Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SOLVED: Cannot open Edit in Game, not a version mismatch issue

Comments

• aminovasaminovas Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited August 2013
    that sneaky malware! it gets past everything :?
    I'll keep checking in... thanks for the update, good luck :)
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited August 2013
    aminovas wrote:
    that sneaky malware! it gets past everything :?
    I'll keep checking in... thanks for the update, good luck :)
    Hi Aminovas :) Just wanted to check in with you & give you an update on the situation. I posted the problem in Origin Forums & they said they would open a ticket & look into it. Keeping my fingers crossed because otherwise I won't be able to use CAW. Thanks for everything you did to help me :)
    Here's the link for the Origin posting
    http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9651591.page

edited August 2013
    Thanks for letting me know! I really hope they can help. If you do solve it, I'd appreciate if you let us know! I wonder if there are threads on this over at tech support, given that people have this problem for things other than CAW/EIG..
    Good luck!!
    edited August 2013
    aminovas wrote:
    Thanks for letting me know! I really hope they can help. If you do solve it, I'd appreciate if you let us know! I wonder if there are threads on this over at tech support, given that people have this problem for things other than CAW/EIG..
    Good luck!!
    I'll let you know as long as they let me know :)
    You remind me I posted in the technical assistance forum too.
    Got to check that thread forgot all about it !
    edited August 2013
    faytheful wrote:
    aminovas wrote:
    ETA : A few more things I've tried: I un-installed CAW & Origin.
    Then I re-installed CAW (left Origin off machine)
    Tried to EIG through CAW, didn't work.
    I then re-installed Origin onto my machine.
    Then I went to the Origin panel & unclicked enable Origin in game
    (Application Settings > Origin in Game)
    Origin didn't open but the Launcher did, & I had to interact with the Launcher for the game to load.
    When the game loaded, it was as if I was about to play a game (it didn't just open the world in CAW like it has done in the past)
    This tells me that CAW no longer points to the right file to open the game especially since they've changed the Launcher/Origin software either with the patch or by updating it via programming.
    I will look up the .bat file strategy. Ty for all your help.
    I was just reading back through your posts and I am certain, after these steps you took to get around origin, you are dealing with exactly the same problem that I am, and you need a different version of the base game, a pre-Showtime non-"go social" version.

ETA: I can't post in your ticket thread on EA, but this is what I posted on your other thread. It might be helpful to very clearly pass on this info (cut and paste this if you like) on your ticket thread with EA: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9651591.page

Just to be clear for anyone reading this: there are TWO different versions of the base game available for direct download from origin. One works with Edit in Game and one does not (the post-Showtime Go-Social version). The Go-Social version opens up the Launcher instead of the loading the game, and thus does not permit Edit in Game to work.

The solution would be for Origin to allow those with a license for the later base game to download the earlier version of the base game instead. We have paid for a license to the base game and should be able to do this. The post-Showtime version opens up the launcher instead of the game, and if you have your requirements set to make you sign into origin, it will ask you to do so. You can change your preferences in Origin to by-pass the Origin sign-on screen, but that does not not solve the problem of EIG getting stuck at the launcher.

I repeat, the solution would be for Origin to allow those with a license for the later version of the base game to download the original version.
  • BubbyBoopieBubbyBoopie Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Hello all,
    I know this is an old thread, but I am having major problems and figured maybe someone would know the answer. I have the old base game on disk (my expansions are on disks too), so I know that this problem I'm having has nothing to do with my base game. I can't open in EIG, and I also tried to play it in the game and once it starts to load the game it crashes. I've removed DCCache folders and custom content, etc. and it doesn't work still. I already fixed the version mismatch problem from the moment I downloaded it and tried to run it. I think I've looked an every page under the sun about this topic and the frustration level really sucks. :cry: I don't know what else could be going wrong other than it just doesn't work at all. I figured I'm not the only one that is still having this problem, but do you think it has to do with I don't have the most recent expansions? I have Supernatural at top, with a few missing in between like Showtime and the stuff packs.
    I would love to get my custom town up and working. :-)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited November 2013
    Hi!
    Just to clarify: is it crashing when the game is loading or when the world is loading? If the game starts loading, you don't need to worry about it being a version mismatch issue, origin, or game version issue. If it is crashing as the game loads, does it crash when you open up the sims just to play? If it is crashing when the world is loading (after the game has loaded... when opening EIG it will have the screen "Welcome to ____World") then I would suspect some kind of corruption in the world itself. I've had this happen before and I solved it by deleting lots, starting from the most recent, until the game loads.
    I would recommend following the suggestions you can find in the CAW troubleshooting links. Good luck and report back!
  • missmordorablemissmordorable Posts: 3 New Member
    edited November 2013
    Hellooo! I don't know if anyone is still on this thread...? But here goes:

I can't find a 2009 license of the base game. I've checked Origin and all that's available now are bundles and the "Go Social" version. I've also checked Amazon, Walmart, and Gamestop. Does anyone know where I can find a copy? I really want to finish up the world I'm working on, but I can't open EIG. :(

Thank you in advance!
    edited November 2013
    The only version I've been able to find is the Deluxe version on Amazon. Will that work with CAW's EIG?
    edited November 2013
    Hi! Sorry I missed your message earlier. I have no idea about that Amazon version.

I do know for sure you can pic up 2009-era base game discs, new and unopened, on ebay.
    edited November 2013
    That's okay, no biggie! I appreciate your help!

In case anyone else is looking for it, I found the pre-Showtime version on Steam; I was apprehensive to try it because I have heard nothing but bad things about Steam, but I had no issue at all and now EIG works!
  • animetiger7animetiger7 Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    after spending all day going back to EA help chat advisor trying out different solutions
    such as deleting caches, uninstalling and reinstalling both the base game and the create a world tool, manually patching the sims, and several other things. also was informed EA doesnt have the Sims without Go Social anymore. pretty irritated. also got a 15% discount code from one of the EA advisors which I probably wont use. I'm assuming the only legitimate fix for the create a world edit in game problem is to buy the sims without the Go Social feature on eBay or Amazon or somewhere. :x also are the ones with steam compatible with the ones on origin?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2014
    Last I heard us Steam Version all have to be changed to Origin Versions. They say CAW won't run on Steam at all - but that was a while back I heard that.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• babyXchainsawbabyXchainsaw Posts: 19 New Member
    edited January 2014
    i just downloaded CAW today. was so excited to play with my world! but then I clicked on EIG, and my origin game library popped up. please help! I have the "go social" version, but I can't buy another game because mum would get really mad if I told her I need another copy of the same game just to create a world. is there any way to get around buying another copy, I'm going to try the batch thing.
  • CatTom6CatTom6 Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    I have the same problem, but I don't know how to say this:
    When I click "Edit in Game" and click Yes, The Render Panel Goes blue, then It goes to my world again! :evil: So please someone Fix This! :(
    edited March 2014
    I'm sorry for all the frustrations everyone is having with this :( I'd be so excited if someone came in here with a strategy for getting around these issues that didn't involve getting a different license.

Please note: If you are getting stuck on the LAUNCHER, then I believe this is when you need to have the earlier version of the base game. If you are getting the stuck loading, or at the Origin login screen or other Origin menus, then that is a different issue (you may still run into the getting-stuck-at-the-Launcher issue later). Don't forget to run through the other suggestions for fixing this issue, looking at version matching, reinstalling origin and setting the preferences to not sign you on automatically, checking your system is clean of malware and making sure the registry is correct, etc.

You can find old, unopened versions of the base game on ebay and likely elsewhere. I found one asking around with my neighbors. Unless it has changed in the last three months (the time since my last reinstall), the 2009 codes will still get you a slightly different version of the base game when registered on Origin.

Good luck everyone and don't forget to report back if you have success, whatever strategy you use :)
  • Lucario403Lucario403 Posts: 4
    edited April 2014
    I have the problem where the render panel turns blue and then returns to normal this only seems to happen to people who have bought the game recently
  • ClisairClisair Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2014
    EIG doesn't work for me either. I have all the DISKs with only one digital stuff pack. I have the window turns blue and then nothing. It will not load EIG. I have tried the batch file and it gets stuck forever at the last tiny bit of the load. I even tried waiting 8 hours to see if it would load.

Is there any solution or do I never get to actually finish the world that I have been working on?
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 162 Member
    edited July 2014
    I finally got an old version of Sims 3 base game from Amazon. I am trying to sell the new version. Anyhow, at last I can use CAW and also play the game without it always opening Origin. I saved my Save games etc by just changing the name of the folder in my Documents. Everything works and my saved games are fine and all my sims. Origin drove me mad.
  • Pugslover4Pugslover4 Posts: 2,849 Member
    edited July 2014
    Why do I need to buy the original base game first before using caws????? I have read all the instruction on how to do this......and still isn't working. Just blue and sent to origins. I guess I won't be able to play Caws again....don't know why they bother with the Sims 4 when they can't seem to get this one to work. Cuz I want a flat world and plenty of room for venue and rabbit holes and so forth. And water in the middle of the world with large world. I guess all the instruction on here is confused especially me being deaf with disablitly learning.
    9cac0e69-be99-4238-b1c8-e9ef2f5d7718_zps38d42068.jpg
    I owned the store! Yahoo!
    hi everyone, sorry to revive an old thread but this issue is still not solved.
    I really believe my problem stems from an issue with Origin & CAW programming where CAW is set to point to a file in Origin to open the game. I got an older version of Origin & installed it onto my system that was having problems but that didn't work either.
    What I've resorted to doing is using an older system with the last game Seasons installed with CAW.
    The version of Origin after Seasons seems to be the problem. If that is the case its on Origin.
    Just wanted to let everyone know who may still be having problems.
    I don't have the "go social" version of basegame Sims 3, I downloaded my base game directly from Origins & its not the "go social" one.
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited October 2015
    If you downloaded your base game from Origin, wouldn't it be tied to Origin the same as the disk "Go social" one? Did you recently re-download and install the base game from Origin?
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • pinkblack1pinkblack1 Posts: 2 New Member
    I was haveing the same problem . I couldn't edit in game without it crashing. So without deleting my caw tool. I installed it again and it up dated. Then in sims 3 game base I deleted dccache. First saved it to file. Worked for me hope it helps.
  • nycbiglnycbigl Posts: 18 Member
    For the first time in my life I was able to upgrade to a desktop computer with a current OS. My Sims 3 game works better than it ever has before with the exception of some bugs I already knew about with the Island Paradise expansion pack. But I decided I could live with that. <3 I did decide to finally try out the Create A World tool that I was never able to download into my old laptop before. I was so looking forward to making a world based on the Burning Man festival that is held once a year in the Black Rock desert in Nevada, USA. I spent days building the mountains. I made dirt roads that lead to the desert area where the festival and campsite were to be. I made lots for residential and communities, making sure they were the sizes I needed for the buildings that I hope to put on them. I filled the mountain with trees and spawners and made hiking trails for my sims to jog on. And I did all of the terrain painting I wanted for my desert city. But when I was finally ready to do "Edit in World" it wouldn't work. It did exactly what everyone has been complaining about in this forum. It starts just like it would if I were to start playing the game but then nothing happens. I'm still in CAW.
    I also have the digital version of the game due to the fact that my disks version doesn't seem to work anymore. I don't want to uninstall and reinstall everything again. It takes ALL day for me to do that being that I have all of the expansion packs, some stuff packs and a lot of Sims 3 store content as well as some custom contents.
    I am baffled as to why did this problem never got fixed by EA. It's 2018 now and this thread goes back to 2013. I have also seen other threads that go even further back than this one.
    Is there anyway I can fixed this without having to uninstall everything and asking EA for a different version? If there is no fix for this then what is the point in still offering it on their website? Why offer us something that no longer works with the way they have things set up now? I'm so confused. :/
    If anyone sees and answers I THANK YOU so very much. :) <3 :* If there is no way of solving than I guess I am going to have to just give up at creating something I was so looking forward to playing with. Something the Sims might not have ever thought of before like creating an art and music festival where you would have to camp like Burning Man here in the U.S. or the Glastonbury Festival in England. B)
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    edited September 2018
    Wall of text - hard to read.

Edit in CaW broke when patch 1.69 was released. Read the info here - maybe it will help? http://modthesims.info/t/441595 or try some of the suggestions above.

I tend to work all but lots in CAW then once the world is exported I work on the lots. It's the only way I can work with the program.

Not sure how this forum works but maybe you should start your own thread as the title says "solved" and it's about 5 years old.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top