Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Importing sims into CAW?

Hi, I'm working on a world and want to make this one really good! :D.
I would really appreciate if someone could tell me how to import sims families (that I've made) into CAW :).
I've looked for hours trying to find some info on this...but it seems that people for some reason aren't asking the same question?? I don't know..but if someone could maybe post some screenshots of them importing them, that would be great. Thanks :D

Comments

• Options
    ChallarisChallaris Posts: 16
    edited September 2013
    I wondered the same thing. But as I put cash registers in the stores I made and community buildings from the library into the world, people came with them and began filling all the houses I put in the town. Now my world is populated, and the Sim I made is no longer alone.
    (In the Edit World mode you will find community buildings to place in your world.)
  • Options
    ChallarisChallaris Posts: 16
    edited September 2013
    I forgot to add that I haven't figured out yet how to put Sim families I made and stored in the library into the world I'm working on. I'm thinking of changing households by making a household, move one out, make another family with that Sim, and repeat the process until I fill up the houses I have left with my own creations.
  • Options
    StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited September 2013
    Hi again waverley77.
    To import/package Sims into a world in CAW requires using a few NRaas mods.
    Master Controller, DeBugEnabler & Porter.
    You can find a tutorial by Kiwi-Tea @ Pasimfic Wiki on how to add Sims in CAW here
    Adding Sims to CAW is an intermediate/advanced undertaking, but if you can get your custom flyover figured out, you'll probably be fine :wink:
    Always keep a backup of your world in safe place.
    Done wrong this process will corrupt world file & make it unplayable.
    The FAQ at the top of this forum is an invaluable resource.
    I'd recommend it as your first go to when looking for most things CAW.

Edit: A much simpler solution if you want to share a prepopulated world, is to offer a "save file" with Sims you've added in game.

stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
  • Options
    waverley77waverley77 Posts: 88 Member
    edited September 2013
    Thanks guys :D I did know that when you add stuff like cash registers and bars sims automatically populate the world. I have found that forum before and I will probably sound really stupid...but those things are really hard to follow :(, but thank you very much :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    In the beginning these things are hard for most people to get the hang of.
    The only real difference between folks that figure it out & those that don't is persistence(being stubborn helps) :wink:

Edit: You can use the Porter mod when starting any new game.
    This mod let's you quickly populate your world with Sims from your bin.
    Over the years I've collected many themed households to my bin.
    If I'm playing a 17th century Caribbean archipelago or an isolated Mars colony.
    I have households ready to go.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yeah...I guess I was stubborn ages ago and people just got annoyed... so I don't do that anymore :/.
    I actually don't know how to install mods... :lol: I've also read that they're bad for the game and I've already had to uninstall every single expansion pack in the past and start fresh because of custom content :evil: .
    Thanks for your help :D I would like to know how to use mods though..:D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    You don't have to completely re install game to get rid of problem CC.
    If you check the technical forum you'll find info on how to deal with CC (good or bad)
    Check crinrict's thread here.
    The actual fix takes very little time.
    I have quite a few mods & plenty of CC, but I can move my mod/CC files in or out of my game files in less than a minute.
    Most mods have to be removed & updated whenever there's a game patch.
    Out dated mods will break your game, but it's not like breaking a glass.
    Once you remove old mod, problems solved :wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Ok cool, I'll check some out :D Just to let you know, you've been a really big help :D
  • Options
    knh330knh330 Posts: 1,593 Member
    edited September 2013
    Wait...so you need mods to make a populated world?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    knh330, that's correct.
    CAW by itself does not have the ability to add Sims to a world before exporting.
    That's one of the reasons, very few user made worlds are pre-populated.
  • Options
    SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited September 2013
    When Story progression is on, you will get Sims in you're world. Same goes for players who have installed you're world. If you want you're own Sims, you can do this:

- Install you're world, make you're families as you normally would do and place them in you're world.
    - Save you're game, exit the game en look for you're game here:
    C:\My documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves.
    - Selected you're saved game, right click --> copy to compressed zip folder.
    - If you have a program like WinRar (nagware), 7 zip (freeware) of FreeArc (freeware) you can also use that to right click --> add to archive (see here). Download links for those programs see here (it's a Dutch site but it speaks for itself). After you add to archive you get a zip file.
    - Upload the zip file to a site like Mediafire of Box.
    - The link you are provided with you can include in the description of you're world or in you're topic (in you have one) you have opened about you're world, or in you're blog, or ... whatever. Upload first you're file before you upload you're world so you can include this link in the description.
    - Players can now download you're families and you're world. Only, after they have unpacked this file, players have to put it with their Saves folder in My documents.

I think (have red) it's best to make and place families before you start to play you're world.

EDIT:
    Or you offer you're families by exporting them from the game. So players can download them separately. If you use the Exchange, players can download and install them through the launcher.

• Options
    zimmer1zimmer1 Posts: 1 New Member
    What happens If I import sims that have cc on them? Like hair and clothing I've found in TSR. Will it cause problems for players that install my world?
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvUjZnRkNZM
    This video is super helpful for anyone who learns better with visuals ;)