Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4: More realistic sims ?

Hi,

The most of games got more realistic characters than earlier, do you want the same thing in The Sims 4 ?

n7hood11.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Urosh1994Urosh1994 Posts: 2,425 Member
    edited September 2012
    I think Sims themselves will be more detailed, but clothing - not.

In such games, they only wear premade outfits that can shrink, move, clutter, pull etc. - just act realistic.

In Sims you have tons of different outfits and to do such mashing for each of it is a bit too much.

BUT, for Sims themselves, skintone, hairstyles, textures... YES. Much more realistic. Sims 3 made an advancement, but skintone texture is equal to Barbie's.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited September 2012
    The others games got several facial skins, it's good because the face sliders are not enough in order to do a good visual result.

The shadows got an important visual effect on the shape of the face.
  • Options
    albertwhiskeralbertwhisker Posts: 596 New Member
    edited September 2012
    I would like the sims in sims 4 to be more realistic but we have members here who said they want their sims to be cartoony. I think EA can satisfy both sides if CAS will be better because sims 3 CAS is frustrating. People who wanted to have realistic sims in sims 3 have to download those mods and its frustrating.

Then everytime there is a mod to help us, EA will block them with their patches.

Maybe sims 4 must have 2 types of worlds, The realistic world where sims looks realistic and the cartoony world for the pudding lovers.
  • Options
    jeanamariex3jeanamariex3 Posts: 1,274
    edited September 2012
    I prefer the pudding look, that is a bit cartoony. I like a few bits of CC, but I don't like the realistic look. It's creepy to me. Sims are supposed to be SIMS.
  • Options
    Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited September 2012
    Realism was never the goal of The Sims. Likely they'll go with a cartoonish look. Hopefully, a better cartoonish look, though.
  • Options
    danivixendanivixen Posts: 4,254 New Member
    edited September 2012
    If The Sims looked like that, I'd be pretty upset, actually. I like the way they look now.
  • Options
    crystal91390crystal91390 Posts: 2,882 New Member
    edited September 2012
    I want super awesome graphics for TS4, but I think the only thing limiting it is the fact that not a lot of people have gaming/super computers.
  • Options
    GazpachoidGazpachoid Posts: 372 Member
    edited September 2012
    yeah, they really need to improve if they're going to release TS4. the sims from TS3 are still a bit too cartoony looking. they need to really work on making them more realistic, including the clothes. afterall, it's a life simulation game where all you do is eat, ****, work, sleep, woohoo..... i'd expect The Sims to have better character graphics than other games since it's mostly based on life simulation and nothing more..... for example, the new games like MGS Ground Zeroes, Uncharted, and The Last Of Us... they all looks sick!!! i just get disappointed when i notice that they're character graphics (and enviromental) are like 4x better than TS3 graphics... and those games of course include action/shooting gameplay with awesome cutscenes.... it's really disappointing how all The Sims needs to be is realistic graphics.... and TS3 still feels like TS2 graphics except with a lot of bugs... :(
  • Options
    damong63damong63 Posts: 540 Member
    edited September 2012
    My answer to the OP is yes. Sometimes the sims and their worlds look a little garish and lurid for my tastes. Most likely Sims 4 won't be much different since the slightly cartoony look seems to be part of the brand.
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited September 2012
    Hi,

The most of games got more realistic characters than earlier, do you want the same thing in The Sims 4 ?

n7hood11.jpg

LeGardePourpre,

I would love that, except for the fact that the more detailed they are, the fewer of them, you will be able to have on the screen at one time without frame rate issues. Hopefully the least powerful computer running the Sims 4 will be powerful enough for both more detailed sims and at least the same number of sims as the average town created by EA. I'm having enough trouble as it is creating worlds that are densely populated enough that they don't feel empty, if I include all the venues from each of the expansion packs. Since the average computer will be more powerful in the next couple of years, maybe we'll be able to have the best of both worlds somehow.
  • Options
    zekrayatzekrayat Posts: 1,855 Member
    edited September 2012
    My own personal opinion is god no, I would haaaate for my Sims to look like that. I know that some people would love it though.

It's worth remembering that a lot of the amazingly animated characters you see in games nowadays have been specially animated - as in, that character is always going to look the same, so they can get tiny details like the curl of the lip when they talk, or the way they breathe, or how far their eyebrows raise down perfectly. The most realistic animation out there currently tends to use motion capture on faces etc. As soon as you make a character super-customisable, you lose the ability to do that because the EA animators don't know what the character is going to look like. So you're going to have amazing looking Sims potentially, but their facial expressions will still be far more generic than the animation you see in video games with a set plot and cut scenes.

Imagine the guy in the OP doing the animations from the Sims - it's going to look a little weird.
  • Options
    abigfan819abigfan819 Posts: 862 New Member
    edited September 2012
    I like them looking cartoony. If they looked that real I probably wouldn't play the game cause that would be over my head creepy.
  • Options
    bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited September 2012
    i want them to look like the sims 2 again.. just a little more smoothed out.
  • Options
    HIPHOPBUNNYjulyHIPHOPBUNNYjuly Posts: 49 New Member
    edited November 2012
    *I'm going to re-post my response from a previous a thread because it seems more relevant here

:!: BEFORE I BEGIN PLEASE WATCH THESE :!:
    I suggest you watch these quick,easy & fun illustrated educational videos to better understand where I'm coming from:
    The Uncanny Valley explains misconceptions, definition,and importance, disadvantages and Advantages--->>See Video Here<
    Graphics vs. Aesthetics discusses the important difference between the often confused "graphics" and "aesthetics."--->>see video here<

Misconceptions of the Uncanny Valley:As a life simulator there is always pressure to deliver realistic styles. the problem being that is that it shows its age based on the technology. Yet current style The EA team chose ironically aged rather quickly in comparison to other life simulation and open world game released in the same generation.Its seems people quickly forgot how they thought the sims 3 default sims looked too"uncanny valley" when the sims 3 first came out and now many people are not only use to them, but some find them not 'realistic enough".They need a better stylized character models that don’t look outdated as fast yet are great on the eyes. As a realistic sim creator , Admittingly I'm a bit bias because I would prefer if the Sims 3 EA team went in a more realistic stylized direction with their characters because it would force them to create far more better quality animations that they desperately need.

An overall Better Aesthetic: Partly why players feel under whelmed is because of the sims 3 poor aesthetics compared to previous installments. An easy way to solve this problem is to build a strong system that allows for moddablity by players to increase he aesthetic & general lifespan of the game. This is especially fitting of the true essence of the sims. The sims 3 is the right direction with its customization system and CAS, but both can be advanced.

For the sims 4 sims, I have certain expectations of the systems in the game that should be in place:

Better Meshes:I’m not expecting extremely higher poly meshes(I do fantasize about using Daz 3d ‘s Victoria & Micheal character morphs) but realistically I am expecting slightly better base model meshes. True 3D. Flash Games & phone Games can already do this and the game engine technologies & techniques have far advanced since the the Sims 3 came out(, where you can make more detailed characters while using lower poly counts than before. EA realizes this because they released the Sims Medival using subsurface scattering which was less taxing on computer systems but more detailed.

layers,movable and custom fit clothing:meshes could be also editable in game. you could choose an assortment of collars, sleeve types and lengths, styles,etc. movable clothes ie. zips and hoods can move up or down, clothes can crumple , sleeves can be rolled up,shirts can be tied,pants can be tucked in. etc.
    to be able to edit hair meshes in game, this also means hair length(part of gradual aging)

To be able to import textures and images directly: Like APB stencil customizationand needsupport in the game engine for real world textures and high rez detail for custom skins, I feel the later is more important even more than the meshes because it allows for better fidelity that players saw with the sims 2.It basically allows for way better custom skin tones based on each players preference.

A pose mode: which allows hands on posing of sim using a mouse. built in osmp,be able to move objects and accessories freely and 360 degrees.

CAS: touch sculpting using mouse. see Eve Online Character Example<
    - to be able to save presets of facial features and have slider preset numbers like the sims 2
    -be able to adjust height
    - more tones of voices,pitches and accents
    -being able to remove CC in game and while game is running , like in the sims 2
    -better child and toddler morphsI think I can speak for most ,when I say the sim 3 toddlers,babies,and children are ugly:P
    - sims 2 or even more advanced genetics
    -Skintone uses a color wheel and can be mixed genetically like sims 2
    -gradual aging before your eyes. Not only have many games can and have done it. there even a mod on MTS that already done for the sims 3. there is no reason why this should not be in the sims 4

Advanced Lighting Engine:to not underestimate the power&importance of good lighting , it goes past being just being able to see what you are doing. it effects the overall feel of the game in its entirety and smart use of lighting can reduce the amount high ploy meshes needed.
    -cinematic/theatrical/dramatic/moody lighting
    -significantly better outdoor lighting to mimick proper sunlight
    -more vast lighting styles and options

Wishful thinking
    -Physics engine: you would be able to windswept hair and movable clothes and fabric. This would apply to sims bodies and other game objects as well. no animations would be the same.(ex euphora)Countless game can do this already and let’s not forget the sims 3 Developers had promised this would be a feature in he sims 3 and falsely advertised as such(in regards to wind blowing trees).Can they do this? Absolutely. Will they do this? I’m not sure. They could make it a graphical option that people could turn off if it’s too taxing for computers...
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    3DJ43DJ4 Posts: 1,125 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I don't really want the Sims to look too realistic. For Sims 4, I would like the Sims to look actually like the Sims in The Sims 3 Commercials, maybe a little bit better. Same for the town.

3548468793_2f950c1d6c.jpg
    sims-3.png
    11330-Sims3CreateSim_super.jpg
    The-Sims-3-Trailer-TV-Commercial_2.jpg
    The-Sims-3-Trailer-TV-Commercial_1.jpg
    21202_medium.jpg
    3548468715_3a6d1e598e.jpg
    132758-sims3.jpg
    330px-The_Sims_3_PC_Games_Clip-Commercial_-_Your_the_Creator.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ4GJavvwPc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmcBIM9i6qI
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited November 2012
    3DJ4 wrote:
    I don't really want the Sims to look too realistic. For Sims 4, I would like the Sims to look actually like the Sims in The Sims 3 Commercials, maybe a little bit better. Same for the town.

You're right ;) , the way could be interesting.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited November 2012
    I like the TS3 sims, but the eyes need much more attention to detail. There is almost no anatomical detail around the eyes nor in iris.

The skin could use just a slight indication of skin texture instead of the smooth clay or plasticine look we have now. Too much texture begins to look creepy, but just the right amount could make them look less doll-like.

We still need more control of facial features in CAS. We have very little control of chin width, no control of jaw angle, and little control of forehead shape. I would like to have more control of brow thickness or at least a thin, med, and thick version of each eyebrow style.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    3DJ4 wrote:

You're right ;) , the way could be interesting.
    Thanks LeGardePourpre :)
  • Options
    LakrossLakross Posts: 1,577 New Member
    edited November 2012
    3DJ4 wrote:

3548468793_2f950c1d6c.jpg
    sims-3.png
    11330-Sims3CreateSim_super.jpg
    The-Sims-3-Trailer-TV-Commercial_2.jpg
    The-Sims-3-Trailer-TV-Commercial_1.jpg
    21202_medium.jpg
    3548468715_3a6d1e598e.jpg
    132758-sims3.jpg
    330px-The_Sims_3_PC_Games_Clip-Commercial_-_Your_the_Creator.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ4GJavvwPc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmcBIM9i6qI

I wish my game was like that. I've been trying.... ;_; Could I at least get streaking and lawnmowers?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Lakross wrote:
    I wish my game was like that. I've been trying.... ;_; Could I at least get streaking and lawnmowers?
    Oh yea... I didn't even notice we don't have lawnmowers. Seems like a good item for Seasons ;) May be a task if you have to do it though, but if the grass stayed the same length now and you could just choose to got out with the lawnmower just because that would be great :D
  • Options
    HIPHOPBUNNYjulyHIPHOPBUNNYjuly Posts: 49 New Member
    edited November 2012
    @3DJ4 - I saw that TV spot for the sims 3. They were using deceiving outdoor lighting(that they don't actually have) and bloom effects not in the game. The 2nd picture is exactly what we have in the sims 3 now. So basically your saying you want sims 4 sims to looks like sims 3 sims, more or less?

Have you seen the sims 3 creator Tamo's sims? They look like that,she just uses better lighting set up in game.

If everything looked that way and sims could actually do all those things fro mthe start, very few people would have a problem with the sims 3 now. Heck I'm still waiting for what the sims 2 tv spot promised melol

@Valandis Is that from Eve Online. If sims looked like that, I wouldn't complain. :lol:

I also wouldn't mind if they looked like pixar characters. they would actually be pretty sweet :)

However,I don't care what stylized humanoid they they use.Like I said before, I just want better meshes and support in the game engine for real world textures and high rez detail for custom skins, so I can customize them to my personal tastes.

But both of you proved my point exactly.who needs that much detailed textures or high poly meshes. The lighting in the game engine significantly effects how everything in the game looks, especially sims.
    (eve online has better lighting options than the sims 3 in protrait mode)
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited November 2012
    @3DJ4 - I saw that TV spot for the sims 3. They were using deceiving outdoor lighting(that they don't actually have) and bloom effects not in the game. The 2nd picture is exactly what we have in the sims 3 now. So basically your saying you want sims 4 sims to looks like sims 3 sims, more or less?

Have you seen the sims 3 creator Tamo's sims? They look like that,she just uses better lighting set up in game.

If everything looked that way and sims could actually do all those things fro mthe start, very few people would have a problem with the sims 3 now. Heck I'm still waiting for what the sims 2 tv spot promised melol

@Valandis Is that from Eve Online. If sims looked like that, I wouldn't complain. :lol:

I also wouldn't mind if they looked like pixar characters. they would actually be pretty sweet :)

However,I don't care what stylized humanoid they they use.Like I said before, I just want better meshes and support in the game engine for real world textures and high rez detail for custom skins, so I can customize them to my personal tastes.

But both of you proved my point exactly.who needs that much detailed textures or high poly meshes. The lighting in the game engine significantly effects how everything in the game looks, especially sims.
    (eve online has better lighting options than the sims 3 in protrait mode)

I agree totally about the lighting being key to improving graphics in the game. Let me add the proper shading is in order to. Many of the shadows inside the sims are misproportioned and come in the wrong areas and create shadows where they shouldn't bee which causes a horrid look on the faces of sims when outside or in any other lighting. Honestly if we were going to talk about realistic lighting the lighting during the day is much brighter and softer than the harshness the game displays.

So i hope there is huge improvement there. I do believe bloom effects should be added to sims, there is another problem and that is with the meshes themselves.

An example is in polished floors there is no reflections especially in tiles etc. In what is suppose to be glass table there isn't reflective lighting let alone reflections from the room, not even the windows. The other things is the plastic huge to the mesh itself without the texture spills over into the things looking fake along with the sims skin etc. So I think some clean up in the meshes would help greatly as well. These are just a few tweaks here in there as well.

What I'm more so looking for in appearances is variety and detail in the hair meshes. I mean come on some of these hair styles are awful at the tips and roots. Not to mention the curly hair is totally eradicated from the game yet many other games are able to provide curly hair.

• Options
    albertwhiskeralbertwhisker Posts: 596 New Member
    edited November 2012
    There are 2 types of simmers, people like me who prefers realistic sims and people like the Vanilla lovers who prefer cartoony. what sims 4 must have is a balance between the 2.

How to make that happen?

1.Have better sliders- People who wanted realistic sims are always screwed in sims 3 cos the sliders are limited and every time we get custom sliders, they got obsolete by every expansion and patch. so the sims 4 sliders must have more features and less limitations, so people who prefers realistic sims can have what they want at the same time people who wanted their cartoony sims can still have what they want. so you can have cartoony sims but they can be customized to become realistic even without CC.

2.make sims 4's system mods more friendly- Sims 2 is much more CC friendly than sims 3 based on my experience, yeah missing a mesh will screw up a sims 2 custom content but they were not glitchy like the sims 3.

3. Choice of hair textures, there must be 3 selectable hair textures for both basegame, store and custom hairs, Shiny, realistic and the cartoony one.

4. Basegame sims 4 sims must be more customizable accordng to people's taste, EA must find a way to balance the 2 crowds.

People like me find Vanilla Puddings Ugly
    and there are people who finds realistic sims creepy.

5.All these sliders must be available from the start:

A.Breast sliders- from Flat to Ginormous watermelon
    B.Muscle sliders- From skinny to Steroid massive Brock Lesnar in steroids
    C. Fat Sliders- from 70 pounds to 600 Pounds
    D. All facial sliders must be like the custom Facial sliders created for sims 3, so people can explore what they want without the annoying limitations. I dont want the Vanilla sliders of sims 3.
    E. Hip sliders from flat to Kim Kardashian

• Options
    phatkatneeshphatkatneesh Posts: 119
    edited November 2012
    Valandis wrote:
    90300596_512.jpg
    8)

I started to say that I prefer the cartoonish look that we currently have, but seeing your post has changed my mind. I would love the sims to look as you have pictured. They are more realistic without looking "creepy". However, it doesn't really matter to me. I care about having more content for my money. If they plan on making everything more expensive and less fulfilling, then it will take more than realistic sims to convince me to continue forward with the sims franchise. So, I hope we all get what we need to rejuvenate our excitement. I have my fingers crossed. :?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top