Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
edited February 14 in Nominated Threads
nrMxwDI.pngf0QDFrV.pngoPsl3Pc.pngf0QDFrV.pngAz4BO1v.pngf0QDFrV.pngqkXexiw.png

WELCOME to BuildnShare! Originally started by @addict1220, this challenge has been running strong since June of 2009. For those new to the challenge, you may want to read the information in the second post to see more information about Build-n-Share.

<3 , Your BnS Hosts

bj1Z3cS.png

You have just sat back down behind your desk opposite the elderly couple when the man speaks.
“We heard how you helped our friends when their homes flooded, and hope you can help us too,” Robin Nestlehut begins.
“I would love to help. Tell me what I can do for you,” you request, imagining that they must have lost their home in a similar natural disaster.
“It’s nothing like you must be thinking, please forgive us,” Robin’s wife, Wren, speaks up. “We have a big old farmhouse and a large farm to go with it.”
“Unfortunately, we can’t keep it up ourselves anymore and none of our children are interested in coming home to take it over, so we have to sell.” Robin looks away wistfully for a moment, then seems to brighten. “But we’ve decided to use the opportunity to downsize. We would like a small house with a small yard, which will be easier for us to care for.”
“Two bedrooms would be nice, one could serve as both a guest room and a hobby room,” Wren adds. “We’ll need two bathrooms as well.”
“Our favorite room in the farmhouse was the sunroom, so we would prefer a sunroom in the new house,” Robin requests.
“I think we can work with that. I hope you love your new home just as much as your old one,” you say.

The Brief:
*Budget: 35,000
The house needs:
*At least 2 beds and 2 baths
*One room must double as a guest room and hobby room.
*A sunroom
*The usual kitchen, living and dining areas.

Sims Challenge: Create Robin and Wren Nestlehut and show them enjoying their new home. Be sure to show all of their outfits in the slideshow.

The deadline for this challenge is Wednesday, March 31, 2021, no later than 23:59:59 New York Time/EST

TvmoeFJ.png

3gHHX7s.png

0NNKW7o.png

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #236 Empty Nest
NAME: your forum id
LINK TO LOT:
LINK TO MEDIA: your entry will be judged on your pictures
OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: if you entered the optional challenge, include a link here
LEVEL: beginner, intermediate, or advanced
LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST:
LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: tell us about your build, include any details and rationale that might not be obvious from your pictures
CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: "yes" if you'd like suggestions for improvement, "no" if you'd like only positive feedback
CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:
TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)

A reminder to use the entry form as is. If you are adding any pictures, please limit them to two per entry post and place them at the bottom of the entry form.
GArBA5W.jpg
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited April 2018

Welcome to the Build-n-Share Monthly Challenge!

The Build-n-Share challenges will be posted on the first of every month and run for one month. Results will be posted approximately one week after all entries have been submitted in the Winner's Circle thread.

And you can keep up to date with challenge details and winners on our social media:

7ahTydR.pngebsgwc8.pngLJFJgVG.png239qsym.png

MSx3DN9.png
    1. All entries must be original work. Any competitor who submits another builder’s work will be disqualified and banned from any future Build-n-Share challenge. These competitors will also be removed from the Builders' Boulevard related websites if they have chosen to join (membership to the site and the Yahoo! group are not required to enter a Build-n-Share challenge).
    2. Playing your lot to purposefully allow depreciation, i.e. to allow you to buy more stuff for the budget, is not allowed, you can of course play test your lot, but please make a note of the cost of the lot prior to testing and state this as your lot price. Also using 'low value/high quality' CC is a no no.
    3. Please announce your official lot posting using the entry form. Make sure to leave the "Official Entry" label in red. This will help us see the entries in a sea of posts.
    4. Entries must be submitted by midnight on the deadline (eastern time, USA).
    5. Your media should include a variety of screenshots to best showcase your entry. Please include at least one clear shot of the main floorplan of the build. If your build has multiple floors, please take a screenshot of each floor.
    3gHHX7s.png

LsXtJMe.png

Beginner--I have a little experience, but I'm still figuring a lot of things out. I would not call myself an official "builder" at this point.

Intermediate--I have been building for awhile. I know the basics and maybe a little more. I enjoy building, but it is not my primary focus with the game.

Advanced--I know the Sims, and the Sims knows me. My name is familiar to a lot of veteran players, and I've competed in and won some building challenges and maybe even been recognized in a community showcase or two. I know most of the cheats AND I know how to use them.
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited April 2019

The benefits
    First place will be awarded at all levels. If there are at least eight entries in a category, up to four places will also be announced. Challenges also create an opportunity for community on the forum site. We get to know one another’s names, share news, builds, and positive words. This is a chance to get your name out there, and hopefully make a few friends along the way.

What makes this challenge different from all the other ones I've seen?
    We have been hosting this weekly challenge since the first week the game was released. We have many levels of builders in our community and welcome them all. This group is truly a product of all its great members!

Within the first few challenges, our group was recognized by the gurus that be, who have helped the weekly challenges gain even more popularity be stickying both Build-n-Share threads. Since then, we have had at least one featured creation almost every week, and our list of featured members continues to grow.

With 5 successful collaborative neighborhoods (Gnomelandia, Summer of Love, NYC, Sanshi Sumei and Olde Fairy Tale Village ) completed, Build-n-Share hopes to bring more creative challenges and new neighborhood ideas to the community with the help of our dedicated participants who willingly contribute and help each week to make sure each challenge runs smoothly.

Looking for more challenges? Check out the Build Challenges thread created by @rosemow

3gHHX7s.png

Ehz2Ok1.png

Big thanks to Faith of Kaela for putting this together!
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/769877/sims-4-buildnshare-archives

3gHHX7s.png

6qgzstS.png

6qgzstS.png
    xmwcgSb.pngwFg8w09.pngBiUuKKy.pngXX9gjHg.jpgZCQT70e.png
    fAf43FZ.pngmnFchvj.pngya5CY1O.pngSioZH28.pngigSq9GX.png
    2Xx219i.jpg1ETjUHo.pnguWQsJYg.png3CrCSwV.png

FnrtB6O.png

Evr8gb9.pngqqZPIyP.pngAwrVrqo.jpg17LmxcT.png

@Kittkat7147 - Challenge Admin & TS4 judge
    @Masajo - TS4 judge, Entry Organizer and Archivist
    @lebanna - TS4 judge
    @gmcrozier - TS4 judge
    @BreeMiles - Tremendous Tweeter
    @SimTresa - TS4 Judge & Challenge Creator
    @SheriGR - TS4 Judge & Fearless Facebooker
    @Pronterus - TS4 Judge
    @Allears - Image Wrangler

@Ciane - TS3 Challenge Host & TS3 Judge
    @_Princess_Natasha_ - TS3 judge
    @creativemetaphor - TS3 judge and comer upper of challenges
    @FidgetyAtom - discord moderator and general lay about

3gHHX7s.png

s1U9APL.png
    1. Since judging will be based on screenshots, we figured this would be a good time to go over some tips and tricks in taking good screenshots to help showcase your lovely builds.
    2. Camera Man Mode - This is a must in taking good shots! You will have to be in live mode to do this, but just hit "TAB" to enter this mode. Once you are in this mode, you can use the mouse to freely control the angles and use "W, A, S, D" buttons to move forward, backwards, and side to side. "Z" zooms in, "X" zooms out. "Q" moves up and "E" moves down. "C" to capture the shot.
    3. Find the perfect angle - With photography, it is all about finding the right angle. Spend some time in camera man mode to find the perfect angle. Get down to a sim's point of view to take the best shots of rooms.
    4. Walls up - Most people play with walls cut away, but when you are taking pictures of your lot, try to keep your walls up to make your shots look more realistic.
    5. No grids - Unless you need to show the grid for a specific purpose, make sure no build/buy grid is visible when you take your pictures. You can avoid this by taking pictures in live mode or by hitting 'G' button in build mode.
    6. More is better—Weird, huh? But in this case, we want to make sure judges have enough shots to fairly judge your lot. Be sure to show off each room with at least one picture. Also, please include an overhead shot of the floorplan for each level.

Ok, those are the basics! If you want to further your simatography skills, we highly recommend you visit http://simatography.webs.com for more tips and tricks and to see some excellent shots taken by professional simatographers!

Please try to keep this thread as photo free as possible and create a slide show to illustrate your lots.

3gHHX7s.png

M4KS7vQ.png

Here are just a few tips to get you started. If you know a few more and are willing to give them up to the competition , feel free to post below with more info!

Walls:
    • Are expensive. Use alternatives whenever possible.
    • Open layouts work nicely for starters. Just use natural transitioning and create "areas" instead (ie. the kitchen opens onto the living room, instead of being its own little room.)
    • Simple foundation basements are nice because they are made out of foundation, which is cheaper, and they add a whole lot of room to your house. If you leave them bare with brick walls, they cost even less. (I would at least cover the floor, though.) Attics can be good for the same reason. If you use a pointy roof and the house is big enough, there is some area under the highest point of the roof that's usable. All it costs to utilize this space is a set of the cheapest stairs and some inexpensive flooring.
    • Diagonal walls can be a little awkward, but because they can go from corner to corner and are wider than regular walls, you get a "room" out of one wall.

Foundations:
    • Whether you are going to use a basement or not, hollow out the middle of your foundation floors. You really only need foundation around the outer edge of your home so your walls aren't floating in outerspace. When you use ctrl with the foundation tool, it erases foundation. If the area is still closed in with walls and a border of foundation, you usually are left with a floating floor. If the tile grid "disappears," start from the outside and work your way in. Each new row of floor will add the grid for the row after it. Soon, the whole room is covered.
    • Deleting the foundation has a second advantage: you can create little sunk-in areas with a set of stairs. Kind of a fun design twist that's cheap.

Columns:
    • Also expensive. You know that carport? Instead of columns, you might consider using a two-level patio foundation (the one with the wood slats). Build the patio foundation. Then, on top of that one, hit shift and drag another patio foundation. They stack and become taller. High enough for that carport roof.
    • You also don't "need" all the columns. If you're trying to get flooring above a column, use the column, add the floor, and then delete the column. Voila! Floating tiles. I wouldn't have a massive floating object with no columns, but a few less than you need helps pinch pennies when you're talking starter.

Wall coverings:
    • This is something I've figured out in Sims 3. I probably shouldn't tell you if you haven't done it yet...find the cheapest wall with no built-in pattern you can find (I use Flat Wall in the paint section). Click on it with the create-a-style tool. Go to your brick or whatever other more expensive pattern you want and select it. Your brick wall now costs about $3 less per panel then if you just did it the normal way.

Floorplan:
    • Always go small. More walls=more money. They're expensive, and you have to cover them. Make it big enough that the sim can move around. But if they outgrow the house, they can always add on later. This is probably the biggest money-saver for starters.

Windows:
    • Check window prices carefully. Some of the double windows will be cheaper than using two of the smaller ones. It's usually not by much, but if you're doing a whole wall of them, it can add up.
    • Build and build again: The cool thing about starters is you can build them pretty quickly. I usually find the more I build consecutively, the more I can get in and for less money.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited May 2018

leXIH1M.png

@aricarai is the Advanced Category winner of #Sims3 BnS 201 - The Hawthorne Project II! Their cottage is not currently available for download, but you can take a look at it HERE.

27948170228_e2033baa90_z.jpg
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited May 2018
    tMKK1hi.png

@Kgaff is the Intermediate level winner for #Sims3 BnS 201 - The Hawthorne Project II! Congratulations! It's not available for download, but you can see more HERE.

rIk063Q.jpg

@Kesminlix is the Beginner level winner for #Sims3 BnS 201 - The Hawthorne Project II! You can DOWNLOAD this adorable little cottage from the Gallery.

2dVXXeH.jpg
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited May 2011
    Hi all! This will be our temporary thread for Build-n-Share until Addict is back. I hope you'll join this starter challenge in honor of the master of all starters... Addict! Let me know if you have any questions about the challenge. I'll have the "helpful links" section updated ASAP.

Kat :-)
  • AnjubeeAnjubee Posts: 1,935 Member
    edited May 2011
    Big congrats to Addict on her new baby!

Hi guys! Hope everyone in the Build-n-Share community is doing well. I know I haven't been around in ages, but I am so glad to see we are still going. I needed a long break from all the responsibilities. Thank you to everyone who is picking up the slack. :)

I am so excited to see we are approaching the 100th challenge! I can't wait to see what it is going to be.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out while Addict is busy.

Cheers and happy simming! <3
  • ScoiattoloScoiattolo Posts: 932
    edited May 2011
    bump
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • mgolden27mgolden27 Posts: 369 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Can't wait to start. I never got the chance to finish my build for the last one. We had way too much going on with plays, volleyball tournaments, and field trips. :)
  • JoubertCGJoubertCG Posts: 106 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Hopefully will be jumping back in on this build.

Congrats Addict!
    edited May 2011
    Great, mgolden & Joubert :D Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    edited May 2011
    Anjubee wrote:
    Big congrats to Addict on her new baby!

Hi guys! Hope everyone in the Build-n-Share community is doing well. I know I haven't been around in ages, but I am so glad to see we are still going. I needed a long break from all the responsibilities. Thank you to everyone who is picking up the slack. :)

I am so excited to see we are approaching the 100th challenge! I can't wait to see what it is going to be.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out while Addict is busy.

Cheers and happy simming! <3

Hey Anju :) Haven't seen you around is so long! I'll send you a message on BB.
  • AnonymousMistAnonymousMist Posts: 133 New Member
    edited May 2011
    OFFICIAL ENTRY
    #98-99 The Foxglove Starter

NAME: anonymousMist

LINK TO LOT: http://www.mediafire.com/?briy85b9amyopad

LINK TO MEDIA: Album: http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/Anonymous_Mist/Build-N-Share/Foxgllove Starter/
    Page: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/373878.page#5291937

LEVEL: Intermediate

LOT SIZE ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30 $16,430 (approx)

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Starter for Ms. Foxglove (http://www.mediafire.com/?kam1w7nuyuve746). 1 bed 1 bath, 1 study for her to advance in her chosen career, a living/dining/kitchen room.
    Exterior & Interior French Country inspired. I just love their use of bricks and stones in their construction. Garden outback is a French twist on the English garden so I hope you all like it ^_^ (It would have been better but I was running out of simoleons lol)

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please. This is my real attempt at a semi-classy starter home and the amount of corners I cut was ridiculous, and I would love to improve. thanks

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: No Custom Content...I believe.

edited May 2011
    Yay - first entry :) Leaving you a virtual rec, AM!
    edited May 2011
    mgolden27 wrote:
    Can't wait to start. I never got the chance to finish my build for the last one. We had way too much going on with plays, volleyball tournaments, and field trips. :)

Hey there! Do you have a different username on BB? I was trying to message you there, but I don't see mgolden27.
  • AnonymousMistAnonymousMist Posts: 133 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Yay - first entry :) Leaving you a virtual rec, AM!

Yay! Thanks Kitt. Was kinda hard, i built like 4 different houses but always ran over the limit >.>

I have one that I think I'll complete anyway, its just too cute >.<
  • mgolden27mgolden27 Posts: 369 New Member
    edited May 2011
    mgolden27 wrote:

Hey there! Do you have a different username on BB? I was trying to message you there, but I don't see mgolden27.

Yeah, I do. Lol, don't know why I ever put that as my user name here. Oops, it's milynn on BB though. :D
  • Gallifrey103Gallifrey103 Posts: 18
    edited May 2011
    I can't find the 'entry form' from the second post. Where is it? :?:
    edited May 2011

Here is the form to use:

OFFICIAL ENTRY (It helps to include the particular challenge, too!)

NAME: (your TS3 name)

LINK TO LOT: (link to where your lot can be found/downloaded. This can be on the Exchange or some other uploading site like mediafire. It is also not strictly necessary to link to your lot. The judging is based on your media only.)

LINK TO MEDIA:http: (link to the pictures/slides you've taken of your lot. Be sure your pictures show everything you want the judges to see. Too many pictures are better than not enough. Try for some close ups as well as distance shots. Simmers post their slideshows on many different sites including the Exchange and Photobucket.)

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: (Sometimes there is an optional challenge besides the creation of the main lot. If you've entered the optional challenge, post your links to media and optional item here.)

LEVEL: (beginner, intermediate or advanced)

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST:

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISIM:

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:
    edited May 2011
    Scoiattolo wrote:

Here is the form to use:

Thanks Scoiattolo! The first post is updated with the entry form now.
  • Alicat84Alicat84 Posts: 65 New Member
    edited May 2011
    This looks interesting! I've never played before. Can I ask is the house expected to be fully furnished with that budget?
  • kelly_jdwkelly_jdw Posts: 4
    edited May 2011
    OFFICIAL ENTRY

(NAME: (kelly_jdw)

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4104587

LINK TO MEDIA:http: http://www.thesims3.com/myMedia.html?action=default&persona=kelly_jdw

LEVEL: beginner

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20*30 Cost is exactly $16,500

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: This is a small starter house as asked for. It contains a smaller living space with loveseat and TV, a Kitchen just big enough to do everything you need in with a little elbow room, a bathroom that is actually very nice compared to the price of the house, and a bedroom perfect for a single sim. Out back is a beautiful garden as well as a sitting swing. The front contains some landscaping as well.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Sure why not. Anything to make my houses both for these projects and on my own time better.
    edited May 2011
    Alicat84 wrote:
    This looks interesting! I've never played before. Can I ask is the house expected to be fully furnished with that budget?

Yes, it is expected to be furnished—how fully you can do it is part of the challenge! Some people use CC in order to come in under budget, but you don't have to. Hope you give it a try!
  • Sherio88Sherio88 Posts: 1,236 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Saw this on facebook, and thought I'd give it a try cuz I've never built a starter house before... fully furnished! Its HARD!

OFFICIAL ENTRY: Build-n-Share 98/99 - The Foxglove Starter

NAME: Sherio88

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4104599

LINK TO MEDIA:
    http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/610/665/008/00/screenshot_original.jpg
    -
    http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/608/665/008/00/screenshot_original.jpg
    -
    http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/607/665/008/00/screenshot_original.jpg
    -
    http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/602/665/008/00/screenshot_original.jpg
    -
    http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/603/665/008/00/screenshot_original.jpg
    http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/606/665/008/00/screenshot_original.jpg
    -
    http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/605/665/008/00/screenshot_original.jpg
    -
    http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/600/665/008/00/screenshot_original.jpg
    -
    http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/601/665/008/00/screenshot_original.jpg
    -
    http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/598/665/008/00/screenshot_original.jpg
    -http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/729/665/008/00/screenshot_original.jpg

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE:

LEVEL: Beginner-Intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30, 178 Savannah lane (Twinbrook) 16,492

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:

Daisybloom Cottage:
    Looking for a quaint country home to start off with? Give Daisybloom Cottage a try. The calming color scheme and layout give this starter home both a unique and familiar feel.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Sure have at it lol.

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: All EA content

**edit Forgot to add a screen of the bathroom. It's now on the list of media
    edited May 2011
    kelly_jdw wrote:
    OFFICIAL ENTRY

(NAME: (kelly_jdw)

LINK TO MEDIA:http: http://www.thesims3.com/myMedia.html?action=default&persona=kelly_jdw

You've linked to your Media page in your studio, but that isn't what is required in this challenge! Take some screenshots of your house (make sure to do both inside and outside) and assemble them into a slideshow. You can either use Create-a-Story on the TS3 website and then link to your story on the Exchange or use one of the other photo storing sites like Photobucket. Be sure to take screenshots from all angles so that everything you want the judges to see is in your media presentation. And overhead shots showing the layout of your house is always appreciated by the judges too! Remember, the judging is done from you screenshots—not from downloading the lot itself. Thanks, and good luck with the challenge!
    edited May 2011
    Alicat84 wrote:

And check the two tutorials that are linked in the 1st post on page 1. Addict has some fantastic tips for stretching your dollar :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top