Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

multi tab problem *FIXED*

The multi tab in my game works for everything but the tab casts. I thought it was because I didn't update to the latest patch..so I did & tab casts still don't work.

I do use MODS from Twallan...so could it be a conflict with one of them? If so, is there a way to fix it...without removing the MODS?

Comments

• Options
    simmeroliviasimmerolivia Posts: 199 Member
    edited March 2014
    Unless your mods aren't updated to your most recent patch level, it shouldn't be Nraas mods causing a problem (you will want to update them now that you've updated your patch level, though). From my experience and what I've read on here, I bet it's your ccmerged file. This is what worked for me--download a fresh ccmerged file from Nona Sims here: http://nonasims.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/dcbackup-ccmerged-package-and-your-premium-content-items/

Open My Documents -> Electronic Arts -> The Sims 3 -> DCBackup and drag the new ccmerged file there, replacing your old one. Sometimes these files get messed up, especially if you delete your DCBackup files. It's safe to delete everything but the ccmerged file.

Hope this works! :)

edited to clarify that the ccmerged file from Nona Sims includes the coding (or whatever it's called, I'm not sure of the technical term lol) for all of the premium content. When you delete the ccmerged file, you delete the coding for the actions involved with premium content. While all of the files are regenerated when you reload the game, the ccmerged file is regenerated blank. I basically just paraphrased what Nona Sims said, but there's a much, much better explanation on that site.
  • Options
    Megan31917Megan31917 Posts: 457 Member
    edited March 2014
    Thank you for the link to the new file, but although I replaced mine with this new one, my multi tab still won't work correctly.

I even uninstalled the multi tab & reinstalled it..just in case...but none of my Sims can listen to tab casts. They can read & buy books & do the social stuff & homework..but for some reason the tab casts just won't work.
    So frustrating because everyone says how great it is to have a Sim learn 2 different skills at once.

Thank you again for the help.
  • Options
    simmeroliviasimmerolivia Posts: 199 Member
    edited March 2014
    Oh no :( I'm sorry. Here's a bump hoping someone else will have the answer.
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited March 2014
    I had the same problem but I had more third party content installed in my game than just twallan mods. I wound up having to go through my mods folder and find out exactly what CC was causing the issue and get rid of it. If you don't have anything else but the mods though then I'm not sure. Maybe you inadvertently downloaded something funky in sims3pack form from the exchange?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Oh I have loads of CC...so maybe this is the problem. I do have that Sims 3 Dashboard utility & ran it...but it didn't find any problems.

You must have a lot of patience to go through each item! I think at this point I'll just forget it. I like my CC much more than the multi tab & since the other features of the tab work...I'll live with it I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion to check my CC.
  • Options
    kmsim15kmsim15 Posts: 1,552 Member
    edited March 2014
    I had the same problem with the Multitab. I don't have any CC, I tried downloading the ccmerged file and that didn't work, I also tried reinstalling the Multitab and it didn't work either. I ended up getting a new computer and installed my game and store content on the new computer. That seemed to do the trick because my Multitab works completely now. I'm sorry to hear you are having the same problem as well.
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited March 2014
    Megan31917 wrote:
    Oh I have loads of CC...so maybe this is the problem. I do have that Sims 3 Dashboard utility & ran it...but it didn't find any problems.

You must have a lot of patience to go through each item! I think at this point I'll just forget it. I like my CC much more than the multi tab & since the other features of the tab work...I'll live with it I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion to check my CC.

Yeah my CC didn't show as having any problems in dahsboard either and yet something in there was messing with the multitab. It's not too bad checking your stuff if you just keep halving it. Take half out and leave half in and run the game if the problem presists then the half that isn't in is probably fine but check just in case. And then just keep halving until you find the problem piece.
  • Options
    knt1229knt1229 Posts: 2,227 Member
    edited March 2014
    It's not the NRAAS mods causing the problem. I have NRAAS mods and my multi-tab works fine.

The problem is most likely with your ccmerged file. Look in your DCBackup file and delete everything in it except the ccmerged file. Also, delete all those cache files that are in your Sims 3 folder. Don't delete the DC Cache folder. Leave that alone. But the files such as scriptcache.package, CASpartcache.package, compositorcache.package, there are a few others you can delete as well.

After you delete the above things go back into your game and see if the multi-tab works. If it still doesn't work delete the ccmerged file in the DC Backup folder. The game will generate a new one and see if that fixes it.

This is roughly what I had to do to get my multi-tab to work in my game.
  • Options
    heaven1heaven1 Posts: 177 Member
    edited March 2014
    I ran into the same problem also. But I deleted the Multi-Tab 6000 from my installed items then deleted it from my downloads and redownloaded it from store purchases. This has happened to a couple premium content items of mine and has worked.

It is a pain in the tush to find individual items with lots of installed content but does work.

• Options
    lydiad206lydiad206 Posts: 3,747 Member
    edited March 2014
    Do you have any other premium content items from the store? Do they work?
    er0s4g.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Well...I've done all the steps everyone suggested & my multi tab just won't work for tabcasts. I think I have to give up now.

As far as other custom content, I do have the deep fryer & some others that seems to work just fine...it's just this silly multi tab.

I guess I'll have to live with the Sims being able to read books & do homework with it...and forget that tabcasts are available. :(

Thanks all for the suggestions...I appreciate your help.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Megan31917 wrote:
    Well...I've done all the steps everyone suggested & my multi tab just won't work for tabcasts. I think I have to give up now.

As far as other custom content, I do have the deep fryer & some others that seems to work just fine...it's just this silly multi tab.

I guess I'll have to live with the Sims being able to read books & do homework with it...and forget that tabcasts are available. :(

Have you tried uninstalling then re-installing the multi-tab. If all the other suggestions didn't work try that. Also, try putting a ccmerged file in your mods folder. I had to do that on my desktop for my PC items to work.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Megan31917 wrote:

Have you tried uninstalling then re-installing the multi-tab? If all the other suggestions didn't work try that. Also, try putting a ccmerged file in your mods folder. I had to do that on my desktop computer for my PC items to work.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I did the uninstall & reinstall to no avail...but did not know we can place a ccmerged file in our MODS folder.

This may be the last thing I can try. I'll be back to let you know if it finally worked.

Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    knt1229 wrote:
    Megan31917 wrote:

Have you tried uninstalling then re-installing the multi-tab? If all the other suggestions didn't work try that. Also, try putting a ccmerged file in your mods folder. I had to do that on my desktop computer for my PC items to work.

Horray! THIS was the solution -placing another ccmerged file in my MODS-> Packages folder. The tab casts work perfectly now.

Can't thank you enough! I sent you a little something from your wish list to show my appreciation for your solution.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Just wanted to add that I changed Worlds & Sims...and I'm still thrilled that the tab casts work.

So happy! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SillySelaSillySela Posts: 941 Member
    edited March 2014
    Just remember: if you keep a copy of the ccmerged in your mods folder, you have to make sure you update it whenever you get new premium content. Otherwise it's very possible that the new content won'r work right.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    How do we update our ccmerged file?

Now that I finally have the tab casts working, I want to keep it & of course have future premium items work correctly too.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Megan31917 wrote:
    knt1229 wrote:
    Megan31917 wrote:

Horray! THIS was the solution -placing another ccmerged file in my MODS-> Packages folder. The tab casts work perfectly now.

Can't thank you enough! I sent you a little something from your wish list to show my appreciation for your solution.

Thanks again.

You are very welcome and thank you for the gift! :) I'm so glad you finally got the multi-tab to work. It's an awesome item to have in game.