Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

GUIDE: What to back up in your Sims 3 folder.

Comments

• NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited September 2010
    Hi,

Thanks for posting this informative guide, Archivist! We will definitely pass this along to other players in the Technical section. :)
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited September 2010
    Hi,

Thanks for posting this informative guide, Archivist! We will definitely pass this along to other players in the Technical section. :)

Yay, thanks for checking it out and spreading the word!
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    edited September 2010
    excellent and very clear! bookmarked!
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited October 2010
    This is a great thread and I have it bookmarked.

I was wondering where are our Create-a-Style content recolors. There have been times where mine have simply disappeared from the game after an EP or patch installation. I would certainly back them up if I could, but I have no idea where they are stored.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited October 2010
    CK213 wrote:

I was wondering where are our Create-a-Style content recolors. There have been times where mine have simply disappeared from the game after an EP or patch installation. I would certainly back them up if I could, but I have no idea where they are stored.

If you hit "share" when you create or recolor the item in CAS , that will go to "exports" folder , also launcher, you can copy and save the sims3 pack from exports uploads folder under documents, to a desktop folder or cd disc, that's how I do it.

A bit of extra work, but definitely worth it if you want to make sure you don't lose the item.

It will only keep what you have installed already, so for instance if the first time you had a custom pattern under "mods" , but then uninstalled and reinstalled game without the extra pattern, it will not be there the second time.
  • GagaSimsGagaSims Posts: 3,479 New Member
    edited October 2010
    *Bookmarked*

Thanks!
  • playermarko456playermarko456 Posts: 4,972 Member
    edited October 2010
    CK213 wrote:

@ CK -- If you go to your documents folder, with the 4 cache files, you will see a file called Userpresets. That is the file that stores your recolors and I'm pretty sure the CAS patterns too. If you accidentally delete the file, you lose all the custom recolors that you created.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited October 2010
    CK213 wrote:

@ CK -- If you go to your documents folder, with the 4 cache files, you will see a file called Userpresets. That is the file that stores your recolors and I'm pretty sure the CAS patterns too. If you accidentally delete the file, you lose all the custom recolors that you created.

Thanks. :)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    edited October 2010
    CK213 wrote:

Thanks for the info! I'll make sure and mention this in the OP.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • littlemissleolittlemissleo Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited October 2010
    Ohmygosh, thank you for this! :mrgreen:
  • SimplyZombieSimplyZombie Posts: 271 New Member
    edited October 2010
    Terrific thread! There's some great info there- bookmarked for future reference. Thanks for sharing it.
  • MissCeeMissCee Posts: 1,309 Member
    edited October 2010
    Thank you so much. This answers a lot of questions.
    MissCee

<3Blessings,
    MissCee
  • Jojo777Jojo777 Posts: 21,909 Member
    edited October 2010
    Thank you so so so so much! After losing about a million (I'm not exaggerating here) saves due to computer crashes, I needed to read this. Thanks for making it clear even for someone as un-computer-savvy as myself :D
  • NorthAntrimNorthAntrim Posts: 436 New Member
    edited October 2010
    Thanks - I got a free program which is called Easy Sync, and when I open it and click backup or sync, it back ups the files. its saved my Sim family before!
    edited October 2010
    Thanks - I got a free program which is called Easy Sync, and when I open it and click backup or sync, it back ups the files. its saved my Sim family before!
    Cool! I'll have to check that out. :-)
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    edited October 2010
    :O

Marry me. xDxDxD Just Kidding. But this guide is AMAZING. Like honestly, I had NO idea about the DCBackup folder, but it cleared up literally EIGHT gigs of harddrive space. I do believe i can install Late Night with no worry now :D

Thank you SO much again for this <3
    23uvol1.jpg
    edited October 2010

Marry me. xDxDxD Just Kidding. But this guide is AMAZING. Like honestly, I had NO idea about the DCBackup folder, but it cleared up literally EIGHT gigs of harddrive space. I do believe i can install Late Night with no worry now :D

Holy Jesus, that's a lot of gigs =x lol I'm happy you found the guide useful :)
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    edited October 2010
    Archivist wrote:

Holy Jesus, that's a lot of gigs =x lol I'm happy you found the guide useful :)
    ikr?! i was like O.O but now i can safely install stuff without my OCD mind kicking in saying 🐸🐸🐸🐸 YOU'RE RUNNING TOO LOW ON SPACE DUDE. xDxD
    23uvol1.jpg
  • SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited October 2010
    This is great information. I have bookmarked this for future reference. BTW, Nichaedemus sent me here.
    Edited because I spelled his name wrong. Hope it's right now.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • GerryLeanneGerryLeanne Posts: 89
    edited November 2010
    This was always something I wondered about. All the sub-folder names confused me. Brilliant thread :D
  • ClayworldClayworld Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited November 2010
    Very useful since I finally got bit by the latest patch. I've been very lucky so far though.
  • EndlessSims3EndlessSims3 Posts: 1,077 Member
    edited January 2011
    Wow this is wonderful I love this Thank You!
  • AlyssaLeexoAlyssaLeexo Posts: 260
    edited February 2011
    atz123 wrote:
    thanks for the info bookmarked :]
    edited March 2011
    Updated some info in the OP.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2011
    Some additional info on the DCBackup Folder:

If you want your sim3packs to get packed with lots and Sim, you should not delete those files for if you do, the game does not know what to pack and you'll end up without the cc you have used (this is actually desirable in most cases).

Unfortunatly if you uninstall a cc, the corresponding file is still in the DCBackup folder, making that contain a lot of stuff you don't need.

I'm unsure what the best thing to do is but I guess people should be aware why certain sims3packs get packed and others don't.

I have added a link to this guide to my backup blog post: http://crinrict-help.blogspot.com/2011/03/faq-what-files-should-i-backup.html
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top