Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My sim spoke English!

My sim had snowflake day party, and invited all her family round, along with the pile of gifts I wanted my sims to give gifts to eachother to improve their relationships, and as my child gave her uncle a present he said "For me? thanks!" Or I am 99.9% certain he said that, it sounded just like it. I am so excited for some reason, thought I'd share this! :D

Comments

• CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited April 2014
    Sorry to break it to you but your sim did not speak English. Sims are incapable of speaking English. You simply misheard.
  • breyerhorseluverbreyerhorseluver Posts: 331 New Member
    edited April 2014
    Wow, we have a fun spoiler over here! It definitely sounded like it, don't ruin my moment! Q_Q
  • FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited April 2014
    Celiria wrote:
    Sorry to break it to you but your sim did not speak English. Sims are incapable of speaking English. You simply misheard.

Actually, since simlish is just gibberish, sometimes english words got mixed into the fray.
    edited April 2014
    This. :)
  • krimsonnoxkrimsonnox Posts: 6,143 Member
    edited April 2014
    there are a few words of english thrown in with the simlish in the game. One of my fave things sims say that is um sorta english is "giggity" after woohoo (family guy reference)
    edited April 2014
    I remember in the Sims 2, I was playing and two sims were woohooing and the male said "Honk honk" while under the covers. I was very interested in what they were doing...........
  • CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited April 2014
    @Fuzzyslippers

Words, not phrases. Each action is linked through programming to set simlish possibilities. The simlish is expressly designed as gibberish and as such they would never program in a realistic phrase because it would break the consistency they are aiming for.

@breyerhorseluver: Fun would be laughing about something that could actually happen, not claiming something blatantly false. It would be akin to me saying "hey I stepped outside today and I am 99.9% sure the lawn was made of lime jello"

At that point it is so outlandish as to be blatantly impossible.
  • PoooksterLOVEPoooksterLOVE Posts: 161 Member
    edited April 2014
    Celiria wrote:

Actually, since simlish is just gibberish, sometimes english words got mixed into the fray.

Though that is true, I don't understand how that could be so fitting for the occasion if it was just mixed up gibberish/English words. . . . :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    tumblr_nsyr7fdhfz1qeekseo1_500.gif
    edited April 2014
    It's not impossible, maybe ask the creators before jumping to conclusions? As there are English words mixed in, there is a slight possibility that more than one were said at one time. And I'm pretty sure "Fun" implies to anything that makes someone happy, not just laughing, that is called "Joking", if you don't like my thread, fair enough, go and find one you do like and leave mine to your own thoughts.
  • FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited April 2014
    Celiria wrote:

Though that is true, I don't understand how that could be so fitting for the occasion if it was just mixed up gibberish/English words. . . . :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Like Celiria said, phrases are pre-programmed. Sims can only say certain things for certain actions.

While the chances of it being said entirely in English are VERY low, since they knew they were recording for this specific action they could have said something that sounded close to it.

Edit to say: I think everybody needs to take a deep breathe and remember that this is a game. It's okay to have different opinions :-)
  • KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    edited April 2014
    Sometimes it sounds like they say German and French words too. I've had my sim say "giggity" or very similar, after looking at cupcakes....

Simlish is just random, although they do have the occasional real word thrown in.

Simlish in Sims 1 was funny. When they answered the phone they said "pantaloons"
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
    edited April 2014
    I agree 100% with this. As I said in my OP, I was 99.9% sure, I never did say I was entirely correct, as it sounded VERY similar to the English phrase.
  • RockleyfamilyRockleyfamily Posts: 5,730 Member
    edited April 2014
    I can't remember where I heard it from but I'm fairly sure there are some English phrases in the mumbo jumbo of Simlish. Kind of like the Family Guy one mentioned above.

That's so cute though, the uncle saying thanks, it is possible he really did say that, I've never listened to them during a gift giving party before maybe there are some cute phrases thrown in.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited April 2014
    This might be relevant here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pWaJV_C1cM
    p8L4V6v.png
  • rileydavidson9rileydavidson9 Posts: 32 New Member
    edited April 2014
    Sometimes I hear my own sims say English words. I can't seem to remember which words right now.
  • hamburgerfayehamburgerfaye Posts: 431 Member
    edited April 2014
    They probably didnt say thanks, but probably something like tanks that sounds ALMOST just like the word! They do that for "happy birthday", too! Sounds like happy birthday when theyre at the cake, but its something like clappy buuurtayyy! hahahahahahaha I love it!
  • kmsim15kmsim15 Posts: 1,552 Member
    edited April 2014
    I remember in the Sims 2, I was playing and two sims were woohooing and the male said "Honk honk" while under the covers. I was very interested in what they were doing...........

This same thing happened for me too when I was playing Sims 2, the "honk honk" is really hilarious. Sometimes when we play sims it does sound like they say a few English words. Some phrases sound very close to being in English. I think it was really neat that your sim said that at a gift giving party. I think I will be listening more closely to my sims when they talk. :D
  • GypsyWynd1GypsyWynd1 Posts: 154 Member
    edited April 2014
    I frequently hear the Sims say words that are recognizable, though they are not English. I was especially intrigued because a Native America/Sioux word comes up frequently. So I looked up the origin of Simlish and I was surprised to learn that Simlish is created from several languages, including Native American.
  • ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited April 2014
    GypsyWynd1 wrote:
    So I looked up the origin of Simlish and I was surprised to learn that Simlish is created from several languages, including Native American.

This. When Will Wright was designing Sims as an actual game, he made the decision that they should use their own language. Languages being what they are, the gibbering sounds are often taken from other languages, partly to form a sense of togetherness around the world. The sense that Sims isn't specifically one single place, but could belong anywhere. This approach has worked amazingly well, as people all over the world have insisted (despite evidence to the contrary) that their Sims are fluent in the players' native language.

To everyone getting hot under the collar about this: It's a game. Things happen, people like to hear and see what they want. Unless you can recreate their event and give definitive alternatives to what they likely heard/saw, please try to let them to their own beliefs, whatever they may be.

To the original poster: In this day and age, it's pics or it didn't happen. Even then, you'll get skeptics, because "proof" is so easy to forge. Since phrases ARE linked to actions, duplicate the event for the camera. Once you record the sounds you heard, you can share them with others and won't have to be your word against theirs. This same advice is good for any hard-to-believe event that happens. Document it, repeat it, record it. Figure out what's really going on if you're going to present it as fact.

Not trying to be a buzz kill, or anything. Personally, I don't want my Sims speaking English (or any other real language). I happen to like them speaking Simlish just fine.
  • Cher123825Cher123825 Posts: 238 Member
    edited April 2014
    My sims talk english sometimes. Words here and there. When someone dies the man always says I'm sad. Well he says I'm sod. LOL And I have heard them say "for me" when they get a gift. And I do think it sounds like my man sims says the F word when he is weeding the garden. There are other things I have heard just can't think of them now.

I think it helps understand the things they say for some of the words to sound familiar.

Cheryl
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited April 2014
    I've always heard, from the sims 1 that Simlish is a combination of languages, English included, so it's understandable if a word or two of English comes through. For example, when my sim is deep frying something, they will become excited and say, "Oh, my God!" I've heard this many times since the deep fryer was released to the game.

To the OP, my advice is don't pay any attention to the bitter fun-sucker. :lol: (I love that phrase.)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Cher123825Cher123825 Posts: 238 Member
    edited April 2014
    Oh yeah on sims 2 the guy would say clang clang pop a wheaties. LOL We use to laugh at that.
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited April 2014

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited April 2014
    Zolt65 wrote:

very cool Zolt65, its songs that always make me think im hearing english but whats strange on occasion i think i hear simlish when i hear the real songs :shock:
    edited April 2014
    I'm really not that serious about proving what I heard, it was just a bit of fun and banter whether people choose to believe it or not, not saying it was full English which it wasn't, but it sounded EXACTLY like it the phrase I believed to of heard! Fun fun fun in the Sims right now, my sim just got dumped as the girl was cheating on him, maybe he'll start telling his love story in English! :lol: