Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vargfjell, the Rugged Land of Vikings and Tyrants

Comments

• Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited January 2012
    I am already in love with it. The snowy parts remind me of Switzerland. I love the way you decorate the homes too. I love all of your worlds! LOL I wanna to play it now!!!

Those buildings are beautiful !
  • renasarenasa Posts: 156
    edited January 2012
    I like the name : Vargfjell (it is norway :D )
    I like the map of the world, but goth and this style is not my style, unfortunately
    Snow and all are so greit, but no.
    I like it, but no...

• jona67jona67 Posts: 259 New Member
    edited January 2012
    WOW!

• QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
    edited January 2012
    This part of the walled city did not come out as well as the first part I built (it is going to be broken down into four parts of slight distinction). Only one of these buildings is furnished. I'll do most of the interior design later.
    Screenshot-87-1.jpg
    Screenshot-86-1.jpg
    Thank you for the compliments by the way. If anyone has any interesting suggestions, I would be happy to take them.
  • citytubecitytube Posts: 458 Member
    edited January 2012
    I love this and it is bookmarked for when you are done. I am playing Fortress Rock right now and I am loving it. I added a small horse farm and it has been a ball playing it. Thanks for such a nice world and looking forward to this new one.
  • ashleyadorableashleyadorable Posts: 7,254 Member
    edited January 2012
    This..this is getting better and better :shock: Also, I almost thought you were crazy when I saw the pool, but it's in a dome so :thumbup: :lol: I LOVE the pool so so so much! This is just...*faints*
    edited January 2012
    Thank you. I'm happy you like what I did so far. I figured that I would use the domes to my advantage in this world since the climate is not in favor of plant life. I'm also happy to hear that Fortress Rock is playable. All I was getting from people so far was "it looks great" and "it crashes my game on the loading screen."
  • NofravellNofravell Posts: 975 Member
    edited January 2012
    gh0ul wrote:
    Nofravell: Yep; "varg" is also used in Norwegian, although "ulv" would be the most common name of it nowadays (which I believe is the opposite in Sweden?). It's also a male name, albeit rare - if you don't count black metal pseudonyms, of course. :-)

Yes,'varg' is the word we use for wolf today, but if you look in older text and runestones, 'ulv' does show up once in awhile. But those text are usualy so old that the count as 'Old Norse' wich was spoken in most (if not all) parts of The North back in the days of the Vikings. :)

And Quailhogs; where did you get the idea of making this world Norweigan? :)
    edited January 2012
    Originally I wanted to make a Castle Town in Germany; however, I also figured I should make it perpetually snowy to contrast it further from my other two worlds. Norway seemed like a far more appropriate place for said climate. Also, I intended for the world to be in a basin and not a mountain; however, I accidentally placed the castle town near the edge of the map, so it is now the second.
  • niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited January 2012
    This really looks good. You're latest update reminds me of the Architecture of my WIP World, Godric's Hollow
    edited January 2012
    niac1234: Thank you. I've had many people allude my buildings to Harry Potter. I always liked the tone that type of architecture set off.

Here's an odd house I made. I actually made a couple of others similar to this in Twinbrook. It introduces some space for gardening since it would just look stupid to grow watermelons in the snow.
    Screenshot-70.jpg
    Screenshot-71-1.jpg
    Here is the town harbor.
    Screenshot-97-1.jpg
  • bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited January 2012
    Later, can you tell me where you got those snow textures? Those are perfect textures for the snow story mode world I've been imagining!
    edited January 2012
    The snow terrain may be found here: http://emmies.dreamwidth.org/?style=light
    It was extracted from bridgeport. You may want to mix some other textures with it so that it doesn't look too bright.

edited February 2012
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • NofravellNofravell Posts: 975 Member
    edited February 2012
    Coming out nicley I see. I like the house with room for gardening. Mostly because almost all of my sims garden.

Oh and btw, I've been playing Fortress Rock Beta 2 for a while now, and it's working smooth, some lagging now and then but nothing biggy :D
  • gh0ulgh0ul Posts: 26
    edited February 2012
    Love how it looks so far! The architecture, feel and climate are without a doubt up my alley. I love how the tall buildings at the harbor remind me of Bergen. I'm really looking forward to this one! I not so secretly hope you make custom rabbit holes, though!

As I'm a grammar 🐸🐸🐸🐸 when it comes to the Norwegian language, though, I can't let the name "Bakken Hus" slide past me. :P
    While "Ground House" does indeed directly translate into "Bakke Hus", it doesn't make sense to say it in Norwegian. "Bakken" refers to a hill; unless one include the preposition "på" (eng.: "on") in which one then would refer to the ground. So if you'd want to say "The house on the ground", for instance, that would translate into "Huset på bakken" (or "Huset paa bakken" if you wouldn't want to use non-English letters). "Bakkehuset", which would be a more correct rewriting of "Bakken Hus" would refer to a house on a hill.

I hope I don't come across as too annoying, but I can't help going bananas each time I come across obvious use of Google Translate. :wink:

If you do wish your wonderful world to include correct usage of the language, I'd love to help you with the translations. :-)
    edited February 2012
    Nofravell: I'm happy you like it. Gardening space may be a bit of a challenge with this world. I attempted to make a gardening structure for a house in the castle town and it came out just awful. By the way, the final version of Fortress Rock is out if you wish to play it... of course that would mean trashing whatever save files you have already.

gh0ul: Thank you. Unfortunately I am not making custom rabbit holes; all techniques people use to make them tend to bother me. As for the poor translation, I was expecting that to happen sooner or latter. I'll have to go change that. Perhaps when I decide a name for all of the buildings, I'll list them and have somebody who is fluent translate them for me. Thank you for pointing that out though.
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, my mind is pretty much void of any creativity right now. I need names for each of the following houses, they being part of the four different districts of castle town. I'll also need somebody to translate the names I choose into Norwegian. I'll give you credit since it doesn't take too much effort on my part to put a couple of names on the front page.
    Scholar District House:
    Screenshot-140.jpg
    Artist District House (kind of ugly, I'll admit):
    Screenshot-141-1.jpg
    Military District House:
    Screenshot-142-2.jpg
    Entertainment District House:
    Screenshot-139-1.jpg
  • Changeling3Changeling3 Posts: 195 Member
    edited February 2012
    Hey, I love your lots in your various worlds, do you mind if I use them in the series of worlds that I'm going to build (I'm going to make them so you can follow the world throughout various parts of history)?
  • Sam_Is_GreatSam_Is_Great Posts: 2,189 Member
    edited February 2012
    If you're stuck for names you could always try names from Norse mythology. It's a bit of a cliche, but it would save translating the names.

But anyway, will you be getting Showtime? I'm on the fence on whether to get it or not, but if Vargfjell requires it, I definitely will. Though from what I've seen, it would seem out of place for Vargfjell and your other worlds, not to mention hard to incorporate.
    edited February 2012
    Changeling3: You are free to use anything I upload in your world, so long as you give me credit for them.

Sam_Is_Great: I'll consider that; I don't care if something is cliche. I'll admit that I overuse them a bit anyway. I do not have plans to incorporate Showtime in my world. I've had complaints that people cannot download my worlds since they include so many expansion packs. Since I already used items from all of the games I own so far in this world, they will be required, but I have no plans on including items from any expansion packs I haven't already... if that makes an ounce of sense.

My next world (if I still have the patience) will not require any expansion packs for that very reason.
  • LokendraLokendra Posts: 276 New Member
    edited February 2012
    cool worlds always have a great backstory
  • gh0ulgh0ul Posts: 26
    edited February 2012
    Perhaps incorporating some of Scandinavian folklore would be suitable for lot names? A mix between Norse mythology and Scandinavian folklore would be cool, I think. Examples of well known folkloric creatures include amongst others: Huldra, Nøkken/Nykken or Fossegrimen (the first one evil and often depicted as a kelpie), Draugen, Bytting (a changeling), Kraken, Deildegast, Vetter/Vættir, and so forth.
    edited February 2012
    Here's Vargfjell Palace. I kind of gave up on trying to make a traditional castle with guard towers and walls, so I just conjured up this monstrosity instead. It's going to be a pain to furnish.
    Screenshot-144-2.jpg
    I also edited the cathedral so that it looks better. I unfortunately do not have any Gothic windows, so these buildings tend to look extremely inaccurate with Georgian elements (let alone garages and neon lights on some).
    Screenshot-145-2.jpg
    Screenshot-146-1.jpg
    There's also this tower. There is an apartment in the basement. The rest of the building is pretty pointless.
    Screenshot-147-1.jpg
  • LeeMortisLeeMortis Posts: 557 Member
    edited February 2012
    Hi. I love your previous worlds, and this one looks like it will blow me away as much as the others.

Beautiful snowcovered scenery, and I like the norwegian naming of lots and the world itself. It sort of sets the mood of the world, both realistically and in a a fantasy kind of way.

As always, your lots are amazing!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top