Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Intel Iris Pro graphics cards - please post here if you have a Macbook with Intel Iris Pro card

Comments

• Options
    anna099anna099 Posts: 7 New Member
    So i know this post was started ages ago but I'm really disappointed right now and was wondering if any of you sims wizzes could help :). So i just bought the sims 3 for my mac- can't afford the price of sims 4 (cry). Had awful graphics so tried changing the quality and screen went white.

my info is:
    OS X Yosemite version 10.10
    MacBook Pro Retina 15" mid 2014
    Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Has anyone tried tmethei's method of editing the file names in the graphics folder and it actually worked? Coz it seems like this method is getting a lot of negative feedback and isnt really helping. I don't want to risk it and try it without substantial evidence that it will help me (I'm not too great with computers so its likely i'll eff it up- excuse me).

If anyone knows of any 'patch' i can download that will help me i would really appreciate that.

Kinda sceptical that my only option really is to buy sims4. Does anyone know if the graphics on that works ok for my macbook type?

THANK YOU SO MUCH to any help i am given, in advance. It means a lot. I really do want to play my sims 3.
  • Options
    > @shanita080 said:
    > I am having all these similar issues too, with a new computer Macbook Pro Retina-Yosemite.
    >
    > Trying to try these tips in the first message, but when I right click on the Sims 3 folder, there is no option for Show Package Contents

did this method of changing the file names work for you???
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @anna099 If there was a magical 'patch' to fix this, we would have linked to it. As you can see from the myriad of threads on this subject, which you have been reading as you have commented in another one, there is no magical fix. All you can do is try tmethei's workaround which, incidentally, does work for some. I suspect that it's not working for all because either a) they are not following the instructions properly or b) the problem might be processor related too and an additional line needs to be entered into the GraphicsCard.sgr file to reflect the newer Haswell and Broadwell processors in post 2013 Macs.

I actually think it's quite rude to say "Coz it seems like this method is getting a lot of negative feedback and isnt really helping" about tmethei's workaround when it has helped so many others and they went to a lot of time and effort to test the fix and write clear, concise instructions to benefit others. What's the worst that's going to happen if you screw it up? Your game isn't working anyway so it's not like an uninstall and reinstall is going to help you.

The Sims 4 will work fine on your Mac, although you chose the 15" MacBook Pro with only integrated graphics so it may struggle as the game develops and more EPs/SPs/GPs are released and installed.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    @BluebellFlora- hey, i'm really sorry if i offended anyone. @tmethei- i hope it didn't come across like that. I think i phrased it wrong. I'm sure the method does work for a lot of people and thats great! A few people posted that they had difficulties with it- i guess coz we have different mac versions to yours maybe, I don't know.

About the patch- i saw somewhere on another thread something about their being a patch for mac users- but i couldn't find the thread again to see if had been updated with new info.

If i get the method wrong and it doesn't work- are you saying that if i uninstall and reinstall it, it still wont work? I think i'm gonna give it ago, as you're right, whats the worst that could happen.

Thanks again guys :)
  • Options
    @anna099 There isn't a patch. The last patch was 1.67 which was released in January 2014. And it doesn't matter what operating system you're running, the graphics card in your Mac is not recognised by the game. Tmethei's workaround adds the graphics card details to the crucial file the game looks at to work. I've explained edit a bit more in depth here.

Uninstalling and reinstalling is a waste of time, unless you want to just try the base game.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    mblanton96mblanton96 Posts: 1 New Member
    I am trying to find the specific Device ID. I did see the picture you presented @BluebellFlora but still cannot find the specific Device ID.
  • Options
    mblanton96 wrote: »
    I am trying to find the specific Device ID. I did see the picture you presented @BluebellFlora but still cannot find the specific Device ID.

I haven't posted a picture because I haven't had to do the workaround but you can find instructions on looking up the Device ID in tmethei's post at the top of page 2 of this thread.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    carley_stuffcarley_stuff Posts: 2 New Member
    Just want to put in my two cents, and please note I havent tried to play more of the game than just opening my world, but so far so good. I never had trouble opening my game, but being excited with my brand new macbook pro i wanted to put all the graphics on max and see what happened... and everything turned blue and white and i was so disappointed. Anyway i found this post and i tried that thing at the top of page 2 only to find my graphicscards file didnt even have any of these listed:
    card 0x0152 "Desktop IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0156 "Mobile IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015A "Server IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015E "Reserved - IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0162 "Desktop IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x016A "Server IvyBridge GT2"

HOWEVER my graphicsrules file did infact mention the word ivybridge just once... so what i did was not REPLACE anything with my graphics card in the graphicscards file, but i just made a new line and pasted mine in under Intel graphics cards. Then, i did replace the word IvyBridge in the graphicsrules file to IntelIrisPro and well... as i said, so far so good! not sure why i dont have those graphics cards listed, but just FYI i'll post my specs and if i have any other issues ill keep you all posted. This kind of sucks for you all if its not working... hopefully this helps a bit. Im sick of playing sims 4 without toddlers and story progression etc. so thats why Ive gone back to TS3.

SPECS:
    macbook pro 15" retina (mid 2014)
    processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    16GB RAM

my graphics card:
    Chipset Model: Intel Iris Pro
    Type: GPU
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x0d26
    Revision ID: 0x0008
  • Options
    Just want to put in my two cents, and please note I havent tried to play more of the game than just opening my world, but so far so good. I never had trouble opening my game, but being excited with my brand new macbook pro i wanted to put all the graphics on max and see what happened... and everything turned blue and white and i was so disappointed. Anyway i found this post and i tried that thing at the top of page 2 only to find my graphicscards file didnt even have any of these listed:
    card 0x0152 "Desktop IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0156 "Mobile IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015A "Server IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x015E "Reserved - IvyBridge GT1"
    card 0x0162 "Desktop IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x0166 "Mobile IvyBridge GT2"
    card 0x016A "Server IvyBridge GT2"

HOWEVER my graphicsrules file did infact mention the word ivybridge just once... so what i did was not REPLACE anything with my graphics card in the graphicscards file, but i just made a new line and pasted mine in under Intel graphics cards. Then, i did replace the word IvyBridge in the graphicsrules file to IntelIrisPro and well... as i said, so far so good! not sure why i dont have those graphics cards listed, but just FYI i'll post my specs and if i have any other issues ill keep you all posted. This kind of sucks for you all if its not working... hopefully this helps a bit. Im sick of playing sims 4 without toddlers and story progression etc. so thats why Ive gone back to TS3.

SPECS:
    macbook pro 15" retina (mid 2014)
    processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    16GB RAM

my graphics card:
    Chipset Model: Intel Iris Pro
    Type: GPU
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x0d26
    Revision ID: 0x0008

Oh that's VERY helpful for others - thank you!
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    celrhocelrho Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey, so I'm having a problem now I've installed Into The Future.
    The game was running fine with Pets, University Life, Generations, Supernatural, Late Night, Island Paradise, World Adventures, Town Life, Fast Lane Stuff, Ambitions, High End Loft Stuff as well as mods, downloaded content and CC bar the usual Mac bugs (and as my Windows laptop was no better when I had it, it was an annoyance, but a minor issue and similar to what I was used to) and I did get a good few hours game play out of it.

All expansions were through a USB DVD drive bar Into The Future, and it's Into The Future that has led it to crash on startup and stick on the plumbob screen until it's force quit, then won't run at all. It's patched to the latest, and so I'm upset that EA will sell games to Mac users online knowing that the games don't work (they're listed as Mac games in Origin Store and I find it hard to believe EA haven't been made aware of this fix)

I was wondering if there are many more fixes - my graphic card is Intel Iris [b]NOT[/b] Intel Iris Pro which is why I don't want to try and edit the graphics settings with the fix provided as I'm not sure what to use for Intel Iris when entering the numbers, and editing the graphics card incase that will cause even more damage.

I'm tempted to email EA myself, I don't see anything moral in how they're claiming Sims 3 works on Macs without specifying it doesn't work with newer, Intel Iris and Intel Iris Pro graphic cards on the online store. I certainly wouldn't have bought ITF if I knew that, as I only bought it so I wouldn't have to bring my USB DVD drive with me everywhere if I wanted to play.
  • Options
    celrho wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm having a problem now I've installed Into The Future.
    The game was running fine with Pets, University Life, Generations, Supernatural, Late Night, Island Paradise, World Adventures, Town Life, Fast Lane Stuff, Ambitions, High End Loft Stuff as well as mods, downloaded content and CC bar the usual Mac bugs (and as my Windows laptop was no better when I had it, it was an annoyance, but a minor issue and similar to what I was used to) and I did get a good few hours game play out of it.

All expansions were through a USB DVD drive bar Into The Future, and it's Into The Future that has led it to crash on startup and stick on the plumbob screen until it's force quit, then won't run at all. It's patched to the latest, and so I'm upset that EA will sell games to Mac users online knowing that the games don't work (they're listed as Mac games in Origin Store and I find it hard to believe EA haven't been made aware of this fix)

I was wondering if there are many more fixes - my graphic card is Intel Iris NOT Intel Iris Pro which is why I don't want to try and edit the graphics settings with the fix provided as I'm not sure what to use for Intel Iris when entering the numbers, and editing the graphics card incase that will cause even more damage.

I'm tempted to email EA myself, I don't see anything moral in how they're claiming Sims 3 works on Macs without specifying it doesn't work with newer, Intel Iris and Intel Iris Pro graphic cards on the online store. I certainly wouldn't have bought ITF if I knew that, as I only bought it so I wouldn't have to bring my USB DVD drive with me everywhere if I wanted to play.

It's a miracle you've been able to play at all, although I note that you don't have Seasons which is by far the most intense EP performance wise. ITF is pretty taxing too which is maybe why you've only now started having this problem.

In short, no, no one has come up with another fix. And EA won't as they're done with TS3.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    celrhocelrho Posts: 2 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > It's a miracle you've been able to play at all, although I note that you don't have Seasons which is by far the most intense EP performance wise. ITF is pretty taxing too which is maybe why you've only now started having this problem.
    >
    > In short, no, no one has come up with another fix. And EA won't as they're done with TS3.

having read through the thread, I'm amazed due to the amount of expansions compared to everyone else.
    I wonder if it being through the USB DVD drive instead of the download has made a difference too.

Does anyone have a version of the original fixes to try that work for Intel Iris (NOT Intel Iris Pro) as I've spent so much money on this game it seems like an absolute waste :(

Or even any way of getting a refund for ITF so I can put that money towards getting Sims 4 as it is so expensive!
  • Options
    Buffy660Buffy660 Posts: 5 New Member
    I did this 2 times and it still didn't work. I am having the same problems I started with.
  • Options
    CaamppCaampp Posts: 7 New Member
    Make sure you guys are putting in YOUR computers device ID when change intell iris. (Also make don't put intelllris with 3 Ls lol) I made did that and it either great for me. Thanks so much!!!!!.
  • Options
    faithheinefaithheine Posts: 1 New Member
    I have a Macbook Air 13" with the Intel HD Graphics 6000 and I can't even start the game. I installed it twice and when I click on the icon to launch the game nothing happens. Should I just return it and get The Sims 4?
  • Options
    faithheine wrote: »
    I have a Macbook Air 13" with the Intel HD Graphics 6000 and I can't even start the game. I installed it twice and when I click on the icon to launch the game nothing happens. Should I just return it and get The Sims 4?

If you don't want to try the workaround, yes.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    SamanthaJayne_xSamanthaJayne_x Posts: 1 New Member
    Do we have to do that for all our expansion packs? Or just for the main game, i did it for the main game and it's still not working :/
  • Options
    oliviaderrandaoliviaderranda Posts: 1 New Member
    > @faithheine said:
    > I have a Macbook Air 13" with the Intel HD Graphics 6000 and I can't even start the game. I installed it twice and when I click on the icon to launch the game nothing happens. Should I just return it and get The Sims 4?

Same thing happens to me! It just freezes on the start-up screen. I just tried the workaround and it didnt help.
  • Options
    For those with Intel HD 6000 graphics it's obviously not going to work because you don't have Iris Pro, you need to substitute the details for your card.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14047692/#Comment_14047692
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Here's a comprehensive guide on getting the game to work for those with Intel Iris, Intel Iris Pro, Intel HD 6000 and AMD Radeon R9 graphics.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    CaterinaECaterinaE Posts: 1 New Member
    edited September 2015
    Thanks so much for this :)

Managed to get it working on my Early-2015 Macbook Air with 8GB RAM & i7 Processor using the following lines...

card 0x1626 “HDGraphics6000”

and then "HDGraphics6000" in GraphicsRules.sgr

Thank you!!! Was so disheartened when it wasn't working - so glad to have a fix :D
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    CaterinaE wrote: »
    Thanks so much for this :)

Managed to get it working on my Early-2015 Macbook Air with 8GB RAM & i7 Processor using the following lines...

and then "HDGraphics6000" in GraphicsRules.sgr

Thank you!!! Was so disheartened when it wasn't working - so glad to have a fix :D

SO happy for you, well done! :D
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    @CaterinaE so the secret was HDGraphics6000, not IntelHD6000? Fantastic. Do you mind if I update my guide with this new info? I will absolutely give you credit :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    claud123claud123 Posts: 1 New Member
    hi i have an early 2015 macbook pro 13" and the workaround worked for me (so far) which I'm really happy about but i was wondering if you have to do the workaround with every expansion pack? i don't want to get all of them in fear or it crashing the game (and the macbook) but i want a few and obviously want them to work.
  • Options
    claud123 wrote: »
    hi i have an early 2015 macbook pro 13" and the workaround worked for me (so far) which I'm really happy about but i was wondering if you have to do the workaround with every expansion pack? i don't want to get all of them in fear or it crashing the game (and the macbook) but i want a few and obviously want them to work.

No. You change the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files which are core game files but it may be worth checking the changes are still there after installing an EP/SP :)
    apple-signature.png