Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rem's SMALL CITY PROJECT - Available Again

RemmoRemmo Posts: 597 Member
edited March 1 in Nominated Threads
SmallCityProjectflat.png

Requirements EPs: Base Game, WA, Amb, LN, Gen, Pets, ST, SN, Seas, Univ

Note, I used items from all the stuff packs, but stuff packs are not essential for you to play the world.

A special note:
Skyscraper meshes featured are for decoration only. This world contains no elevators, bridges or appartment doors as these are known to currently risk creating lag and stuck sims.
NOTE: I have spiral staircases in the pier lots. If Sims can't use them, just grab the stairs with the hand tool and pop back into position.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
April 1st Edition available here

Known Bugs:
Solved a routing issue at the pier lots

Recommendations:
Twallen's Overwatch and Story Progession Mods
> If you use these, I also set the maximum pets allowed in NPC families to 1. Not essential but helps ensure the world runs smoothly and married couples can move in together.
> I don't recommend using the traffic mod.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• RemmoRemmo Posts: 597 Member
    edited June 2012
    Okay: I've been playing with this idea for sometime now and have a few clear goals for building this project. I want to share them first, as my concept is a little different to many other projects here.

1) I want to create a great city feel at eye level for my Sim
    > It won't look great from map view, it'll be an effecient use of space over satalite style aesthetics, but I don't spend a whole lot of my gaming time in space looking down, so I'm not too worried about that!
    > It will look great as you play your character and see what they see at street level. You won't need the fastest car to get to work as work won't ever be that far away! Cycle, walk! Give your game time to load up the lots properly as you pass by :)
    > It'll have a city feel, but not the grimy Bridgeport sort. Come on, it's sims! I want colour and feel good factor in my city!!! I want oo blah deeblee doo and .... you get the idea!

2) It will run like a dream!
    > Time and testing will tell... Routing becomes a major issues when things are built tightly together. But I'm on it!!!
    > Meshes yes, elevators, no!!!! Even when elevators work, I just dislike them.
    > No bridges. I know, this saddens me too, but ever since Pet's I've noticed stuck glitches coming from bridges, even when they show clear unbroken routing (the blue and reds) in CaW. Remember, I'm going for smooth running. Funky, sure! But nothing that may cause stamping feet on my sims.

3) Show Time!
    > I'm loving this EP and so it'll mainly be geared to that. It will have as many of the combined rabits as I can fit, a few LN clubs as well.

4) Expandable for future EP's
    I know! Pretty hard for a small build, but I'm including some larger lots that can be bulldosed as new EPs and content become available without harming the Showtime experience.

5) Longevity
    I want to build a world for myself that I love and can run smoothly without the inevitable lag ups that the medium/larger worlds have always brough me after 20, 30+ hours of play time.

At this point, practically everything is against me! But if I can dream it, I can build it!!! :thumbup: So wish me luck and give me any of your ideas. Even if I don't use them it's always good to explore the possibilities.

I'm using all the EP's and SP's released up until Showtime.

No third party cc (nor do I want another debate on this, thanks :wink: )

Any store content will be the stuff that can be downloaded from EA for free.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited May 2012
    Okay, it's DAY ONE of the build... don't have an aweful lot to show yet, mainly just been laying the posh end of the commercial district. As you can see, the map will be divided into 4 zones which will have different feels and a superhighway linking them all.

Screenshot-8.jpg"width=600"

As my world is geared to Show Time, I really wanted to go to town on the movie theatre, I couldn't just leave it as a simple rabbit hole!

Screenshot-3.jpg"width=600"

The live venue, not finished yet, but i quite liked the open green space, it'll be a luxary in this small world!

Screenshot-4.jpg"width=600"

I've included both Show Time Big venues, not strictly necessary, but I'm thinking one can be deleted to reveal a nice juicy 64x64 lot for whatever you like!

Screenshot-5.jpg"width=600
  • KayPapageiKayPapagei Posts: 974 New Member
    edited May 2012
    Ohhh I love it already :D
  • VanillaTwilight93VanillaTwilight93 Posts: 349 Member
    edited May 2012
    It looks really good! Its so cute, can't wait to see more! :mrgreen:
    edited May 2012
    @ KayPapagei and VanillaTwilight93
    Thanks guys, appreciate it :D

Day TWO!!!

Got the basics of the poor end of the commercial sector down now. Taking out deco lots, I've placed about 40 commercial lots. Another 10+ of those are basically just place holders for future content ranging from 30 x 20 all the way to 64x64.

I hope having so many won't impact on game performance :? I certainly discovered that I had room for way more lots than I thought I would on a small build!!!

Here's a few flavour flicks, but please bare in mind I haven't added much detail yet.

Screenshot-10.jpg"width=600"

Screenshot-9.jpg"width=600"

And some street level ones. I love the advertising boards, these will really help with the city look when crowded together.

Screenshot-12.jpg"width=600"

Screenshot-11.jpg"width=600"

Won't be building much tomorrow, but Day Three will see the beginnings of the poorer residential area. I'm a bit commercial lotted out right now!

• bogglemanboggleman Posts: 668 Member
    edited May 2012
    This reminds me of Ripley's Believe it or not :)
  • KayPapageiKayPapagei Posts: 974 New Member
    edited May 2012
    I already said I like this, but I reeeaallyyy like it. I think it's a fantastic idea. I'm always wanting to try out a bit of city life but I don't like playing huge worlds, they never feel right. Looking forward to trying this out, You're working so quickly on it :D
    edited May 2012
    Hehe, thanks K!

I am quite shocked myself at just how many hours I've managed to sink into this build over the last couple of days. I've practically done nothing else :oops:

Luckily, a mate is dragging me out today, otherwise I'd end up with the stir crazy moodlet! :wink:

I have to move fast because I know full well I'll get another idea popping into my head that will endanger this one :twisted: So my plan is to get all the basics in place quickly. Then I'll actually build more of the lot details in game as I play so that I can instantly test for routing issues and make the sim families I'll Porter in once I've finalised the build.

@boggleman
    Ripley's? I'm affraid the only Ripley I know is the one that keeps us safe from aliens :wink: But if Ripley's is a good thing, then thanks :thumbup:
  • AustralorpAustralorp Posts: 1,171 New Member
    edited May 2012
    Wow, awesome world. :D
  • thesimlingthesimling Posts: 4,486 New Member
    edited May 2012
    Bookmarked.
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited May 2012
    Looks great at both street and city view. ;) Looking forward to seeing more.
    edited May 2012
    Overal picture update, second post.
  • bogglemanboggleman Posts: 668 Member
    edited May 2012
    Remmo wrote:
    Hehe, thanks K!

I am quite shocked myself at just how many hours I've managed to sink into this build over the last couple of days. I've practically done nothing else :oops:

Luckily, a mate is dragging me out today, otherwise I'd end up with the stir crazy moodlet! :wink:

I have to move fast because I know full well I'll get another idea popping into my head that will endanger this one :twisted: So my plan is to get all the basics in place quickly. Then I'll actually build more of the lot details in game as I play so that I can instantly test for routing issues and make the sim families I'll Porter in once I've finalised the build.

@boggleman
    Ripley's? I'm affraid the only Ripley I know is the one that keeps us safe from aliens :wink: But if Ripley's is a good thing, then thanks :thumbup:
    Ripleys-Believe or not is like the Guinness book of world records but for wachy things......
    edited May 2012
    I got a lot further down the line with this build and decided to finally run it as a live version.

It was then, to my utter horror, that I released my dream is yet to be realised.

In an attempt to give some sort of interest to the cityscape, I had included split level areas. But driving up and down them just lead to strange and unpleasing camera angles with clipping through the tightly packed buildings.

Also, the same old bugbear of lots not loading fast enough as you drive past, blurring the city feel I wanted to achieve. I think I'm going to have to totally restructure along the lines of using mainly 60x60 lots to force the image load in time before the sim has completely travelled past in their vehicle.

So the men in hard hats have called a halt to the building work. Gutted after all the many days I put into it. But the town council thinks it'll be ultimately more productive to level everything and start again.

I shall post again when I have something better :D
  • hugzandpipes1hugzandpipes1 Posts: 128 New Member
    edited May 2012
    Oh no Remmo, that must be so disappointing for you. It's good that you are determined for it to work and willing to fix it. Looking forward to seeing it again!
  • AnneMarit2AnneMarit2 Posts: 173 Member
    edited May 2012
    Remmo wrote:
    I got a lot further down the line with this build and decided to finally run it as a live version.

It was then, to my utter horror, that I released my dream is yet to be realised.

In an attempt to give some sort of interest to the cityscape, I had included split level areas. But driving up and down them just lead to strange and unpleasing camera angles with clipping through the tightly packed buildings.

Also, the same old bugbear of lots not loading fast enough as you drive past, blurring the city feel I wanted to achieve. I think I'm going to have to totally restructure along the lines of using mainly 60x60 lots to force the image load in time before the sim has completely travelled past in their vehicle.

So the men in hard hats have called a halt to the building work. Gutted after all the many days I put into it. But the town council thinks it'll be ultimately more productive to level everything and start again.

I shall post again when I have something better :D

Oh, no! And I who have fallen in love with this at third sight. First I was like; nah, not liking it, and at second sight; nah, looks nice enough, but still not my kind of world. And now, looking at you screens again, SOOOOO totally wanted to start playing Sims again after a few months break. Just because of this genius little gem.

So, please please please finnish it. I understand the issues you have described, but I still hope this is just a bump in the road and that you stick to the project!!! And also, I would love playing it as it is now (if what you said: "I got a lot further down the line with this build and decided to finally run it as a live version." means that you have a playable version)

Anyhow, please keep up the gooood work. I am totally in love :thumbup:
  • tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited May 2012
    Remmo wrote:

You have just discovered that to pull this off, you are going to have to use cc...
    edited May 2012
    AnneMarit2: So, please please please finnish it.

Hehe. Well ... I started a new version from scratch, two actually, but after they started taking shape I realised that I actually quite liked the original better :D So I will be finishing it afteral. I've flattened out most of the troublesome areas that were causing clipping. There's just one left in the commercial sector, but I can live with that.

Also removed the one bridge I had in game. Despite what appeared to be clean routing data, and several days of sims quite happily walking across unhindered, I ended up with a stuck foot stamping pap on it. So it's gone.

I still need to finish off the residentials in the wealthier region (that'll take me a while as it's my least favourite part of building), and design the families for pre-population. Also a few minor things like giving propper street names, descriptions etc.

But shouldn't be too long, now. I'll do a propper picture update soon when I run the final build for testing.
  • AnneMarit2AnneMarit2 Posts: 173 Member
    edited May 2012
    Remmo wrote:
    But shouldn't be too long, now. I'll do a propper picture update soon when I run the final build for testing.

Yiiihaa! *me doing embarrasing cowboy dance of joy*

:oops:
    edited May 2012
    Second Post Updated with latest build pic.

I've pretty much finished the build now. I'm just continuing to test for any problems that might reveal themselves over time and balancing the population (as the it'll come pre-populated).

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the end result and it has heaps of space to be developed (currently hidden with deco lots).
  • katana_xkatana_x Posts: 1,163 New Member
    edited May 2012
    It's looking great!
    edited May 2012
    Had a quick scoot around town on my moped on the way home from a few clubs. Thought I'd share the pics :D Sorry they're all at night!!!

Tiger Bar
    Screenshot-36.jpg"width=500"

VIP section
    Screenshot-35.jpg"width=500"

The Beach side
    Screenshot-33.jpg"width=500"

Commercial side of town
    Screenshot-31.jpg"width=500"

The creek
    Screenshot-30.jpg"width=500"

Posher residential side of town
    Screenshot-29.jpg"width=500"

The Highway
    Screenshot-28.jpg"width=500"

And at ground level
    Screenshot-17.jpg"width=500"

Dashing off at the next exit!
    Screenshot-18.jpg"width=500"

The Big Venues
    Screenshot-27.jpg"width=500"

Civic Area
    Screenshot-26.jpg"width=500"

Movie Complex
    Screenshot-15.jpg"width=500"

Poorer side of town
    Screenshot-25.jpg"width=500"

My street, amost home!
    Screenshot-20.jpg"width=500"

Hurrah!
    Screenshot-19.jpg"width=500"
  • MairmaladeMairmalade Posts: 44
    edited May 2012
    Wow, this looks like so much fun! :) Very nice work with this. It's amazing how fast some world builders are.

Looking forward to playing it!
  • Lennon777Lennon777 Posts: 786 New Member
    edited May 2012
    Looks very excellent indeed!
    edited May 2012
    Thanks guys :thumbup:

I've decided to place some more residentials for prepopulated larger families, as I wasn't happy in testing with the turn out at hotspot venues.

I wanted to purposefully leave lots of space for people to add their own favourite homes and cover these with deco lots, but I think I'll have to change the plan a little. There's always the option to bulldoze :wink:

I've about 19 families at the moment and despite only having 3 Night Life venues, the ones featuring as hot spots weren't as busy as I would have liked, pulling only around 4 guests each. I'd like to try and get it up to 6-8.

At the moment I have a dance club, pool club, Karaoke bar and Nectary that seem to feature as the hot spot venues. If adding a few more larger households of adults doesn't help, I'll probably remove the nectary and see if that helps.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top