March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAW crashing on high end computers? Solution now obsolete,latest CAW has it active by default

geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
Well I had this issue since forever. I couldn't play around CAW for more than 5 mins. I also had a similar problem with the game. The game would exit to desktop with no warning at all. The only diff is that CAW was givning me an error about corrupted memory or something. The workaround for the game itself is everywere from here to MTS, so i'm not going to get into details for that.

Well since the CAW was giving me a memory error , i figured to try the same thing that fixes the game. And gues what... It works like a charm. CAW apparently , as the game did, cannot recognise my 8Gigs of ram.... Step by step now

1. Download and install CFF Explorer: http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php
2. Go to : C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create a World Tool and find the CAW.exe file and copy it somewere safe .This is your backup.
3.Run CFF explorer as administrator(right click on it, don't double click)
CFF1.jpg
4.File>Open and navigate to the adress above and select the CAW.exe file
5.Click on File Header at the left, find characteristics at the right and click the "Click here" blue button.
CFF2.jpg
6.Tick "App can handle >2GB address space
7.Ok that and save by clicking the disk icon or going to FILE >> SAVE
8.Overwrite the file when it asks you to.

DONE!Now your CAW will not crash any more

Don't forget that you need to do this everytime you download CAW after a patch of EP/SP installation

Many thanks to MTS for the original tutorial for the same game issue

UPDATE:
CAW.exe file can be found here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool
Untitled-1.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be aware that after pets and pets patch. CAW is crashing more often, especially when painting, even if you have used this fix. At least with the fix it will not crash ALL the time. Just remeber to save regularly when painting.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• CouriervaughanCouriervaughan Posts: 20,570 Member
    edited August 2010
    book mark it
  • NapalmVFRNapalmVFR Posts: 195 New Member
    edited August 2010
    Excellent guide on how to get the game to work :)
  • AyasheAyashe Posts: 9
    edited August 2010
    help cant find the CAW.exe file where exactly is it found?

please help
  • Hotty5009Hotty5009 Posts: 3,895 Member
    edited August 2010
    book mark it

Agreed.
  • sophieM034sophieM034 Posts: 3
    edited April 2011
    sorry i dont get step 5 i cant see charecteristics...

oh just worked it out!Thank you so much for the help
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • BUNNYBOBOFUKBUNNYBOBOFUK Posts: 314 New Member
    edited May 2011
    im having this stupid problem now tried everythink :cry:
  • MissSpiffeyMissSpiffey Posts: 212 Member
    edited June 2011
    I'm in the CFF Explorer and I cannot figure out step 5. I see no "Click Here" button anywhere. This seemed so promising at first :P.

EDIT: I think I figured it out (I certainly hope I didn't mess anything up!) Clicking on the .exe file does not give me all the drop down options. Instead I opened simply CAW (filetype: application) and all the options I saw in a screen shot were there.
    Gallery: #ItzSpiffy - I make custom NoCC Wall Art for the game using only my sim's camera and in-game scenery! I also love building modern mansions among other things.
  • kmcekmce Posts: 1,150 Member
    edited July 2011
    mine says cannot over right original file. anyone know whats wrong
  • geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited July 2011
    kmce wrote:
    mine says cannot over right original file. anyone know whats wrong

You did not run as administrator. You just opened it.

Updated with pics for more clear instructions
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited July 2011
    This is really good information. Thank you Geminiagre for posting it. I'll link it in the Caw FAQ :D

• NewEra2009NewEra2009 Posts: 396 Member
    edited August 2011
    The CAW.exe file is the CAW (application) file and not the CAW.exe XML file
  • matinakaivagosmatinakaivagos Posts: 211
    edited October 2011
    kalimera :) xerome poli pou eida oti esi mporeis kai 3ereis na me voithiseis ! omos den mporo na vro to fakelo caw.exe pou les gia na ton kano antigrafi stin epifaneia ergasias mou :( tha mporouses na me voithiseis ? episis den mou anigei olous tous ipsometrikous xartes ! apo medium kai kato mono ! to provlima mou einai oti me to pou dialego ena kosmo gia na 3ekiniso meta apo ligo me petaei legontas mou gia tin mnimi! episis den mou anigei to river kai to sunset ! exo kanei selidodikti edo tin selida ;) tha xaro na do sxolio sou edo i stin selida mou :) se efxaristo :)
  • athinasimsathinasims Posts: 157 Member
    edited October 2011
    Χαίρομαι που υπάρχει κόσμος απο Ελλάδα! Μπράβο βρε παιδιά όσο μπορούμε να βοηθάμε ο ένας τον άλλον σε θέματα του παιχνιδιού. Αν και έχω Mac επειδή η δουλειά μου είναι πάνω σε υπολογιστές, θα μπορέσω να βοηθήσω!
    MICHAEL JACKSON XSCAPE
    edited October 2011
    athinasims wrote:
    Χαίρομαι που υπάρχει κόσμος απο Ελλάδα! Μπράβο βρε παιδιά όσο μπορούμε να βοηθάμε ο ένας τον άλλον σε θέματα του παιχνιδιού. Αν και έχω Mac επειδή η δουλειά μου είναι πάνω σε υπολογιστές, θα μπορέσω να βοηθήσω!

kalimera :) xerome pou eise apo elada sou ekana etima filias :) elpizo na me dextis kai na mporeseis na me voithiseis :) exo provlima me to ergaleio ! me afinei na anigo mono mikrous kosmous tous small kai den me afinei na mpo meso paixnidiou gia na xtiso sta oikopeda :/ elpizo na mporeis na me voithiseis :) ego den 3ero pola apo pc :P
    edited October 2011
    I'll update the pics with a picture of where to find the CAW.exe file later today.

@Matinakaivagos- How much RAM you have?
    (Posi RAM exeis?)
  • DigstarDigstar Posts: 308 Member
    edited October 2011
    Brilliant guide and link to program TYVM :D Since pets CAW keeps crashing with a "protected memory" error. Just about to take CAW for another spin after altering the CAW exe. Wish me luck :D
  • athinasimsathinasims Posts: 157 Member
    edited October 2011
    kalimera :) xerome pou eise apo elada sou ekana etima filias :) elpizo na me dextis kai na mporeseis na me voithiseis :) exo provlima me to ergaleio ! me afinei na anigo mono mikrous kosmous tous small kai den me afinei na mpo meso paixnidiou gia na xtiso sta oikopeda :/ elpizo na mporeis na me voithiseis :) ego den 3ero pola apo pc :P

Φυσικά και έκανα αποδοχή φιλίας! Μπορούμε να επικοινωνήσουμε για οτιδήποτε! :D
    MICHAEL JACKSON XSCAPE
    edited October 2011
    Updated first post with pic of where to find CAW.exe file
    edited October 2011
    i see youre foto but i dont have this ! take a look :

TheSims3CreateAWorldTool_2011-10-31_12-53-41.jpg
    edited October 2011
    i see youre foto but i dont have this ! take a look :

TheSims3CreateAWorldTool_2011-10-31_12-53-41.jpg

um this is the CAW folder in your documets. These are your user files. You need to go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool to find the file i showed you and NOT your documents folder

ETA:Ok i see your windows is in Greek, so i'll try to nivigate you there in case you are getting confused. However I've been using english windows for years so i might not get the name exactly right

Εναρξη->Υπολογιστης->Δισκος C:->προγραμματα (x86)->Electronic Arts->the sims 3 create a world tool->εκει θα βρεις το αρχειο CAW που σου εδειξα
    edited November 2011
    ok to vrika alla emena einai ena arxeio me 32 kai oxi 86! tespa to ekana antigrafi kai epikolisi stin epifaneia ergasias mou kai ani3a apo tin enar3i san diaxiristis to programma ccf meta patisa file kai open alla ekei mesa xathika pali giati den vrisko to ccf oute to caw.exe ! :( den eimai kali me tous ipologistes alla me ligo voithia pistevo tha to vro ! mporeis na mou peis ti akrivos psaxno ? tin onomasia kanonika , giati afta ta 2 pou sou eipa den ta vrisko :(
  • Aragona09Aragona09 Posts: 103 New Member
    edited November 2011
    Jiihhaaa :D

Thank you for this exellent tips. My CAW is working again and I can work on my world.
    edited November 2011
    ok ekana oti eipes :) pao na to dokimaso tora makari na doulevei ! to provlima mou itan kai oti me petouse kai oti den mporo na mpo meso paixnidiou gia na xtiso sta oikopeda pou exo valei ! elpizo tora na mporo na mpo ! se efxaristo poli gia ola !!!!!!!

distixos den doulevei :(
    edited November 2011
    hi to all i solve i think my problem and i want to tell what i did ! i unistall all ! origin , world tool , and all ep's and sp's i dont have nothing all my cc is out and my saves from game and the store stuff . now i install again the base sims 3 and the origin again i update the origin and after that the base game , i do it this for all my eps ans sps install - update , install- update , when i install and update my last ( pets ) i download the caw and install too ( i dont have nothing from my saves ) i open it and is work just fine :mrgreen: so now i create one world and i hope to be ok :P youre stuff from store is ok to put inside again ! but NO CC ! NOTHING !!!
  • steph_444444steph_444444 Posts: 1,875 Member
    edited December 2011
    Great tutorial! I can finally get CAW to recognise my 6 gigs of RAM! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top