now been fixed by EA. Log out of Origin, restart your Mac and then log back in to Origin and try downloading again. If it still won't work go into Origin > Preferences > Advanced and enable Safe Mode Downloading.

apple-signature.png

Many thanks, Jeanne

This was an issue with Origin that has now been fixed by EA. Log out of Origin, restart your Mac and then log back in to Origin and try downloading again. If it still won't work go into Origin > Preferences > Advanced and enable Safe Mode Downloading.

Hi Bluebell Flora, thank you so much for your help and it worked!!! I can now happily start playing Sims 3 again :smiley:
  • kjones12kjones12 Posts: 1 New Member
    HELLO ALL :) I want to kindly thank all of the help from this post. I have an Early 2015 Macbook Air/ Intel HD Graphics 6000 13.3" screen. I was having hella problems getting my sims three to start for several hours, I went in and changed the files and what finally worked for me was using "HD Graphics 6000" as the edit for the graphics cards and graphics rules files... make sure the quotations are the same.... these computer programmers use STRAIGHT quote marks, while our keyboards offer CURVED ones... I believe this is the problem most people are having... happy simming :)
    It depends on the font style in regards to the quotation marks. But if you use the " instead of ' it should always be consistent. This is part of the program you are editing and punctuation and wording have a great deal to do with how the computer reads and executes the commands. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. :)
    kjones12 wrote: »
    HELLO ALL :) I want to kindly thank all of the help from this post. I have an Early 2015 Macbook Air/ Intel HD Graphics 6000 13.3" screen. I was having hella problems getting my sims three to start for several hours, I went in and changed the files and what finally worked for me was using "HD Graphics 6000" as the edit for the graphics cards and graphics rules files... make sure the quotations are the same.... these computer programmers use STRAIGHT quote marks, while our keyboards offer CURVED ones... I believe this is the problem most people are having... happy simming :)

Yep, people have mentioned that over on my site too but not all of them have managed to get it to work even with the straight quotation marks. I wish I had this problem so I could test everyone's theories myself but sadly I have an older Mac with compatible NVIDIA graphics.

The main issue is that people sometimes cut corners and don't think they have to follow instructions properly. There's no guarantee that what people say and what they actually do are one and the same sadly so I end up taking most feedback with a pinch of salt.

apple-signature.png
  • zoeeeeee1zoeeeeee1 Posts: 16 New Member
    Hi guys!! Please forgive me if this has already been discussed but I'm desperate! I recently (like last week) ungraded from a mac air to a pro. I didn't uninstall my sims and it all carried over, the only problem is, when i go to play and i get to the main menu where you pic your daily etc an error about not being able to read the disc always occurs! blocking me from going any further :( I don't know whether i should contact apple or eb games. Also I have tried my sisters game and it didn't work either. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still no progress! Please help :(
    zoeeeeee1 wrote: »
    Hi guys!! Please forgive me if this has already been discussed but I'm desperate! I recently (like last week) ungraded from a mac air to a pro. I didn't uninstall my sims and it all carried over, the only problem is, when i go to play and i get to the main menu where you pic your daily etc an error about not being able to read the disc always occurs! blocking me from going any further :( I don't know whether i should contact apple or eb games. Also I have tried my sisters game and it didn't work either. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still no progress! Please help :(

There are hundreds (probably thousands actually) of threads on the disc error issue. It's very common and is affecting all Macs running El Capitan - https://bluebellflora.com/disc-authorization-failure/
    apple-signature.png
  • Roxy7239Roxy7239 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello all, apologies if this has been covered - I have been going through all threads to find a solution to my problem but havent yet found one. I have recently re-installed the sims 3 back on my mac through Origin and manually (as origin asked to do this - some I have bought through origin and the rest I have on disc), it installed all smoothly but when clicking to play it seems to try to load and then I get the message - an unknown error has occurred. It does this with whichever expansion pack I try to load. I currently have MacOS Sierra but I have seen on most comments that Sims 3 seems to load and run smoothly so I am not quite sure what could be the issue. Although recently in the last year I have had issue with the Sims 4 having a lot bugs and crashes, but that is a different issue altogether - hopefully not related to re-installing sims 3. Hopefully you can all help? Online there isnt much to do with the sims 3 and sierra not working so hoping to get it sorted somehow. I did see on a different thread that possibly installing manually with the discs and not through origin could work? Thanks!

This is my mac details:
    macOS Sierra

Version - 10.12.1 Beta (16B2333a)
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
    Processor - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory - 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Startup disk - Macintosh HD
    Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

You should be able to get it to work through Origin. I have a similar iMac to yours and I've updated to Sierra and it works fine. Of course I have my games all digital through Origin. Runs just fine.
  • AnleaAnlea Posts: 2 New Member

I was going to start a new discussion but i can't seem to find the button... I had the somewhat common problem of Ambitions appearing to install fine, but not actually being in the game, and I fixed it! This was after bothering costumer support for days... :D
    What I did was install some mods (all of the ones on this page: http *colon slash slash* sims-store.weekly.com/fixen-premium-content.html). Somehow, this made my games unable to save-- I had to restart my computer every time I played and tried to save! So I deleted the mods, and went back into the game to see if it worked. And there was Ambitions! I don't know how or why, but it's fully in the game now.
    I hope this helps someone!
  • adiannekadiannek Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, everyone! I have been searching all over for a solution to the below problem to no avail.

I am trying to play The Sims 3 with all expansion packs on a 13" MacBook Pro Mid 2010.. My current OS is macOS Sierra version 12.10.2. Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

I was previously running the game successfully on the same machine with El Capitan. I have tried doing clean uninstalls and reinstalls, creating new users, bypassing the launcher, and every other tip I could find online. I am still unable to launch my game - I repeatedly get the message that "an unknown error has occurred".

Absolutely any ideas or advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thank you!
    adiannek wrote: »
    Hi, everyone! I have been searching all over for a solution to the below problem to no avail.

I am trying to play The Sims 3 with all expansion packs on a 13" MacBook Pro Mid 2010.. My current OS is macOS Sierra version 12.10.2. Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

I was previously running the game successfully on the same machine with El Capitan. I have tried doing clean uninstalls and reinstalls, creating new users, bypassing the launcher, and every other tip I could find online. I am still unable to launch my game - I repeatedly get the message that "an unknown error has occurred".

Absolutely any ideas or advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thank you!

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/Unknown-Error-issue-in-Sims-3-please-post-here/td-p/5725514
    apple-signature.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top