Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grey Meadow, the Industrial Hub

QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
edited February 26 in Nominated Threads
Greytitle-1.jpg
Important: The current version of this world requires installation of World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Fast Lane, Outdoor Living, Generations, Pets, and Showtime. I have received a lot of complaints about game crashing, and while I am not an expert on the issue, lacking these games will certainly attribute to said crashing. This world does not contain third party content or store items. All versions are pre-populated and contain the necessary spawners for each corresponding expansion pack. You may wish to address technical issues such as crashing to somebody who is smarter than me, but please tell me about any problems with routing and the like so that I may fix them. If you do have any complaints, please be clear as to what your issues are or else I will respond in a rude and unhelpful fashion.
Thank you,
-Quailhogs

On a lighter note, if you have any pictures or stories to share, feel free to post them. I enjoy seeing what other people have done with the world.

Screenshot-86-3.jpg
Herbert Quailhogs

Grey Meadow is a fictional Island located near the southern edge of Lake Erie, as part of the state of Pennsylvania. Loosely based off cities such as Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Buffalo, Grey Meadow's industrial base has grown less advantageous over time, causing the city to go from opulent to below average. The town is filled with "quirky characters" as some of you like to put it, most of them bitter, pompous, and/or deranged (these traits are not representative of people in the actual Rust Belt, many of them are actually very nice). But I digress, there is plenty of class warfare, decaying buildings, family vendettas, and other wonderful things in stock for you.

In-game description:
Situated upon multiple islands near the edge of Lake Erie, Grey Meadow is a peculiar town known for being the headquarters of Quailhogs Inc. Automobiles. Now decaying yet flooded with corruption, Grey Meadow's old world charm has grown increasingly difficult to grasp beyond its thick fog of blight. Will its historical prevalence be enough to save it?

Versions:
Version 1 Requires World Adventures, Ambitions, and Late Night. Includes items from Fast Lane Stuff and Outdoor Living Stuff.
Version 2 Requires World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, and Generations. Includes items from Fast Lane Stuff and Outdoor Living Stuff.
Version 3 Requires World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, and Pets. Includes items from Fast Lane Stuff and Outdoor Living Stuff.
Version 4 Requires World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, and Showtime. Includes items from Fast Lane Stuff and Outdoor Living Stuff.
Version 5 Requires World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, and Supernatural. Includes items from Fast Lane Stuff and Outdoor Living Stuff.
Version 6 Requires World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, and Island Paradise. Includes items from Fast Lane Stuff and Outdoor Living Stuff.

Related Downloads:
Grey Meadow Manor An old farmhouse haunted by the ghosts of the Foster family.
Montgomery Bed and Breakfast A rather strange looking bed and breakfast.
Old Town Funeral Home The upper-end cemetery, with some ghosts.
Ever-Grey Gardens The larger and worse-off cemetery. Nobody here died peacefully.

Lead Roles:
GBio2_zps985d22cd.jpg
Herbert J. Quailhogs
Herbert was the co-founder of Quailhogs Automobiles with his older brother, Jakob Quailhogs II. His older brother was an engineer who drafted several car models based off designs that he stole, while Herbert was the businessman. Although not the most outgoing man, Herbert had a lot better interpersonal skills than his brother. His marketing was so successful that people recognized the Quailhogs brothers as “Herbert and that guy in the top hat.” Jakob was not too pleased with this, and he held a grudge against Herbert up until his own death, where he whispered a foul message to Herbert with his dying breath. Since then, Herbert has grown increasingly bitter. His company is now being driven into the ground with news of corruption and inefficiencies, it being rumored that Herbert is intentionally sabotaging the company out of hatred for both himself and his brother. Due to Herbert’s emotional instability, many people will lose their jobs, but he doesn't seem fazed by that consequence in the slightest.

GBio4_zpse490f1fc.jpg
Shaw and Dorian Blightwood
Brotherly love is a common theme in the sunny city of Grey Meadow. The Blightwood brothers have been partners in crime for numerous years, working for a terrible man named Daniel. Shaw has always been the more ambitious of the two and quickly surpassed the rank of his younger brother, Dorian. In this case, it was the younger one living in the dark for many years. To compensate for Shaw's success, Dorian has been plotting his older brother's downfall for many years, getting little slumber during the brightest of hours.

GBio5_zpsebb4d822.jpg
Olivia Dermody
Not all of Grey Meadow’s vampires are criminals. Some have a perfectly good justification for mercilessly killing people. While Olivia is not from around these parts, she killed the Blightwood brothers' former boss right before leaving her old town, thus she has at least one connection here(or perhaps an even greater relevance). She now spends her days living in somebody’s basement, for her story arc has seemingly come to an end... seemingly.

GBio10_zps02e3d5da.jpg
Patrick Grimebell
Patrick Grimebell is a plain man. Although he is acerbic, Patrick is trustworthy and honest. Meanwhile he has to deal with family drama nonstop, both of his sons at each other’s throats and his own brother moving in with his strange new lifestyle. It could be worse.

GBio3_zpsc2ad8266.jpg
Eva Rouge
What importance could a maid possibly have in the rugged forest of grey? It isn't whom Eva is that is important, but whom she knows. She is a failed actress and spends her days scrubbing floors and fantasizing about being somebody else, not too interesting of a tale. The man she works for, however, has already gone through a change in identity to conceal his dark past. Nonetheless, the man's personality is still rather uninteresting.

GBio1_zpsc84f49af.jpg
Cornelius Wright
And like Eva, not everyone in Grey Meadow thrives; in fact, most of them fail. Cornelius Wright is a perfect example of somebody in the doldrums. Living out on the street for numerous years after losing his sanity (inhaling too many toxic fumes in the foundry), Cornelius has finally learned an effective way to deal with his many burdens… by setting them on fire.

GBio7_zps463885ac.jpg
Diane Burke
On the other end of the spectrum are the upper-class families living in their McMansions. While some worked hard to make their fortune, others just have a tendency to get whatever they want with little effort. Diane Burke married a wealthy doctor and succeeded in becoming an actress, where Eva Rouge failed (still, Diane is a mediocre actress at best). Diane is also apparently the same exact age as Cornelius Wright, but she looks significantly younger. Her secrets are a lack of stress and loads of plastic surgery.

GBio8_zps41c390aa.jpg
Cletus McGuinness
The McGuinness family represents everything the Burke family isn’t, they having a notorious history of bad luck. While misfortune puts many of them into despair, Cletus McGuinness doesn’t need money or fame to be happy. All he needs is the satisfaction of killing his parents.

GBio9_zpsd2bcaa40.jpg
Sally Stevens
Others are a bit more wholesome than Cletus. It almost seems like Sally Stevens does not belong in a place like Grey Meadow. She is a pleasant lady with a clean criminal record and fondness for horses, but she exists within the same vicinity as the Blightwood Brothers. Thus while the evil ones cause chaos, the nice ones live in constant fear. Despite being a grown woman, Sally lives with her parents and is treated like a child, not allowed to leave her house at night hours by her overprotective father.

GBio6_zps7e4f50ed.jpg
James Foxtrot III
With vampires trying to kill each other, a poor man setting the world on fire, and a deranged businessman going out of his way to turn Grey Meadow into a blighted wasteland, there needs to be at least one person around to clean up the mess. How about a 70-year-old man in a tweed suit? While he may not seem like much, any other mayor in James Foxtrot’s position would probably spend their days in office under their desk in fetal position, whereas he is actually trying to make a difference by preventing anything from happening to Grey Meadow. Now according to linguistics, that does not make sense.

Pictures are taken from Version 2 of this world.
The Quailhogs Inc industrial Park rests at the bottom of the plateau on the west side of the island. Originally the center of the city's wealth, the district is now infested with criminals and is considered an eyesore. There have been efforts at adaptive reuse with some of the more significant buildings.
Screenshot-81-1.jpg
Screenshot-106-1.jpg
Screenshot-105-1.jpg
Screenshot-107.jpg

Farmers Square is obviously the agricultural district of Grey Meadow. With cheap weathered buildings and a poorly maintained graveyard, the area is often seen as less than welcoming. On the other hand, the nectary and pleasant landscape undermines some of the less ideal attributes.
Screenshot-93.jpg
Screenshot-108-1.jpg

Downtown Grey Meadow is the business and entertainment center of the town. While the city had not grown tremendously since the earlier 20th century, the downtown area still possesses numerous elements of the town's culture.
Screenshot-82-1.jpg
Screenshot-101.jpg
Screenshot-103-1.jpg

Sometimes called Old Town, this... not even hamlet was annexed as part of Grey Meadow shortly after Quailhogs Inc was introduced.
Screenshot-89.jpg
Screenshot-91.jpg

Rosebud Strip is the wealthier part of Grey Meadow. Most of the houses here are relatively new and were only built to compliment their older counterparts. This area is primarily residential and those who do not live here find little reason to be here, for it only makes them feel bad about their own pathetic lives.
Screenshot-118-1.jpg
Screenshot-84-1.jpg
Screenshot-117-1.jpg

Radford was built in the late 1920s to house Grey Meadow's wealthier residents. By today's standards these once marvelous homes are only considered adequate living accommodations.
Screenshot-114-1.jpg
Screenshot-115-1.jpg

Worlds by Quailhogs:
Tribus (WIP)
Wraith
Huntsborough
Vargfjell
The Stoneshields and Fortress Rock
Grey Meadow

A Tale of Five Dystopias
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited August 2010
    the last picture has me intrigued
    nice sculpting on the hill side and its a good idea that you have a industrial area sectioned off,

hopefully we'll get to see more of the island soon :D
  • QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
    edited August 2010
    Thank you for responding. Here are some more pictures of the island, that being what I have so far. Some districts I have actually progressed a lot on while others I have barely touched, so the activity is extremely unbalanced at the moment; the same goes for the landscaping. Those ugly green hills should look like mountains in the end.
    GMA.png
    GMB.png
  • NapalmVFRNapalmVFR Posts: 195 New Member
    edited August 2010
    Looks like a nice interesting world with some nice places to explore :)
    edited August 2010
    Thank you, Napalm. I am trying very hard to prevent my world from being too boring. Here is some more of the landscape, being that architecture should not be a primary focus... not saying that it should be neglected either, but the landscape is the main focus.
    GMC.png
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited August 2010
    Hi, Quailhogs :mrgreen:

The landscape does look interesting, too- Very nice work. :thumbup:
    edited August 2010
    Thank you for the compliment, Rflong. I am glad you like my landscaping.

The river area I just edited today; I originally left it without rocks or vegetation, but I then felt that it just looked kind of unrealistic and boring with nothing by the edge of the river besides dirt.
  • DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    edited August 2010
    I laughed when I read "scenic industial district". That's a definite oxymoron, lol. It's nice to see you have a sense of humor with your descriptions.

It does look like you are achieving your goal of interesting landscaping. I've enjoyed the pics and look forward to watching your world develop.
  • happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2010
    great job so far! It looks really nice. Cant wait to see it finished. :)
  • RemmoRemmo Posts: 597 Member
    edited July 2011
    Your world has a very unique feel to it. Nice work :D
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited August 2010
    Thank you guys. I am going to now clog this thread with some more pictures of what I have worked on recently, which looks like very little because what I worked on was the downtown buildings and not the whole landscape. You may have trouble actually seeing some of the buildings because of my obnoxious usage of trees.
    GMTA.png
    (And yes, one of those buildings is supposed to be burnt down; I got the idea from Juan Darer's house.)
    And I am glad you appreciate my sarcasm, DOLLDRMS1; not too many do.
  • ChriscmmChriscmm Posts: 106
    edited August 2010
    Wow, it looks great! Nice job. I appreciate the sculpting and terrain painting. I live in Pittsburgh myself, and I've visited Lake Erie many times. I love the theme of this work.
  • RemmoRemmo Posts: 597 Member
    edited July 2011
    Oh wow, I love the compass points in the green, the whole square is beautifully put together.

And deralict housing, I love it. I've never thought of doing that but could give a very nice run down feel to a pooer area. I'm not sure how useful it would be, but I seem to recall that in buydebug, or testingcheatsenabled true (can't remember which now!) you can toggle some items to their 'charred' state (intended for tomb building). Could be cool for the burnt down properties?

And please do clog your thread with pictures, I always do, they say a thousand works, so they say :thumbup:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited August 2010
    Wow! It really is looking very stunning. I love the landscaping and your Victorian buildings. Keep putting up pics: -)

edited August 2010
    Such kind words from you guys, thank you. Here are some pictures of the area I just completed and what the entire world looks like to this point. I consider this part the downtown district, which was probably the most work to construct due to the fact that it is cluttered with lots... then again, I only completed two areas out of five.
    GMTB.png
    GMD.png
    Remmo: Now that you mention it, I think I will toss a few pieces of furniture onto the burnt down lot and make it appear that some furniture just barely survived. I'll probably add some more burnt down lots to the other districts as well.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,991 Member
    edited August 2010
    Quailhogs,

As long as this world won't require us to download any mods to play with it, I think I'd like to try it. It Looks really good. I hope you're ready to upload it soon.
  • spartan012spartan012 Posts: 253
    edited August 2010
    Hmmm...interesting world.

Somehow, it reminds me of twinbrook except that it is not swampy and your downtown district is very well done. I like the criminal hideout(i might be wrong) lot. Looks very dilapidated and i can see a lot of effort. :thumbup:
  • ucareeucaree Posts: 281 New Member
    edited August 2010
    Oooh I like :)

Your buildings are amazing and I really like the industrial district, it does remind me of a more developed Twinbrook. Definitely going to bookmark this thread, keep up the good work :thumbup:
    edited August 2010
    any updates? :)
  • usmcgrimusmcgrim Posts: 19
    edited August 2010
    This is absolutely gorgeous. I only wish I could figure out how to work CAW. For now, I'll settle on downloading these terrific worlds others have created! I can't wait to see the finished product.
  • ClawswpClawswp Posts: 470 New Member
    edited August 2010
    your world looks really nice i like all the details looks realistic and really good
    edited May 2011
    I have been working on this world since last summer; however, I have abandoned updates for quite a while(that being an understatement.) Sorry about that though. Being that I have done little to engage the public, I request that you please give me names for these houses because I am notoriously bad at naming things, I will give you credit in the house description. Please avoid using dessert flavors, it has seriously been overdone.
    Untitled.jpg
    2.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2011
    1 Pine Ridge
    2 Crestview
    3 Little Garrette
    4 Garrison Gate House
    5 The Contessa
    6 Guardian Manor House
    7 The Tempest

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited May 2011
    Thank you. Those are very good names.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2011
    Glad to help. Naming is a breeze for me - as long as I am seeing what needs naming. No credit is needed though. Feel free to use them.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited May 2011
    Now that I have lost my original audience, sharing this news is not as exciting. Grey Meadow is finally completed and ready to be downloaded. I have included the link for your convenience: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4121040
    I will eventually post previews of the finished product and a map of all of its districts, but not now because I am exhausted from trying to solve the endless flood of problems I faced when trying to upload it. Enjoy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top