Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bad CC - Instructions on how to find it and how to get rid of it (including list)

crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
edited February 27 in Nominated Threads
There is a new thread I help in @AnswerHQ. This is mostly to ensure it's continuance should EA ever decide to close this forum.

You can find the new thread here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-Find-and-remove-bad-custom-content-CC/td-p/2759940/

blueRuler.jpg

Broken CC Objects with Patch 1.26/Pets

Many objects that have slots seem to be broken (actually the slots are). This is an issue that has per se nothing to do with EA, so I would like to keep the discussion about it out of this thread. If you want to know more about this issue or have some extra info, please use this thread: Slots broken on all CC, except store stuff

--> Please check TSR for a fix: http://www.thesimsresource.com/fixyourgame/

If you have your Store content installed any other way then by downloading from the EA site and installing through your launcher then you will need to redownload the stuff from your purchase history and install again through the launcher. Otherwise the Store fix is not
working.

blueRuler.jpg

What is this thread about?

A lot of Households/Sims/Lots contain custom content (CC) that is either bad or that you don’t want. Some of them are very hard to find in the launcher for they look nothing like the picture you see in CAS and unfortunately you can delete them in CAS directly.

There are methods, tools and lists around that can help you find and avoid this CC .
The intention of this thread is to give you links to those and help you if you have problems understanding them. This thread is not for spoon feeding you every step that is already described again. If you have troubles understanding, be specific in your questions.

This thread is also for helping you with CC that is not listed anywhere and that you can't find. Please check the available lists first before posting and if you feel up-to it, try the method described below to find out yourself.

My time is limited and I have many other projects, so please do me the courtesy and READ before posting. Thank you.

What is bad CC?

Bad CC is Custom Content that harms your game. One should distinguish between unwanted and bad CC. Unwanted CC is CC YOU don't like but others very well might want while bad CC is C no one should use for it can harm your game.

There are the following kinds of bad CC:
- CC that is categorized for too many age groups and both genders
- CC that is categorized for wrong ages and/or naked
- CC that crashes/freezes your game
- CC that causes the blue lot issue
- Clothing that colors on other parts (only listed in German, see the FAQ for more info)
- CC that hides in other CC
- Tight Arms (unsure if still an issue, only in German)
- CC hair that looks terrible (not listed, FAQ)
- CC windows/doors that crash the game since LN (not listed)
- CC that comes with Sims (list to be made)
- Simply badly done CC (not listed)

There's also CC that likes to attach to everything you upload whether you use it or not but there are so many of those that I can't list all of them

When putting CC in your game, always remember that corrupt CC can crash your game, slow it down and maybe cause your launcher not to work properly.

How do I get rid of that CC ?

Please refer to this blog post for information on that

- TUTORIAL: How to get rid of unwanted Custom Content
- TUTORIAL: How to find a certain download in your Launcher
- CUSTARD: Downloads that are attached to Sims directly
- TUTORIAL: How to keep a Sim but get rid of the CC it came with
- Game Help:TS3 Finding Problem Custom Content

How can I avoid CC I don't want?

When you download something from the Exchange, always use the Add To Game button and not Save as. Save as corrupts the thumbnails and you can't install the stuff. Add to Game will no longer install the content automatically so you can check it before installing.

Check all Households/Sims/Lots before you install them. There's a tool called Custard/CleanInstaller by Delphy that can help you check your stuff.

Instructions can be found here: TUTORIAL: Delphy's Custard

For Package-Files there's another tool called Dashboard, also by Delphy that can pinpoint you in the right direction: TUTORIAL: Delphy's Dashboard (not adjusted to the newest version of the tool)

Both tools can only help you with some errors. There are many errors that can't be detected. If the tools say it's safe, that isn't necessarily true.

Where is the CC installed that I see in my game

All CC can be found in Documents\ElectronicArts\TheSims3.

There are two different kinds of CC. Packages and Sims3Packs. Sims3Packs are the only ones that show up in your launcher. Packages are installed a different way. Please check this thread for details: How-To-Install CC/Mods "The New Way" Guide.

This thread is mostly about Sims3Packs.

Sims3Packs are containers for package files. When you double click on such a file a few things happen:
- The Sims3Pack gets copied to the Downloads folder and then shows in Downloads in the launcher
- The Package-Files inside (they all have long numbers) get unpacked to the DCBackup folder. They do almost nothing (see FAQ below)
- The Package-Files inside get compressed together and installed to the files *.dbc (or *.ebc for Store). Files that are installed here, show up in your Launcher.

For further info on your user files, check this: Game Help:TS3 User Folders Explained

You could, in theory, move the Package-files from DCBackup to the mods folder and use them like package files but a lot of Package-Files are bad for your game performance so if it weren't for the launcher, Sims3Packs are actually better to use then package-Files.

If you have any further questions, please consult the FAQ before posting.
Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
AHQ Tutorial

Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• fabulizfabuliz Posts: 1,066 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Bookmarked this just in case I run into any problems in the future. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • CouriervaughanCouriervaughan Posts: 20,570 Member
    edited July 2010
    thank you for info. I am goimg to bookmark this thread.
  • ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited July 2010
    great info, ill be sure to pass this on
  • x3Carlix3Carli Posts: 760 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Bookmarked this thread and your crazytown thread in case of future use and passing it around :). Very helpful, as usual.
  • ChemicalwibsChemicalwibs Posts: 6,345 Member
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, I bookmarked it as well.
    wibsandthesims.tumblr.com
  • SchndlPlayerSchndlPlayer Posts: 741 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Thank you! I'm bookmarking this.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited January 2012
    FAQ

I can't find the Custom Content in my launcher. I've look many times

Make sure that
    - You're checking INSTALLED CONTENT and NOT Downloads
    - There's no filter active (choose the infinite sign tab in the launcher)
    - Go slowly through your launcher. It tends to jump
    - The symbol you see in CAS is a little plumbob sign and NOT a folder or a flower/star

If you have verified that all of the above is true and still can't find it, it might has something to do with the number of downloads you have in your launcher. It seems the launcher can only display so many of them.

To limit the number of downloads move all files *.ebc in your DCCache folder to the desktop. Since those are store items, they can't get installed with houses/lots/Sims.

If it still doesn't show up, use this method by Mell: For those of you having trouble uninstalling cc through the launcher..

I have so much bad cc and it would be so much work to go through all my downloads. Is there an easier way than to uninstall them all ?

You can simply remove all files *.dbc from your DCCache folder and ALL CC except Store, households/Sims/lots will be gone.

I found one or more of the numbers you provided in my DCBackup folder and deleted it but the CC is still in my game

Deleting the files in your DCBackup folder has one purpose only: That you don't spread it any further with your uploads. To get rid of the Download itself, you MUST look for it and UNINSTALL from your launcher. Make sure to check the Installed content tab and NOT the Downloads one.

My Sims have long arms and look like Monsters. Do I have bad CC ?

Yes, you do. Those are CC that are categorized for the wrong age groups. Check this list for known files that have this problem: BAD CC: Clothing

My babies are all invisible. Do I have bad CC ?

If you see long sticks coming out of your house and they are not really invisible, yes, you do have bad cc. Same as error above. If they are truly invisible it's mostly because you uninstalled bad cc and now they have no mesh anymore. Age them up with the birthday cake (have mom/dad click on the cake to get the option to age up the baby) and they are fine again.

My Sims are wearing cloth while taking a shower. Do I have bad cc ?

Most likely. There are some that are categorized for naked that have that effect.

Check the following list for known files:
    - BAD CC: Clothing
    - BAD CC: Hidden clothing

When you have removed the CC, you will need to reset the Sim to naked. You can do this with the MasterController Mod or with this method: Game Help:Showering with clothing on (Reset Sim to Nude towards the end)

If you are sure it's not the CC, simply try the reset to Nude method mentioned above or through MasterController)

My sims are all <insert color here>. Do I have Bad CC ?

This error has two reasons. First one is a bad mapping. That can also apply to part of the clothing showing on another part of the clothing (like shoes on dress). A list to a few of those can be found in my German blog: BAD CC: Kleider färben ab

The other reason is a little trickier. Unlike Sims 2, Sims 3 recolors normally come with the mesh. There are a few exceptions to that and if you don't have the original mesh, you will either get an invisible body or an all <insert color here> Sim. Check the site where you got the download from if the mesh is included or not. If you got it through the exchange, uninstall the cc.

My Sims Hair is all messed up

There are two errors here. Hair that floats high above your Sims head is usually because if wrong categorization. Check this list: BAD CC: Clothing

If they look all strange, it might be of a missing mesh. A lot of recolors from Newsea hair don't have the mesh included (cause the mesh is at TSR which costs money) and the creators usually don't want to anger them. Get the original mesh and the hair will look fine. Also sometimes you either need the male version or the version from another age group as well. If you got it through the exchange, uninstall.

My Sims lost all his hair and is bald now

This is usually a Mac only issue and I don't know if there's a solution found for this yet.

What about that Girl Dressed Doll everyone is talking about

I don't want to go into details on this issue. Fact is, it's not attaching to every upload anymore but can still be found in the Exchange. It will crash your game and should therefore be removed. It's not better or worse than any other bad cc that crashes your game. If you want to know more about the issue, read this: SERIOUS HIDDEN AND CORRUPT CC in your Game

I have a cc that is not listed and simply can't find it

If you feel up to it, try this method to find the launcher pic you need to look for: TUTORIAL: How to find a certain download in your Launcher, if not, feel free to post in this thread.

Either provide me with a picture (will only work if I know the Download) or upload a Sim with the CC to the exchange and provide me with a link. Make sure you warn people about the CC and state that it's a testing file for Crinrict. Delete it after I get back to you.

I have a download that I checked in Custard and it says naked in the description. Will this make my Sim naked ?

No. If a cloth is categorized for Naked this just means it can be worn while taking a shower. It has nothing to do with the NKD cloth floating around that make your sim walk around naked. Those are normal cloth that show everything.

I got a new skin tone in my game. Where did that come from ?

Non-default skin tones are always package files and unfortunately the come with Sims. They don't show in Custard and the only way to get rid of them is finding the Sim that has them and uninstall those.

Custard says something about Corrupt (Not a DBPF) / Bad Download / Bad Index. What is that ?

Those are probably uploads that either didn't get uploaded or downloaded properly. See more details here: CUSTARD: Corrupt (Not a DBPF) / Bad Download / Bad Index. Check the Custard tutorial for other errors that Custard shows.

Are there any bad patterns out there or are they always safe ?

There are a few older patters that were not made with the EA Pattern Tool that don't seem to work properly anymore. Usually you see long loading times in CaSt, especially when you try to access the Misc patterns.

Sometimes a simple reinstall will work, other times you have to get rid of them. If you stick to newer patterns, you should be fine.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• CouriervaughanCouriervaughan Posts: 20,570 Member
    edited July 2010
    free bump
    edited July 2010
    And more (categorized for naked)

ninjashoes.jpg
    0x8e5e493de48279462324250ee09296ae.package

shymoolazo.jpg
    0xe20922902a8a0ac3c354b86e71692549.package

thaic1.jpg
    0x7388cb7a78f38b52eed95d8ffea87b1d.package

shymoodebota.jpg
    0xa01cd751d06c16a70a9ac6f3ae69bd00.package

shymooconrallas.jpg
    0xf27da9bdea6242e6257a54b7fed6c78c.package

shymoovest.jpg
    0xfb749abbbc1dba710353015fbb78707e.package
    AHQ Tutorial

• Polly75Polly75 Posts: 814 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Thank you so much for this. Looks like everything made by shmymoo is bad. I had an item that was both a bathing suit + jeans and a top (strange). That was catgorized for babies and toddlers which made my baby look like a huge stick and toddlers like a monster...
  • glitzyangelglitzyangel Posts: 1,100 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I will bookmark this thread too. Thank you :D
    edited July 2010
    Polly75 wrote:
    Thank you so much for this. Looks like everything made by shmymoo is bad. I had an item that was both a bathing suit + jeans and a top (strange). That was catgorized for babies and toddlers which made my baby look like a huge stick and toddlers like a monster...

Actually those Shymoo ones are all part of the same VIP set.

shymooset.jpg

I guess the rest is not bad. It's just this set.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Isabella_SchatzIsabella_Schatz Posts: 3,966 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Bookmarked, thank you very much for taking the time to do this.
    edited July 2010
    Thanks again crincit. I had that t-shirt and ugly jeans aswell, and had uninstalled them via the launcher. Still, one of my sims were wearing jeans (i suppose that watertrousers-thing) in the shower. Now I deleted the package-file aswell. Hopefully the're gone now.

Oh, and by the way, I think something was wrong with the t-shirt mesh aswell. I'm not sure if it was the hair or the t-shirt but something made my sim look like his head was hanging loose. He had a gap on his neck. *lol* I never bothered to check further because he was moving out anyway... I will try the hair on another sim and see if it's the hair that is bad...
    edited July 2010
    Check this thread at MTS: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Showering_with_clothing_on on what to do if they are still wearing stuff after deleteing it.

What T-Shirt are we talking about ?
    AHQ Tutorial

edited July 2010
    crinrict wrote:
    Check this thread at MTS: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Showering_with_clothing_on on what to do if they are still wearing stuff after deleteing it.

What T-Shirt are we talking about ?

Thank you. The t-shirt I was talking about was the "Fancy t-shirt" for teens. It had come with a download along with a newsea hair. The sim was wearing both the t-shirt and the hair when he got the mysterious gap in his neck, poor guy. :mrgreen: I'll have to check that hair to be sure. The sim in that game has moved out and is a YA, so that the "problem" solved itself.
    edited July 2010
    It could be that if the shirt is categorized for both genders that it had such an effect on the other gender. Since the fancy shirts are for men, there should not be a problem. But maybe they are just faulty anyway.

Have not checked it in my game.
    AHQ Tutorial

edited July 2010
    Just added two hair to my CrazyTown List.

One is actually a peggy hair some genius converted and made available for kids.
    AHQ Tutorial

edited July 2010
    Did some rearranging today.

There are two lists with pic and package file names in my blog now. It does not really have any text so everyone should be fine.

The Blog entries are linked in the first post.
    AHQ Tutorial

• ClayworldClayworld Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited July 2010
    Thanks so much for taking the time to organize this. It is a huge help to everyone.
    edited July 2010
    Ok, I got rid of the fancy t-shirt, but tried the hair separatly because I wasn't sure what was causing theh gap in the neck.

I think it was the t-shirt:

Screenshot-2-1.jpg

(look closely at the neck, there is a gap unde rhis jaw).

I found the saved sim in CAS, opened him and dressed him up in another top and he looked just fine...

edited July 2010
    I think so too. I was trying out another download that was categorized for naked and it had the same effect.

AHQ Tutorial

• lightelflightelf Posts: 381
    edited July 2010
    Hi there. Thank you for this thread. Appreaciated much and bookmarked this :)
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone here know where that waters<insertnamehere>-Stuff is from ?
    AHQ Tutorial

• FuryRedFuryRed Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited July 2010
    Oh cool- I'm glad to see this. I'm a bit crap at updating my deformed baby thread cause I'm a busy gal, so it's nice that you have a better organised one :-)

I'll add your link to the first page of mine so we can send traffic this way.
    pjgnHbb.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top