Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hi, My Name Is...The Landing Pad

Comments

• LilyParkerLilyParker Posts: 1,144 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi I'm new here to, my name is Corey and I just want to know, what do you guys do here? And hi everyone, hope I can get to know you all

haha

Indeed! Even this noob knows who you are. I lurked while you waged an epic battle in the GG forum, throwing poor nurses into pits while they were just trying to help the wounded take cover. You were being a naughty bunny! :wink: :twisted:

[...and I realize this makes no sense to those who weren't there to witness the melee. Sorry 'bout that.]
    Currently blogging about The Island Challenge on Lily Parker's Sims Challenges (WordPress).
    Abandoned Kids Challenge
    and Toddler Mania Challenge stories are complete.
  • KelsKelsKelsKels Posts: 94 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi! Im new here (well sort of...) Ive done a couple of challenges and stuff like that but ive played the sims since 2009 and I cant believe I haven't joined the forums sooner!!
  • rekandtrsrekandtrs Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi Eunique, I just adore your name. Not only is it unique but it is beautiful as well Funny how we think alike as far as the GG goes, because I thought I didn't belong in this section at all at first myself. But I can honestly tell you that you haven't made a wrong turn hon because this is by far the best part of the forums ever. So welcome and don't be afraid to just dive right in

Well thank you! (: I'm glad i'm not the only one to ever feel that way.

I had some catching up to do i didn't know so many people have posted. Since i can't name off every single simmer i just want to say...

HELLO EVERYONE! (:
  • stikystuffstikystuff Posts: 2,939 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi I'm stikystuff and I'm new I'm also a simholic :mrgreen:

Just seen this thread so though I would pop in and say hello. :lol:
  • scorpiophoenixscorpiophoenix Posts: 2,289 Member
    edited July 2012
    Figured I would stop by and say hello. I am scorpiophoenix, or scorp, or John, or SC, or anything else you want to call me. I have been hanging around the Gift Gathering forums for around two or three months. I found a contest from Skymyst and joined and then I met Blythlyre and then Pnoles and I have been hanging around ever since.

I usually am in the Creative Corner. I joined the forums in January 2010 and spent most of my time there. I help out with the Build-n-Share challenges there from coming up with challenges to helping judge. You also may see me around some of the other sims-related forums. I actually cannot remember all of the ones that I have a membership with. :shock:

I usually spend my time creating sims or building. I prefer to build and enjoy it. I like to get creative with naming of my lots and my sims.

If you want to know anything else just ask. I will not say what all I might say to you though. I seem to not always have a filter between my brain and mouth! :lol: I will say anything a lot of times.
  • KatimoKatimo Posts: 467 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Hey everyone! I'm Katimo. I lurk on this forum more than I post but I figured this would be a good introduction! :]
  • Ivanna420Ivanna420 Posts: 5,432 Member
    edited July 2012
    Just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone and welcome to the best section in the forums. We have the greatest, most generous people here. :mrgreen: Jump in and join all the contests and lotteries, or just the conversations and you'll soon see what I mean.
    140820-HBmsSZamsz7b.gif
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited July 2012

If you want to know anything else just ask. I will not say what all I might say to you though. I seem to not always have a filter between my brain and mouth! :lol: I will say anything a lot of times.

Oooh, any personal beginner building tips you want to pass along?

My window placement always seems to come out and funny. And oh boy, is my landscaping shocking! :shock:
  • scorpiophoenixscorpiophoenix Posts: 2,289 Member
    edited July 2012
    aricarai wrote:

Oooh, any personal beginner building tips you want to pass along?

My window placement always seems to come out and funny. And oh boy, is my landscaping shocking! :shock:

Start small. I would say start out with a starter and keep your budget low. And just keep building. The more you build, the more experience you gain.
    I copied this from a post by Addict1220, who founded Build-n-Share challenge and it helps a lot.
    A few tips for starters
    Here are just a few tips to get you started. If you know a few more and are willing to give them up to the competition , feel free to post below with more info!

Walls:
    Are expensive. Use alternatives whenever possible.

Open layouts work nicely for starters. Just use natural transitioning and create "areas" instead (ie. the kitchen opens onto the living room, instead of being its own little room.)

Simple foundation basements are nice because they are made out of foundation, which is cheaper, and they add a whole lot of room to your house. If you leave them bare with brick walls, they cost even less. (I would at least cover the floor, though.) Attics can be good for the same reason. If you use a pointy roof and the house is big enough, there is some area under the highest point of the roof that's usable. All it costs to utilize this space is a set of the cheapest stairs and some inexpensive flooring.

Diagonal walls can be a little awkward, but because they can go from corner to corner and are wider than regular walls, you get a "room" out of one wall.

Foundation:
    Whether you are going to use a basement or not, hollow out the middle of your foundation floors. You really only need foundation around the outer edge of your home so your walls aren't floating in outerspace. When you use ctrl with the foundation tool, it erases foundation. If the area is still closed in with walls and a border of foundation, you usually are left with a floating floor. If the tile grid "disappears," start from the outside and work your way in. Each new row of floor will add the grid for the row after it. Soon, the whole room is covered.

Deleting the foundation has a second advantage: you can create little sunk-in areas with a set of stairs. Kind of a fun design twist that's cheap.

Columns:
    Also expensive. You know that carport? Instead of columns, you might consider using a two-level patio foundation (the one with the wood slats). Build the patio foundation. Then, on top of that one, hit shift and drag another patio foundation. They stack and become taller. High enough for that carport roof.

You also don't "need" all the columns. If you're trying to get flooring above a column, use the column, add the floor, and then delete the column. Voila! Floating tiles. I wouldn't have a massive floating object with no columns, but a few less than you need helps pinch pennies when you're talking starter.

Wall coverings:
    This is something I've figured out in Sims 3. I probably shouldn't tell you if you haven't done it yet...find the cheapest wall with no built-in pattern you can find (I use Flat Wall in the paint section). Click on it with the create-a-style tool. Go to your brick or whatever other more expensive pattern you want and select it. Your brick wall now costs about $3 less per panel then if you just did it the normal way.

Floorplan:
    Always go small. More walls=more money. They're expensive, and you have to cover them. Make it big enough that the sim can move around. But if they outgrow the house, they can always add on later. This is probably the biggest money-saver for starters.

Windows:
    Check window prices carefully. Some of the double windows will be cheaper than using two of the smaller ones. It's usually not by much, but if you're doing a whole wall of them, it can add up.

Build and build again:
    The cool thing about starters is you can build them pretty quickly. I usually find the more I build consecutively, the more I can get in and for less money.

For me to, look at blueprints/house plans and take ideas and inspiration from them. You do not have to follow them but they can help with door and window placements and other inspiration. Also just use a search engine and look at different pics of homes like the one you want to create. You can get ideas for decorating, landscaping, and placement.
  • stormwenchstormwench Posts: 4,416 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Wow that was excellent building advice :) The only thing I would add is that if you see a lot on the exchange that has an interesting feature and you are not sure how its done - install the lot in your game and play with it until you see how the builder did it. Its a great way to learn how to do some of the unique things that people put into builds.
  • BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited July 2012
    Thanks so much for those tips!

John, can you post the link to that if you have it? I'd like to put that up on the first page please!
    14941955179_f9373f55cd_o.jpg
  • TnT_TerryTnT_Terry Posts: 6,629 Member
    edited July 2012
    :shock: up to the front with you dagnabbit :evil: :mrgreen: :twisted:

Hi again everyone and welcome to all the newbies since my last post, hope you all have an amazing day ;)...squishy hugz
    I own every basegame, EP, GP, SP and kits for all sims, ie.., sims 1, 2, 3 and 4
    I am a sims 3 Store Owner Thanks to all my Amazing friends here, and I do own all store stuff from sims 2 as well!

gjmdPt7.png
  • MissElphebaMissElpheba Posts: 3,810 Member
    edited July 2012
    **waves**

I'm MissElpheba, but you can all call me MissE. I'm an ex-pat Brit, living in Sweden. I've been around here, posting for almost a year to the day now. My first post was in a "Gift the Person Above you" thread. I had some leftover simpoints from purchasing Barnacle Bay and thought - "is this "gift giving" a scam? Oh I'll give it a go!" I gifted my first gift and shortly afterwards got one back, and I was hooked! I then started entering contests, before summoning up the courage to run a few of my own. I found so many wonderful simmers, who were happy to chat, laugh and play together, and it's no hyperbole when I say that some of my closest friends have been formed here.

I'm also still a newbie in so many ways. I'm currently trying to learn as much as I can about building, so the tips I've seen in here are invaluable. If I'm not in GG, then I'm lurking in Creative Corner, trying to stuff my brain with as many creative vibes as possible.

My page is public, so feel free to pop by sometime. Happy Simming!
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited July 2012
    stormwench wrote:
    Wow that was excellent building advice :)

Agreed! Thank you so much for that. Looks like I need to jump in and start building!
    I'm an ex-pat Brit, living in Sweden.

I'm an ex-pat American, living in England!
  • stormwenchstormwench Posts: 4,416 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Thought I would jump it back before I got lost on an old page :)
    edited July 2012
    Good morning, good morning, good morning!!
  • InvisibleLyndzInvisibleLyndz Posts: 3,861 Member
    edited July 2012
    Good afternoon :wink:

Welcome everyone and I hope all your day's are going great so far!

If you don't mind me posting a question, here one is :lol:
    What's the fastest way to earn simoleons when you're no cheating?

:lol: Currently I have a man and a woman who've just aged to adults and they only have 20,000 to their name and are still living in their starter home! The man is a firefighter (level 9 now I think) and the woman is unemployed (just to make it harder haha) but is earning money through entering competitions with her horse

(I'm also trying to adopt a unicorn but it is so hard! She's best friends with the unicorn and with her cat, her dog and her horse yet still it says "you have to be friends with every animal" or something, any help? She also has a lizard, and used to have a squirrel but it died)
  • ArietteMayArietteMay Posts: 23
    edited July 2012
    Hi everyone. I'm ArietteMay, i've only just joined today. I think this is a great idea and I can't wait to meet you all! :-)
  • InvisibleLyndzInvisibleLyndz Posts: 3,861 Member
    edited July 2012
    ArietteMay wrote:
    Hi everyone. I'm ArietteMay, i've only just joined today. I think this is a great idea and I can't wait to meet you all! :-)

Welcome! :mrgreen:
    edited July 2012
    Thank you InvisibleLyndz :D
    edited July 2012
    Good afternoon :wink:

Welcome everyone and I hope all your day's are going great so far!

If you don't mind me posting a question, here one is :lol:
    What's the fastest way to earn simoleons when you're no cheating?

:lol: Currently I have a man and a woman who've just aged to adults and they only have 20,000 to their name and are still living in their starter home! The man is a firefighter (level 9 now I think) and the woman is unemployed (just to make it harder haha) but is earning money through entering competitions with her horse

(I'm also trying to adopt a unicorn but it is so hard! She's best friends with the unicorn and with her cat, her dog and her horse yet still it says "you have to be friends with every animal" or something, any help? She also has a lizard, and used to have a squirrel but it died)

Well, since she is unemployed, she could become a writer, that way she writes maybe a book a week and then gets royalty checks each Sunday for a while. You can also have her collect stuff, bugs and gems, and sell those at the consignment store.

Carl's Sims 3 Guide is an excellent source of information.

Money Making
  • kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited July 2012
    ArietteMay wrote:

Welcome to the forum :D
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
    edited July 2012
    ArietteMay wrote:

Welcome to our little slice of Forum heaven!
    edited July 2012
    Forum heaven? Sounds amazing! :lol:
  • AmairaAmaira Posts: 293 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hey all I'm Amaira. I'm not new to the site or forums but I have usually just lurked. I always avoided the gift forum like the plague because I thought it'd be filled with begging but I was so wrong. This is awesome what everyone is doing and it is so refreshing to see generous people around, sometimes that can be hard to find now. I gotta say I also really really like that it isn't just about gifting that costs money but also the free kind, that kind gets neglected way too much.

Happy simming all and I look forward to being a more active member of this forum :D