Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Legacy Writing Tips! *Come on in! We have cookies!*

Hello fellow story tellers!
I see all the time that there all these "mummy clubs" for 100BCs but I never really see anything for legacies so I thought that we could all share our tips for writing, or anything to do with legacies really, here! So come on in and even if you don't have anything to share you can still chat and maybe even learn a couple of tricks! Also we could share polls and things from our legacies here because I know that, certainly for me, I have to advertise in quite a lot of places to get what I see as a fair sample amount of votes!

Also we have cookies. So you should join ;)

In case you haven't got time to read through god knows how many pages here are some useful links that may help you out :) Please submit anything you think will help out others and I'll add it here!

Useful Links

Writing Tips:
Story-Telling Tips(written by mosneakers)CURRENTLY BROKEN

General resources:
Text Generator (ideal for texting conversations between simmies!)

Newspaper Templates (requires download and powerpoint but is easy to do)

Colour Names (names for rainbowacy sims)

Randomiser (Randomises lists for traits etc)

Avoiding Patching Issues and Other Tutorials (tutorials to avoid patching issues etc)
sig-advert.jpg

Comments

• Dancer-freakDancer-freak Posts: 223 Member
    edited December 2013
    Yum, Cookies! Hehe ;)
    This is cool! I have a couple things that I can maybe share that I figured out while writing my first legacy gen. (I'm kind of new to this, but still!)

Okay, so what helped me get through a lot of chapters is actually writing everything out before hand and then taking the pictures. So I write all the passages and then make list of what pictures I need. Then all I have to do is going into the game and take those pictures! When you go to actually write the chapter everything is pretty much done! I find that this is a time saver and it also gives you more paying time!
    You should also plan ahead! Before you even start your legacy, you should write at least 2 or 3 chapters (I did five) so that you don't get super bogged down.

Well... that's all from me for now. Haha! I'm looking forward to seeing somethings that could help me in the future :)
  • zefiewingszefiewings Posts: 2,649 Member
    edited December 2013
    Yum, Cookies! Hehe ;)
    This is cool! I have a couple things that I can maybe share that I figured out while writing my first legacy gen. (I'm kind of new to this, but still!)

Okay, so what helped me get through a lot of chapters is actually writing everything out before hand and then taking the pictures. So I write all the passages and then make list of what pictures I need. Then all I have to do is going into the game and take those pictures! When you go to actually write the chapter everything is pretty much done! I find that this is a time saver and it also gives you more paying time!
    You should also plan ahead! Before you even start your legacy, you should write at least 2 or 3 chapters (I did five) so that you don't get super bogged down.

Well... that's all from me for now. Haha! I'm looking forward to seeing somethings that could help me in the future :)

This is great advice...but only for one style of legacy.

See..I am actually telling the story of what my sims are really doing. I don't decide before hand. So I play, snap some pictures, then write about what happened.

My advice, if writing in the same or similar style as myself if to keep a note pad my the computer and if you take a snap shot, make a note about why you did, or other important info like sims names, traits, etc.

ff1pc0.jpg
    My Blog story with the challenge of my own design! Click and see!
  • antsims310antsims310 Posts: 1,154 New Member
    edited December 2013
    Ouu this is a really great idea!

I'm currently writing my second legacy after I completed the Halliwells. I find it helpful to write a chapter in word so it's easier to fix spelling mistakes and grammar. Once the chapter is done I play the game to get pictures. If i'm having trouble coming up with storylines, I like to draw inspiration from famous movies, books, tv shows, etc...

You can check out my legacy below! Tell me what you think! :D
  • puppyluvvpuppyluvv Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited December 2013
    I suppose I'm a little strange because I have a habit of taking pictures and writing at the same time. Usually I'll have Sims open in the background while I'm writing, I'll write a few paragraphs, then I'll go take pictures to go with them, then return to writing.

I think the most important thing is to find a process that you enjoy and find best for you. I've tried in the past to write the entire chapter first and then do the pictures, but for some reason that never worked for me. I've also tried taking pictures first and then writing out the chapter, but that did little more than confuse me (what's this picture for? I have no idea!!).

So, that's my advice. Don't worry about doing things the "right" way or the "wrong" way, just find something that works for you and jump right in. Everyone has a different process :)
    generation-two-banner-trait.png?w=640
    Our Lives are Better Left to Chance - A Legacy
  • serindeppityserindeppity Posts: 6,690 Member
    edited December 2013
    puppyluvv wrote:
    Don't worry about doing things the "right" way or the "wrong" way, just find something that works for you and jump right in. Everyone has a different process :)
    I agree with this. I originally took pictures then wrote. Then I sorta did both at the same time. Then I wrote before getting pictures, and now I can't do anything else for my legacies. xD that's what works best for me.
    So yeah, just experiment around a little. Don't feel like because something works for ten other people it should work for you because it might not. :3

Hmm question for you other legacy writers/readers. How do you feel about word count? Like, if you read a legacy and don't want to read it because the word length is too long or too short? (mostly asking cause someone recently told me I should make my chapters shorter to be more 'readable').
    g8b3.png
    Danevbie Legacy 8.24
    edited December 2013
    Hmm question for you other legacy writers/readers. How do you feel about word count? Like, if you read a legacy and don't want to read it because the word length is too long or too short? (mostly asking cause someone recently told me I should make my chapters shorter to be more 'readable').
    Hmm, that's a good question. When I read legacies, I like them to be longer, especially if they're full of action or drama or anything that catches my interest and refuses to let it go. I mean, if you're spending three paragraphs just describing your character doing something uninteresting that isn't relevant to the plot (ex. getting out of the car. "I pulled my keys from the ignition and pressed down on the red button at my side to release my seat belt. I then grabbed hold of the car door handle and tugged it towards me in order to be free from the confines of the car. As the cool air rushed in to greet me, I stood, took a step forward, and slammed the door shut behind me. My keys found their way into my right hand pocket and I was on my way.") I mean, don't get me wrong, once in a while it's alright, especially if you make it very telling about your character or its relevant to theplot, but otherwise it can make your story drag on and seem longer and "unreadable". If your story is super duper interesting though, then I'll usually be sad when the chapter ends and wish it was longer.

Although, like I said before, don't worry about what other people say. Write for you and write in a way that you enjoy, even if it means adding in long paragraphs about meaningless stuff! There's bound to be someone out there that enjoys that style writing, it's just not my cup of tea!

As for when I write, I aim for a minimum of five pages in Word at size 11, calibri font, though I don't really have a maximum. :) I feel like when the plot picks up, however, and there's much more going on, the length of chapters will increase. As of right now I'm only on the sixth chapter of my first generation, so there aren't yet any heirs to be following around or setting up plots for, so the chapters are shorter. Later, when my founder and her boyfriend have babies and those babies get bigger, the chapters will be longer because it won't just be focused on one character. But as I always say, write for you because if you aren't engaged, your audience won't be either.

I hope that made sense!

EDIT: I think that something else that helps though, is keeping the first few chapters short and sweet to get readers' attention and then increasing the length as the readers become more engaged in the story and more attached to the characters.
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    edited December 2013
    I don't like writing chapters out beforehand it makes me feel like my game play should be restricted to what I written out and I don't like that, though it could just be me.

What I like to do is have an idea in mind, like if I know where the story is going I'll come up with an idea for the chapter and go in game to take pics off of that idea. And if anything interesting happens while I'm playing I can than work it into the chapter because I have nothing written out so that idea I started with could change or grow depending on the pictures I take.

But that just depends on the type of challenge I'm doing and how I'm writing it
  • AllyoftheRainAllyoftheRain Posts: 769 Member
    edited December 2013
    Cookies?!?!?! WHERE?

I see no cookies. :evil:

Well, I actually consider myself pretty new to the legacy-writing circle. So I'll just read all your wonderful words of advice, bookmark, and then come back later, kay?

(and I expect to see cookies when I get back!)
    2v32551.jpg
    edited December 2013
    Cookies?!?!?! WHERE?

I see no cookies. :evil:

Well, I actually consider myself pretty new to the legacy-writing circle. So I'll just read all your wonderful words of advice, bookmark, and then come back later, kay?

(and I expect to see cookies when I get back!)

I, uh, um... Funny story, you see :XD: I may have, um, eaten... all of the... cookies?

halfeaten-cookie.jpg

There's one left over though
    that's not a bite mark I swear it was baked like that honest *sweats nervously*
  • zefiewingszefiewings Posts: 2,649 Member
    edited December 2013

Oh don't you dare shorten your chapters just because one person said so! Yours is the best legacy I have ever read and I will not have you purposely leaving stuff out just to make that one lazy reader happy! :evil:
    ff1pc0.jpg
    My Blog story with the challenge of my own design! Click and see!
    edited December 2013
    puppyluvv wrote:

ROFL! Used a crescent moon cookie cutter, did you? I don't think so. :twisted:
    2v32551.jpg
    edited December 2013
    puppyluvv wrote:

ROFL! Used a crescent moon cookie cutter, did you? I don't think so. :twisted:

*Sweats nervously* I, uh, yes! That's exactly what I did hahahahahaha
    edited December 2013
    puppyluvv wrote:

:roll: I'm watching you, cookie thief!
    2v32551.jpg
    edited December 2013
    puppyluvv wrote:

:roll: I'm watching you, cookie thief!
    YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE *runs off into sunset*
    edited December 2013
    puppyluvv wrote:
    "I pulled my keys from the ignition and pressed down on the red button at my side to release my seat belt. I then grabbed hold of the car door handle and tugged it towards me in order to be free from the confines of the car. As the cool air rushed in to greet me, I stood, took a step forward, and slammed the door shut behind me. My keys found their way into my right hand pocket and I was on my way."

This is all I could think of and now I can't stop laughing xD <3
    But yeah as for the write-for-yourself I agree completely although sometimes it's hard to put that in practice when you want to make your readers happy. I always tell people "write for yourself! don't worry what readers will think!" and then when I write stuff I am sitting there panicking. xD
    I like the idea of using a page count instead of a word count. Since I write directly into wordpress (probably a bad idea, oops) I keep track using a word count. My chapters are usually between 4000 and 4500 words, since my sixth gen started I decided to stop restricting myself with short chapters (for some reason in my 4th gen I decided it'd be a good idea to keep things short and keep the chapters around 2k words and I regret it so much...).
    zefiewings wrote:
    Oh don't you dare shorten your chapters just because one person said so! Yours is the best legacy I have ever read and I will not have you purposely leaving stuff out just to make that one lazy reader happy! :evil:
    Haha I won't shorten my chapters don't worry, I was just mostly curious to see what other people thought about short vs. long or even if it mattered to people (to me, it doesn't matter at all).
    g8b3.png
    Danevbie Legacy 8.24
    edited December 2013

This is all I could think of and now I can't stop laughing xD <3
    But yeah as for the write-for-yourself I agree completely although sometimes it's hard to put that in practice when you want to make your readers happy. I always tell people "write for yourself! don't worry what readers will think!" and then when I write stuff I am sitting there panicking. xD
    I like the idea of using a page count instead of a word count. Since I write directly into wordpress (probably a bad idea, oops) I keep track using a word count. My chapters are usually between 4000 and 4500 words, since my sixth gen started I decided to stop restricting myself with short chapters (for some reason in my 4th gen I decided it'd be a good idea to keep things short and keep the chapters around 2k words and I regret it so much...).
    *Takes a bow* Ah, yes, I'm here to entertain.
    Yeah, you're definitely right there. With my first few legacies, I was always so worried about impressing my audience that I found that I wasn't even enjoying what I was writing anymore. I've gotten better at it now, but I still find myself going "Oh crap they're gonna hate it they're gonna hate it they're gonna hate it."
    I usually write a few paragraphs, read them over, and then paste them into Wordpress. I like having them in Word because then one day I'll be able to look at that huge page count and be like "Whoa, I pretty much wrote a whole novel here." And that'll feel pretty good. :) Sometimes I look at word count, but since I keep all of the chapters in the same Word document, it can get a little tedious to do so. :)
    Ah, don't regret it! There's nothing wrong with short chapters and I'm sure your readers enjoyed them just as much as the long ones :) I used to write really short chapters too. A few months ago I went back and read over one of my old legacies and I just "How did I even get readers???" The chapters were tiny and not very well written at all. Not to mention my graphics were terrible, but I don't think anyone cared about that but me, haha. :p
    edited December 2013
    puppyluvv wrote:
    I usually write a few paragraphs, read them over, and then paste them into Wordpress. I like having them in Word because then one day I'll be able to look at that huge page count and be like "Whoa, I pretty much wrote a whole novel here." And that'll feel pretty good. :) Sometimes I look at word count, but since I keep all of the chapters in the same Word document, it can get a little tedious to do so. :)
    Ah, don't regret it! There's nothing wrong with short chapters and I'm sure your readers enjoyed them just as much as the long ones :) I used to write really short chapters too. A few months ago I went back and read over one of my old legacies and I just "How did I even get readers???" The chapters were tiny and not very well written at all. Not to mention my graphics were terrible, but I don't think anyone cared about that but me, haha. :p
    I recently did a word count for my entire main legacy up to one of the last chapters of gen six XD it was insane.
    And I am the same I look back at my first gens and am like... :oops: my picture taking skills were so much worse than they are now (and yet when I see people doing legacies and stories with not-perfect-pictures I never even care about that, it's only my own story I worry about pictures!)

I think it is cool writing sim legacies for the reason you said about looking at how much we've written and being surprised and impressed at what we've done. My mom doesn't treat my sim writing as "real" writing but legacies take a lot of work between gameplay and keeping track of stuff and maintaining your blog or forum thread, and all that. Plus all the writing!

Sim writers are awesome. :3
    g8b3.png
    Danevbie Legacy 8.24
    edited December 2013
    I recently did a word count for my entire main legacy up to one of the last chapters of gen six XD it was insane.
    And I am the same I look back at my first gens and am like... :oops: my picture taking skills were so much worse than they are now (and yet when I see people doing legacies and stories with not-perfect-pictures I never even care about that, it's only my own story I worry about pictures!)

I think it is cool writing sim legacies for the reason you said about looking at how much we've written and being surprised and impressed at what we've done. My mom doesn't treat my sim writing as "real" writing but legacies take a lot of work between gameplay and keeping track of stuff and maintaining your blog or forum thread, and all that. Plus all the writing!

Sim writers are awesome. :3
    I hardly ever notice when people's pictures aren't great, but I can't help but judge my own, haha. I imagine that's pretty common though. :p Oi, my picture taking skills back then we're pretty awful too, but I think that's another great thing about legacy writing: it allows you to improve some much in tons of different aspects, so even though looking back on past work may be... painful, it's also awesome to see how much we've improved since :)

I've attempted to write a ton of different novels but I never really get all that far. For some reason, writing a legacy, even though it probably is more work because of pictures and balancing your story with your game time and all that, is more relaxing and just easier for me. One day I'll be able to look at it and be like, "See! I can write a novel! I pretty much just did!"

Sim writers are the bestest :p
    edited December 2013
    puppyluvv wrote:
    I hardly ever notice when people's pictures aren't great, but I can't help but judge my own, haha. I imagine that's pretty common though. :p Oi, my picture taking skills back then we're pretty awful too, but I think that's another great thing about legacy writing: it allows you to improve some much in tons of different aspects, so even though looking back on past work may be... painful, it's also awesome to see how much we've improved since :)

I think we inexplicably gave another tip:
    Don't worry too much about your pictures! Your readers won't, and over time you'll learn how to get nice ones/the best way for you to get pictures! :)
    g8b3.png
    Danevbie Legacy 8.24
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited December 2013
    I've been writing a town legacy story in Winfield based on my town legacy challenge rules until my Sims 3 computer fan packed it up and it went to the shop for a new fan to be installed.I'm currently working with a Sims 2 story on my old computer and I love the story progression from Sims 2 a lot more than Sims 3 though I like the open ended town in Sims 3.I've had to turn to NRaas Mods just to make my town legacy story work because EA's Story Progression tends to completely ruin the town legacy stories with it's garbage being forced into your game story and making it an unplayable nightmare.
    I will be using Story Progression in Winfield and can tune out the one I'll use because I'm planning to use NRaase8a506dc4ad763aca51bec4ca7dc8560.gif for Story Progression instead ofe78feac27fa924c4d0ad6cf5819f3554.gif EA's SP disaster.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • MrsOogieBoogieMrsOogieBoogie Posts: 844 Member
    edited December 2013
    Hmm... Legacy writing tips.. *thinks*

Well, how I write is solely based on which story I'm writing for.. For my legacy, I usually always take pictures first and write in what I want later. Though for my regular stories that aren't legacies, I sometimes write first and get pictures later, so it's either way for me. For this writing advice, it's more for Story Legacies rather than just normal legacies.

Pros and Cons of Writing first:
    *Pro - If you know what you want to write but haven't gotten the pictures yet, it's good to get out all that you have in mind first and then get pictures after you have an idea on what you want to accomplish or what you want to describe for that specific chapter.
    *Con - Writing first limits you a lot. Although you have something in mind and want to portray it how you see it, Sims only let's you do so much. Especially if you use poses, you need to make sure you can either find the poses you want, or you need to be able to make them yourself in order to give the chapter a certain feel. Chapters begin to get boring if your Sims are just standing there, or if you're writing dialogue but their expressions are blank and lifeless.

Pros and Cons of getting pictures first:
    *Pro - Getting pictures first is a good tool to use when you don't know where you want to go with the chapter. If you know how you want to start, but don't know the middle or ending, getting pictures first lets you get into the mood and get into a 'feel' for what you want to write and ideas can spring out of nowhere when getting pictures. If you have your Sims on high free-will, letting them do what they want sometimes helps you on what they could be doing or can help you get more into your character based on their traits and based off of what they themselves would like to do. Does that make sense? XD
    *Pro - In some cases this can be a con because it just takes up more time, BUT, if you get pictures first and write in later, as you write, you can maybe look at the picture you're about to write for an decide "Nah, I don't want to do that anymore". It gives you a chance to change what you have if you're not feeling it. Sometimes when I write for pictures I've already taken, I'll write how I thought I wanted it to go, but then decided 'Maybe this isn't the best approach'. Like while writing, you could've thought that that was how you wanted it to go when you were getting the pictures without writing, but as you write, you could either get more into it, resulting in needing a change if how you feel doesn't match the pictures, or if you weren't sure when you were getting the pictures, it gives you a chance to correct anything that you're now feeling not so great about.

Hope this helps anyone writing a Story Legacy :D
    For an example, you could always check out my story legacy, it's the link in my sig.
    edited December 2013
    *Con - Writing first limits you a lot. Although you have something in mind and want to portray it how you see it, Sims only let's you do so much. Especially if you use poses, you need to make sure you can either find the poses you want, or you need to be able to make them yourself in order to give the chapter a certain feel. Chapters begin to get boring if your Sims are just standing there, or if you're writing dialogue but their expressions are blank and lifeless.
    This is one of my major problems, I always feel limited in my writing because of this sort of thing. But that usually doesn't stop me. And then I get frustrated. And then I usually have to work with different poses and make the camera go at different angles to make it work. It's a lot of work, and rather frustrating.
    But since my personal style of writing is exceedingly plot heavy, I gotta do what I gotta do. xD
    I think one of the cons with pictures first for me was I was even more limited. When I did my first couple of generations and did pictures first, I tried to push my sims into the general plot but overall I was limited in what I could write about to go with the picture.
    (But that's just me really I know a ton of people write amazing legacies with awesome storylines using pictures first. I'm just personally not talented at that.)
    g8b3.png
    Danevbie Legacy 8.24
    edited December 2013
    This is one of my major problems, I always feel limited in my writing because of this sort of thing. But that usually doesn't stop me. And then I get frustrated. And then I usually have to work with different poses and make the camera go at different angles to make it work. It's a lot of work, and rather frustrating.
    But since my personal style of writing is exceedingly plot heavy, I gotta do what I gotta do. xD
    I think one of the cons with pictures first for me was I was even more limited. When I did my first couple of generations and did pictures first, I tried to push my sims into the general plot but overall I was limited in what I could write about to go with the picture.
    (But that's just me really I know a ton of people write amazing legacies with awesome storylines using pictures first. I'm just personally not talented at that.)
    I think, either way, you're going to be seriously limited, though some people are going to find ways to make it work, I'm not. That's why I do both at the same time, with Word open and Sims running in the background. I write a little then go take pictures for it, and it definitely works for me the best :)
  • MrsOogieBoogieMrsOogieBoogie Posts: 844 Member
    edited December 2013
    puppyluvv wrote:
    I think, either way, you're going to be seriously limited, though some people are going to find ways to make it work, I'm not. That's why I do both at the same time, with Word open and Sims running in the background. I write a little then go take pictures for it, and it definitely works for me the best :)

Puppyluvv - Hmm, that's a good idea, actually.. Writing in a different document and then getting pictures as you go. I also do this sometimes, like I'll write in the draft for my wordpress and take pictures as I go, but then again, if you use poses like I do, and you don't have a pose to work with that scene, you need to find the pose, close the game, put it in, then open it again and pick up where you left off. Either way, it's going to be frustrating.

serindeppity - True, you gotta do what you gotta do, so if that involves more work, then so be it XD You just need to accept and take in what you can and can't do when it comes to getting the shots you really want.

Do either of you use poses/pose player?
    edited December 2013

serindeppity - True, you gotta do what you gotta do, so if that involves more work, then so be it XD You just need to accept and take in what you can and can't do when it comes to getting the shots you really want.

Do either of you use poses/pose player?
    I love the way you put that. It's so very true and something I need to remind myself of constantly.
    I do use pose player. A LOT! I really need to go through and write down all the poses though or something since I have so many I can't remember which ones do what and I don't like keeping them all in my game at the same time. xD
    g8b3.png
    Danevbie Legacy 8.24