Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cannot buy a fireplace without game crashing ever since movie stuff pack

Hi simmers,

ever since having the movie stuff pack and buying the new world midnight hollow i cannot buy a fireplace and place it in a room without my game crashing.. it's really annoying..

why does ea games always have to release another sims game before it's perfection!.. so many problems with the sims 3.. the sims 2 and sims 1 never had so many problems!! :evil:

can someone please help me! :?

cheers

Comments

• danacnbrettdanacnbrett Posts: 102 Member
    edited October 2013
    I have a problem with fireplaces on one of my lots. I used the MOO cheat to change the chimneys. Never will I do that again. It seems to have corrupted the lot. Have you tried buying a fireplace on a different lot?
  • chickybabe_89chickybabe_89 Posts: 3
    edited October 2013
    yeah i have :-( and it still crashes.. so annoying!!
    edited October 2013
    Do you have any mods that effect buy/build mode?
  • Sparkysim2Sparkysim2 Posts: 359 Member
    edited October 2013
    Wow, I see all these threads saying they are having trouble after Movie Stuff was installed. I have everything and most all the store stuff and I've had no problems what so ever. I do have a very good lap top and don't use hardly any CC and no mods.
    "If I don't remember it, it didn't happen." CM
  • Flowerscotland76Flowerscotland76 Posts: 263 New Member
    edited November 2013
    Ahhh! So glad it is not just me then! It keeps happening to me too. I wonder why this is happening?
  • vonhaussenvonhaussen Posts: 270 New Member
    edited December 2013
    My husband has a bachelors in computer engineering and we can spend all day trying to troubleshoot the games. And it never fails when a new patch is installed the whole game screws up to where we're uninstalling EVERYTHING and then installing the games several times over only to find some other glitch that prevents the game from running. Backing up the files is your best bet. Clearing out the cache files each time before you play helps out a lot too.

I really wish they'd get their act together with performance and compliance with all the games by their Quality Assurance department (if they even have one). And when their customer service representatives tell you they can't help you, because the issue is too complicated for them and then puts you right back into the cue line, you can't but feel frustrated and angry. People spend a good amount of money on the games and expect them to work.
    And this is why I won't buy Sims 4 - due to the quality of the games, all the glitches, and customer service. To me it's not worth it.
  • Ralf453Ralf453 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited December 2013
    Hi :-) Does this fireplace happen to be on an added level (i.e. 2nd floor, 3rd floor, etc.)
    grumpy-cat-lick.gif
    edited December 2013
    @Ralf453. Yes. I can place a fireplace on the first floor with no problem. But when I try to place a fireplace directly above the first floor fireplace on the second floor the game will crash. Do you know a fix for this?
  • TheRealStaceTheRealStace Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2014
    I think you just solved my problem. My game crashed on me twice today, my comp literally shut down without warning within 30 minutes of starting the game - twice. I did a digital download of movie stuff yesterday and the lot I'm playing is an apartment (Bridgeport) with a fireplace where I've used MOO to remove the chimney. Going to try a new neighbourhood without a fireplace and see how long it takes before my comp shuts down on me. Hoping this is the prob. Thanks!
    edited January 2014
    Please let us know how it turns out for you TheRealStace.
  • TheRealStaceTheRealStace Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2014
    Bad news (for this thread). Turns out my crashing problem was being caused by my new laptop cooling pad - it was heating up my comp instead of cooling it down. I went back to my old one and was able to play my game without any issues for a couple hours this morning.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited January 2014
    Ralf453 wrote:
    Hi :-) Does this fireplace happen to be on an added level (i.e. 2nd floor, 3rd floor, etc.)
    @Ralf453. Yes. I can place a fireplace on the first floor with no problem. But when I try to place a fireplace directly above the first floor fireplace on the second floor the game will crash. Do you know a fix for this?

Hello, sorry for necroing a thread, but I found this discussion while I was experiencing the same problem, and I wanted to share my work-around.

Specifically, when removing and attempting to replace a 2nd floor fireplace with a model less likely to start fires, after two fires in my home, I repeatedly locked up, and Windows required me to quit Sims 3.

Ralf453's query and danacnbrett's reply made me consider another approach.

I began by deleting the 2nd floor fireplace, but then I toggled to the lower story to delete that one as well. The sledgehammer tool would not affect it, even after using the Testingcheatsenabled True cheat and Moveobjects On.

I had to use the hand tool to pull and delete the fireplace manually. Then I had to do the same with the chimney inside the first floor mantle, inside the second floor (I wall-box off my chimneys when they are in the interior of the house) and then the cap and remaining chimney on my roof.

I was then able to add the second floor fireplace without any trouble and, lastly, replace the first floor fireplace as well.

Hope this also helps anyone else who runs into this issue in the future.
  • JustPatriciaJustPatricia Posts: 80 Member
    test