March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Make A Specific Pushable Statue Activate A Specific Switch

bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
This tutorial will teach you how to make a specific Pushable Statue activate a specific Floor Switch!
(MAJOR credit & thanks to mikitta47, who inspired this idea to be created!)

screenshot_original.jpg"width=650"

For example, in the above picture, in order to open up the gate to cross the zen garden, you must match each of the 4 colored statues with their corresponding colored Floor Switch! The red statue goes on the red switch, yellow statue on the yellow switch, green on green, and blue on blue.

And, if you try to make the statue activate a different colored Floor Switch, the gate will not unlock!

Read the second post for ideas on how to reveal to the player which Pushable Statue corresponds with which Floor Switch.

Here's what you will need:

•The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack

•The [testingcheatsenabled true] cheat activated

•The [buydebug on] cheat activated

Now, here's what you need to do:

1) First, you'll need to set up however many statues and Floor Switches you want.

Then, go back into the [Debug] section of Buy Mode. You'll need some tomb Processors. Place down 2 Processors for every Floor Switch. Then, place one last extra Processor.

To make things easier to find, you should try doing this: Place each of the two Processors next to the Floor Switch for now. Make sure that the Processor does not disappear, as you'll need to move it later!

screenshot_original.jpg"width=650"

2) Now, you'll need to link stuff up.
Do this to every single Floor Switch:

Ctrl+Shift+Click the Floor Switches:
[Link Triggers...]»[Step Off]

Link it to itself:
[Link to Activated Behavior...]»[Appear]

3) You'll need to do this to the first Processor of each set of two per Floor Switch, and only the first Processor! No other Processors!

Ctrl+Shift+Click every first Processor...
[Set Logic Mode...]»[Toggle-on-Input]

4) Ctrl+Shift+Click every statue...
[Link Triggers...]»[Activated Something Else]

Link each statue to the first Processor of their corresponding Floor Switch...
[Link To Activated Behavior...]»[Tick]

5) Ctrl+Shift+Click every Floor Switch...
[Link Triggers...]»[Step Off]

Link each Floor Switch to its corresponding FIRST Processor...
[Link To Activated Behavior...]»[Reset]

6) Ctrl+Shift+Click every first Processor...
[Link Triggers...]»[Out 0]

Link every first Processor to the corresponding second Processor...
[Link To Activated Behavior...]»[In 0]

7) Now, pay close attention to what you need to do here!
Ctrl+Shift+Click each second Processor...

You need to do this part carefully.
If you have more than one switch, here is how you set this up:

Link the first Second Processor that you use to the central or extra Processor that doesn't correspond with any other Processor, Floor Switch, or Pushable Statue...

Then, link the second Second Processor that you use to the same extra additional Processor...
[Link To Activated Behavior...]»[In 1]

Link the third Second Processor (if you have one) to the extra Processor...
[Link To Activated Behavior...]»[In 2]

If you have them, link the fourth Second Processor to [In 3] on the extra Processor.
Fifth Second Processor to [In 4].
Sixth Second Processor to [In 5].
Seventh Second Processor to [In 6].
And the eighth Second Processor to [In 7].

8) You only need to do this step if you have more than eight Floor Switches.

If you have more than eight, then you'll need to place another additional Processor. Once all of the [In]'s have been used, Ctrl+Shift+Click the Second Additional Processor...
[Link Triggers...]»[Out 1]

Link it to the First Additional Processor...

After that, for the rest of the [In]'s, just keep building up from 1, and do this again if you have more than 15 Floor Switches, and so on.

9) Ctrl+Shift+Click the Additional Processor (or if you have more than one, use the Additional Processor that does NOT trigger another Additional Processor)...

And just link it to whatever you want the Floor Switches to activate!
If you want it to do more than one thing, keep using [Out 0] to link every action. There is no limit to how many actions you can activate!

10) The last step! This may be great, but there's one problem. The tomb Processors may be invisible in Live Mode, but you are not allowed to move a Pushable Statue on top of a grid square containing a tomb Processor. So, you will need to move every tomb Processor out of the way where no Pushable Statue can be placed on top of it.

And you're finished! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited September 2011
    This post will show you ideas on how to reveal to the player which statue corresponds with which Floor Switch.
    If you have any additional ideas, please feel free to say so out loud on this thread, and I will try and add your idea to this list! Pictures of your method might help people understand! Please read entry guidelines at bottom of post!

Color Games By bunbunnyny
    You may try and set up the Pushable Statues and the Floor Switches so that the color of the Pushable Statue corresponds with its Floor Switch!

Easy as 1-2-3! By bunbunnyny
    Set up each statue to be a different pattern or color than each other. Keep each Floor Switch the same pattern, however. Make sure every statue and Floor Switch is facing the same direction. Then, set up several Inscription Plates that say which switch each statue corresponds with, like "Blue on 3."

Find It! By bunbunnyny
    Create-a-Style every Floor Switch and Pushable Statue to have similar patterns and colors, but make them slightly different. Keep the different corresponding statue and switch patterns the same.

Follow the Yellow Light Path! By bunbunnyny
    Use 2 hidden 1x1 Ceiling Lights from the [Debug] menu, and color them a certain color, and dim the [Intensity]. You may have to make a custom [Intensity] if it's too dark to see the floor. Place one light above the statue, and place a light of the same color on top of the statue's corresponding Floor Switch!

I'm Watching You... (Max Statue Limit: 4) By bunbunnyny
    Keep every Floor Switch the style that has the footprints on them, and make sure that every floor switch has the exact same color and pattern on them. Rotate them so that none of them are facing the same direction. Then, rotate each statue so it's facing the same direction as its corresponding Floor Switch!

Infiltration (Requires Generations; 2 Sims in the Active Family) By bunbunnyny
    You may set up the Statues and the Floor Switches in any way that you want, whether they're all the same color, pattern, and Visual Style (for the Floor Switches.) However, don't link them up so that they match, if they have similar colors or patterns. Mix each Statue and Floor Switch up so that there is no possible way of knowing how to tell which statue corresponds with which Floor Switch.

Then, place a Video Camera in front of the statues and switches so that you can see all or most of them. Put a Sim next to it, but don't pick it up yet. Pause the game. Now, have another Sim queue up interactions to [Push] and [Pull] multiple times to the statues until they reach their corresponding switch, but keep the game paused. Tell your first Sim to pick up the video camera. Try to keep the camera still, unless you want to have it move. Begin recording the exact moment that you see movement. Once the second Sim finishes the queued actions, stop recording.

You can record the Second Sim setting up one statue or several statues, depending on how far away they are from the switch, since you can only queue up 8 actions at a time. Then, you can record another video of the Sim setting up the rest of the statues! If you can, try and have the Sim [Push Far] and [Pull Far]. They will keep moving until they either reach an obstacle or push the statue onto a Floor Switch.

Once you have recorded the videos, first, rename them to something that may or may not give away what it is about. You may either save the recorded videos to a Disk Tower that is located inside the tomb, or leave them laying around the tomb on their own.

To make things more interesting, you should record videos of stuff other than the setting up of the statues, and place those in the same Disk Tower or also laying around the tomb! If you didn't give away what they're about in the names, the player will have a more difficult time knowing which video to watch on their TV, unless you give a hint with a [TNS Text] or an Inscription Plate or something like that. You could even make a video showing where the correct Disk is laying in the tomb!

This method can be used for more than just this! You can use this to show the player which door you should not enter in an intersection, or where a really hard trigger is located in a tomb!

Riddle Me This By mikitta47
    Create a series of message plaques that give the relevant riddle and hints about the order the statues need to be in. The statues are colored, the pressure plates are kept identical to each other. Everything is set up as per the tutorial.

Scavenger Hunt By bunbunnyny
    Have a Sim take a photo of the correct set up with a camera (not their cell phone) from at least 2-4 floors above the set-up. Hang the picture on a wall in the tomb, but try and hide it in plain sight!

Entry Guidelines
    There are 5 simple, extremely easy guidelines to submitting an idea:

1) Give your method a name! 30 Character Limit! This includes spaces, numbers, and symbol characters!

2) If your method limits how many Pushable Statues or Floor Switches you are able to use, you must say so in your entry!

3) Before you submit, please read through all current entries and ensure that your method is not already posted!

4 In your entry, you must thoroughly describe every detail on what you must do in the method, such as whether a Floor Switch must be a certain visual style. If it doesn't matter, you don't even have to mention it!

5) Keep in mind that by entering your idea, I may slightly reword your description only to make more sense of it or to fix major spelling and punctuation errors. Also keep in mind that I might not submit every idea, although I will try!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited August 2011
    First post has been updated on Step #9. If you have completed step #9 before this update, please review your work to make sure nothing has been affected that would cause your work not function correctly.
  • mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Dude, I TOLD you I need the for dummies version LOL! Seriously, I need to set up about 4 puzzles just like this in The Library.

One thing that has helped me keep track of multiple processors is to color the processors - you knew you could CAS them, right? I've made processors in every primary and secondary color, plain, stripped and polka dotted. Which gives me a good selection when I need to place down multiples.

Can you walk me through the EXACT sequence for doing two switches with three statues and you have to get the right two statues on the correct floor switches? I know I'm a pain, but I really want to understand this.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited August 2011
    No, no, you're not a pain! I enjoy helping people!

Ok, here's what you do:

Do nothing with the third statue except make it movable.

Each switch has 2 Processors associated with it.

Change the [Logic Mode...] of each of the first Processors to [Toggle-on-Input].

Link each statue to the first Processor that its corresponding switch is with, so that when it [Activates Something Else], the first Processor [Tick]s.

Link each Floor Switch to itself so when you [Step Off] of it, it [Appear]s.

Link each Floor Switch to its First Processor so that when you [Step Off] of it, the Processor [Reset]s.

Link each Floor Switch to its First Processor so that when you [Step On] it, the Processor has an [In 0].

Link each First Processor's [Out 0] to its Second Processor so that the Second Processor has an [In 0].

You need a third Processor that every Second Processor will connect to.

Link each Second Processor's [Out 0] to the Third Processor.

The first Second Processor that you link will be the Third Processor's [In 0].

The second Second Processor that you link will be the Third Processor's [In 1].

The 3rd 2nd Processor will be the 3rd Processor's [In 2]. And so on.

Link the Third Processor's [Out 0] to every thing that you want the switches to activate!
    edited August 2011
    I'm a little bit confused about something, Bun ....
    7) Now, pay close attention to what you need to do here!
    Ctrl+Shift+Click each first Processor...

You need to do this part carefully.
    If you have more than one switch, here is how you set this up:

Link the first Second Processor that you use to the central or extra Processor that doesn't correspond with any other Processor, Floor Switch, or Pushable Statue...

Then, link the second Second Processor that you use to the same extra additional Processor...
    [Link To Activated Behavior...]»[In 1]

Link the third Second Processor (if you have one) to the extra Processor...
    [Link To Activated Behavior...]»[In 2]

If you have them, link the fourth Second Processor to [In 3] on the extra Processor.
    Fifth Second Processor to [In 4].
    Sixth Second Processor to [In 5].
    Seventh Second Processor to [In 6].
    And the eighth Second Processor to [In 7].

What do I do after I've done the Out 0 for the first processors? If I try to click any other processor, it wants an IN input ...

God Bless,
    mik

edited August 2011
    The first post has been updated on Step #7. Please ensure that the update does not affect the functionality of your device if you have set it up earlier or are in the process of making it.
    edited August 2011
    bunbunnyny wrote:
    The first post has been updated on Step #7. Please ensure that the update does not affect the functionality of your device if you have set it up earlier or are in the process of making it.

It hasn't been updated yet, Bun - that I can tell - it says the same thing.

Trigger out0 the first processor

Trigger out0 all the other first processors

That isn't possible to 0ut0 each processor without imediately imputing an in(whatever) for it.

--edit to add --

Ok, I get it now :) thanks!

God Bless,
    mik
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited August 2011
    No problem! Let me know how it turns out. And if you have any revealing methods, feel free to enter one! Make sure you read the guidelines for entering first, please!
    edited August 2011

Method - Riddle Me This

This method does not limit how many statues/pressure plates you may have. The only limit is how many riddles you can determine to create the puzzle.

Create a series of message plaques that give the relevant riddle and hints about the order the statues need to be in. The statues are colored, the pressure plates are kept identical to each other. Everything is set up as per the tutorial.

God Bless,
    mik

edited September 2011
    Your method has been added.
    edited September 2011
    The "Infiltration" method has been added. This method requires Generations, 2 Sims, and a Video Camera!

This method is good for more than just setting up specific Pushable Statues to specific Floor Switches!
  • clubersclubers Posts: 7,958 Member
    edited September 2011
    Bump for auntielynds!
    edited September 2011
    Credit & thanks has been given to mikitta47, who came up with the idea for me to pursue creating this idea, and several other tomb "devices!"
    edited September 2011
    I was having issues getting this to work right for me, so I tried something just a little different.

1. Lay down your statues and floor plates.

2. Put a single processor down for each statue/floor plate pair and chose Toggle Input for logic mode.

3. Put 1 extra processor down and do not change it's logic mode.

4. On the first floor plate select [Link Trigger] step on

5. On the first processor, select [Link to Activated Behavior] In 0

6. On the first floor plate select [Link Trigger] step off

7. On the first processor, select [Link to Activated Behavior] In 0(reset)

8. On the first statue, select [Link Trigger] Activate Something Else

9. On the first processor, select [Link to Activated Behavior] Tick

10. On the first floor plate, select [Link Trigger] step off

11. On the first processor, select [Link to Activated Behavior] Reset

12. On the first processor, select [Link Trigger] out 0

13. on the final processor, select [Link to Activated Behavior] In 0

14. Link the final processor to what ever triggered events you want to happen [Link Trigger] out 0 for every event affected by the dance of the statues.

Repeat this process for each floor plate/statue pair. If you have more than 8 pairs, add another AND gate processor. Link up additional processors with another auxiliary AND gate processor.

This method seems to be working better for me than having 2 processors per statue/plate pair.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited October 2011
    Yes, I suppose that having only 1 will work, although I haven't yet tested this, and it may or may not work.
    edited January 2012
    I'm sorry, but can somebody please set up a 9- statuenversion of this and FULLY test it out to see if it works? That means take each statue on and off of its own switch, on and off another statue'smswitch, andmtake the Sim themselves on and off the switch? Do each of them at least twice, please if you can.

I'm trying to track down these steps to see if I made an error, since I haven't done this in so long. Them last time I tested this last week, itmdidn't work.

Also, can you guys try setting your statues up so that one setup solution will do one thing (like matching by pattern reveals a switch) and another solution does something different (like matching by color reveals a door), but none of the statues work on both setups for the same switch it corresponds with on the other setup? Thank you so much for anybody willing to help me test this out!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top