Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• mederouinmederouin Posts: 67 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM: New Beginnings, No. 188

NAME: Mederouin

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9079614

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/mederouin/slideshow/Build and Share 188
    Password: Beginnings (Note: is case sensitive)

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 25 X 25; Placed lot, Sunset Valley; Final Cost: 16,491

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: For this build I wanted to do something really simply, but also elegant. It was ultimately the natural building material requirement that really drove my thinking. Most houses are already built out of wood, which is a natural material, so I originally thought that it wasn't going to be a challenging requirement, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted some truth in materiality. I didn't want to hide the wood as structure or pretend I was using natural materials when it wasn't shown. Insert the yurt here. This building type is, when done in a traditional way, one of the more true construction types. It consists of a wooden lattice held in place by tension lines covered in a wool insulation and then some canvas for waterproofing. Everything is shown for what it is and displayed in a beautiful way. It had the truth in materiality I was seeking so I built a yurt. I feel like in being true to the materials I also managed to create this open space that was free flowing and spirited. The focus here became not on the inside, but the landscape. Hope you enjoy.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    “As an architect you design for the present with an awareness of the past for a future which is essentially unknown”
    -Herman Foster
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @mederouin I have helped put up a yurt before, and hung out inside! I love your tropical take on the style, and I adore that little out building/bath you made! Very cozy, small and yet still very 'light and airy' :)
  • ElleDaesElleDaes Posts: 72 Member
    edited May 2017
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    Challenge #189 – New Beginnings

NAME: ElleDaes

LINK TO LOT: n/a – too much CC to load onto the exchange and I don’t feel the need for a file sharing account.

LINK TO MEDIA: https://facebook.com/pg/ElleDaes/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1881148328792107

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: At the end of the photo gallery: be sure to read the captions.

LEVEL: Intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 72 Water Lily Lane, Sunset Valley. 16,279*.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:
    Lot Blurb: Fern Villa
    BnS 189. A 1 Bedroom, 1 Bath Victorian Inspired Starter Home. Enjoy the wrap around deck, private flower garden and welcoming exterior. Inside is a large living room, eat in kitchen, good sized bedroom and 4-piece bath. Simple, relaxed, home. Some CC.
    Details: After reading the contest storyline, I was instantly struck with the image of Ariaith, Fern Ariaith. Cue Bond music. Except this international super spy is also a level 10 Fairy. “You like this woman, she seems to radiate a certain tranquility.”…”Wait, what? You got past me into the office? Without me noticing?” Fairy Super Spy. Where would a Fairy Super Spy go to unwind and call home? Especially one that is so good at infiltration and moving undetected. A Victorian Starter with sculpted lawns, an herb garden, a tea deck, eat-in kitchen and a complete nondescript country home. Had there been room in the budget, the attic would have been transformed into a complete spy lair with alchemy, CCTV, state of the art computer system and secret access behind the bookcase. But, alas, that was not to be. Maybe an upgrade in her future?
    Fern Villa:
    A 1/1 Starter with a classic Victorian feel. The home is small without being cramped, and welcoming. A patchwork stone walkway leads up the front steps to the entrance of the house. The wrap around deck is open and airy leading from the stained-glass front door around to the tea deck overlooking the Victorian-esque gardens and herb patch. The lawn is completely overtaken by the gardens and stone flagging. It would require a dedicated yearly spring revamp, but, otherwise, minimal upkeep for a Sim who is often…”away on business”. Step in through the front door to the large living room. Hardwood floors throughout. Ample seating with a small desk area. Through the back is the kitchen with its rustic cabinetry and table for two. There is space for additional seating, but it is unnecessary at this stage of our starter Sim’s life. A small hallway leads to the comfortably sized bedroom with full bed and closet. Across from the bedroom is the 4-Piece bath with custom mirror accents, footed tub, waterfall showerhead and pedestal vanity. Back in the kitchen, you can step out through the screen door to the tea deck. A full-service tea table and chairs under a full gazebo overlooks the private yard. The lot backs onto an expansive green space. A perfect place to unwind and sip a tea or wine. Private, warm and far, far away from the stresses of work.
    *Some CC was underpriced (e.g. $1 for a chair). Look and feel mattered more than cost, so I reduced my total to compensate for any low-cost items.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:
    Thanks to the contributors at TheSimsResource.com:
    Marcorse
    Shino KCR
    Lulu265
    RicciNumbers
    Angela@TSR
    PralineSims
    BuffSim
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Morning all!! Challenge #189 New Beginnings is now closed!! Good luck everyone!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited May 2017
    Challenge #190 - Mr Boddy's Mansion

You stare at your current client in confusion.

"I'm sorry. I must have misheard you. The person who wants me to build them a house is...deceased?"

Michael Ryunoten, attorney and happy client, nods a bit ruefully.

"I know this seems a little odd. And normally, its not a case I would handle. However Mr. Boddy was my very first client when I was starting out in law and I continued to handle his transactions even after I transitioned to business law. When we made out his will, he was very specific about what he wanted. And very insistent."

"Ok. And what exactly is it he wanted?" you inquire, feeling more than a little hesitant about this.

"He wants a mansion built to some unusual specifications." He pulls out a document. "Mr. Boddy demands that his mansion be at least 2 stories. The first floor is to contain an entrance hall, leading to a central foyer. Off of this central foyer he requires a kitchen, dining room, lounge, ballroom, conservatory, billiard room, library and study. All of these are to be separate rooms. There is to be a fireplace in each of these rooms except the kitchen and conservatory. The conservatory must contain a pool. It doesn't have to be big, it simply has to be there and useable. The kitchen must have low end appliances."

You lower your pen in astonishment and disappointment. "Michael that doesn't make any sense!" you protest. "Why low end appliances?"

He gives you a regretful smile, "I am not at liberty to explain. I'm truly sorry."

He clears his throat and resumes reading. "Upstairs there are to be no less than 6 bedrooms with adjoining bathrooms, to be outfitted accordingly. However there is to be only 1 single bed in 2 of the rooms."

Suspicious now, you ask "Really Mike. You're pulling my leg now. You cant be serious."

"I'm very serious." He hands you the pertinent section of the will so you can read it for yourself.

"Each bedroom is to be decorated in one of 6 colors: red, purple, blue, green, yellow, white."

"It doesn't mention here what kind of style he wants the house built in," you observe.

"He didn't care." Mike response, leaning back in his chair a little. "You have free reign. The total budget for the house is 250k."

"Nice." You say, dubiously. Such a strange list of requirements is more than a little...disconcerting.

"And of course there's your fee." Mike gives you a number that makes your jaw drop. The amount of money being offered would pretty much leave you debt free for the next five years, and pay for that trip to Al Simhara you've been wanting! Even if you are suspicious, its hard to say no to that kind of freedom.

"Well..."

Brief:

Budget: 250k
    Any architectural style you wish
    6 bedrooms, with baths
    Each bedroom decorated in either red, blue, purple, white, yellow or green
    2 story mansion
    Landscaping
    Ballroom
    Kitchen with low end appliances
    Dining
    Lounge
    Study
    Entrance Hall
    Library
    Billiards Room
    Conservatory with pool
    All rooms must have doors
    All first floor rooms must have fireplaces except the conservatory and the kitchen
    Bonus points for additional methods of potential death from the other expansions.

Optional Challenge

Play clue with Mr. Boddy's guests!

Mr. Boddy is a vengeful ghost out to get the sims he feels had a hand in his death. So he invites them to the newly built mansion. Rules are simple: First determine order of play. Miss Scarlett always goes first. Then roll a dice to determine who goes next. Once order of play is established, roll for the room Miss Scarlett is sent to. All doors are to be locked between dice rolls. No wandering sims. You have 8 sim hours to kill the sim in that room with the rooms method of death. Example: Miss Peacock gets sent to the observatory. You have 8 hours to drown her in the pool. After the 8 hours, you can let her out of the pool but she must stay in the observatory until her next turn.

After the 8 hours of potential death are up, each sim can amuse themselves or fill whatever needs are available to fill in that room. They may not leave the room till their next turn though. You may have turns concurrently. Example: Miss Peacock has to drown, so you lock her in the pool. You can then roll for the next sim and send them to the room of their potential death. You may have multiple sims in the same room, attempting to die the same way. If you wish to drag out the game play, you can insert a bonus round and give 1 sim the chance to recover their needs to keep them going longer.

The winner and inheritor of the estate is the last surviving Sim. They just have to live with the ghost of the murderous Mr. Boddy for the rest of their lives.

Deadline: Wednesday, May 31st, 2017, Midnight EST
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    This is so awesome! I absolutely love this game and I love this challenge. It's out of my comfort zone as well, so I may give it a bash.

Question about the characters. I'm used to - from the board game - Miss Scarlett, Colonel Mustard, Mrs White, Mr Green, Mrs Peacock and Professor Plum...and from the film - Wadsworth - is that ok to use these ones and make them a combination of the film and board game? For instance in the film, Miss Scarlett doesn't wear red...or would you prefer that it follows the traditional board game?
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Ha ha! I love this- Can't wait to get started. And I'm definitely going to try the game!
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited May 2017
    So, only two beds, and both of them single? OR only two single beds and the rest double?

And, does each bedroom get its own bath or can their be baths between two bedrooms, Jack and Jill style?

Also, nice build and very pretty landscaping Elle.
    Post edited by ciane on
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,261 Member

O my, these briefs are getting even more creative. I don't think I could bring myself to deliberately kill my sims however the mansion build does sound intriguing :wink:
    edited May 2017
    @BuildnShare Can we have more than two stories/can the bedrooms be split between a second and third story? Can there be a basement?

Can rooms be connected in any way other than through the foyer/hallways? Can any other rooms have exterior doors?

Also does it matter where the stairs are located, or how many?

Can we add rooms like a powder or coat closet?
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    soocoolsim wrote: »
    O my, these briefs are getting even more creative. I don't think I could bring myself to deliberately kill my sims however the mansion build does sound intriguing :wink:

I won't be killing of the sims off either, but recreating the board game sounds fun.
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    Hm... I may actually join in on this one... if I can pull myself away from tomb building for a while. :lol:

I might even see if I can scrounge up our old board game, and try to duplicate the layout in that, if it's possible. It might not be, with all those secret passages that popped you across the board.

Btw, how do you make a Sim drown without walling around the pool? Won't he or she pull simself out of the pool automatically? Not that I've ever tried it; like some of the others, I've never deliberately killed a Sim, and I'm not sure I can convince myself to do it now. But I MIGHT playtest it with the board game characters, just for grins and giggles. :)
    It was very easy to copy the board game, @MiaSkywalker. You don't even have to pull yours out. You can look up images on the internet, which is what I did. It's very easy because the spaces are all laid out nicely for dice moves. I've got the building done with windows and walls, but haven't finished wallpapering yet or put in all the doors (or even the roof).
    @Ciane, you're always so fast! It's so amazing that you do such artistic builds, and yet so quickly! I'll probably take much longer to do it, and it will need to wait until I finish my current project for CM. :)

Weren't there two versions of the board game? My family played that game for years, and I recall that a second version came out with more characters and a more complex layout. Is this challenge for this is the earlier, simpler one? Wasn't the ballroom in the later version of the game, not the earlier one? I could be wrong. The movie mixed both versions, as I recall. Been a long time since I've either played, or watched the movie.
    I've seen different boards, but the layouts were all the same basic ones. There is Cluedo and Clue Jr as well as Clue Classic.
    edited May 2017
    @MiaSkywalker @ciane since I had already had it drawn up, I'm heavily plagiarizing Monticello for this one :mrgreen: Got the floor plan done in CAD, though some of it may depend on the answers to some questions whether I revise some.
    edited May 2017
    @MiaSkywalker

Weren't there two versions of the board game? My family played that game for years, and I recall that a second version came out with more characters and a more complex layout. Is this challenge for this is the earlier, simpler one?

I don't think you have to recreate the board, I think this challenge is simply based on the concepts of the game. You could probably even make a medieval version if you want, the style was left up to us! Maybe a Clue Castle!

(hmmm... maybe *I* like that idea. lol)
    @creativemetaphor - I have turrets, but no castle. I do think the castle idea will work well for you.

I've got the roof and wallpaper everywhere now, so it's time to start having fun adding the furnishings.
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,261 Member

Wow you ladies are super speedy! Can't wait to see your builds. I've never played Clue but my daughters likely have since I took at look at our games cabinet and there was a "Family Guy" version staring me in the face. That would certainly be some interesting 'mansion', lol :smiley:
    @aricarai Only the names matter. Make them look like what you want.

@ciane 2 single beds in the entire manor. Its to make it harder for the sims to refill their needs if they don't get the bonus round (If you use that rule.) Individual bathrooms would be preferable. This is a mansion.

@creativemetaphor The brief specified 2 stories with the bedrooms on the second floor. You may add a basement, but the rooms specified need to be on the first or second floors. They can have balconies that are connected but keep in mind that it will be more difficult to lock the doors and keep sims where they are supposed to be during their turn. (We know not everyone is going to play the game, but the house is supposed to be designed to play it.) There should be at least 1 set of stairs in the central foyer, but additional is up to you. And yes you may add a powder room to the downstairs.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Well, I did give them all their own baths and only put in two single beds, but I did put in double beds in the other bedrooms. I don't plan to play the game; and if anyone wanted to use my home to play your game, they could easily delete those extra beds. It might be a mansion, but I went through almost the entire 250k on the build and downstairs alone. I had to do some selling of lights and swapping of other items to scrimp together enough for the bedrooms upstairs. It's good that I only do this for fun!

My mansion is all done except for the CASting now. (I used the section behind the stairs that says Clue as my powder room.)
    edited May 2017
    @ciane I wasn't planning to put *this* build on the exchange, but an upgraded version. But for picture taking, no extra beds, low end kitchen, and some weirdly placed items intended to cause unfortunate and untimely shuffling off of mortal coils. ;)

This also may have inspired a "50 ways to kill your simmer" parody this morning while making breakfast...

Get shut in the bed, Fred
    Knock on Death's door, Cor
    Or jump in the pool, fool
    And let yourself drown
    @creativemetaphor: I wish there was still a lol option - your song made me laugh!

I also never commented on your treehouse build (I think). I loved it! It was so creative, I was amazed that you managed it for the starter price of 16,500. I wonder, though - does the tree going up the middle cause any routing problems? Did you have to wall it off from the inside, or did it become invisible and behave as though it weren't there?
    @MiaSkywalker Yeah, I squeezed every last penny out of that build, using a lot of free/low cost stuff!

The tree didn't cause any issues at all - it disappears when you zoom in - *except* for at the base. If I put a stair going from the ground up it caused routing issues but anything above the point at which it connected to the ground was fine. If I had put a foundation around the base of the tree I could have stacked the stairs but I didn't think of it until it was too late.

Oh and there is still a LOL option, just type lol with colons on either side -> :lol:
    edited May 2017
    @MiaSkywalker Yeah, I squeezed every last penny out of that build, using a lot of free/low cost stuff!

The tree didn't cause any issues at all - it disappears when you zoom in - *except* for at the base. If I put a stair going from the ground up it caused routing issues but anything above the point at which it connected to the ground was fine. If I had put a foundation around the base of the tree I could have stacked the stairs but I didn't think of it until it was too late.

Oh and there is still a LOL option, just type lol with colons on either side -> :lol:
    Yeah, but no LOL option for the post itself. :)

The problem is, could you have placed the foundation there? I think you might have had a problem, because the foundation wouldn't have wanted to place. You MIGHT have been able to force it around the tree (or of course, you could have MOOed the tree after placing the foundation), but if you just did a foundation around the tree and not all the way across, the round stairs might not have placed down. Or if they did, they might not work right because of a lack of foundation.

I don't know that it would have been easy, in other words. You might TRY it in a later build, as an experiment, but it might become an experiment in frustration. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top