Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ZooProfessor's Beginning Builder's University: Complete Build a Farm course (links post 1)

Comments

• Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited January 2012
    Hello Class!

Hope everyone had a great week! Lesson 3 coming right up!
    oow785m
  • Options
    MariskaAmyMariskaAmy Posts: 901 Member
    edited January 2012
    Kevin and me are here n_n
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    `Wow haha xD Just doing the attic is gnna take me ages.. *has just finished the bathroom there*
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    MariskaAmy wrote:
    `Wow haha xD Just doing the attic is gnna take me ages.. *has just finished the bathroom there*

That's a great point, Mariska! If you wanted to skip the interior decoration and go to the work on the landscaping and exterior builds you could do that and then go back to work on the landscaping when you have the time to stop and think.

This is a BIG house (four bedrooms) and it should take some time to really decorate it all to suit you! :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Wow, I don't know WHAT happened here!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Wow, I don't know WHAT happened here!
    `

Did Liam happen? He's been doing it to me lots lately.. :roll:

Anyways, its late here, but meh, its a saturday, so imma take my time anyways haha =3 Just finished the attic, and I actually adore it :oops: . Never liked my rooms as much, but I guess I'm either expecting less and less from myself, or am actually getting better n_n Gnna just keep on doing the lesson step by step.

*glances over at Kevins screen*
    He seems to be doing quite alrite as well ^^ Still working on his attic =3
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Mariska, you and Kevin have the right idea. This should be FUN, so take your time and enjoy it. No one has a stop watch on you! :mrgreen:

EDIT:
    And of COURSE you're getting better! The way to get good at building is to build and you have been.
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Here is the Exchange link for my finished farm:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5105274

Screenshot-223-1-1.jpg
    Post edited by ZooProfessor3 on
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Love how you use walls to seperate the toilet from the rest of the bathroom. Copied that off you, wouldnt of thought of that myself n_n
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    MariskaAmy wrote:
    Love how you use walls to seperate the toilet from the rest of the bathroom. Copied that off you, wouldnt of thought of that myself n_n

You see that in a lot of fancy home builds. It's a "privacy wall" and sometimes they use a full wall, sometimes a half-wall, and sometimes it's like its own little room with a door and everything.

I think the idea of the room inside a room is that if two people share a bathroom and one is brushing his teeth when the other has to answer nature's call, you can both use the bathroom at the same time and still have some privacy.

I'm glad you learned something new (and I hope that wasn't the ONLY thing you learned today! :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Oh it wont be ^^ I've just finished some rooms on the first floor, the 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Love using that wallthing in the bathrooms, makes it look so much better! Gnna figure out how to do the music room next..

*glances over at Kevins screen*
    He got fed up with decorating and continued with the landscaping, seems to be doing alrite on the garage at the moment =3
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Could you give me some pointers on how to decorate/furnish a porch area? I'm working on the upstairs one and I'm baffled.. Don't know what to do with the space whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    MariskaAmy wrote:
    Could you give me some pointers on how to decorate/furnish a porch area? I'm working on the upstairs one and I'm baffled.. Don't know what to do with the space whatsoever.

What I do with a porch depends on the style of house. For this house, it's a big old-fashioned farmhouse, and it just cries out for a lot of room to sit and visit and drink a cold lemonade.

I wish there were rocking chairs in the Sims 3, because that is what would go great here.

Failing that I put seating clusters just as if it were an outdoor living room. I like lots of plants on the porch and I like the furniture to coordinate in color and style with the exterior of the house.

I like to use outdoor rugs, and always a "welcome mat", on a build like this. I also like outdoor easels on sunny balconies. And I like to put a telescope up high, too, preferably on a porch or balcony without a roof so the whole night sky is available for viewing.

Can't wait to see your farm! (And Kevin's, of course). :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for the response ^^ Think I'll be able to make something out of that advice.

Sorry for going without notice, it was getting really late (1:30 am) and we needed some sleep, will try to finish the house today though =3
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    MariskaAmy wrote:
    Thanks for the response ^^ Think I'll be able to make something out of that advice.

Sorry for going without notice, it was getting really late (1:30 am) and we needed some sleep, will try to finish the house today though =3

You SLEEP when you could SIM? I never heard of anything so outrageous! LOL!

The great thing is that the Zoo U lessons are up there for whenever you have time to work on them. I can't wait to see your farm! :D
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    MariskaAmy wrote:

You SLEEP when you could SIM? I never heard of anything so outrageous! LOL!

The great thing is that the Zoo U lessons are up there for whenever you have time to work on them. I can't wait to see your farm! :D

Hehe.. I know I'm like the most screwed up person ever for sleeping! ;)

I've almost finished my farm, just landscaping to do now =3 This last lesson is sooo long though xD didn't expect that. Then again, I didnt expect an entire farm in 3 lessons either ='D

Rlly hope the next course will be up soon! Im so enjoying this xD
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I had intended the last lesson to be two lessons, to be honest, but then I realized one of them would have been nothing much but "here, see how I decorated this floor" since I didn't want everyone to do EXACTLY the same thing on the interior decor of the house.

I finally just decided to put everything into one lesson, but it is super-sized when you try to actually do all the stuff. It's like a lesson and then a triple-size homework added up together.

If my guest lecturer can get her lesson together I think Zoo U will be back in about two weeks. If you have never played with the Constrain Floor Elevation (CFE) cheat, that one is not to be missed!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I was hoping to see some farms posted by now. Any students out there who have finished all three lessons?
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I've had really horrid hours in college, so havent finished landscaping yet, neither has Kevin. We're planning to work on it tonite though! ^^

EDIT: Finished my farm! Will be putting together a presentation asap =3
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    MariskaAmy wrote:
    I've had really horrid hours in college, so havent finished landscaping yet, neither has Kevin. We're planning to work on it tonite though! ^^

EDIT: Finished my farm! Will be putting together a presentation asap =3

WHOOT! Can't wait to see! Please post in this thread so your classmates can see, too. :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Finished the presentation!!

Click here for the presentation

Click here for the download

I've really enjoyed this course! Thanks a lot for all your efforts Zoo!

Kevin is still not done with his farm, but he's been busy making a website, and those two dont really mix hehe ^^
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    MariskaAmy wrote:

Kevin is still not done with his farm, but he's been busy making a website, and those two dont really mix hehe ^^

I'm so proud of you! What a beautiful farm! A+ performance for sure.

I have left you a rec on your build. I especially love your landscaping. Great job.
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    MariskaAmy wrote:

I'm so proud of you! What a beautiful farm! A+ performance for sure.

I have left you a rec on your build. I especially love your landscaping. Great job.

thank you! =] I'm quite proud of it myself, will deffo use it in my game!

Learned a lot in this course, thanks for sharing your skills with me and the rest of class =3
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ah, thanks, Mariska! It means a lot to me to hear you say that. I remember your saying that you had a tough week at college and that slowed you up finishing your farm. You might like to know that my college students think it is hilarious that I am addicted to Sims 3 and they thought it was EXTRA hilarious that I was going to teach a class on this site! :mrgreen:

I have been so happy with the response to Zoo U and I hope people will continue to take the courses and learn more about building.

I'm looking forward to being a student this next time! I can already use CFE, but I'm sure I'll still pick up some useful stuff from the class. We're lucky to have a great builder like Svlyn as our teacher.
    oow785m
  • Options
    LaughingJacksLaughingJacks Posts: 160 New Member
    edited February 2012
    I have been working on mine for the past couple hours and have to finish landscaping and decorate the first and second floor. I have not been all that inspired or motivated this week, so hopefully I will be able to finish it tomorrow or Sunday sometime.

I am very excited about the next CFE course, and nervous, so many things can go wrong when you build a house with it...

Thank you for Professor Z!