Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can i install The sims 3 and its expansions on D drive?

I want to ask you if i can install the sims 3 and TS World of adventures,ambitions,late night,generations and other expanions all on D drive because i dont have so much space on C drive

Comments

• LoCatusLoCatus Posts: 1,740 Member
    edited June 2011
    YUP! I put all my games on my D: drive.

Gotta "Games" folder there to keep things organized.

My Music, Documents folder, and pics are all on that drive as well.

• poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    edited June 2011
    Like LoCatus said, yep!

I too keep all my games on D drive. :mrgreen:

Happy Simming!
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • MistyLakeMistyLake Posts: 1,700 Member
    edited June 2011
    How do you do that?? :shock:
    I am such a dork...i don't know anything about computers...LOL!

Can you combine C and D drives? Would that somehow "destroy" my PC..or would everything work just fine? I was just thinking that combining C and D would create a lot of space..then i wouldn't have to worry about my Sims running smoothly anymore. :)
    "By Grabthar's Hammer! Let There Be Sims!"
  • Wedjs53Wedjs53 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2011
    You can make your D drive a slave drive to your C drive. Go into your help on your windows. Do a search for Hard drives. There you will find instructions for a slave drive.
  • LoCatusLoCatus Posts: 1,740 Member
    edited June 2011
    Yes you can combine the two drives If they are both parts of the same piece of hardware.. (One hard drive set up with two partitions) NOT RECOMMENDED IF YOU HAVE DATA YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOSE!! If they are two separate pieces of hardware, then no..

Easier to use the "custom" option in the game's installer and tell it to install to D...

• CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited June 2011
    Hello,

Just be careful not to delete things in the D: Drive, as usually this is where the manufacturer puts back up and computer restoring files, in case something goes wrong with your computer. Also, I have read that moving files to the D: Drive can be quite complicated, and sometimes doesn't work properly. So be careful.

Hope this helps,

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • vonHentzauvonHentzau Posts: 419 Member
    edited October 2012
    I'm bringing this up again, because I need more specific info, and the Master Help thread that Nichaedemus put together doesn't seem to address this specific issue. I tried Locatus's suggestion; uninstalled all the games (after making sure my saves, libraries, & original info were backed up elsewhere), cleaned out the registry (very carefully), following the EA "Manual Uninstall" thread.

I've done a lot of web searches to see how to install to D: (step by step), but most of the results are not that helpful. They just say to type D: into Custom Install.

So I tried that, reinstalling using the "Custom Install" to send it to the D: drive. (I've got the disks, not download programs). Some stuff ended up back in the C: drive, and while I was able to download the patch, the launcher said it couldn't start and told me to check the log (which I couldn't find). And I couldn't load the Expansion pack, because it said the Sims file was already installed. I'm guessing it's because half the stuff is in a different drive.

So I've repeated the Uninstall process, and my laptop is Sim-free, apart from the backed up files. I've been playing the game for a little over a year, without too much trouble, although after installing Generations last week and patching to 1.39, I'm starting to crash to my desktop with "The Sims 3 has stopped working." Only CC is what was purchased at the store.

I'd rather not start messing with the partitions. So if anyone is happily running this with expansions on a drive that isn't c:\Program files, can you offer any advice? The laptop was set up specifically for gaming, with a ton of space on D:, and I am keen to get Seasons, so I want as much space as possible.

• QueenPoetri87QueenPoetri87 Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    I have a different question, I installed Sims 3 on my D drive and can't find where to put the downloads. Can someone help?
  • myrandamiller91myrandamiller91 Posts: 53
    edited June 2014
    Your downloads will always go in the Sims 3 Folder in your MyDocuments library on your main drive, no matter where you put your game files.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited July 2014
    Your downloads will always go in the Sims 3 Folder in your MyDocuments library on your main drive, no matter where you put your game files.

You can infact move the documents folder to another drive.. this way all game related stuff is on D drive and Not C drive.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-move-windows-7-personal-folders-my-documents-another-drive.htm
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• TnT_TerryTnT_Terry Posts: 6,629 Member
    ok can anyone tell me what I should type in the field to direct my game to D drive? I mean the original field says; C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3.... Do I simply change the C to D, or do I need to change the whole thing? Yeah so not a pc techy :P
    I own every basegame, EP, GP, SP and kits for all sims, ie.., sims 1, 2, 3 and 4
    I am a sims 3 Store Owner Thanks to all my Amazing friends here, and I do own all store stuff from sims 2 as well!

gjmdPt7.png
  • ginger170ginger170 Posts: 148 Member
    If you install the "Steam" edition of "The Sims 3" , then you can even install the Expansion Packs in any order.
    I know through experience.
    As I kept on having to save up until I got them all.
    EPs & SPs.

You should be able to install "The Sims 3" to any internal hard drive.
    Like with External hard drives, if games are successfully installed there,
    just make sure that it is always plugged in via. USB.

I hope this helped and pointed to your question.
    edited August 2016
    ginger170 wrote: »
    If you install the "Steam" edition of "The Sims 3" , then you can even install the Expansion Packs in any order.
    I know through experience.
    As I kept on having to save up until I got them all.
    EPs & SPs.

You should be able to install "The Sims 3" to any internal hard drive.
    Like with External hard drives, if games are successfully installed there,
    just make sure that it is always plugged in via. USB.

I hope this helped and pointed to your question.

no I already know it can install to drive D, but my question is what do I type in the field during install? I other words, I chose custom install rather than express which puts it in C automatically. Then a box pops up asking where I'd like it installed. There is a field to type in which already has the typical c drive directive... "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3", so my question is, do I simply change the C to D or do I have to type in something new?
    I own every basegame, EP, GP, SP and kits for all sims, ie.., sims 1, 2, 3 and 4
    I am a sims 3 Store Owner Thanks to all my Amazing friends here, and I do own all store stuff from sims 2 as well!

gjmdPt7.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I would suggest just changing the C to a D, though I'm surprised there isn't a "Browse" button to take you to the Program Files (x86) folder on D for you. If there isn't a Program Files (x86) folder already on D, one should be created for you.

@ginger170 - Anyone can install the EP/SPs in any order now. Steam is not a requirement for that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    I would suggest just changing the C to a D, though I'm surprised there isn't a "Browse" button to take you to the Program Files (x86) folder on D for you. If there isn't a Program Files (x86) folder already on D, one should be created for you.

@ginger170 - Anyone can install the EP/SPs in any order now. Steam is not a requirement for that.

Yes, very odd about the no browse option.
    There had to be a way of installing it on the D drive.

Step 1
    Find the folder for the game/program you want to move.
    Either use “(My) Computer”(explorer by holding Start + E) to navigate to the folder containing the game. If you are unsure of the games location, you can always check the properties of its short-cut and in most cases right clicking a shortcut will give you an option to “Open file location”

Step 2 and 3
    Now you can copy and paste(ctrl + c for copy and ctrl +v for past or use the right click method) that folder containing the game/program to the new drive. In my case it will be going to my “games” folder on drive d, Your location may be different

This is a quick and easy guide of moving a program or game from one drive to another without uninstalling. It has some limitations the biggest one being that a copy + paste to move files will not copy over NTFS security permissions, but for most games and programs this is not a problem.
    edited August 2016
    @ginger170 - No, you cannot copy and paste an entire game program install like TS3 from one location to another. It's far too complex a program to work that way and if Origin is involved in its management at all, the game will break entirely. The Windows Registry will also not be able to keep up with the game in its new location.

Was this info coming from a well known website? I'd like to see the source and what kind of games they were talking about there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor I find it odd that it doesn't give you the option to choose where you want to install the Sims game.
    Yes, it would be a complex process, transferring a full installed game from one HDD to another.
    Technically, it can be done, but only by experts or advanced users.
    Basic users can only solve so much.

I hope you resolve this issue, if I find out anything else, which is a solution, I'll check it out first and then let you know.
    I want to help, if I can.
    Thank you all so much for explaining indepth, I finally got it to work by making the program file and then changing the c to d during install. Tested the game by opening the launcher after basegame install and all seems well, so onto eps\sps and the super patch 1.67. Already unticked the auto update so EA can't mess my game up again with that damndible 1.69, this was the whole reason of placing 3 on D as 4 is on c with auto updates. This way origin is also away from 3. thanks again ;)

gjmdPt7.png
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    ginger170 wrote: »
    @igazor I find it odd that it doesn't give you the option to choose where you want to install the Sims game.
    Yes, it would be a complex process, transferring a full installed game from one HDD to another.
    Technically, it can be done, but only by experts or advanced users.
    Basic users can only solve so much.

I hope you resolve this issue, if I find out anything else, which is a solution, I'll check it out first and then let you know.
    I want to help, if I can.

It does, you choose custom install and then pick a different hard drive. Its easy
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    So I didnt know that! Thanks @phoebebebe13 This old post really helped me.
  • Quelogz17Quelogz17 Posts: 2 New Member
    everytime I install sims 3 on drive D, I can't install any expansion packs..... error says "this product requires an installed copy of sims 3"....
    edited July 2018
    Quelogz17 wrote: »
    everytime I install sims 3 on drive D, I can't install any expansion packs..... error says "this product requires an installed copy of sims 3"....
    Is D for you an internal or an external drive and what kind of install (disc, Origin, something else) is this? Have you established a Program Files folder or something (doesn't really matter what it's called) on D for the installs to go into? They cannot sit on the root directory of D : \ only.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Quelogz17Quelogz17 Posts: 2 New Member
    D is also internal drive or secondary drive........ installation? not really sure how to answer that but I had this game from my external disc to install it everytime I want to... Origin is installed as part of installation process. Haven't made any program files in D yet and if that will be the case, how do I do that? Appreciate your response....
    Can't say for sure that this is the issue you have. But if C is the drive from which Windows is running, you can't install programs directly on D. There has to be a directory (folder) on D to hold the programs. That only entails directing Windows Explorer (Computer from a Start Menu) to D and create a new folder there. Call it "Programs on D" or whatever you like.

This is the folder on which you will want to install programs.

Afraid you've lost me on the install. You are either installing the program from retail store discs or you are downloading the program though Origin and installing it that way. If you are doing retail discs and have a version of the discs made after 2012 that requires Origin control anyway, then Origin to install is usually easier, you end up with the same game in the end, and you can do a custom install through Origin to this new folder on D.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited November 2018
    Found the answer concerning the install of TS3 on another thread!

I need some help, please! I bought a new computer a few days ago, and there are two partitions C : and D : . C is ridiculously small, only 118 Go for a whole family and when I had copied over hubby's and the kids' stuff, there was no room for me. Or the Sims. So I thought, why not just copy everything over to D, which is about 1To, much better. But it doesn't seem to work so easily. I checked my word docs, and even though they appear on D, they are nowhere to be found on my session "this computer". I hope someone understands what I'm getting at.

Anyway, I tried to install my base game disc, picked D instead of automatic install on C and let the CD do its thing. Can anybody tell me if I have to create a "Program Files (86)/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3" folder? It works without it, but the cache, game, game data etc. aren't in a folder, and I can just imagine what it will be like when I install all the EP's and other stuff...
    NymlADp.jpg