Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @ciane Wow, you're fast. I'm still waiting for an idea to emerge. (I guess I did last month's about as fast, though, now that I think about it LOL).

So, as a latecomer to these challenges, I looked back to the very beginning and saw the very first thing was to make an architectural office for your own sim/architect/self. I've always had an image in my mind that there's someone, a character, written in the first person, narrating the challenges, along with her (see, she's a woman to me) assistant, Rose, and I've just at this moment realized that that person is probably actually whoever was created in the beginning for the first challenge or ourselves. Yeah, I'm slow sometimes. ;) Anyway, the reason I brought it up was I was looking for some background on Rose and her boss to think about what they'd like to have. Is there anything in the older challenges that would provide any clues, or shall I just give up on that idea and wing it?
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    There probably are lots of clues, like last month they were both eager to eat at the pan-Asian fusion restaurant. Clues like drinking tea... but I really can't help you out. I'd say you could look through all the challenge write-ups to get to know them better, BUT... she did say to design YOUR dream office.
  • paneingerpaneinger Posts: 214 Member
    Uggggh, unlimited budget and building whatever I want?! There's just too many possibilities >:)
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Wr2hKWH.png
    ATTENTION INTERMEDIATE ENTRANTS TO #BnS203
    - East Meets West -
    Your results are now avaiable here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @suzses - yes, there is a lot of background detail on Rose, the architect, is supposed to be you :tongue: Feel free to have a browse back through past challenges, unfortunately, there is no accurate index due to the change in forums.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @suzses - yes, there is a lot of background detail on Rose, the architect, is supposed to be you :tongue: Feel free to have a browse back through past challenges, unfortunately, there is no accurate index due to the change in forums.

Thanks :) Maybe my time will be better spent thinking of what style I'd like to build. LOL
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • mederouinmederouin Posts: 67 Member

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM: No. 204 Dream a Little Dream

NAME: Mederouin

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9235369

LINK TO MEDIA: https://imgur.com/a/pVYZanQ

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 30X30; 2350 Pinochle Point, Sunset Valley; Final cost: 73,847

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: For me architecture will never be about what is built. It will never just be a piece of rock and metal stuck into the ground to turn its back on everything other than form. Architecture for me needs to be almost symbiotic, it needs to embody the spirit of the place it is placed into. For me architecture isn't so much the opportunity to make something, but rather to enhance something. When I design I want someone to look at it and say that belongs here. Not that it makes some huge statement or commands all attention, no I would rather have something that makes people feel comforted rather than impressed. I often find that a lot of architecture becomes about the view, it becomes about looking at something and becoming separate from it. I want the opposite to be true that when we are inside of a building we become part of the landscape, that we experience the world around us rather than just looking at it. For my studio I tried to embody this sense of quiet power. I wanted it to be a space that people would come to for inspiration and not to be impressed. I set up the conference room like a living room to strip it of its formality. For my special feature I have included the two observation decks. The one attached to the main studio space has a curtained off space that I would love to use for sketching, just listening to the water and feeling the breeze. Hope you enjoy.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    “As an architect you design for the present with an awareness of the past for a future which is essentially unknown”
    -Herman Foster
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @mederouin That is spectacular! I love that it showcases a beautiful home, that landscaping is simply amazing, and that it would make the most cozy wonderful office ever!
    @mederouin That's a beautiful lot, and I appreciated what you had to say about your choices. Love the landscaping.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I've finished a corner :D
    Just wanted to share a slight spoiler so far

29685718368_0aaba3b9a6_z.jpg
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #204 - Dream a Little Dream

NAME: suzses

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9236707

LINK TO MEDIA: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmn3pxce

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 30x30 lot at 525 Skyborough Blvd. in custom Sunset Valley - $96,105.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: In my mind, I've just taken Rose and "myself" from a small office in a converted house to a newly built professional office. When considering in what environment I work well, I realized that even though I love homey little places, I feel much more professional and "together" in a nice clean, contemporary setting. On the flip side, when I'm stressed out, I really need some elements of nature around me to give me a sense of calm. I'm sure that's because I grew up with the woods at my back door, and so I'm happiest when I can look out my door or window and see things like trees.

I've been building up a town in Rflong7's Sunset Valley Dark, which has darker terrain paints than normal Sunset Valley, and only some community lots preplaced, and since I'm really enjoying it, I decided this was a good place to locate. I've been looking for something to put in the lot where the police station usually sits because I had put in a combination rabbit hole that includes the police station, and I no longer needed that building. Thinking about where to put the office, I realized this was the perfect spot - located where people could easily find it in the downtown, yet providing lots of natural views. It overlooks the large central park, a smaller natural park to the side, mountains in the distance, and evergreens to the back of the property.

To further the emphasis on nature, I included a two-story garden atrium in the building and a private outdoor sitting spot for staff at the back of the property.

Since we've outgrown our office, I thought of us as also expanding the staff, and since Rose is truly my right hand, I decided she would be moving out of the reception area as soon as we did some hiring. The office behind the reception area is her eventual intended spot (and labeled that way in pictures). There are two other work areas/offices for other staff members, which I've called "creative areas," one on the first floor and the other on the second. "My" office is on the second floor.

The special thing I've always wanted is that atrium with a real live tree and the sounds of running water from the side fountains. My dream must have, of course, been a little mixed up since I would need to go right by it to reach my office. ;)

I've named it "AIDA at the Atrium," with AIDA standing for Architectural and Interior Design Associates.

A couple other little things:

(1) The tree in the atrium sometimes does not want to display on the lower levels, although it's always visible on the second floor. This doesn't seem to be entirely due to viewing distance. When it disappears for me, I just grab it in build/buy mode on the second floor and then hit escape to "let go." Then, you can see it again on all levels.

(2) I'm thinking about using this, with the addition of a rabbit hole rug, as my corporate building in the town where I've placed it and thought a good spot for the rug might be on the porch to the right of the main entrance.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please.

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)

42715934545_14ecfc5a29_z.jpgAIDAFront1 by Sue H, on Flickr

28732333167_f6a26b8aba_z.jpgAIDABackExt2 by Sue H, on Flickr
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    OH my!!! I love that @suzses! The brick, wood, and stucco mix with that metal fence and the mix of windows works so very well together. I also LOVE the multi-layered look of the roof lines and how they hang over. I especially love the squares that form the walkway out front! The glass in the middle fits right in as well and your landscaping is nicely green and natural. Truly an awesome looking architectural structure that invites and inspires at the same time.
    Well, my lot does not compare to those awesomely landscaped and truly architectural statements; but I dream simple. My dream is a simple little rock building that is handicap accessible with lots of big windows to bring the outside in. It has the diagonal walls that I love and hip roofs with half hips. Inside, everything flows easily around the big reception area. There are two offices so that one is available for the new associate. There is also a separate drafting room, a conference/break room with an outdoor patio area, and an exercise room for practicing martial arts. Each office, the work-out room, and the reception area have their own bath. High quality stereo equipment and a High Definition television make working and visiting here a pleasure. There's a wood-burning stove in case of electrical outages and just because the smell of baking bread, pizza, and pasta is so tantalizing. There's also a grill out back in the patio for cooking on nice days. But, don't worry, your new office is right next to the bistro if you have no time or inclination to cook!

Though you have limited parking out front and back, you do have lots of bike racks and parking just across the street.

You are located next to the town square and many businesses, as well as on the end of the street next to the water.

This lot always had lots of traffic and it was challenging upgrading everything because computers were highly sought-after.

My lot is here:
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9237526

Pics are in the upload, but here's the basic layout:
    l0wu_original.jpg

And a quick look inside:
    l0wd_original.jpg

@ciane I like your many windows and interesting layout. I don't recall seeing that window done in two tones - gives it a different effect, and I like it. Your lobby/reception area is very attractive and professional looking, and I wish I could see more of the interiors in your pictures. I like the wallpaper and the love seat ties in nicely with the floor mosaic.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Thank you for your kind words, @suzses. The floor mosaic became the palette I used for everything. I did take lots of pictures; but as it's a single story building with no foundation, it only allows three pics in the upload. Since I only do these for fun, just taking the time to edit some pic in GIMP works best for me. I too quickly use up my storage capacity otherwise!
    I may have been a bit over ambitious on this design :# This month will definitely be a photo finish for my entry and then I'll be able to check out everyone else's
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    I fear I may miss the deadline yet again on this one. Partly because of what I really really really wanted to do in my build, which took time to get together! Even if I can't get a full entry in by tomorrow I'll at least post some progress pictures of what I did manage to get.

Loving everyone's entries/pictures so far, though!
    Looking forward to seeing your dream offices!
    edited July 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM: No. 204 Dream a Little Dream

NAME: paneinger

LINK TO LOT: n/a

LINK TO MEDIA: https://www.flickr.com/photos/157238170@N02/albums/72157697669063421
    (edit - flickr uploaded all of my pictures out of order and I could cry. sorry :( )

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 54 x 25; total cost was just about 850k total (I literally just closed the game and forgot to check)

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: So, this is a bit different. My idea of a dream office isn't a standalone building. Instead, I'm dreaming of something like in a small community of trendy shops and hangouts. Slate Street Shoppes is a converted row of townhouses, gutted and rebuilt into many different stores. Each shop front is tailored to the style of the store, but overall the feel is homey and lived in, but a tad sophisticated. I got lost in London last year and part of where I wandered reminded me of this. This lot is going to go in a world surrounded with a couple other residential lots with the same shell to make for a really nice feel as the sims walk down "Slate Street" and it'll be awesome if my computer doesn't hate it too much. Anyway!

My office is on the first and second floor of the left side of the lot. Walk up the stairs to the landing and you'll see a little potted garden and bike storage. Immediately upon entering, you'll find yourself in the lobby. Rose's office and the client rest room is to the right, the conference room and stairs to the left. I tried to add some architect-y bits, but subtly. There are some dollhouses and building models in various places downstairs. I used a lot of built-ins for a custom and upscale look. Upstairs, you'll find a storage room (with a daybed for napping at work!), my office, and my private bathroom. Again, more built-ins. I also used a lot of rough looking brick to imitate an old building that had been renovated. Lots of purples with green things and cacti because I've been feeling that lately. I added a dog bed with extra pillows and toys by my desk because I would 110% take my dogs to work if I could. I added a couple pics with the POV you would have sitting at my desk. There's the laptop, PC, dock for music, and a little glass tabletop for the electric kettle and a teacup - I must have for my desk! Pretend that the tv on the wall can be a remote computer monitor and you're good. I even found a CC item for one of my favorite makeup palettes and included it in my "private" bathroom for midday touch ups. Overall, this is very, very much my style and a place that I could relax in and feel at home.

But I'm not done yet! One of the other aspects of my dream office is the surrounding space. Forget your lunch? Fine - there's a food truck, diner, farmer's market, and coffee shop. Nice day? Sit outside on the patio and people watch with a laptop while you work. Bad weather? On the third floor, you still have a decent view of everything. I think the lot has a very trendy and community feel to it - and its very functional! Here's a breakdown of the rest of the lot:

Ground Floor (L -> R)
    1. Amontillado - a nectary that boasts a room to make your own nectar. Sims can also browse, buy, and taste nectar, as well as order a drink from the bar. We have absolutely never bricked up customers in the basement and can't believe you would ask such a thing.
    2. Pink Sugar - 50's style diner done in pinks and featuring lots of cupcakes, ice cream, and candy. The rug is a diner rabbithole. Has functional ice cream machines, snow cone machine, chocolate fountain, etc. Additional seating outside. *there is an elevator tucked in the corner of the diner - that goes up to the (empty) third floor that may eventually be used for something.
    3. Food Truck - for when you need some grease to offset the sugar crash
    4. Annie's Organics - farmer's market with lots of fresh fruit and veggies, as well as preserves and pumpkins. The rug is a grocery store rabbithole. Includes a food register as well.
    5. The Pesky Pescado - a tiny store selling exotic fish for aquariums. Includes a working pet register. **FREE deathfish with $500+ purchase**
    6. Public Restrooms - 9 all-in-one restrooms. Pretty much self explanatory.
    7. Laundromat - wash all the things here! Includes 6 sets of washers and dryers, a clothesline and hamper.
    8. Dumpsters - I'm not really sure if this counts as an attraction, but there's plenty of dumpsters for diving located behind the food truck?

First Floor (L -> R)
    2. Eden Falls Architecture - AKA "my office"
    3. The Mortar and Pestle - witchy shop with a faerie house, magic mirror, crystal ball, grimoire, jellybean tree, and potions register. Also, in one corner you can find Gregoire the Gargoyle - or "that one guy who tried to steal something and got caught." Outside, there's a LLAMA to take you anywhere you want to go.
    4. Lotus - a salon with an upgraded styling station. Offers everything you would need for a makeover, and a large tv and comfy couch for bored husbands. Please ignore the gaping hole in the ceiling - I forgot to replace the ceiling tile after adding a hot tub upstairs.
    5. The Poisoned Pen - a bookstore with plenty of books and a nice sitting area with a fireplace (and no books near the fireplace!). The rug is a spa/bookstore rabbithole. Fun fact - The Poisoned Pen is a real bookstore in AZ and I borrowed their name because they're awesome.

Second Floor (L -> R)
    1. Eden Falls Architecture - AKA "my office"
    2. The Mortar and Pestle - witchy workings area. It includes an upgraded wardrobe, grimoire, alchemy station, cauldron, and gem cutter. The rug is a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 caravan rabbithole.
    3. Lotus - the second floor of the salon is a relaxing spa. Multiple fireplaces, sauna, soaking tubs, massage tables, hot tub, lots of fountains and a huge fish tank. I find the woods relaxing, so it's done in a forest theme.
    4. The Poisoned Pen - the second floor of the bookstore has a barista with all sorts of goodies, vending machines, seating area with piano and chess set. The comic book displays are also upstairs. It's partially open to the floor below, basically because I wanted huge two story bookshelves and the very fancy chandelier.

In each of the stores, I tried to put a lot of detail. For instance, the exterior of each shop has little things. My office has real estate signs. The magic shop has several occult things. The bookstore has a clearance sign and old newspapers. The spa has a huge lotus sign. The nectary has a hanging wine bottle. I also tried to keep it decorated without being too cluttered for sims to use (yay playtesting!) and looking like something that you would actually find in a small town like this. Also, I'm a little obsessed with the built-in arches and when I discovered I could make a "tunnel" for cars to drive through the building, I had to have it as part of the design.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please :D

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:

43753846051_54bc127567_z.jpg
    It's amazing how vastly different our dream offices are! I like your nice bay window look and those drive through arch ways!
    5nd1sli.png
    Wonderful job with creating your dream offics, they are all so unique!!
    3gHHX7s.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited August 2018
    Back to Basics

Build a house for a four-person family (2 adults, 1 teen, 1 child or toddler — any genders, traditional or non-traditional family) with 3 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, kitchen, dining and living spaces, and fully landscaped on a 20 x 30 lot anywhere you choose. You may use base game materials only! The house can be any style inside and out.

vPz5U5r.png
    • §75,000
    • 20x30 lot
    • Any style in any town.

SIM CHALLENGE: Create a family (2 adults, 1 teen, 1 child or toddler) and show them enjoying life in their new home. Use base game materials only in creating them (hair, clothing, etc.).
      3gHHX7s.png
      Dm5g7dk.png

The deadline for this challenge is 31st August 2018 ** [no later than 23:59:59 EDT/New York Time]
      TvmoeFJ.png

3gHHX7s.png
    GArBA5W.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top