Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*Laptop* Graphics Card Information Zone [CALLING LAPTOP SIMMERS FOR A SURVEY + LAPTOP HELP HERE]

Comments

• kirstenwilsonkirstenwilson Posts: 1 New Member
    I know I'm late coming to the game lol. I haven't played my sims 3 game in a few years because I haven't had my own computer. Now I'm looking to buy my first laptop since the one I had in college and will probably only play Sims 3. I'd like to play with the settings on medium-high and I don't like lag. I've been looking at the dell Inspiron 15 7567, Intel core i-5 7300HQ, 8 GB DDR4 RAM, nvidia geforce gtx 1050, 1 TB HDD + 8 GB hybrid hard drive (5400 rpm), 2.5 MHz starting out. This goes for $800. I don't want to get more power than what I intend to play with, though. Can you tell me if this is too much? Thank you!!
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Sorry avoid the cheap computers for gaming, and stay away from anything that says hybrid, all that it means is it is a solid state and mechanical drive in on, just means twice as munch can go wrong, games hate running on hard drives that are 5400rpms mine are in the 7400rpm, pick either the solid state drives or the mechanical drive, but no hybrid drive, also The Sims 3 needs at least 4GB of memory and most operating systems use 3.5GB of memory to run there os installation, please stay away from anything that does not have a supported monitor or tv, which is the best way to know if the laptop is game worthy. Also avoid Acer monitors and Dal monitors, they are cheap, avoid the back to school sale, they are there to sale you any computer they can and the one they want to sale you at that time are mostly trash.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • laurenpklaurenpk Posts: 77 Member
    Hi! I haven't earned the right to start new threads yet so hopefully someone will see this here (I will post in one or two other relevant posts just in case), but I solely play Sims 3 and am looking to buy a new laptop. Is this a good option: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-1tb-8gb-hybrid-hard-drive-red/5744102.p?skuId=5744102

In case you cannot open here are the specs:
    Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 1TB + 8GB Hybrid Hard Drive - Red

Key Specs
    Hard Drive Capacity1008 gigabytes
    Hard Drive Type Other
    Operating System Windows 10
    Processor Model Intel 7th Generation Core i5
    System Memory (RAM) 8 gigabytes
    Graphics CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Screen Size 5.6 inches
    Touch Screen No
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    laurenpk wrote: »
    Hi! I haven't earned the right to start new threads yet so hopefully someone will see this here (I will post in one or two other relevant posts just in case), but I solely play Sims 3 and am looking to buy a new laptop. Is this a good option: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-1tb-8gb-hybrid-hard-drive-red/5744102.p?skuId=5744102

Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 1TB + 8GB Hybrid Hard Drive - Red

Key Specs
    Hard Drive Type Other
    Screen Size 5.6 inches
    Touch Screen No

This would be a better choice. Has a better processor and better cooling. Clevo makes a good gaming laptop https://www.amazon.com/N855HJ-1920x1080-i7-7700HQ-Bluetooth-Warranty/dp/B01N4Q9C9J/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500568877&sr=8-4&keywords=clevo+laptop
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    laurenpk wrote: »

Key Specs
    Hard Drive Type Other
    Screen Size 5.6 inches
    Touch Screen No
    Responded to the same inquiry over here. :)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15909749/#Comment_15909749
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • laurenpklaurenpk Posts: 77 Member
    @igazor @phoebebebe13 that looks great! thank you for your help guys :smile: sorry again about the double post. I will not do in the future!!
    @laurenpk your very welcome
  • CheeseheadCheesehead Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi!

I'm new here and I don't know if anyone checks here anymore, since TS4 has come out and stuff, but I have some serious trouble with my favourite game. I recently got an update from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 with a factory reset on my laptop. Before the factory reset, I had TS3 with 4 expension packs (World Adventures, Late Night, Generations and Seasons), working perfectly.

Now, after the factory reset I had a lot of trouble reinstalling the game. I got new expensionpacks that I wanted to try out, but bad luck. EP Ambitions didn't work at all. In my next round of installing all, I switched out Seasons for Showtime (and installed all in the correct order). But this time, I get a message saying my graphics card cannot be found.

I have an Intel Graphic Card 4000, which working perfectly before. I looked around for solutions, and most of the solutions involve the "DeviceConfig.log"-file. However, mine is completely empty. The "fixes" that were proposed for this (deleting the file or map) didn't work, unfortunately.

I really liked playing this game before, and I would really like to play it again. I do not understand what (the hell) is wrong with my laptop.

Ps. Yes, I installed the latest drivers for my graphics card.
    Pps. Sorry if the Engelish isn't completely correct, it is only my second language.
    Cheesehead wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm new here and I don't know if anyone checks here anymore, since TS4 has come out and stuff...
    (Shudders. Starts to make a completely inappropriate response. Goes to take a walk, feels better now. Let's start again.) :p

Hi there. Plenty of us are still playing TS3 and will do so for a very long time. The Tech Issues boards over here are not the hotbed of activity they once were, but we're still around. TS3 General Discussions still gets lots of traffic.

A few things worth mentioning. First of all Intel 4000 is not a dedicated graphics card. It is an integrated chip. Dedicated cards are made by Nvidia and AMD. There is only so far one can take the game on integrated and some combinations of EPs will just not work at all on it. I understand that this same computer ran the game for you on Windows 8.1, but it could be that the Win 10 and Intel chip combo is not going to do it for you. Not all computers are really designed to work well with Win 10 generally. More about that in a minute.

The reason you have an empty DeviceConfig.log is that the game is refusing to startup. The log gets generated as the game starts up successfully.

There is no required install order for TS3 EPs.

Okay, now let's learn more about this computer of yours. If you could, please run a dxdiag report and either copy/paste the results into multiple responses here (it will take several as the report is too long to fit into one) or use pastebin.com and provide us with a broken up link that we can understand and use to view the report.
    How to run a dxdiag: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

There could be something simple that's gone wrong here that the report will help us find. Or it could be that your computer is just not meant to be running Win 10 or something went wrong with the upgrade, but we don't really have enough information to work with yet.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor i think 4000 can support windows 10. Ask @cale2003 . I believe he had a 4000 card. 3000 I know can't support windows 10
    edited August 2017
    @igazor i think 4000 can support windows 10. Ask @cale2003 . I believe he had a 4000 card. 3000 I know can't support windows 10
    Yes, but I was hoping to get more of the full picture. Could be an inappropriate driver update along the way (you are able to spot and help out with these more than almost anyone here), not enough RAM, drive space, etc. Aren't there other assorted factors that render a computer unsuitable to run Win 10?

I know mine can't be upgraded but the reason is more unusual because of the whole Mac Bootcamp drivers and the my model is one month (or something) too old to be supported stuff. Those who have tried (on my model) have ended up with non-working graphics and sound cards. The game must be a little difficult to play if you can't see or hear anything. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    I had a 2500 card before and not a 4000, but my 2500 ran it just fine so the 4000 will work fine as they both support DX 11 if thats the problem with the 3000 not supporting Windows 10 as AFAIK its only 10.1
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    edited August 2017
    i know this topic is old but i feel like contributing with it.

1. What is you graphics card (and amount of memory, if integrated, please mention)? AMD Radeon R7 M440 4gb
    2. What expansion packs do you have installed? all
    3. What stuff packs do you have installed? all
    4. What mods do you have installed? almost every nraas mods, i also really liked awesomemod but it made my game crash
    5. How much store & custom content do you have installed (please right-click Mods folder, Properties, and look at the total size)? 1,83gb in packages folder and 9gb in downloads folder
    6. What is the FPS (please type in "fps on" in the game cheat console to find an average number on the top right corner)? 30-40fps
    7. Please post a screenshot of your game settings (use print screen key during gameplay then paste into Paint). JHHSdYD.png

8. In game screen shots are welcome!
    nGfpjB2.jpg
    CJqanNE.jpg
    hmxBnXz.jpg
    edited August 2017
    igazor wrote: »
    Yes, but I was hoping to get more of the full picture. Could be an inappropriate driver update along the way (you are able to spot and help out with these more than almost anyone here), not enough RAM, drive space, etc. Aren't there other assorted factors that render a computer unsuitable to run Win 10?

I know mine can't be upgraded but the reason is more unusual because of the whole Mac Bootcamp drivers and the my model is one month (or something) too old to be supported stuff. Those who have tried (on my model) have ended up with non-working graphics and sound cards. The game must be a little difficult to play if you can't see or hear anything. ;)

I agree on getting more info but Windows 10 as Cale mentioned is compatible with the intel 4000 card. Now whether upgrading to windows 10 rather than staying at 8.1 has caused this laptop more of a problem, thats possible.

If the computer had 8.1 to begin with the computer hardware should be compatible with windows 10 . If the computer was installed originally with windows 8 (not 8.1) or below , i would question if the hardware could handle winnows 10
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    edited August 2017

I agree on getting more info but Windows 10 as Cale mentioned is compatible with the intel 4000 card. Now whether upgrading to windows 10 rather than staying at 8.1 has caused this laptop more of a problem, thats possible.

If the computer had 8.1 to begin with the computer hardware should be compatible with windows 10 . If the computer was installed originally with windows 8 (not 8.1) or below , i would question if the hardware could handle winnows 10

Thats a good possibility, my games ran better on my old PC when I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 but that was most likely because I went from a driver from 2012 to a driver from 2015 which was at the time brand new.

My old laptop also came with 8 originally and it did honestly seem like it was struggling to handle Windows 10 at a lot of parts, upgrading the RAM didn't hurt but only helped the experience marginally, dont think Windows 10 works on 4GB well at all (I remember running with less than 100mb of RAM free at times on some games) and even at idle it was around 40% total usage.
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
    cale2003 wrote: »

Thats a good possibility, my games ran better on my old PC when I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 but that was most likely because I went from a driver from 2012 to a driver from 2015 which was at the time brand new.

My old laptop also came with 8 originally and it did honestly seem like it was struggling to handle Windows 10 at a lot of parts, upgrading the RAM didn't hurt but only helped the experience marginally, dont think Windows 10 works on 4GB well at all (I remember running with less than 100mb of RAM free at times on some games) and even at idle it was around 40% total usage.

windows 8 and 10 really need more computer ram than having windows 7 or below. If you upgraded your laptop from 8 to 8.1 and then again upgraded to 10 might cause more issues. Laptops are more fragile than desktop. Having to upgrade your windows a few times is not a good idea. I put a blocker on my computers to stop windows 10 from installing
    > Okay, now let's learn more about this computer of yours. If you could, please run a dxdiag report and either copy/paste the results into multiple responses here (it will take several as the report is too long to fit into one) or use pastebin.com and provide us with a broken up link that we can understand and use to view the report.
    > How to run a dxdiag: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information
    >

Hi! Thank you so much for wanting to help me! I really appreciate it! I have no experience with pastebin, but here's the link (if this is how it works): https://pastebin.com/1iHsxBfF

If that is not how it works, here is the first part of the DxDiag (some things may be in Dutch):
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 8/15/2017, 19:42:21
    Machine name: DESKTOP-T39LCC0
    Machine Id: {982D037D-3F98-4B23-818F-1F76D0CEF672}
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
    Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP 15 Notebook PC
    BIOS: F.23
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3992MB RAM
    Page File: 2852MB used, 3152MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.15063.0000 64bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_226E103C&REV_09
    Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
    Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 1792 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
    Shared Memory: 1760 MB
    Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: unknown
    Monitor Id: CMN15AB
    Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.026Hz)
    Output Type: Internal
    Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll
    Driver File Version: 10.18.0010.4653 (English)
    Driver Version: 10.18.10.4653
    DDI Version: 11.2
    Feature Levels: 11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.3
    Graphics Preemption: DMA
    Compute Preemption: Thread group
    Miracast: Not Supported by WiFi driver
    Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
    Power P-states: Not Supported
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 7-4-2017 02:00:00, 11158160 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
    Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4226-11CF-A161-6402B4C2C735}
    Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Device ID: 0x0166
    SubSys ID: 0x226E103C
    Revision ID: 0x0009
    Driver Strong Name: oem26.inf:5f63e5341859ec8c:iIVBM_w10:10.18.10.4653:pci\ven_8086&dev_0166
    Rank Of Driver: 00D12001
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_C
    DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeVC1_D2010 DXVA2_ModeWMV9_IDCT DXVA2_ModeVC1_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT
    edited August 2017
    @Cheesehead - The Dutch bits are not a problem. What I am seeing on the full report is a 1.8 GHz i3 U-series processor and 4 GB of RAM with yes, Intel 4000 for graphics. Whether pushing Win 10 onto this laptop was a good idea or not I will leave to the others here, seems like it would be a borderline case to me.

And I don't know why the game suddenly doesn't recognize your graphics chip. You cannot get past the warning message and get the game started up at all?

Honestly though, on either version of Windows, I wouldn't expect this laptop to be able to carry much more than the base game very well or for very long. I'm afraid to say that you were very fortunate to get and keep it running with those EPs when you were on Win 8.1. On that processor, most players would find that the game would just refuse to launch or take them to a never-ending black screen with LateNite or any of the EPs that came along after it; it's just not powerful or fast enough to keep up with the instructions that the game would be rapidly throwing at it again, just to get launched.

Is this the strongest or only computer you have within reach to be playing on?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @Cheesehead - The Dutch bits are not a problem. What I am seeing on the full report is a 1.8 GHz i3 U-series processor and 4 GB of RAM with yes, Intel 4000 for graphics. Whether pushing Win 10 onto this laptop was a good idea or not I will leave to the others here, seems like it would be a borderline case to me.

And I don't know why the game suddenly doesn't recognize your graphics chip. You cannot get past the warning message and get the game started up at all?

Honestly though, on either version of Windows, I wouldn't expect this laptop to be able to carry much more than the base game very well or for very long. I'm afraid to say that you were very fortunate to get and keep it running with those EPs when you were on Win 8.1. On that processor, most players would find that the game would just refuse to launch or take them to a never-ending black screen with LateNite or any of the EPs that came along after it; it's just not powerful or fast enough to keep up with the instructions that the game would be rapidly throwing at it again, just to get launched.

Is this the strongest or only computer you have within reach to be playing on?

I have to agree with @igazor about computer specs.

If they could somehow run the game before on windows 8.1 , windows 10 might have made the situation worse. I don't know if going back to windows 8.1 would change things. The only way to do that is if they have a recovery disc
    @igazor Thank you for your reply. I do get past the warning, but when I start up a game/village/town, everything is just grey an blotchy except for the water.

This is the only laptop I have to play on, so this is really unfortunate news :(
  • HarryhakaHarryhaka Posts: 8 New Member
    I hope this thread is still alive but I'm gonna try.

Right now I have a super crappy mac NEED to buy a new one, I was thinking the HP Pavilion 15-cs0803no

Cpu: Intel Core i3 with 2.2 ghz, 2 cores and 4 mb cache
    Standard Memory: 4 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
    Video Graphics: Intel® UHD Graphics 620

Since there's a problem with my mac I cannot start sims 3, but I remember playing with low quality bc of lags. My budget i around 900 us dollars, but I can save up more money until January. I'm mostly playing ts3,4 and minecraft, and I'm from sweden. I hope I'm not bothering anyone! :)
    > @Harryhaka said:

> Right now I have a super plum mac NEED to buy a new one, I was thinking the HP Pavilion 15-cs0803no

Typos.... What I meant to write is:

Right now I have a super crappy mac and I NEED to buy a new one
    Harryhaka wrote: »
    I hope this thread is still alive but I'm gonna try.

Right now I have a super plum mac NEED to buy a new one, I was thinking the HP Pavilion 15-cs0803no

Cpu: Intel Core i3 with 2.2 ghz, 2 cores and 4 mb cache
    Standard Memory: 4 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
    Video Graphics: Intel® UHD Graphics 620

Since there's a problem with my mac I cannot start sims 3, but I remember playing with low quality bc of lags. My budget i around 900 us dollars, but I can save up more money until January. I'm mostly playing ts3,4 and minecraft, and I'm from sweden.
    Hi there.

The game should run on that laptop, but how well and how far you can take it will vary by player. If the goal is to play all 11 EPs (or the heaviest hitting ones, those would be Pets, Seasons, ITF, and IP) and on better than low quality graphics settings, this one misses the mark in a number of ways.

Processor: Laptops require a quad core or higher i5 or better running at least at 2.4 GHz and not from the lowest powered U-series. Some of the newest i3s will suffice, but without more info to go on this one doesn't sound like it could handle everything.

RAM: At least 6 GB, but at least 8 GB would be better. The game itself cannot use any more than 4 GB, but Windows requires a big part of that for iteself thus at 4 GB total leaving not enough for the game when it calls for more. More than 8 GB would allow other programs like web browsers (up to a point) run alongside of the game more smoothly.

Graphics Card: A dedicated graphics card is practically required for the heavy hitting EPs listed above. Integrated Intel graphics have improved over the years and the Intel 620 is new(er), but still integrated and limiting. For a current laptop, one should be looking for Nvidia 1050 mobile or higher (1060, etc.) or the AMD Radeon equivalents; the also new but lower-end Nvidia MX130s and 150s should be avoided.

Afraid I can't help select a laptop directly in Sweden or see what prices are currently like there right now, but perhaps the above gives you an idea of the range you should be looking into, if it's reachable?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Hello again.
    I've been looking for the specifications you mentioned, and I think I found a reasonable laptop, the HP Gaming Pavilion - 15-cx0812no

Since i can't post links yet here is some short info, directly copied from hp support us.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-8300H (2.3 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)

RAM: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)

Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

Now, I only own Ambitions, Seasons, IP and UL, can the processor handle this?

The laptop costs about 1020 usd, and that is as far as my budget goes. Of course I can earn more money to afford a better computer, but the situation is dire because I haven't played ts3 for almost a year and I can't stand waiting much longer :s
    edited September 2018
    @Harryhaka - A laptop with those specs should run the entire game. I would be unhappy with the stock 256 GB drive though, the game won't mind and it is a Solid State Drive (SSD) which is great for TS3, but as not much time passes it will likely run out of drive space on you unless you constantly shift things like saved games and downloaded content over to external storage of some kind.

I also have to ask if HP is the best you can do, there might be better laptops available within that price range. If you can wait a little, you might benefit from a second opinion.

Paging @chesterbigbird - Player is in Sweden. Any guidance, or suggestions for someone who can provide, if you have the chance?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!