Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 - Sims Icon disappeared, sims unable to select, unable to move, disappeared!

I have all the EP and SP for The Sims 3.

The problem began after I downloaded and installed Generations.
For some reason, when I travel and come back, my sims icon disappeared, the sims disappeared or frozen. I am unable to do anything (not to mention the stuffs I bought in World Adventures vacation did not show up in family inventory)

I have:
* Uninstalled all CC's - the only things that are left are the store contents.
* Delete World Cache and restore the save to its previous state - it got normal then messes up again.
* Use the cheat resetSim but did not resolve anything.
* Installed the update for the individual EP and SP (even though after the Generations patch, no longer needed)

I have not:
* uninstalled and re-installed everything (my internet is slow, and with all the EP and SP, it takes a really long time!)

I have noticed:
* The sims 3 launcher auto update does not work properly - my Origin is the latest...

Anybody has a solution or if there are any EA team member on this forum. Please review this issue because I've notice a lot of people have encountered this.

Thank you,
Ken

Comments

• Demure1Demure1 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I am having this same prob! I have also uninstalled and reinstalled ALL the games I have, updated to the latest, as well as watch other forum posts for any new news about this "Generations Curse." Please help! :(:cry:
  • IanCIanC Posts: 77 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Same thing is happening to me.
  • ablackcoldwindablackcoldwind Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    shameless bump!

any techies out there>?
  • NiNjahawkzNiNjahawkz Posts: 7,538 Member
    edited June 2011
    i had that issue
    i had to move my family out with the house included and saved it into the household library, copied the family and deleted the one on the clipboard, moved the family back in from my one i saved in the library, then it was back to normal :D
    o7yo879
    < CLICK to J0in >
  • Christiners03Christiners03 Posts: 14 New Member
    edited June 2011
    The same thing happened to me I think... I went on vacation, but left my kid at home with a sitter. When I got back the place where my kids picture is was just a green box, and I can't click on the kid or do any kind of interactions with it. Any ideas?
  • 301287911W38301287911W38 Posts: 26
    edited June 2011
    I'm having the same exact issues, but I'm also experiencing trouble with the boarding school feature, Sims are lost, among many more annoying glitches...I have all EPs, SPs, and UDs.
  • 301287911W38301287911W38 Posts: 26
    edited June 2011
    And all features of my expansion packs aren't usuable...ie photography skill and recording sims life to watch on TV.
  • ablackcoldwindablackcoldwind Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    another shameless bump...

help?
  • wprevotwprevot Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I am having the same problem! I am very disappointed at The Sims 3. This is a catastrophic bug and we don't hear any official note about the development team. I've never experienced that when I used to play The Sims 2.
  • ShellyjShellyj Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    I had this exact problem, but have not even got the generations expansion, as I have so many problems at the moment.

I started an entire new computer user, and reinstalled, just to get the same problem again. My game would then not even open to the launcher page after installing the new update.

I have now reinstalled 4 times on 4 users, and I am getting glitches that i have never got before, with only the sims 3 and world adventures installed, i am scared to install anymore. the sims will not stay in bed, they are exhausted, and just suddenly appear elsewhere on the lot! and will just not stay in the bed. Or my families duplicate after going to world adventures. I have played for so many years, and i have never had so many glitches!!

I have replaced the memory in my computer completely, trying to establish a hardware, or software problem and still glitches,

I am getting so angry with the bad help on the sims website, i have now been going in circles for an hour and a half. I just can not get help from a nice person, who knows a anything about the game at all. They have been useful in the past, but you have to get the right people, its down to luck!

• maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    edited June 2011
    I finally gave up trying to find a quick fix for all the issues. Uninstalled and then re-installed all my games except the Generations. Did update my games so hoping the update won't result in the same problem. Haven't had a chance to play yet to see if works. Tried just uninstalling Generations but had same problems. Plan to re-install Generations once a patch is out to fix the issues.
  • ingrid_baingrid_ba Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    I have the same problem as well. It's never happened to me before now. I don't have Generations though, so I don't think that's the problem.
    After returning from China, my family has shrunk from seven to four sims (only one of three daughters shows up in the green box even though I can see all three, the father disappeared, the mother is invisible but she's the active sim and she's stuck, and the names of my sims changed to something I assume is the name of pre-made sims (for example one is now named Felicia Booker, but I've certainly never named a sim that) even though the faces in the green boxes are the same. I did the reset sim-cheat, tried to teleport them, nothing works. I can't move the family out either like NINjahawks did as half of them are gone and some of them are born in the game.
    In the end I deleted the most recent saves and I'm hoping this will work, but I think the same thing will happen after returning home from China, just as it did when I sent them to Egypt. I have the latest updates. I'm considering to uninstall Adventures, I think the problem lies there. It's really incredibly annoying.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited June 2011
    I don't have any real solutions to this problem except resort to mods.

This issue seems connected to Clones that you get when you come back from vacation (same goes for boarding school and travel opp). You now have to Sims with the Same ID in your town and that screws it up.

Read here for more info: http://crinrict-help.blogspot.com/2011/06/bug-sims-missing-from-portrait-panel.html
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• JaimeJaime Posts: 13 New Member
    edited May 2013
    NiNjahawkz wrote:
    i had that issue
    i had to move my family out with the house included and saved it into the household library, copied the family and deleted the one on the clipboard, moved the family back in from my one i saved in the library, then it was back to normal :D

THIS WORKED! I was having the same issue (but with university after graduation), finally got back to my home and there were no icons and the sim was immovable. After doing exactly this, then selecting "Return to Game Setup" you select household (the one you just placed) and the sim now moves and can select actions (they also still have inventory as well). THANK YOU SO MUCH, this is the only advice (and working at that) that I have gotten, no thanks to EA...
  • raisingthestakesraisingthestakes Posts: 88 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I had the same problem. When I returned to a game saved during graduation, there were no faces in the icons, one sim's icon was not clickable, and the clicked on sim could not interact with anything. The clicked sim had actually graduated though, and chosen her extra trait and had the graduating moodlet. The un clickable sim was still in the building.

I found somewhat of a solution. I waited until you had to travel home and it hit the loading screen to go home. When they arrived back, their. Pictures were there and everything. The clicked on sim from before had the option to upload her resume and everything. The un clickable sim didn't have the moodlet or extra trait, but it still says she got the degree.

It still sucks that she didn't get everything she was supposed to, but at least the sims were still there and still playable. And had their degrees.
  • moonlightvampmoonlightvamp Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2014
    NiNjahawkz wrote:
    i had that issue

This worked!

Will lose:

Friendships
    Progress on Lifetime Reward

Will Keep:

Money
    Skills
    Job Level
    All the other good stuff
  • DarbutDarbut Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2014
    try right clicking on your game icon and going to properties and go to compatibility and select the windows version that it lat worked in I have 8.1 and i run the game under windows 7 and so far no issues
  • LOULIGHTFOOT1976LOULIGHTFOOT1976 Posts: 160 Member
    I've no thumbnail portrait panel u can c them but can't control them I don't knpw who am controlling
  • AnkieACAnkieAC Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2023
    deleted
    Post edited by AnkieAC on
    I did that it made no differnece they still had no thumbnails so i had choose another family instead i don't have mods
    my characters were at home when i had no thumbnails we weren't travellin
  • tiffssimstiffssims Posts: 4 New Member
    THE SIMS 3 GAMES IS ALL I PLAY I OWN SIMS 4 BUT I NEVER LIKED IT AFTER FIRST PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!