Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ZooProfessor's Beginning Builder's University: Complete Build a Farm course (links post 1)

Comments

• MariskaAmyMariskaAmy Posts: 901 Member
    edited January 2012
    Gnna be actually attending again tonite ^^ As will Kevin. Just hope my game doesnt act up, had to go through some trouble to get it running after installing Master Suite this morning..
  • AZSpudKingAZSpudKing Posts: 146 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Sorry for being late to register. Very busy with work and It's been cutting into my Sims time. I will be here.
  • ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited January 2012
    MariskaAmy wrote:
    4th page? Dont think so!

LOL! Thanks, Mariska!
    oow785m
    edited January 2012
    Register me!

Done! Welcome to Zoo U!

If you haven't done the previous lessons (especially Lesson 2) you will need to do that before starting with this lesson. The good thing is that all the step by step lessons are available. See the first post in this thread for direct links to those lessons. :D
    oow785m
    edited January 2012
    AZSpudKing wrote:
    Sorry for being late to register. Very busy with work and It's been cutting into my Sims time. I will be here.

No problem, SpudKing! I'm just happy to have you back! Consider yourself registered. :D
    oow785m
    edited August 2014
    1. You must have done Lesson 2 before you can do Lesson 3 since we are modifying and decorating the farmhouse we built in Lesson 2. If you have not done the previous lessons, you will find links for them in the first post of this thread.

2. Boot up your game.

3. In the Main Menu, open the cheat box and type in “TestingCheatsEnabled true” without quotes

4. Open the cheat box and type in “buyDebug on” without quotes

5. Open your saved game from your farmhouse build.

Screenshot.jpg

We are going to modify and decorate this house, but this lesson is not intended to tell all the details for interior decorating. It is intended to be more a general building lesson. The interior decoration and design part of the lesson isn’t as step-by-step as the rest of the lesson.

6. Go to the attic just under the roof.
    Screenshot-2.jpg

7. Add walls as shown
    Screenshot-3.jpg

Screenshot-4.jpg

8. Cover walls to match other attic walls

Screenshot-5.jpg

Screenshot-6.jpg

Post edited by ZooProfessor3 on
    oow785m
    edited August 2014
    9. Delete to make attic one space

Screenshot-7.jpg

10. This attic room could be a lot of things but ours is going to be a really nice art studio. Decorate it and furnish it as such. Tiled floors are a good idea so that artistic messes can be easily cleaned. Good lighting, storage for supplies (so we might put cabinets or chests), a sink should be handy for clean ups, and artistic equipment of all kinds should provided. A bathroom is a good idea and lots of nice light colored walls for display of artwork would be good, too. A desk with computer (for Internet research and for digital artwork) is a good item for the art studio. Here are photos of my version of this space (yours doesn’t have to look like mine).

Screenshot-8.jpg

Screenshot-9.jpg

Screenshot-10.jpg

Screenshot-11.jpg

Screenshot-12.jpg

oow785m
    edited August 2014
    11. Here is more of my version of the attic

Screenshot-13.jpg

Screenshot-14.jpg

Screenshot-15.jpg

Screenshot-16.jpg

Screenshot-17.jpg

Screenshot-18.jpg

12. The second floor is going to be bedrooms, bathrooms, and a music room. I made a master bedroom suite and it has a tiny private balcony. The attic could have been made private if we put the stairs inside a bedroom, but this time I chose to make it accessible to the whole family so I put the stairs in the music room. I like to put Sim-painted work all over my lots and I don’t like huge expanses of empty walls. Remember: Do NOT frame your Sim-painted works or they won’t upload. You can frame if you never plan to upload. I have a LOT of second floor photos, so they will continue into the next post.

Screenshot-19.jpg

Screenshot-20.jpg

Screenshot-21.jpg

Screenshot-22.jpg

Screenshot-23.jpg

oow785m
    edited August 2014
    Screenshot-25.jpg

Screenshot-26.jpg

Screenshot-27.jpg

Screenshot-28.jpg

Screenshot-29.jpg

Screenshot-30.jpg

Screenshot-31.jpg

Screenshot-32.jpg

Screenshot-33.jpg

Screenshot-35.jpg

Screenshot-36.jpg

Notice how I put stuff sitting on most horizontal surfaces? I want it to look like someone really lives here. I like to put books on bedside tables, perfume bottles on dressers, things that you would actually see in someone's home.

Also, let's talk for a second about color. I like to take one or two colors (here that would be green and yellow since many of my rooms have those doors with the green and yellow stained glass in them) and use them in a harmonious way throughout all the rooms in a home. I don't ALWAYS do that, and certainly having a room or two with very little of those colors will make that room pop out and get noticed, but it is a good way to have a house without glaring, screaming color clashes.

For brand new decorators it isn't a bad idea to try this.

oow785m
    edited August 2014
    13. Add a back door out of the kitchen, a back porch, a set of back stairs, and two small round windows so the bathroom has some natural light.

Screenshot-38.jpg

Screenshot-39.jpg

Screenshot-44.jpg

Screenshot-45.jpg

Screenshot-49.jpg

Screenshot-50.jpg

Screenshot-51.jpg

oow785m
    edited August 2014
    14. The first floor has an entryway, kitchen, dining room, and stairs to the basement recreation room. My version is here.

Screenshot-52.jpg

Screenshot-53.jpg

Screenshot-54.jpg

Screenshot-55.jpg

Screenshot-56.jpg

Screenshot-57.jpg

Screenshot-58.jpg

Screenshot-59.jpg

Screenshot-60.jpg

Screenshot-61.jpg

Screenshot-62.jpg

Screenshot-63.jpg

Screenshot-64.jpg

Screenshot-65.jpg

Screenshot-66.jpg

Screenshot-68.jpg

On this floor I still used shades of yellow and green (on the second floor green is predominant and here yellow is) but the living room with the red walls doesn't look out of place because the yellow and green are still used (the green as a secondary accent color).

Even with the same colors used, making the patterns interesting should keep the interiors from getting visually boring (and if they are boring, introduce more accent colors or deeper shades of one of your main theme colors). I really like making new rugs by layering one rug on top of another (my photos of this aren't great, but look at the entryway rugs, including the one right in front of the front door). That is one of my favorite decorating tips.

oow785m
    edited August 2014
    Here is a long shot of the first floor.

Screenshot-69.jpg

15. Cover the ground with red tiles of 27 across the front and 35 along the right side of the lot in the front right corner. This is just to make placement of the driveway easier. We’ll delete it later.

Screenshot-70.jpg

Screenshot-71.jpg

16. Create a driveway by changing the style of the tiles along the edge of the property. Driveway is along the right edge and size is 4 X 35.

Screenshot-73.jpg

Screenshot-74.jpg

17. Add Fence

Screenshot-75.jpg

18. Delete pieces

Screenshot-76.jpg

19. Add pieces back

Screenshot-77.jpg

oow785m
    edited August 2014
    20. More of the 4 tile wide driveway

Screenshot-79.jpg

21. Add fencing along right edge of lot

Screenshot-81.jpg

22. Delete fence pieces
    Screenshot-82.jpg

23. Add fence pieces back in
    Screenshot-83.jpg

24. Reorient

Screenshot-84.jpg

25. Extend drive to left edge of property

Screenshot-85.jpg

26. Reorient and add fencing (deleting pieces and adding pieces back in) so it looks as shown

Screenshot-86.jpg

Screenshot-88.jpg

oow785m
    edited August 2014
    27. Add more fencing as shown

Screenshot-90.jpg

Screenshot-91.jpg

28. Delete red spacing tiles

Screenshot-93.jpg

29. Add 10X2 piece of driveway (leave 2 spaces between left edge of lot and new driveway tiles)

Screenshot-97.jpg

30. Build a 10 X 10 square of walled garage.

Screenshot-98.jpg

31. Build a 6 X 10 second floor

Screenshot-100.jpg

Screenshot-103.jpg

oow785m
    edited August 2014
    32. Add gable half-roofs as shown.

Screenshot-105.jpg

Screenshot-106.jpg

Screenshot-107.jpg

33. Add gable roof.

Screenshot-108.jpg

Screenshot-109.jpg

34. Adjust individual roof heights (lower to get them to look as shown)

Screenshot-112.jpg

Screenshot-113.jpg

35. I used Survival Windows under gable roof on the upper story

Screenshot-115.jpg

Screenshot-116.jpg

36. Add Garage Doors

Screenshot-117.jpg

Screenshot-120.jpg

oow785m
    edited August 2014
    37. Add Windows and back door to garage (I used Stray Windows and Dorky Door)

Screenshot-124.jpg

38. Add Gate

Screenshot-125.jpg

39. Add driveway pieces as shown

Screenshot-126.jpg

Screenshot-127.jpg

40. Side the garage with whatever siding you wish.

Screenshot-131.jpg

Screenshot-132.jpg

Screenshot-133.jpg

Screenshot-134.jpg

41. I like these windows better for front and back of the garage.

Screenshot-135.jpg

Screenshot-137.jpg
    42. Add back patio and lights

Screenshot-138.jpg

43. Go inside the garage and add parking spots for cars

Screenshot-140.jpg

Screenshot-141.jpg

oow785m
    edited August 2014
    44. Add wall coverings inside and lights and workshop items (or bike racks or storage, whatever would look good in a garage). Make a space so you can add stairs and upstairs flooring (do whatever you would like with the extra room, storage is always good and so is any sort of hobby or collector room).

Screenshot-143.jpg

Screenshot-144.jpg

Screenshot-145.jpg

Screenshot-146.jpg

Screenshot-147.jpg

45. Lay out 10 or more sprinklers and have your Sim upgrade them all to auto-water. We’ll put them in the garden later.

Screenshot-150.jpg

46. Got to back of lot

Screenshot-151.jpg

47. Add fencing (deleting and replacing as usual to make it look like this)

Screenshot-153.jpg

48. I don’t like this bit of fencing as I can’t gate it. I’m going to delete it.

Screenshot-156.jpg

Screenshot-155.jpg

49. Put squares of floor tile around the fenced area behind the garage and use the dirt and dark dirt terrain paints to get it to look like nice fertile ground. Remove the squares of floor tile as that was just a mask for your painting so it doesn’t put dirt spots in your yard.

Screenshot-157.jpg

Screenshot-158.jpg

50. Go into buyDebug and get plants for the garden. The orchard and garden are actually huge here. Later if you want to cut it in half and put a play yard for children in there that would be okay. Move the sprinklers into place. If more sprinklers are needed upgrade them first and then install them (make sure every single square of harvestable plants is within the range of one of your sprinklers.

Screenshot-161.jpg

Screenshot-163.jpg

Screenshot-164.jpg

oow785m
    edited August 2014
    51. Never put in a garden or a laundry room on a lot until the very end of a build. Otherwise you’ll have a Tester Sim who will get to do nothing but tend the garden and you will run the risk of leaving dirty clothes (or a washer full of clothes) on a lot if you upload it.

52. Reorient

Screenshot-167.jpg

53. This next part is more of an art than a science. Make a pool as shown (the shape does NOT have to be exactly like mine, but make sure it is an irregular shape with lots of rounded edges).

Screenshot-197.jpg

Screenshot-198.jpg

Screenshot-199.jpg

54. Screenshot-200.jpg

Screenshot-201.jpg

Screenshot-202.jpg

Screenshot-206.jpg

Screenshot-207.jpg

Screenshot-208.jpg

Screenshot-209.jpg

55. Make sure one side of the pool has a ladder and that the Sims can get to it. Around the edges of the pool, use the pond tool to sink the ground under water. Recolor the pool sides and bottom to match the pond. Use terrain paints (river rocks, dirt, and shale are good choices) to edge the pond. Use MOO to add rocks and foliage and to disguise the pool edges. TURN OFF YOUR MOO AFTER USING!

Screenshot-211.jpg

Screenshot-212.jpg

Screenshot-213.jpg

Screenshot-214.jpg

Screenshot-215.jpg

Screenshot-216.jpg

Screenshot-217.jpg

Screenshot-218.jpg

Screenshot-219.jpg

Screenshot-220.jpg

oow785m
    edited August 2014
    56. Use the fish spawners in buyDebug to stock your pond. Notice how you can see the spawners in Buy or Build Mode, but they are invisible in Live Mode when you are playing your game. Warning: spawners add to the size of the lot so if you plan to upload your farm, don’t put twenty of these. Five or Six at the very MOST should be plenty. Since we hid our pool inside our pond we have a "swimmable pond" and your Sims can swim and fish right on their own lot!

Screenshot-220.jpg

Screenshot-221.jpg

Screenshot-222.jpg

57. Here are some lovely farm views!

Screenshot-226.jpg

Screenshot-223.jpg

Screenshot-230.jpg

58. Thank you so much for participating in ZooProfessor’s Beginning Builder’s University! This was our first course, but there are more to come if people are interested.

Please post in this thread with your completed farm pictures and please let me know any comments that you have about Zoo U.

Our next class will likely be in a few weeks and we will have a Guest Lecturer! The lesson is on the Constrain Floor Elevation Off cheat and Svlyn, who is a FABULOUS builder (and a really great person) will be teaching us all about that very useful building cheat. I’m really looking forward to it.

I will post a link for that lesson in THIS THREAD, so be on the lookout for it!

CONGRATULATIONS ON FINISHING YOUR FARM!

That is quite an accomplishment and you all should be suitably proud!

oow785m
    edited January 2012
    Reserved (this will be Lesson 3 in a few minutes!)
    oow785m
  • mvandemvande Posts: 8,587 Member
    edited January 2012
    This is really cool. I might have already told you, but I HAVE to tell you again. I LOVE this idea.
    edited January 2012
    mvande wrote:
    This is really cool. I might have already told you, but I HAVE to tell you again. I LOVE this idea.

Thanks, GG! It has been a lot of work (but fun) and I really hope people feel as if their time has been well spent!

Thanks again, Team Mate!
    oow785m
  • WibbleLikeAJellyWibbleLikeAJelly Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited January 2012
    Hey Prof Zoo! :D
  • mvandemvande Posts: 8,587 Member
    edited January 2012
    4 minutes
  • alley5343alley5343 Posts: 303 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I am here. I never turned in my homework but I did it. I will try to get the pictures posted before class starts.