Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hi, My Name Is...The Landing Pad

Comments

• InvisibleLyndzInvisibleLyndz Posts: 3,861 Member
    edited July 2012
    Welcome Amaira!

I know what you mean. I personally find it hard to post much in this forum (well, things other than questions) as I notice that there are a lot of "well known" forumites and "groups" of friends (not saying that's bad by the way!) where I feel like I'd be intruding if I posted :lol: (I know that sounds a bit silly as I'm sure everyone is really friendly).
  • AmairaAmaira Posts: 293 Member
    edited July 2012
    Welcome Amaira!

I know what you mean. I personally find it hard to post much in this forum (well, things other than questions) as I notice that there are a lot of "well known" forumites and "groups" of friends (not saying that's bad by the way!) where I feel like I'd be intruding if I posted :lol: (I know that sounds a bit silly as I'm sure everyone is really friendly).

Not silly at all, I am the same way. Especially when there is a thread with tons of posts already in it then I get a bit overwhelmed haha. Also I try to check back fairly frequently but sometimes I start a conversation with someone then have to go do something and come back and there are a ton of new posts. None of this is bad just I guess you need to dive in and eventually you'll be "forumite." :P
  • MissElphebaMissElpheba Posts: 3,810 Member
    edited July 2012
    Amaira wrote:
    Hey all I'm Amaira. I'm not new to the site or forums but I have usually just lurked. I always avoided the gift forum like the plague because I thought it'd be filled with begging but I was so wrong. This is awesome what everyone is doing and it is so refreshing to see generous people around, sometimes that can be hard to find now. I gotta say I also really really like that it isn't just about gifting that costs money but also the free kind, that kind gets neglected way too much.

Happy simming all and I look forward to being a more active member of this forum :D

I know what you mean. I am honoured that so many lovely simmers have gifted me from the store. But I've also had sims made for me, a museum, recolours, patterns, and the thought that has gone into each and every one of those makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. And it works the other way. I love gifting store content, especially to those I know would struggle to get any otherwise, but I love making things for people too. I'm a crafter in real life, so I know the value of a "handmade" gift. :D
  • MissElphebaMissElpheba Posts: 3,810 Member
    edited July 2012
    Welcome Amaira!

Aw, no-one would want you to feel you were intruding. Sometimes there can be the odd in joke, as some of us have chatted for a very long time. But as far as I know, all the chat threads are open and welcoming to new people (or fresh blood as they're often labelled) and as people are online at different times, have different RL commitments etc, there's nearly always someone to chat too. And just dive in. I am quite shy in real life and was here too for a while, but once I took the plunge, there was no stopping me! :D
    edited July 2012
    You're right Amaira, I guess I'll have to just dive in!

I think another reason why I tend to not post much as well is because I find this site incredibly hard to keep up with as there is no "view post" option. So I end up just bookmarking everything I have posted on or it'll be lost within the hour :lol:

ETA: Thanks MissElpheba too, I'll just have to get stuck in!
  • mnevin25mnevin25 Posts: 466 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi my name is Mnevin25 but I go by mellie at times. I live to play Sims and just started to visit the forums on a daily basis. Still trying to learn how this all works. I have posted some things in June so I guess that means I am new to posting photos. Except when Pets came out I posted my dog Max. LOL

I just wanted to greet everyone and tell everyone it's a pleasure to meet you.

for now happy simming..

:D
  • BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited July 2012
    Welcome, welcome!!

I've been active on the forums for less than a year, I think its only been about 7 months. (It feels longer, let me tell "fresh blood". Because the way I see it, the more people are in on the chat...the more people you have to chat with! Especially since there are so many different time zones and commitments, like MissE said.

And, if you feel like there is just too much going on, feel free to chat a little in here first. There will always be someone ready to say hello!
    14941955179_f9373f55cd_o.jpg
  • BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited July 2012
    ArietteMay wrote:
    Forum heaven? Sounds amazing! :lol:

That's right. This place is like a safe haven from the craziness outside...
    14941955179_f9373f55cd_o.jpg
  • scorpiophoenixscorpiophoenix Posts: 2,289 Member
    edited July 2012
    Good afternoon :wink:

Welcome everyone and I hope all your day's are going great so far!

If you don't mind me posting a question, here one is :lol:
    What's the fastest way to earn simoleons when you're no cheating?

:lol: Currently I have a man and a woman who've just aged to adults and they only have 20,000 to their name and are still living in their starter home! The man is a firefighter (level 9 now I think) and the woman is unemployed (just to make it harder haha) but is earning money through entering competitions with her horse

(I'm also trying to adopt a unicorn but it is so hard! She's best friends with the unicorn and with her cat, her dog and her horse yet still it says "you have to be friends with every animal" or something, any help? She also has a lizard, and used to have a squirrel but it died)

As Blythelyre said try writing. Books can really add up as the sim's skills develop. Also try painting. It takes some time for them to gain skill but once they do, a lot of their paintings can sell for some major cash after they reach certain limits.
  • Faith_AndhopeFaith_Andhope Posts: 4,468 Member
    edited July 2012
    First of all, thank you, Blythelyre, for creating this thread. It's a wonderful idea and I love how it is being utilized. Bravo!

Secondly, to all of the new and not-so-new members who are just now posting and introducing yourself ... WELCOME!

Thirdly, to InvisibleLyndz
    InvisibleLyndz: "I think another reason why I tend to not post much as well is because I find this site incredibly hard to keep up with as there is no "view post" option. So I end up just bookmarking everything I have posted on or it'll be lost within the hour"

If you click the "My Preferences" link at the top of the forum page, it will take you to the page where you can create a signature and check some other preferences. If you go the url address in the web address bar at the very top of your browser window you will see this: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/user/edit/YOUR-MEMBER-NUMBER.page. If you replace the word "edit" with the word "profile" you will then get a page that has information all about you, including the posts you've started and ones you have simply posted in. When you click on one of those, it will show you your posts with the most recent ones at the top, going on down.

Hopefully this will help you keep track better of threads where you're posting and wanting to keep up with.

:)

And finally, about me. I have been on the forums for quite awhile but mostly in the creative sections like Create-A-World and Creative Corner. I first came to the forums looking for help with my adventures in World Adventures and I stayed to participate in the discussions in General and Technical Discussions.

Then after the longest time, I finally wandered into GG (Gift Gathering) and this is now my "home." It's always the first place I come before I go see what's going on in other areas.

I love the people here and I am thankful, more than I can say, to have found this little corner of Simdom.
  • scorpiophoenixscorpiophoenix Posts: 2,289 Member
    edited July 2012
    Blythelyre wrote:
    Thanks so much for those tips!

John, can you post the link to that if you have it? I'd like to put that up on the first page please!

Here is the link for the Build-n-Share Challenges, where I got the starter building help list. Thanks for wanting to post it as well. New entrants are always welcomed in all categories. It is a great challenge to stretch your creativity and imagination as well as learn some new stuff.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/373316.page
  • AmairaAmaira Posts: 293 Member
    edited July 2012
    If you click the "My Preferences" link at the top of the forum page, it will take you to the page where you can create a signature and check some other preferences. If you go the url address in the web address bar at the very top of your browser window you will see this: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/user/edit/YOUR-MEMBER-NUMBER.page. If you replace the word "edit" with the word "profile" you will then get a page that has information all about you, including the posts you've started and ones you have simply posted in. When you click on one of those, it will show you your posts with the most recent ones at the top, going on down.

Hopefully this will help you keep track better of threads where you're posting and wanting to keep up with.

Thanks so much that is great to know!
    edited July 2012
    Thanks a lot Faith_Andhope, that helped out a lot!
  • Faith_AndhopeFaith_Andhope Posts: 4,468 Member
    edited July 2012
    Amaira wrote:

Thanks so much that is great to know!

You're welcome!

And Welcome! :lol:

I wish they would simply add a link to the top with the others that takes one directly to the profile page, but alas, we must do it this way for now. Oh well, at least we can. :)
  • KrysstiaKrysstia Posts: 57 Member
    edited July 2012
    Good morning everyone! How is everyone on this lovely Saturday morning?

I love Creative Corner too, so many talented people there! Some really lovely creators here too!

Thank you Blythe for making this thread. It is really nice to have a landing pad, as a forum newbie.
    edited July 2012
    "Lovely" :lol: It's been pouring down with rain non stop for me today so I haven't been able to do much - what about you?
  • friendsfan36friendsfan36 Posts: 6,715 New Member
    edited July 2012
    i'm friendsfan 36 but friends or friendsfan is also ok. i joined the community just over a year ago so i'm in beteen new and oldie. i'm usually in the gg forum but my the friends i made there are amazing builders and sim creators so i've been spending time in creative corner lately.

welcome to community.
  • MyDoodlebugMyDoodlebug Posts: 164 Member
    edited July 2012
    Help! Okay, I downloaded a sim from the exchange. I checked her out to see if it looked like any CC, the hair and clothes were from EA so I downloaded her. Wah! Wah! Her skin was custom and it replaced all my skin tones in the game. Now I can't make blue or green people and silly me, I think it is fun to have blue and green people walking around my town. So, I deleted the sim, but the skins stayed. I just deleted all the games from my computer right before Lucky Palms to get rid of all the CC because my game was so laggy. I don't want to start over again. Any ideas?
  • MsrednotdeadMsrednotdead Posts: 9,215 Member
    edited July 2012
    You need to uninstall the custom skin. Open your launcher and try to find the skin in the installed list and then uninstall from there. Just deleting the sim will not get rid of custom content
  • SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi everyone, I'm Sandraelle (aka Sandy). My favorite thing to do in Sims is to build. I've always loved to decorate and my family always tells me that I've missed my calling, that I should have become an interior designer. In fact, I'm a huge fan of HGTV and when I watch programs on there, I say, hey, I just got another idea for a building!

I've been building since Sims 2 and I've had all my games registered with Sims 3 from day 1 (back in 2010), but never explored anything on the Sims 3 site before. I was a lurker in the "modthesims2" site because I loved looking at other people's creations for inspiration and I've downloaded a ton of CC from there. It's taken some getting used to not being able to use any of my CC in my builds, but now that I've received some store content and purchased a few things myself, it's not as bad. But I still miss some of my CC objects.

The only person I know in RL that plays Sims3 is my cousin, "wensimmie", and one day (towards the end of April) she started posting a few things about the sims on Facebook and asked me if I had ever visited the sims community forums before and mentioned a building contest I might be interested in. So that's all it took. I created my profile, then got hit with a bunch of gifts from some of wensimmie's friends, checked out the building contest threads...and now I'm hooked and I've entered about 5 building competitions since then (although I haven't placed in any of them yet, but I will keep trying). Of course, I was very reluctant to enter anything because I didn't have the confidence to share my stuff with others and compete with people who I thought were way better than myself. So it took some courage, but I've learned a lot about posting photos to threads and it's been a ton of fun.

Anyways, I'm rambling now, but I just want to say that I've met lots of great people and they have been so generous to me on here. And it's great to finally be able to share my creations and get excited about my stuff with others that share the same interest, as my family and friends just don't get it, LOL. My only complaint is that I can't keep up with all the contests...I want to enter every one, but time is a factor! :-)

Thanks to everyone I've met so far and look forwarding to making even more friends.
  • ArietteMayArietteMay Posts: 23
    edited July 2012
    Hi Sandy, i've seen your builds and I absolutely adore them! <3 It amazes me how users can make such beautiful houses where as I wouldn't have the patience for it! :lol:
  • DancerBakerSimLoveDancerBakerSimLove Posts: 4,415 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi everyone!

My name is DancerBakerSimLove, but most people just use one word out of that to talk to me :lol: . But, you can also call me Lena, which is a part of my name!

I don't actually remember when I cam to this forum...if anyone does, feel free to remind me! But, i used to go on General Discussion...but i never really felt like I was part of anything. I came to this forum to see what it was about, and to also post a thank you for a gift! Ever since, I have stayed here, and only really stray off to the Sims and modeling section, where I am hosting a competition, and have entered in a few.

Feel free to add me as a friend! :mrgreen:
  • Emmy0322Emmy0322 Posts: 1,239 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi fellow simmers!

My name is Emmy0322 but most people call me Emmy and my friends in rl call me M. I've been on this site since Oct. 2010 but only on the forums since about June 2011 so over a year. I mostly lurk on the forums because I'm very shy. :oops: That's why it's been over a year and I only have 800 some posts.I came to this forum after Generations came out and I wanted to find out why it wasn't working for me. It took many many hours but eventually I was able to get a patch for it to work. After finding that helpful hint I decided to explore the rest of the forums. Now I basically only go on the GG one. Now I feel like I spend a lot more time on the forums then I do in my actual game. I enjoy building but am not very good. I also like entering contest, unfortunately, my computer is dying and keeps randomly turning off when I try to play, so I don't even know if I'll be able to finish for the contests I'm currently entered in :? . So that's my life relating to The Sims. Feel free to add me as a friend. :D

• KrysstiaKrysstia Posts: 57 Member
    edited July 2012
    I had a great day with my husband and son! We've just been out and about enjoying the day. It's sunny and very warm here. My kind of weather!

Hope everyone had a great day and welcome to all the other newbies in the thread!
  • stormwenchstormwench Posts: 4,416 New Member
    edited July 2012
    I would like to make a suggestion about wishlists. Always keep one set broken down in individual parts. People often want to start out, if they want to gift you, with smaller gifts then a full set until they get to know you better and how much you participate.

I know its not unusual to see whole sets gifted to people but to be honest those are usually people who have been around for a while and are known for their participation, chatting, playing in contests and such. Of course some contests award winners sets too but most contests need you to have items of smaller sp amounts.

I am sure you can understand that people might be reluctant to spend 15-20 dollars on a new face when they don't know if they are going to continue in the community but many often like to welcome new people with a small gift. If all you have on your wishlist are large sets it maybe a while before you see a gift just because of the cost. If your an involved member you would be amazed at how fast you can get a whole set even if its on your wishlist in individual pieces :)