Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course Six: All About Fog Emitters-- Guest Lecturer: SimEve!--See Post One

Comments

• SimEveSimEve Posts: 4,772 Member
    edited September 2012
    Now that you know the basics of finding, placing and coding the fog emitter, we will discuss some different ways of using them. These ideas can all be achieved using the techniques I have shown in this lesson. In the next lesson we will learn more advanced uses for the fog emitter.

Aquariums
    I've been building these since before the fog emitter ever came out(It was much harder then!) and they are still my favorite use for them. I'll show a few images of these here and include a link to the full tutorials for anyone who is interested.

Screenshot-412.png

This aquarium takes a bit of work since each fish is from an individual fog emitter and they are at different heights. This is an image from buy mode. You can see here how I used different items to camouflage the tables and pedestals.
    The full tutorial is here: Scenic Sanctum Tutorials

Screenshot-413.jpg

This image shows just how many fog emitters I used to achieve this look. It really doesn't take as long as it might seem. There are shortcuts including cloning that I go over in detail in the tutorial.

Screenshot-414.jpg

You can see here that pedestals(found in the decor section) can be used to elevate the end tables that the fog emitters are placed on. This adds variation in height of the animations.

Screenshot-415.png

Aquariums like this one take a lot less time but have to be much bigger as well. It all depends on the codes you use. For more detailed information on this type of aquarium, see the full tutorial here: Shark Tank

Screenshot-194.jpg

Waterfalls
    This one of the most common uses of the fog emitter and it's quite lovely if done properly.

Screenshot-421.jpg

Here you can see the three fog emitters I placed above the area of the waterfall. I used the code "waterfall_1_short" for each one. Depending on the setting you will need to adjust the position of the fog emitters. "moveobjects on" is crucial for these types of fog emitter uses.

Screenshot-422.jpg

At the base of the waterfall you will need to place one fog emitter in the water with the code "waterfall_1_shortsplash". It's best to code it before placing since it's very hard to grab these out of the water.

Screenshot-425.png

I love to use fog emitter to add small touches here and there. It really adds another level of atmosphere that would be impossible otherwise. Here I am using two codes, "waterspoutdown" and "ep5dogsmalldripssprinklertorso" to add some small drips and waterspouts to my grotto.

Screenshot-423.jpg

You can see it has a lovely effect in game.

Screenshot-424.jpg

Fog
    You may be thinking...duh... but my take is slightly different here. Rather then just placing the fog emitter on the ground which makes the fog flow over the ground like this:

Screenshot-17.jpg

You can use smallest terrain tools to lower the ground just a bit and place the fog emitter right in there.

Screenshot-18.jpg
    Screenshot-19.jpg

As you can see this technique makes the fog seem to collect only in the area around the placement of the fog emitter and it just adds that little extra, spooky touch. I've placed more than one fog emitter to achieve this look. For an added bonus I've raised the terrain around the path(yet to be painted) so that the fog collects in the middle. Hopefully no one will use this technique until after I get this lot uploaded. :lol:

Screenshot-21.jpg

I like to use fog emitters instead of insect spawners whenever possible. Using the animations keeps the insects where you want them and constantly visible. You don't have to bother with collection prompts either. It's more fun to collect items while adventuring around town, in my opinion. And don't forget that the codes are universal but some of the spawners are not.

In this next image I've just added two fog emitters around the Oak tree with the code "fireflies". Every night they will show up and look oh so pretty. You can also see a fog emitter tucked into the pond area. This one is set to default fog.

Screenshot-49.png
    Screenshot-52.jpg

Here I've used the shift-able mod to raise this fog emitter to the height of my light. Then I entered the code "moths" and the result is below.

Screenshot-53.jpg

Some of these are so simple but it's the small touches that make a lot amazing, in my opinion.

Screenshot-54.jpg

The effects I've shown so far are more realistic touches that you can use in any lot. The real fun begins when you are working on a fantasy lot. In the next lesson I'll be working in my Lunar lakes lot and we will check out some really crazy effects. There are a ton of sparkles, glowing effects and fantastic lights. The possibilities are almost endless.

Screenshot-60.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited September 2012
    There are so many more ways to use fog emitters and thousands of codes to try out. You can use them for almost every single type of Sims 3 creation. I've only gone over building uses here but they are amazing in machinima(Sims 3 movies) and photography as well. If you want an easy way to find the animations you want to use then check out my Fog Emitter Animations Series

You can also find an updated code list here: http://simsvip.com/?p=15204

In the next lesson we will learn some more advanced techniques for use including using hidden switches to activate and deactivate animations and using the processor to automate animations. I'm cooking up some really cool things and I hope to see you there!

In the mean time your assignment is to use the fog emitter any way you like, in any setting, photograph it and post it here. You can make it as simple as you like or go crazy with it. There is no rush as long as they are in before the next lesson. Go and get creative!

It looks like class time is just about over but if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me in any of these places.

Facebook- http://www.facebook.com/sim.eve.5?ref=tn_tnmn

CreatEve Works- http://createveworks.blogspot.com/

or My Showcase Thread http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/352319.page

If you post on my page I probably won't see it. I get lost there...

Thanks so much for having me Zoo Professor and thanks to everyone who joined!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • KaztompKaztomp Posts: 519 Member
    edited September 2012
    It's a shock to my system - weird being up when it's still dark and I think I've confused my kitty cats - lol!! They're not sure what's going on!
    edited September 2012
    Lol! Thanks for staying up late. <3
    edited September 2012
    Well I've got the lesson set up. I'll be here for any questions or comments. I hope you don't get bored! I'm saving the really cool effects for the next lesson. :wink:
  • sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited September 2012
    Hello SimEve, O Fog Emitter Expert!!!

Hello to everyone :
    edited September 2012
    WOW!! I'm practising as we speak and it's incredible! Lol'd at my shark with his head stuck in the FE and his butt hanging out (buy mode)... and especially love the idea of the shiftable FE mod! Am I allowed to ask (and forgive me if you've already answered) - was it from MTS?
    edited September 2012
    Hi sharonxyz!

Kaztomp- You can click on the blue text of the title to link you to it.
    edited September 2012
    That's what I get for rushing :oops: - lol!
    edited September 2012
    Lol, no problem! That is what I'm here for. I'm sure I screwed at least ten things up anyhow. I always do! :lol: I was actually adding a note about links being in blue text before I saw you post. :wink:
    edited September 2012
    Dear Eve,

Are the screens showing waterfalls from Unicorn Sanctuary, Scenic Sanctum, or other?
    In your studio?

So Gorgeous!

BTW, your movies showing effects with codes were recommended in our last class by Lissykin, and I watched much with fascination....took some code notes, I know how to ID what the code currently is and how to change it, just which code input to use for the desired effect is tricky, scale especially.

For example, is there a fog emitter to put small flames under a caudron as though it is on hot coals or magically lit in some way?
    edited September 2012
    That waterfall picture was from the Unicorn Sanctuary. I was too lazy to redo it so I hope that was ok! :lol:

It would have been a good idea for me to place an itme in the f.e. video for scale! I do have to move the camera around constantly to get the best view though, so that might get a little too tedious. Hmmm. I'll have to think about that some more.

As for the fire, yes there are codes like that. I used one in my Amethyst starter and let me try to find that code for you.
  • ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited September 2012
    Eve, this is a GREAT job! Written as if you are a teacher in real life (I can give NO higher praise) and while the absolute beginner can follow it perfectly it has plenty to interest those of us who have used the F.E. in our own builds.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I cannot even wait for the next lesson. In two weeks, right?
    oow785m
    edited September 2012
    Thanks so much ZP! That means a lot coming from you. Yes, the next lesson will be on October the 13. I suppose the same time (Sorry to those that are up late!) as well because of my own family issues.

I have been working on some really cool things for the next lesson! I hope it might be more interesting for those of you who already know all about fog emitters.
    edited September 2012
    So sorry I was late, I will be reading the full tutorial ASAP...starting now.

I could do so before installing Supernatural; post installation, I can't run the game with other apps going and minimizing darkens too much.

I used to turn down fx options, now they are on medium, but I had to trade stuff for it like draw distance LOL

This is my computer for now though. And I do see all special effects I believe, but maybe miss subtleties :(

As an example, "butterfliesglowyfree" and the default mist is very clear to see. LOL...was trying to find a little smoke for around and above the cauldren, but was too much, as was "manholesteam"

This topic is amazing :)
    edited September 2012
    Sharon, I'm pretty sure I know what that code is but I'm just loading up that lot since it's right there. It won't take a minute. There are so many fire effects that it can be mind boggling!
    edited September 2012
    Thank you so much Eve, and I have loved the Unicorn Sanctuary for so long, it was how I discovered your studio :D

To save you trouble, if you can tell me if there is more than one, where the fog emitter is in Amethyst (sp?) I can look up the code on it :D
    edited September 2012
    Supernatural must present so many more codes for you!! Overwhelming, I would think! My first view ever of fireworks was Zoo's Fabulous Fairyland (truly fab :)) and now my witches play with magic constantly and the effects increase and vary to fireworks at hand level and new "rune" symbols in the air!!
    edited September 2012
    Sorry to bug you, Eve, but I want to be sure I'm correct. Do you want it to be on October 13th, at 3:00PM Eastern Standard Time?

I foolishly edited my post (taking off the time zone) when I changed the first post to say that the first lesson was up. Sorry about that! :D
    oow785m
    edited September 2012
    Gosh, we barely know each other...I'm Sharon and I ask too many questions...and it is a pleasure to be here!!
    edited September 2012
    It's no trouble. The code I used there isn't exactly right anyway. It's more of a magical aura but I put it under my cauldron and it does look pretty cool! ambrosiaplate

As for regular fire you should try some of these and remember you can use more than one if you need to. firepit , candleburning
    edited September 2012
    Thank you ZooProfessor for hosting this lesson and many, many thanks SimEve for being such a brilliant teacher!! I'm going to check out your other links SimEve and hope to have something worthy to photograph and show you before next lesson! October 13 *jots down in diary* - PS. I didn't stay up late - I got up super early - lol! It's just now gone 5:30am (I'm in Australia), I've been up for an hour now :) Sky is just starting to lighten - who'd of thought mornings could be so pretty?? LOL!
    edited September 2012
    sharonxyz wrote:
    Supernatural must present so many more codes for you!! Overwhelming, I would think! My first view ever of fireworks was Zoo's Fabulous Fairyland (truly fab :)) and now my witches play with magic constantly and the effects increase and vary to fireworks at hand level and new "rune" symbols in the air!!

MWAH! Thanks, Sweetie!

By the way, I used the F.E. for my fireworks AND I used SimEve's Shark Tank tutorial to get the effects for my Ariel's Grotto in that Fabulous Fairyland lot. I've been a SimEve fan for a long while!
    oow785m
    edited September 2012
    That is correct Zoo Professor.

It's nice to meet you as well Sharon. I don't have a lot of time to get to know people from the community anymore but I'm always around if anyone needs help or just wants to chat. My many projects sort of take up my Simming time, lol.
    edited September 2012
    Oh! That's even worse, Kaztomp! But at least you get to see the sunrise :wink:.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top