Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Catastrophic error when installing patch

Hello, I am a non-techie, non-gaming parent, posting on my children's account to solicit help for this problem. I don't even know if this is a single problem, or multiple ones. They have the Sims 3 base game, Showtime, and Late Night. When they try to play any game, clicking on the correct icon, a message says to insert the Showtime disk. They are only able to play Showtime, not the base game and not Late Night.

While trying to sort this out, I tried to follow the prompts to install an update, Patch #440815388, upgrading from 1.31.118 to 1.36.45. The nearly 1 Gb file downloads, and then gets halfway through installing when this error appears:

File:
Error: Catastrophic Failure

When I retry, it pops up a Browse window to a location in my Temp files, and ask me to insert the correct disk. The disk is already in, so ???? I'm running Win7, on an HP Pavilion, Comcast broadband, Symantec anti-virus and Net Nanny. Thanks, screenshots available on request.

Comments

• NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited August 2012
    Hi,

For disc based Sims 3 expansion or stuff packs, the game disc of the most recently released and installed title is always used to launch into the game. This applies even if the expansion or stuff packs are installed out of order. In your particular case, the Showtime DVD disc will be required to launch into the game. The content from the other expansion packs will still be accessible to you.

As for the catastrophic failure issue, are all of your Sims 3 games installed to the computer's internal hard disk drive? Have you installed any Sims 3 games to an external hard disk drive or USB drive?
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!