Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Game launcher won't connect to internet

For some reason, my internet explorer stopped working yet my wireless connection was fine and I could still access the internet whenever I used Firefox instead so I changed my default to Firefox, but my sims 3 game launcher still tries to connect to the internet using internet explorer. how can i change its settings so that it will use firefox instead?

oh, it's also like this for non-sims related programs too. the itunes store won't work even when my wireless connection is up and firefox is working fine.

Comments

• NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited December 2010
    Hi,

By design, the Sims 3 launcher requires Internet Explorer for online connectivity. There is no way to substitute another web browser within the launcher itself.

For those having connection issues with the launcher, the following may be of help to you:
    From MasAsMercury:

I finally figured out how to fix this. Worked for me, anyway.

1.) Go to Control Panel in your Start menu.
    2.) Go into Internet Options.
    3.)Click the Connections tab.
    4.) Click on LAN settings.
    5.) If you have the "Use proxy..." box checked, uncheck it. Then hit OK.

I don't know if this can be a permanent fix, but I noticed my iTunes had the same problem and this is how Apple said to fix it. Now both problems are solved and I couldn't be happier with both my Sims d/l content and my itunes. ^_^

Happy simming!
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • MajmooMajmoo Posts: 19 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I had this problem and when i googled it this was a link t gave me. I am SO happy i found it! Now i can use the exchange nd update my game! I know this is from a while ago but Thank you so much! :)
  • MizScoobusMizScoobus Posts: 277 Member
    edited October 2011
    Hi,

By design, the Sims 3 launcher requires Internet Explorer for online connectivity. There is no way to substitute another web browser within the launcher itself.

For those having connection issues with the launcher, the following may be of help to you:
    From MasAsMercury:

I don't know if this can be a permanent fix, but I noticed my iTunes had the same problem and this is how Apple said to fix it. Now both problems are solved and I couldn't be happier with both my Sims d/l content and my itunes. ^_^

Happy simming!

My "Use Proxy..." is unchecked, and still my launcher won't connect to the internet. Do you know of any other ways?
  • CarlyArlyArlaCarlyArlyArla Posts: 59 Member
    edited October 2011
    Just to say, I had the same problem and I found this post and now it's fixed so thank you =D
  • screamoismyheroscreamoismyhero Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    My box was never checked, but it still wont connect...someone help me plzz!!! D:
  • madeofgold101madeofgold101 Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    I have the same problem AND mine wont let me login or get any of the stuff i bought from the store :?
  • mrsmars97mrsmars97 Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    The box was already unchecked.. And it still won't work. I'm so glad that more people have the same problem as me cuz now hopefully ea will fix it.. It's really frustrating cuz I've spent soo much at the store and can't use any of it :(
  • xmsxkrisxxmsxkrisx Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    I just downloaded the Supernaturals but it won't let me install it due to my launcher isn't up to date, but every time I try to update the launcher, it just gives me the error "Cannot connect to Origin"...

Ughhhh. What do I do!?!?!? :(:(:(
  • BrooketionaryBrooketionary Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    I had the same problem with Pets. Ever find out how to fix it?
  • AmyDonaldAmyDonald Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    This is happening to me aswell when I'm connected to the Internet it won't let me login but when I'm not connected to the Internet it will let me login and also when I go to buy something from the store it comes up on the launcher saying to login and I type my username and password in and the tab bar at the bottom just goes backwards and forwards :( ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX PLEASEEEEE
  • ErrinOlivia123ErrinOlivia123 Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    AmyDonald wrote:
    This is happening to me aswell when I'm connected to the Internet it won't let me login but when I'm not connected to the Internet it will let me login and also when I go to buy something from the store it comes up on the launcher saying to login and I type my username and password in and the tab bar at the bottom just goes backwards and forwards :( ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX PLEASEEEEE

Neither is mine, but when i go to uncheck it its not there... I have windows vista, does that help matters :?: I bought barnacle bay in the sale but when i try to log in to my launcher it just keeps refreshing :cry:
  • SmokeAndIvySmokeAndIvy Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    I had this problem after I installed all my games on a new iMac. I updated after every install, but somewhere around supernatural the updates stopped popping up. When I tried to sign in to the game launcher after university, it would just tell me I wasn't connected to the internet. Very annoying because I have lots of stuff in my downloads I wanted to install.
    I didn't fix the launcher, but if you go through the sims 3 store, into your purchases, and hit download on each one from there, it will open the downloads in the game launcher and allow you to install.
    I think a lot of the problem is actually EA's connection to the game launcher.
    Hope this helped!
  • MentalSyluMMentalSyluM Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    Hi,

From MasAsMercury:

Happy simming!

This is not true. I have Internet Explorer as my default browser on my computer (and yes I've double checked this) but Sims 3 Launcher wants to open Google Chrome which doesn't work properly with the links in the launcher. I would love if I could fix this so that the launcher would open up Internet Explorer. Any help is appreciated.
  • eahs96eahs96 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @mrsmars97 said:
    > The box was already unchecked.. And it still won't work. I'm so glad that more people have the same problem as me cuz now hopefully ea will fix it.. It's really frustrating cuz I've spent soo much at the store and can't use any of it :(

I know this was years ago but I came here looking for answers to the same problem and I fixed it so this may help somebody. I fixed this issue by clicking on login in the top right-hand corner in any of the tabs; downloads, installed content and uploads. I signed in and everything connected again.
  • EA_MakoEA_Mako Posts: 846 EA Community Manager
    Hey @eahs96,

Glad you found a way to get this fixed up!

In the future please be mindful of the dates of threads when replying. In the case of older threads like this it's generally best to find something more recent when commenting on a particular topic.

I'll be locking this one down to prevent additional necro-posting, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top