March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My first Tutorial! - House Apartment Building!! - ;D

MrCrumplebottom1MrCrumplebottom1 Posts: 1,843 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
So after many requests, from people on msn and online, I decided to make a tutorial showing you how to make and play the perfect Apartment building. :)

So what you will need; (love saying that!)
The Sims 3, The Sims 3 Late Night (Obviously ;)).
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=427515&c=1&ht=&page=1&pp=25#startcomments
The mailbox and trash chute mod (Optional). If you have this in a lot, in CAW and then upload, and someone without the mod can still use the mailbox and trash chute!
Thats it I think! :P - That was simple?

The step by steps! :D
For now, I would start with a 20x20 lot, like me. I will use foundations, and then build the houses on top of that, of course you can choose to do this however way you like. :)
Screenshot-8.jpg"width=600"

After placing the walls wereever you want the apartments to be, you can see from the picture, one side of the house has rooms inside, the other has a hallway and a big open room. The big open room will be the NPC's apartment. Same with upstairs.
Bare in mind that the upstrairs and downstairs hallways will be seen, for this style of build, you cannot avoid this, the only way you can avoid this is to close of the ouside foundation with gates and fences. :)
After placing the walls wereever you want the apartments to be, you can see from the picture, one side of the house has rooms inside, the other has a hallway and a big open room. The big open room will be the NPC's apartment. Same with upstairs.
Bare in mind that the upstrairs and downstairs hallways will be seen, for this style of build, you cannot avoid this, the only way you can avoid this is to close of the ouside foundation with gates and fences. :)
Screenshot-10.jpg"width=600"

Now you see these balls, you find them in buydebug mode. To do this bring up the cheat box, type in 'testingcheatsenabled true' without these > ' < and then bring up the cheat box again, type in 'buydebug'.
Screenshot-12.jpg"width=600"

Find misc objects, and find the 'Hidden room Marker', place it somewere in the NPC's apartment, (The big emptyrooms). You dont need to place this inside the apartment the Sims live in. In fact, you dont need any markers for the rooms in which your Sims 'live'.
Screenshot-13.jpg"width=600"

So then, you go back to buydebug, after placing all the 'Hidden Room Markers' inside all the apartment lots that NPC's live in, you find the 'Public Room Marker'. Place this (if your copying my sytle of building) inside the hallways, both upstairs and down stairs, again not in the apartment your Sims live in.
Screenshot-14.jpg"width=600"
Screenshot-15.jpg"width=600"

So then you make everything very pretty. :)
Screenshot-16.jpg"width=600"
Screenshot-17.jpg"width=600"

Then, here is how to set this is as apartments! :O About time!
So basically, every door that goes into the NPC's apartments, have to be set as 'NPC Doors'. To do this, shift and click on the door, find 'Make NPC door', thats it! Make sure every door, the green arrows are facing the right way, play test. And this should be fine! If you choose the wrong door, just shift and click on the door agagin an unmark! Simples! :D
Screenshot-18.jpg"width=600"
Screenshot-19.jpg"width=600"

Enjoy! :D

And now for advertising! :D
Screenshot-20.jpg"width=600"
Screenshot-21.jpg"width=600"
Screenshot-22.jpg"width=600"

Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• xmenchick05xmenchick05 Posts: 568 New Member
    edited February 2011
    Very nice tutorial! Easy to understand! And I am very excited about the shrek world it looks awesome! The houses look very nice!
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited February 2011
    This is great Mr. C!

I was having a headache trying to get this to work a few weeks ago. Glad there is now a tut out for people. I'm popping it in the tut list.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited February 2011
    Done!

I also shared the link with SmokyTopaz for the building tuts thread in Creative Corner;

List of tutorials or how do I do that?
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,987 Member
    edited February 2011
    MrCrumplebottom1,

It looks excellent. I just wish there was a way to get the apartment mailbox without deconstructing a lot that already has one, or using a mod.
  • simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited February 2011
    Excellent tutorial! Well done. :)

You could also add a bit about changing the ambient sounds of the apartment by shift-clicking on the Hidden room marker (when you have testingcheatsenabled true). That way you can have TV sounds and voices.
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • smoogiesmoogie Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited February 2011
    You just made The Sims 3 The way I want to play it!

This is how I played with TS2. I can now put use to my terraced houses!

You Mr. Crum are a legend!

Infact I might even make a Sim of you in my game and give you the hottest woman going!

Peace
  • roxsroxs Posts: 505 New Member
    edited February 2011
    Yay! My daughter is building a retirement home, I sent her a link to your post. Thanks! :)
  • Sims3Rocks09Sims3Rocks09 Posts: 26 New Member
    edited February 2011
    Bookmarked!
  • RosieH82RosieH82 Posts: 424 New Member
    edited February 2011
    thanks Mr C! I know this is off topic but what happened to your underwater world?
    edited February 2011
    MrCrumplebottom1

By the way, I forgot to mention this. You can make fully functional apartment buildings without Late Night. You just won't have access to the apartment mail box, the trash shoot or the intercom. But otherwish you can make one that works perfectly. If you don't believe me, check this out.

I created a simple one that does not require Late Night. It pretty much functions just like it would if I had Late Night installed when I created it. It even has NPCs living in the hidden areas. Here's a link to the thread where I discuss my Late Night free apartment.

You can make functioning apartment buildings without Late Night and I did just that!
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/332987.page#4523183
    edited February 2011
    MrCrumplebottom1,

Sorry to have to tell you that the pictures you posted here are no longer visible.
  • MrCrumplebottom1MrCrumplebottom1 Posts: 1,843 Member
    edited February 2011
    Yes, the forums are mucking up, making the links invalid. Im waiting for EA to fix this.
    edited February 2011
    Pictures fixed. :)
    edited February 2011
    MrCrumplebottom1,

I'm glad you were able to fix them. By the way, I also pointed out that you're wrong on something. As long as you don't use the special apartment mail box, the trash shoot or the intercom, you can actually accomplish this without Late Night. Those apartment spawners came with the patch that was released with Late Night, and not Late Night itself. I was able to make a fully functioning apartment with NPC doors, as well as NPCs that doesn't require Late Night at all. I even posted a link to a thread on it, in a previous comment. It doesn't look as good as the ones you showed us here through.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited February 2011
    Well its on the first page, so people can just scroll down and see it. :)

Thanks! :D
  • Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited February 2011
    This was really needed, do you do a lot of building with the shells? I know lots of people need a tutorial on that Mr. C, when I was looking the only one I could find was a You Tube video in Spanish which I do not understand. You do have a nice clear way of explaining things
    edited February 2011
    This was really needed, do you do a lot of building with the shells? I know lots of people need a tutorial on that Mr. C, when I was looking the only one I could find was a You Tube video in Spanish which I do not understand. You do have a nice clear way of explaining things

You mean there's no tutorial for that either? Well the process is the same, just with walls and elevators and stuff... I suppose I could after work tomorrow.

Maybe creating worlds are not my thing, maybe writing tutorials about it is? :O User friendly tutorials that even I can understand. Which is why this one is probably easy to read. :P
  • roxsroxs Posts: 505 New Member
    edited February 2011
    QUOTE MrCrumplebottom1- Maybe creating worlds are not my thing, maybe writing tutorials about it is?

:shock:Oh no, I have a folder just for your worlds, I would like if you make worlds and tutorials! :)
    edited February 2011
    Im thinking about brining out some tutorials soon, after I got all my worlds done. Then make a thread, ask people what they actually want to know.

A whole folder? Wow, thanks! :shock:
  • hejsannahejsanna Posts: 53
    edited February 2011
    Hi! U have done a very good aprtment! (or rowhouse)
    I wonder if you can upload the rowhouse on exange?
  • BlingjohnnyBlingjohnny Posts: 355 Member
    edited March 2011
    hey im not getting the option to make NPC doors, holding shift then clciking on the door doesnt help.
  • AngelicMiseryAngelicMisery Posts: 397 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Awesome tutorial! I can't wait to add a few custom builds to my world. :)
    edited June 2011
    hejsanna wrote:
    Hi! U have done a very good aprtment! (or rowhouse)
    I wonder if you can upload the rowhouse on exange?

I might do, if I get the chance! :D
    hey im not getting the option to make NPC doors, holding shift then clciking on the door doesnt help.

Make sure that the NPC Room has a hidden room marker, and a public room marker
    on the other side of the door, then you should :) If not, did you enable testingcheats?
    Awesome tutorial! I can't wait to add a few custom builds to my world. :)

Woo! :D post pictures!
  • vessmevessme Posts: 492 Member
    edited July 2011
    I know this is late, but thank you for this tutorial! It's just what I needed. I wish I could give you stars or something.
    tumblr_nc81zxn8g31qa6q9uo1_500.gif
  • MSPROLL21MSPROLL21 Posts: 257 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Great! Thanks for this easy to follow tutorial. Wow, I didn't realize it was that simple. Now if only EA/Maxis would've included closets like in TS2 AL.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top