Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How common is a meteor strike in Sims?

I hear about peoples' sims dying of being hit by a meteor, or houses being burnt and such. I have never seen either and I've been playing since about August last year. How common is it?

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited January 2014
    Originally the meteor was added with the Ambitions EP, and I think it was again added with the Into the Future EP, and possibly with Seasons but I'm not very sure. Now as far as how often it happens, I think it has a lot to do with the sim. Why I say this is because of what I have seen in my game. I have played families who never deal with it, while others, it feels like the universe it actually trying to do them in. I have had a couple of different sims, it seemed like every time they turned around they kept getting slammed by those things. But they were always able to get out of the area before the meteor would strike, because I would always get a pop up telling me that "So and So noticed that the sky is getting dark all of a sudden." I would take that as the que to get out of there.
  • Options
    BalaefrogBalaefrog Posts: 48 New Member
    edited January 2014
    Originally the meteor was added with the Ambitions EP, and I think it was again added with the Into the Future EP, and possibly with Seasons but I'm not very sure. Now as far as how often it happens, I think it has a lot to do with the sim. Why I say this is because of what I have seen in my game. I have played families who never deal with it, while others, it feels like the universe it actually trying to do them in. I have had a couple of different sims, it seemed like every time they turned around they kept getting slammed by those things. But they were always able to get out of the area before the meteor would strike, because I would always get a pop up telling me that "So and So noticed that the sky is getting dark all of a sudden." I would take that as the que to get out of there.

Okay thanks. So it's not part of the default game?
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited January 2014
    I've been playing for about a year with Ambitions, and I've had one meteor hit. Since I thought it came with Seasons, and I didn't have Seasons, by the time I finally figured out what was happening, it was too late. The meteor hit the school and killed my teen, and probably a lot of other kids. I quit without saving, and played the day over. The meteor didn't come back.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited January 2014
    I've been playing Sims 3 since the day it was released and I've only had a meteor fall one time. My sim was at work and I got a pop up (can't remember what it said, it's been too long) and she ran out of the building as a shadow fell across her job. Afterwards I collected the meteors and sold for a good profit. But I have heard using the telescope increases meteors. I don't know how true that is, or if that's been changed with a patch.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    edited January 2014
    I've had Ambitions in my game about a year now, and I've never had a meteor strike. So, for me they're rare, but I think some people get them more often.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited January 2014
    It is not common and I only had one Sim killed and that was because I didn't move him out of the way. Why didn't I? Because I thought, "Well I never have had one killed yet?" You get lots of time to move them.
  • Options
    tomchan0tomchan0 Posts: 952 Member
    edited January 2014
    I have been playing for years and never had one hit. My son, who is 9, just started playing and had one hit pretty much right away. You get a warning. The sim wonders why it got dark all of a sudden. Just move them out of the way. Unfortunately, for my son, he didn't know that and his sim died. He took it well. He loves having a ghost on his lot.
  • Options
    vonhaussenvonhaussen Posts: 270 New Member
    edited January 2014
    I've had Sims 3 since it came out and I've only witnessed maybe 3 meteorite hits. Two Sims were killed at one and mine would have been if I didn't get them out of the way in time. And I remember that one hit my house and I had to replace outdoor lighting and other things it hit.
    It's been a while since I've had one.
  • Options
    ridgetown07ridgetown07 Posts: 67
    edited January 2014
    I am pretty sure it was not part of the base game, because it never happened to me until I added "Ambitions". Every time it has ever happened to me, I was looking into a telescope and was at least into my 2nd or 3rd skill level. I always thought it would only happen if looking into a telescope, but I could be wrong. It can cause some serious damage (and even death), so be careful! :)
  • Options
    Megan31917Megan31917 Posts: 457 Member
    edited January 2014
    I think I've only experienced 2 meteor hits since it was introduced in Ambitions.

I also never had a Sim abducted by an alien more than once until I had them hold a space rock in their inventory. At least for me, having my Sims stargazing with space rocks in their inventory made the abductions occur more often.
  • Options
    AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited January 2014
    Also... if your sim stay out side for a long time it will hit where ever you are...so if you want one to hit just stay out side for a long long time and BOOM!!! Well, that's how I get one to show up on my lot or a community lot when I am writing stories and it happens each time...
  • Options
    tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    edited January 2014
    I've had way more meteor strikes than alien abductions. They seem to be very random, except of the time it hit the school. When this happened I had been hopping from home to home with the main characters that came with the world making sure the children grew up remarried and had children .... then when the town was full of children and teens ... wham the school got hit from the meteor and killed half of the children and adults that worked there. ... I think it was the games way of controlling the population. Like it thought I had too many children/teens so it found a way to kill half of them off ... who knew!
  • Options
    Samr883Samr883 Posts: 1,139 New Member
    edited January 2014
    I've had zero meteors and zero abductions. :( (Though an alien sim did knock on my sims door, befriend my sim then left) :?

I had one meteor on the sims 2. Played both games since release date.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited January 2014
    I've been playing Sims 3 since June, 2009 when it first came out. Since getting the Ambitions EP, I've had exactly three giant meteor strikes. Here's a couple of pictures:

Screenshot-200a-1.jpg

This is the Broke home in Riverview. A gigantic meteor hit one of the trailers and killed a couple of the Broke family members.

Another one struck my coffeehouse in Lunar Lakes while my singer was performing. Ruined the show, to say the least. Grimmy collected a few Sims that day.

Screenshot-799a.jpg

The third one happened in Appaloosa Plains while I was playing the Loveland household. Lots of destruction.

Screenshot-146a.jpg

I also had a large meteor hit my Sim family's home in Oasis Landing while they were in Dystopia mode. But there are frequent meteor strikes there, so I didn't take any pictures.

Best Regards,
    Nik

Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited January 2014
    Well in case you play ITF be aware that there's a bug with the dystopian future. Once established you may face a vast increase of meteor impacts not only in Oasis Landing but also in the base world. Changing the future to any of the other states doesn't help. Only resetting the future at the time portal (you need advanced tech level 10 for this) fixes it.
    Twallan's Traveler mod resolves this issue.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    diagnulldiagnull Posts: 52
    edited January 2014
    I've only seen one meteor in a few months of play. My sim only survived because it was a full moon and he had just jumped on his bike to go Lunatic Slap a neighbor.

-c
  • Options
    Ambermonk9Ambermonk9 Posts: 187 New Member
    edited January 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Well in case you play ITF be aware that there's a bug with the dystopian future. Once established you may face a vast increase of meteor impacts not only in Oasis Landing but also in the base world. Changing the future to any of the other states doesn't help. Only resetting the future at the time portal (you need advanced tech level 10 for this) fixes it.
    Twallan's Traveler mod resolves this issue.
    For more evidence of this watch 'Lets Play Into The Future' by Ribbit Rabbit. Once she went to Dystopia she couldn't get rid of them. That's probably the funniest part of the series. Every time when one would hit she would scream & yell & curse the programmers for creating the bug.
  • Options
    SamacoySamacoy Posts: 446
    edited January 2014
    Well I've only had three meteors since I've gotten Ambitions when it came out. My last one was January 2012, so two years ago. Some people have never seen a meteor strike and some can get them relatively "often." I think it's fairly random and uncommon.
  • Options
    chicarahchicarah Posts: 1 New Member
    I just had this happen to me yesterday. My Sim was a fire chief and had just been awarded a medal of bravery and key to the city of Riverview for rescuing a family from a house fire. The next day, he was at the fire hall working on the fire engine then "Ned noticed the sky was getting dark all of a sudden." A couple people ran around then before I figured it our BAM. Toast! Grim reaper came and took him. Now keep in mind my Sim was a vampire with the immortal happiness reward. WTH and go figure?? Fortunately I had saved him to my bin and went into Edit Town then create a household, pulled him out and merged him back with his (current) household he was in. What a pain. At least I now know what to do when the sky gets dark all of a sudden....get the hell out of dodge lol!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    chicarah wrote: »
    I just had this happen to me yesterday. My Sim was a fire chief and had just been awarded a medal of bravery and key to the city of Riverview for rescuing a family from a house fire. The next day, he was at the fire hall working on the fire engine then "Ned noticed the sky was getting dark all of a sudden." A couple people ran around then before I figured it our BAM. Toast! Grim reaper came and took him. Now keep in mind my Sim was a vampire with the immortal happiness reward. WTH and go figure?? Fortunately I had saved him to my bin and went into Edit Town then create a household, pulled him out and merged him back with his (current) household he was in. What a pain. At least I now know what to do when the sky gets dark all of a sudden....get the plum out of dodge lol!
    Another way is to maintain a series of saves using Save As with slightly different names, such as by appending a number or the date on the end of each one. That way you have a selection of recent saves to easily revert to should something awful happen and you need to re-play a day or two.

Or, of course, you could have quit without saving.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    TheEeveeLoversTheEeveeLovers Posts: 7 New Member
    > @brsy said:
    > Also... if your sim stay out side for a long time it will hit where ever you are...so if you want one to hit just stay out side for a long long time and BOOM!!! Well, that's how I get one to show up on my lot or a community lot when I am writing stories and it happens each time...

My sims didn't stay out side but one crashed even tho they are rare and it was my first day on the save
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I've only had three meteor strikes that weren't forced by mods since I play this game, and I have Ambitions since 2011 or 2012 I think. The first one was when my sim wanted to explore a tomb in egypt, the meteor fell just in front of the great pyramid. The second one hit the central park in Sunset Valley, and the third one hit my lot in Twinbrook. It didn't seem like it had to do with my sims at all, these strikes seem to be completely random and at a very low chance.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I think I've had 2 or 3 meteor strikes since I got the game. I got the game when it was released and got all the expansions on release or soon after release.

I did get a few others in one game when I had an alien in the household and he called them down. But that was me controlling him. I just wanted to see it happen. I don't usually play with aliens.
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Been playing since the game came out and never had one, so at least in my game it is extremely ultra rare :p
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I remember one person posting about her game. She just started a new game. Hadn't even had time to save it when a meteor hit and killed her Sims. She had to start again.