March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Create Underwater Passages (Great with Tombs!)

bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
If you want to create an underwater passage, read this thread! Anybody can do it!
If you wish to do this inside of tombs, you will need to follow the instructions posted on the second post on this thread!

This post will teach you how to create a normal underwater passage that you can put on any level that a pool can be placed, except the highest level on the lot.

Look at these pictures so you know what I am talking about and what you will be making:

screenshot_original.jpg"width=650"

See those dark holes inside the pool? Those lead into the passage.
The "passage" is the part of the underwater passage that is the pool.
The "tunnel" is the room above the pool "passage."
None of these terms refer to the room that you enter or exit the passage with.

Okay, so here's what you do:

1) Create the part of the wall that you want to be above the connection between the passage and the rest of the pool that's not part of the passage.
In the posted images, that's the part that is above the entry into the dark hole.
There will be 2 of these that you will use. One at the beginning of the passage, and one at the end. If your passage is 1 grid deep, switch steps 2 and 3, and create the wall immediately after step 2.

2) Now, you need to create the pool.
First, construct a pool against the side of the wall that will be in front of the beginning wall, and one behind the ending wall, but not in between both walls.

3) Now you need to create the passage part.
Construct a pool against the part of the walls where you constructed step 2's pools.
This connects the pools underneath the dividing walls.
This part is the trickiest part. Try constructing this part of the pool in different directions if it doesn't work.
Try constructing from the top left of the section that's against the wall to the bottom right.
Or top right to bottom left.
Bottom left to top right.
Bottom right to top left.

4) By now, you should have 2 pools connected underneath each dividing wall.
Now, connect the 2 pools you made against each wall in step 3.
You can make the passage corner if you want, too. The passage and the entries may be any size that you want them to be, too.

5) This is the final step in creating a basic underwater passage. Now you're creating the tunnel part. Take the wall tool and completely line the edges of what you have created in step 4.
This should look like a room where the floor is made completely of water.
If you have used concave and convex pool pieces, then you will probably have some trouble with creating this.
With that said, unless you know what you're doing, I advise you don't use curved pool pieces.

You are done!
I apologize if what I have written doesn't make any sense to you.
Feel free to ask questions!

You may also create underwater passages that don't require a tunnel! Instead of having 2 walls and a passageway, just use 1 dividing wall and 1 connection beneath the dividing wall!

Read the post beneath this to learn how to create underwater passages in tombs!
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited October 2011
    HOW TO CREATE UNDERWATER PASSAGES IN TOMBS

You will need:

•World Adventures Expansion Pack.

•To activate the [testingcheatsenabled true] cheat.

•To activate the [buydebug on] cheat.

Ok. If you want an underwater passage in a tomb, first, you'll need to put tomb markers inside the pool.

So, go to the floor level where you see the top of the pool - NOT THE FLOOR INSIDE THE POOL. (See pictures at the bottom of this post if you don't know what I mean. They are taken from the floor I'm mentioning.)

Then, take a tomb marker and just place it in the middle of any pool rooms. It may disappear, but that's okay. Just move up or down one floor level and come back. If moving up and back doesn't work, go down and back. You should then be able to see the tomb marker floating slightly lower than other tomb markers that are on the floor you are on. You'll need to be able to access these for later.

Another thing on passages: You'll need to hide the room that they're in, too. So, once you have created a tunnel, you'll need to do the following:

1) Delete ONE grid square of pool

2) Place a tomb marker on the deleted grid

3) Recreate a pool below the tomb marker

4) Repaint the pool where you deleted it

And one more thing you need to take care of.
    When trying to access an underwater passage inside a tomb, it will be impossible unless you go down to the floor level where you're inside the pool.
    So, you'll need to unfog the tunnel rooms.

Since pools are rooms, you only need to place 1 tomb marker in every pool. You don't need to place a second one underneath a tunnel.

However, remember that tomb marker that you just placed with the 4 numbered steps above? You'll need to unfog those, since because that room is fogged, the pool below it will be unusable, since technically, when you click to move into a tunnel, you're clicking the fog in the room above the tunnel.

Since most people won't realize you need to go down a floor to be able to move through a tunnel, you need to do the following:

1) Place down a hidden switch panel on top of the door or archway that brings you into the room with the entrance to the pool. The big green one.
    Place down as many as you need, but remember, the larger the door or the more entrances you have, the more complicated that this will be.

2) Ctrl+Shift+Click the Trigger Panel, and select:
    [Link Triggers...]»[Hidden Switch]

3) Link that to the pool's tomb marker:
    [Link To Activated Behavior...]»[Unfog room]

4) Repeat steps #2) and #3) for the tunnel room's tomb marker that we were talking about.
    You'll need to do steps 2-5 for every hidden switch panel that you've created.

5)Repeat steps #2) and #3) for the tomb marker of the room that the passage opens up into. In other words, the the room that you enter when you get out of the pool on the other side of the passage.

If you want to hide a tunnel be leaving it in the dark so it can barely be seen and being inaccessible unless you swim right next to it, simply place a hidden switch panel on the corner of the passage, or use the 4-step-numbered trick of deleting the pool, placing it down, and then recreating the pool it so it's floating in the air. Then, just link the triggers you've placed to the room the passage opens up to and the tunnel room so that they unfog.

You don't want to place the passage in a spot where your Sim would naturally swim when crossing pools, so place somewhere in like the corner of the room, or in a "dent" in the wall that looks somewhat like this:

___/¯¯\___

Also, make sure that your hidden switch panel isn't showing up where it doesn't need to be. This means that only 1-2 grids of the hidden switch panel should be visible on the open side.

This process of hiding passages is shown in the pictures below.

Be sure to illuminate the pool with objects like hidden ceiling lights.
    Also, if you want to place a wall light above the pool passage, use the [moveobjects on] cheat. Then, hover the light on the opposite side of the wall, and where you want to place it. Then, use the < / , and > / . buttons to rotate the light to see if it switches to the other side of the wall. If it doesn't work, try moving the mouse slightly closer to the edge of the pool, and completely cut down the wall view.

If you have questions, which you probably will have, please feel free to ask!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited August 2011
    This is so cool Bunbun!

I didn't even know you could do that. I'm going to try it out tonight when I get back to my Sim computer. I'll report back, and show what I did. :mrgreen:

Included in FAQ :D
  • betty_me13betty_me13 Posts: 3,285 New Member
    edited August 2011
    This looks awesome! I'm gonna go try it!

Question though, can sims actually swim through it?
    edited August 2011
    Yes, Sims can swim through it!
    And because of how the pool water's height isn't exactly as high as the walls containing it, it leaves enough room for your Sim's head to pass through!
  • simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited August 2011
    Very clever, thank you!
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • clubersclubers Posts: 7,958 Member
    edited August 2011
    This looks so cool. I think I know what I'm going to put in the founder's tomb in my hotel.
    edited October 2011
    First and Second Posts have been updated to make step finding slightly easier!
  • Verbaltee99Verbaltee99 Posts: 403 New Member
    edited October 2011
    This'll be perfect for my world as there are lots of underground pools. Thanks for coming up with this ^^

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top