Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Corner sinks / toilets & mutlifunctional objects- less wasted space

SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
I am a clutter fiend and I love to make the most of spaces. I really hate when space is wasted so I love objects that maximize the use of space or have multiple functions.

One suggestion is a medicine cabinet with mirror. I'm not sure if there is one in game or not.
Here are a couple of examples:
tumblr_mp3jdbSnUZ1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg
tumblr_mp3jjxr6eA1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

Now sometimes there might not be much space for things and you need to put some objects in corners so there are corner medicine cabinets
tumblr_mp3jsunCsC1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg
tumblr_mp3lqnlIkH1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg
That last one has 3 purposes: mirror, storage, and a light- plus it fits in a corner. I would have gone with a bar light instead of two large bulbs that look like creepy eyes though.

And what is the point of a corner medicine cabinet without a corresponding corner sink/vanity?
wall mount:
tumblr_mp3mbasndS1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

pedestal:
tumblr_mp3m2tqUZZ1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

open vanity with shelves and a small bar from which washcloths/towels can be hung:
tumblr_mp3m9ceTgO1qhfuqwo1_250.jpg

full corner vanity
tumblr_mp3mmmJwxo1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

they can have a curved front like the above or a flat front like the one below (which shows it with the medicine cabinet)
tumblr_mp3mr22x8q1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

Just google "corner sink" or "corner vanity" to see many more pictures.

For a small laundry room or bathroom/laundry combo there could be a corner linen cabinet
tumblr_mp3mdf0Dwb1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

Since we were talking about saving space and sinks, I'd like to move on to toilet sink combos:
tumblr_mp3m0uuaKK1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

There are a variety of them with different bowl shapes and sizes as well as different positions for the faucets.

The kitty cat likes the sink on this one
tumblr_mp3n7wvfM31qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

Next post: more toilets

Comments

• SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited June 2013
    Toilets come in a variety of different shapes, sizes, bowl types, flush types, etc. The flush lever/button can be on the front, left, right, top, or even be wall-mounted. Some toilets just have sensors (not to be confused with censors-- which are evil).
    They can be one piece, two piece, with tank mounted up on wall, etc.

There are some catalogs from the 50s that show some pink toilets and there are even some blue and white porcelain ones (click to see the picture):
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/fd2e4b007642bac6f194c8d6f96b0f01/tumblr_mp3neqswwG1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

Thrones (or chairs with toilets built into them OR toilets with chairs/seats built around them)
    tumblr_mp3nngee6g1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mp3nr182ey1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

For cramped spaces here is a mobile home toilet with a sink that folds down (its folded up in this pic)
    tumblr_mp3nszi5Fz1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

And of course we have industrial sink/toilet combo with storage
    tumblr_mp3nwmvd031qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

Moving along we get in to corner toilets. Until recently I didn't even know they existed. For the most part they use a normal toilet base and just have a special tank. In real life they may be a bit trickier to install because most require a 12" rough in and in the US the code states that there must be at least 15" of space from the center of the toilet to the nearest wall/stationary object on either side (meaning a space must be a minimum of 30" with the toilet exactly centered) and a minimum of 21" in front of the toilet bowl (although 30" is recommended).
    There was a toilet in the UK where even the base fit in the corner, leaving no room for fingers or accessing plumbing behind:
    tumblr_mozs0yJ1ox1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

There are some with tanks that are sort of flat on the front
    tumblr_mozs6c9ukp1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

some that are curved
    tumblr_mp3o4erYt71qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

And some that are sort of fancy (like the Regent one here)
    tumblr_mozs43MHkj1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

Sadly I have not been able to find a corner toilet sink combo so I don't think they exist, but it would be cool if they did.

They need to make some more corner tubs and corner showers for this game too. Also, showers with benches would be great. I'm too lazy to dig up pics at just this moment.

To show the corner fixtures in action, an overhead shot of a small bathroom with corner toilet and corner sink
    tumblr_mp3o7m5Fq91qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

And here is one with corner toilet, corner sink, and corner shower
    tumblr_mp3objOM5q1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

Of course, moving on in multifunction we have the infamous washing machine toilet that uses "gray water" for flushing.
    tumblr_mp3pgjmvGa1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

And from there a combination washing machine sink
    tumblr_mp3pleW8S11qhfuqwo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mp3pqcfu051qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

Fun fact, they actually used to make a refrigerator/stove combo but I'm guessing they didn't work out very well.

My next post is about washer/dryer combos
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited June 2013
    Now, I mention this in my laundry thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/226129.page but I want to specifically focus on the washer/dryer combos.

Front load dryer on top load washer
    tumblr_m4ggzk5Ic61qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

Front load washer AND dryer
    tumblr_m4gh10HBPU1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

Front load washer and dryer with digital display
    tumblr_m8njfhaUvZ1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

Moving along to clothing storage: some tilt out hampers on units with shelves or that function as end tables would be nice
    tumblr_moj9lsMgQl1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

And speaking of end tables, how about an end table litter box?
    tumblr_mp3q5qSJsL1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

One more thought that I may touch on in a later post: Storage beds.
    There was a bed with drawers underneath but it only functioned as a bed. How about making the drawer part function as a dresser?

That is all I can think of for now.
  • tomarixhazumutomarixhazumu Posts: 82 New Member
    edited June 2013
    If they could figure out how to allow sims to route to and use these spaces, that would great! That would mean less emphasis on bathroom size and more space for stuff like outdoor landscaping and yards. I'm not sure if sims have actual use for medicine cabinets though. They'd probably just look like regular mirrors.
  • laurenvonzombielaurenvonzombie Posts: 49 New Member
    edited June 2013
    THIS IS A TRULY BRILLIANT IDEA! for ages now i have been frustrated with the toilets and sinks in the game.... we can have a corner bath tub and shower but no corner toilet or sink? and im a feind for matching suites too so i think this is a very reasonable request!

I LOVE the toilet sink combi too would be perfect for an under stairs w/c, outhouse, or for giving a very small house the luxury of an ensuite!

im all for this idea i hope someone takes your suggestion to heart!
  • murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited June 2013
    GENIUS!
    We've been needing corner stuff for a looooooong time. :cry:
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited June 2013
    Toilet/sink combos? :shock:

They don't have those where I live... I don't know that I'd even like that. lol
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Kellieann123Kellieann123 Posts: 507 Member
    edited June 2013
    We need corner stuff so badly... I thought the main idea of being able to put things diagonally on the grid was that we could put some better use to the wasted space we had.. But NOPE.

This is a great idea & I hope they implement it!
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the replies!
    If I were better at meshing and such I would make some myself. I actually plan to take a crack at it but I am terrible with the UVmapping and texturing part.

I tried to make a stove by altering a mesh but ended up having some problems.

I have so many projects in my head that I want to try to do and keep getting stuck on things. I may see if I can rope a more experienced modder in to helping me once I crank out some meshes (but I work slow and procrastinate a lot).

I really should be focusing on the real-life reno stuff (like rebuilding the back steps that broke, sanding the floor, pouring self-leveling flooring stuff in the bathroom, putting down linoleum,adjusting the toilet flange installing the toilet, cleaning the roof, cleaning the gutters, cutting down some small trees, fixing some gates, fixing some fences, fixing some broken plumbing...)

But playing with pixels is less stress on the body. LOL.

Wow, I digressed.

Here is a shot from Milkshape of an adaptation I was doing of a storage bed. No footboard or headboard currently.
    tumblr_maba716KRn1qku51so1_500.jpg

It has shelf space near the headboard so it would be usable next to night stands. I hope to someday build this for my own bedroom to go with my existing headboard.

It was inspired by this:
    tumblr_maa576wBaY1qku51so1_500.jpg

I think Inge suggested I should make it modular so that there can be shelves wherever people want and that the drawer faces can be placed on.

Someone actually made a bed with a dresser underneath. I tried but the drawers were blocked by the bed. I need to figure out what the person did to make it work.

I think something to do with the footprint or bounding box is an issue. I know that Sims can interact with sinks when they are placed on counters. It may require separate objects and have the back of the toilet be a placement slot and have routing so Sims can interact with the sink by leaning over or standing next to it.

I actually pondered making modular sinks where different faucets/levers could be placed on different bowls.

Another thing I forgot to mention was sinks for corner counters like this:
    Ikea-Corner-Kitchen-Sink-500x375.jpg
    enex-sink-lcr3221.jpg

A diagonal corner counter would be nice for diagonal sinks
    design3129.jpg
    Corner-Kitchen-Sink-Pictures.jpg

barisaxy, I had never seen the toilet/sink combos before either. I think they are from Japan (but I could be wrong). Other places don't have the same code for space in bathrooms and I imagine in places where things can be more cramped they try to make the best use of the space possible. In tiny apartments where there might not be room for a sink AND a toilet, the combo would make sense. I don't know if I would want that in my own home, but its a neat idea.

I'm actually surprised that Toto doesn't make toilet sink combos. I don't think they make corner tanks either. It's a shame bc they make the best toilets on the market.

Did I remember to mention bookcase headboards on beds? I would love something that actually functions as a bookcase.
  • SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited June 2013
    I am LOVING the corner sinks and toilets! Also, I'm new to the idea of combo sinks/toilets but after the fish n flush is it really that outlandish? Nope! xD

You have my support on corner stuff!

Also this...

tumblr_maba716KRn1qku51so1_500.jpg

Is this for a single bed? Because this is something I could really use in my irl apartment! So much paper and clutter on my floor that could really be filed somewhere and those drawers might just do the trick!
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited June 2013
    Knowing what I know about toilets, a toilet/sink combo is incredibly unsanitary and one that involves a washing machine is even more unsanitary. In fact, you shouldn't have your washing machine near your bathroom if you want to prevent your clean clothes from getting human excrement on them (hint: tiny particles of it go airborn whenever you flush... and certain newer toilet designs are actually worse about this).

That's why a lot of toothbrushes these days come with caps.

edited June 2013
    Thanks for the support, Sugarave.
    I'm trying to make a single and a double bed version of that.

The inspiration bed was from the Deer Run series by Lea Industries.

If you know anyone handy there are some awesome bed ideas at Ana-White.com. Ana is a carpenter and she makes furniture and then blogs the plans, gives material lists, and will even do a diagram that shows how to get the most use out of your materials with the least amount of waste.

She has an option for her followers to do "brag posts" where they post pictures and comments about what they did with the plans and if they made any changes.

I'll have to find the link again, but one of the followers merged three different bed plans to have a specific headboard and footboard with the underbed storage (those beds are called "storage bed" and "captain's bed") and the footboard had a cool feature where it flipped up to reveal hidden storage in the middle-- which could double as a panic room for their small child.

I was thinking of building the drawers with the shelf as in my sketch but having a hydrolic lift so that the top of the platform (on which the mattress rests) would lift up to allow access to storage. My mattress weighs 90lbs and with the wood it would be heavier so I was thinking it would take two 100lb lift shocks.
    Here's an example of the lift system
    tumblr_mj2g3eoT6G1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

Here's my 3D model
    tumblr_mp6vornv1v1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg
    obn7oov

TanyaRubirose, studies were done that showed waste material got on to things even outside of the bathroom so it is pretty much inevitable regardless of where things are placed. Putting the toilet seat down while flushing can help reduce the spread a bit, but you will never eliminate it entirely. Quite frankly, our bodies are carrying that stuff so just a small amount is not going to hurt us. It's in large quantities that it becomes a problem.

I think people are getting a little overly worried about bacteria and the excessive cleaning and germ killing is actually detrimental because people do not develop immunity. Obviously too much exposure is unhealthy, but not enough is unhealthy as well.

Back to the corner stuff.
    Here are some neat corner showers
    tumblr_mmo1d0nvBW1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg
    tumblr_mp6xisGNBZ1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mp6xl6gSUi1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

Obviously those are too large for small spaces, but they still use space efficiently.

Also, corner cooktop would be neat.
    tumblr_mp6y4gGdBc1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

It still would be nice if some of the furniture like counters and such would have neo angles or could fit on diagonal angles.
  • SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited June 2013
    @Suceress That's pretty cool! I'd be glad to check it out :D

Also, regardless of the size of the shower, I think quite a few builders would be itching to get their hands on a shower of that style! You might be able to pull it off with the public shower since it's free standing and allows for more freedom in placement, although all that's missing are glass walls
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I think having more wall options (including glass) and glass doors and such would help to be able to build a corner shower.

Btw, I fixed the url for one of the images. apparently somewhere in the url it had b 008 and the censor must have thought it was trying to spell out a word. That is pretty ridiculous censorship there.

Now when you said "single" bed, did you mean twin or full? I know mattresses come in twin, full, queen, king, and CalKing.
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited July 2013
    Suceress wrote:
    TanyaRubirose, studies were done that showed waste material got on to things even outside of the bathroom so it is pretty much inevitable regardless of where things are placed. Putting the toilet seat down while flushing can help reduce the spread a bit, but you will never eliminate it entirely. Quite frankly, our bodies are carrying that stuff so just a small amount is not going to hurt us. It's in large quantities that it becomes a problem.

I think people are getting a little overly worried about bacteria and the excessive cleaning and germ killing is actually detrimental because people do not develop immunity. Obviously too much exposure is unhealthy, but not enough is unhealthy as well.

Good job handling that ^^

I was voicing the hundreds of complaints you'll get in the future ;)
    edited July 2013
    Suceress wrote:

Good job handling that ^^

I was voicing the hundreds of complaints you'll get in the future ;)

LOL. Well played. I'm sure there will be some complaints, but then, a lot of the things in game don't really make sense for real life situations. :-) One of the nice things is not having to worry about plumbing codes in terms of widths or having to worry about how the pipes would hook up or having the vent pipes. Because really, if you look at plumbing codes, each fixture needs to be vented to keep the air pressure equalized and there is a specific order in which they have to be vented. There are also rules such as the vent must remain vertical for a minimum of 6" above the flood level of the highest fixture attached to it and the size of the vent (depending on which plumbing code is applied) also depends on the number of fixtures or the type of fixture (or combination of both). If we had to worry about that when designing our Sim homes that would be a total pain.

I do think that the washing machine on top of a toilet is a bad idea though. My brother mimicked what would happen if the toilet lid was up and stuff being taken out fell into it (obviously that is more reason to close the lid-- but some might forget). He went on for about 5 minutes straight in a rather entertaining rant. Plus washing machines vibrate/shake and that is NOT good for toilets. That can break the wax seal (for those who have never installed a toilet or that don't know how things work, there is a toilet flange on the floor and to bridge the gap from the toilet opening to the flange and allow waste to pass through, there is a wax ring with a bit of plastic that seals them together. Too much movement can cause the seal to break. Too much vibration is also not great for the porcelain. It could conceivably cause it to crack.

edited July 2013
    A couple more ideas:

Neo-angle counters and cabinets that give a tapered look to the ends of counters.
    tumblr_mpjl2o7piW1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

Narrow counters. I mentioned this earlier. If you want to have a counter that is only half the width for smaller areas, this would be a nice solution.
    tumblr_mpjm90cmFj1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

I don't have pictures, but half-tile sinks and such would be nice for something like that.
  • tomarixhazumutomarixhazumu Posts: 82 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I have some cc half tile counters and a sink, so it is doable. They'd have to make sure there is a difference between half and nearly full tile surfaces though, or still, routing issues. I'd also like to be able to build a shower, without it being treted as a separate room. I really like the use of the half wall next to the toilet.

Even though the washer/toilet combo is scrapped, it'd still be great to have the washer dryer stack combo.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited July 2013
    :D I was hoping that someone would repost the pics of the microwave above the stove combo. I have seen others in the store forum especially asking for this and for combo washer/dryers. But, I haven't seen the corner sinks/toilets. I wouldn't mind a save space set at all. Perhaps even a bed outside = hammock to save space. :P

I also liked the large walkin/sit down shower.
    edited July 2013
    tomarixhazumu, I believe Morphead on MTS did the half-tile counters, but in addition to being half width, they were half depth. I believe the footprint and bounding box would have to be adjusted to prevent routing issues. I'm guessing small objects can have smaller footprints. I know that end tables can snap to move closer to beds and chairs can snap to move closer to tables, so it would be nice if the narrow counters could snap to other counters.

I actually have a whole thread about laundry items that listed the stacking washer/dryer combos.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/226129.page

Davina1221, do you mean like this picture?
    tumblr_lnsx8jQph81qhfuqwo1_500.jpg
    I had that in my thread about hanging microwaves and other kitchen items http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/403167.page

The walk-in shower with the seat was pretty cool.

It would be nice if Sims could sleep on piles of leaves, futons on the ground, or hammocks.

I will be very happy if they come out with front-load dryers. They pretty much just have to use the same animation for loading/unloading as for the dryer. For the pouring in soap part they could have a compartment that comes out and they can use the pouring motion from cooking.
    edited July 2013
    bump

Also, I found out that the toilet sink combos are apparently not approved in the US. But that doesn't mean they can't exist in Sims 3 or Sims 4.

Also, how about some corner showers that can be entered diagonally? Like this CC one from modthesims
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=502408
    edited May 2014
    I just discovered the existence of corner refrigerators. A company called Norcool apparently makes some.

Stainless Steel:
    tumblr_n5ir05i99q1qku51so1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n5ipumoSws1qku51so1_400.jpg

Integrated into cabinets with wood covering:
    tumblr_n5ipwkVAbh1qku51so1_400.jpg
    tumblr_n5iq2rX7ZD1qku51so1_500.jpg
    Just throwing this out there for Sims 4 ideas.
  • SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    The All-in-One bathroom was one of my favorite pieces of furniture in 3.
    I don't recall the all-in-one bathroom from Sims 3...
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Suceress wrote: »
    I don't recall the all-in-one bathroom from Sims 3...

I believe it came with one of the expansions.