Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited January 2017
    @naokithefiend - We don't have a problem with you referencing our challenges. All we ask is that you please add a link to this thread so that anyone can find our current challenge as well.
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • naokithefiendnaokithefiend Posts: 53 Member
    @BuildnShare Agreed, I see no reason your terms can not be met, they are very reasonale indeed and I do look foward to this months debut.
  • hannahc1023hannahc1023 Posts: 55 Member
    Oof, 175k sounded like a lot... I'm over budget and I haven't finished furnishing the bedrooms! :D Back to the drawing board it is.
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I'm doing- okay- budget wise. I can't get EVERYTHING I want (lol) but it is coming along and I'm quite happy with it. I might be done and posted by tomorrow in fact.
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    I'm done with the building and getting ready for pictures. I'm really happy with what I did. You will be surprised by how much it is unfurnished :p
    Kgaff wrote: »
    I'm done with the building and getting ready for pictures. I'm really happy with what I did. You will be surprised by how much it is unfurnished :p

LOL! Ha ha ha!
  • paneingerpaneinger Posts: 214 Member
    I didn't even get to building this one - I went and downloaded a bunch of CC for the house, then started doing some renovation on my current house with the awesome CC items :D
    Okay, here's my entry for The Real Housewives of Sunset Valley

Screenshot-200_zpskaeptcao.jpg

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM Build-n-Share Challenge #185 - The Real Housewives of Sunset Valley

NAME: JasonAnthonySterling (Gallery I.D. TonySterling)

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9035233

LINK TO MEDIA: Facebook Album: https://www.facebook.com/pg/MyWorldofSims/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1158090694306353

YouTube Speed Build: https://youtu.be/qfP1d7pwcRk

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Experienced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 60x60 15 Summer Hill Ct. $174,998

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Modern Coastal Mediterranean Style 4 bedroom/4 baths w/ 2 additional guest baths for use when entertaining- 2 car garage w/laundry- fully landscaped w/ pool, hot tub, two elevated patios, bar and a putting green outside- two story formal living/dining with a bar for entertaining (bar stereo is wired to the first floor public space speakers inside and out for music- gourmet "Tuscan Style" kitchen with all modern appliances, including the ever elusive coffee maker (!)- three bedrooms/ensuite on the first floor- Family room and master bedroom/bath/walk in closet/balcony on second level.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Certainly.

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @JasonAnthonySterling - Awesome job! How'd you do that speed build? I definitely need to learn how to do that. Your house looks pretty amazing! :mrgreen:
    Build n Share entry form

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM: CHALLENGE #185 HOUSEWIVES OF SUNSET VALLEY

NAME: Kgaff

LINK TO LOT: not uploaded yet

HWSV%20001%201_zpsdjq8xdlr.jpg

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/KGaff/slideshow/BnS 185 Housewives of Sunset Valley

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: I played with genetics for the kids and left them the way they were created in CAS.
    http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/KGaff/slideshow/BnS 185 Housewives of Sunset Valley/The Family

LEVEL: Intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 15 Summer Hill Ct. (Sunset Valley) 60x60 175,000

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Grande Vista
    I chose this Italianate style house that has 2 stories and a two car garage. Low-pitched roofs, overhanging eaves with tall, narrow windows arched and/or curved above and a square cupola above the front doorway.
    This home features a huge master suite that is the length of the house with a private sitting room, a bedroom that opens to the pool and spa and large bath. A butler's room with bath and separate entrance are at the other end of the first floor. There are two more bedrooms upstairs with separate baths. There is also a laundry room, guest bath and a small "pool" bath off the patio.
    A large formal living room is the main focus of the house with a large kitchen with access to the dining room and the living room. A den is just next to the front door.
    The second floor is all about kids and family with tv, stereo, kids play stuff and the two kids bedrooms both with private bathroom.
    The back of the house has a large patio area covered by a pergola that extends the entire length of the house and is partly covered with heather. There is a bbq area with fireplace, a separate bar area for the pool and yes, that is a tennis court (even though they can't play, I always wanted to make one). There is also a play area for the kids and a fire pit.
    At the edge of the property facing the ocean is a small gazebo for watching the sun go down.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    When I got the shell done for the house it was only 79,000 and change, so I decided to add the tennis court and the playground
    @Kgaff - WOW! I'm blown away; that's stunning! Fab job!
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Crumbs @Kgaff - what an amazing build!! So impressed!!
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
    aricarai wrote: »
    @JasonAnthonySterling - Awesome job! How'd you do that speed build? I definitely need to learn how to do that. Your house looks pretty amazing! :mrgreen:

@aricarai Thanks!

Speed builds are farily easy but a little time consuming. I can't speak for everyone and mind you this is only my second speed video (the first one was for a Sims 4 apartment build) but I start by building the entire structure and then going back and re-building it on another lot or another save, using notes from the first build. In this way people don't have to watch me try out three hundred patterns on a sofa in CASt, which even at 8x speed is dull-lol. To record I use X-Split Gamecaster but Windows 10 comes with a screen recorder that should work as well for this sort of application. I record the build as I do it the second time, section by section- creating several different clips that I string together into Windows Movie Maker (it also comes with Windows 10) and change the new full clip speed to anywhere between 8x and 32x speed depending on the portion being built. After that I go back and record narration bit by bit- like I'll record a quick bit over the living room build out- first i watch the bit to get a feel for what the viewer is seeing and how much time I have to speak. Then I go back and record (again using Windows Movie Maker). After that, in this case, I added a musical background which I am moderately happy with. I may do it again in the future or skip it depending on my mood. Keep in mind anytime you use copyrighted music as I did then you can not monetize the video (if you were thinking of doing so) and the owner of the copyright can place ads on the video with their music in it, even if you'd rather not have them there. You really don't get a lot of money from ads on Youtube unless you get like a million views (HA!) so I really don't care if the holder of the copyright gets the money when I use copyrighted music. Then you just upload the video to your channel. I always use HD rendering for the movie but there are other options that use less storage space and upload faster if you have a slower connection. The quality will be less of course.

If you ever have any specific questions (I'm not real sure how clear the above explanation is) please just ask and I'll do my best to answer.

@Kgaff - Great build! I love the idea of putting in a tennis court!
    @JasonAnthonySterling - holy moly, so you build and then you RE-BUILD the exact same thing?! How long did that take you with this build? I'm such a slow builder that I don't know if I'd be able to do that! Haha. Massive kudos to you!
    aricarai wrote: »
    @JasonAnthonySterling - holy moly, so you build and then you RE-BUILD the exact same thing?! How long did that take you with this build? I'm such a slow builder that I don't know if I'd be able to do that! Haha. Massive kudos to you!

@aricarai LOL- the second build is very quick (well, quicker- lol) because you are just making a copy and don't have to spend any time making choices or rearranging the floor plan ect. That's why I would never do a speed build illustrating me building from scratch- IT WOULD LAST FOREVER! I spend a lot of time switching things around and trying different placements and so on. This speed build I did work on and off throughout a day- probably quite a bit longer than I realize but I'm so new at it that I will most likely get faster over time. If I were doing a smaller simpler build without much CASt use I might do a speed build just as I'm doing it- no copy but basically it'd be pretty vanilla- just what colors and patterns exist pre-defined with a more typical layout.

So, @JasonAnthonySterling, you not only designed and built a house, twice :o , you did all that recording, narrating and mixing in music :smiley: but you did all in 17 days!!! :astonished: That is truly amazing, consider my mind blown :D
    @Kgaff LOL- I can't take too much credit- Window's Movie Maker is a fairly easy and intuitive piece of software. It helped a lot.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Awesome builds and the speed-build is kind of fun to watch too. (I need those for shorter attention spans! Pre-build and then 32x, huh? Cool.)
    edited January 2017
    I finished mine. You can see some pics in the upload, but I'm not going to post a bunch a pics since I only do this for fun any way.

roof_up_original.jpg

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9038450

The price was exactly 175k and I did not move a sim onto the lot, so no depreciation. :)
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    I finished mine. You can see some pics in the upload, but I'm not going to post a bunch a pics since I only do this for fun any way.

roof_up_original.jpg

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9038450

The price was exactly 175k and I did not move a sim onto the lot, so no depreciation. :)

Awesome build @ciane!!! We are really impressed at how much you got in on the budget.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited January 2017
    Awesome build @ciane!!! We are really impressed at how much you got in on the budget.

Well, you'll notice that house is really compact front to back. The center is mostly just hall. The basement was dug in, so there is only foundation around the edges. All the main floors are free wood. The walls are pool walls, so next step up from free. And, of course, instead of using what I'd really like, I picked the cheapest piece that would work. Those $10 night lights are used in the spa, hot tub, baths, halls, and the butler quarters. And, of course, I used terrain paint instead of outdoor tile. I also mentioned earlier that the fence underneath the gates is much cheaper fence. (It's that 3/4 tall brick.) Lots of the really cheap curtains are actually very nice looking, so that helped a lot!

Looking closer, you'll see that the pool has lights, but no ladder, slide, fountains or other fun water stuff. You also may notice a distinct lack of art on the wall. There just wasn't any room in the budget for non-essentials, minus a cheap box of tissue or some pencils and a pad of paper. I couldn't even afford an easel for the artistic teen: He got a sketch pad placed on one of the pool side tables.

I know not many rich homes would have the cheapest toilets, but here I imagined the family wanted to seem richer than they really were. So, where others wouldn't see, they scrimped! Those cheap showers (not the cold water ones, but the public use ones) came in quite handy. I only bought one nice shower/tub combo. ;) And, horror of horrors, there is NO DISHWASHER or laundry!

It was a real challenge with that budget. And, I LOVE a real challenge. Thank you.

@Ciane Nice house! I wish I had thought of using the pizza maker! I was trying to think of another appliance to add and that would have been perfect, along with fitting the theme well.
    I love the moodlet they get from fresh baked bread and the pizza oven is cheap! The grill too is cheap and I love to make stir fried veggies. :)
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    5 days to the end and suddenly I kinda want to do this one. >.>
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Okay, well, I think I won't enter, but I'll finish what I'm building. My ambition got the better of the budget and there's no time to start over but I am loving what I'm doing at least :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top