Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No icons showing up in map view after update

Comments

• Options
    kristenwoodskristenwoods Posts: 1,603 New Member
    edited July 2011
    im going to call the sims people to see what they say about this, there # is 16506281001 just if you want to do the same
  • Options
    gloomysunday42gloomysunday42 Posts: 9
    edited August 2011
    I've been playing since November and I've never had this problem.
    But now, suddenly, the only thing that shows is the theater...
    My person's daughter grew up and I can't move her into another
    house because the bubbles don't show up. >.<
    I have Sims 3 and Sims Night Life and that's about it... hm.
  • Options
    cacove43cacove43 Posts: 109 Member
    edited August 2011
    I have never experienced no map tags did anyone figure this out? It is lousy haveing to just have zoom.
  • Options
    iJancyiJancy Posts: 68 New Member
    edited August 2011
    This problem of no map tags happened quite a while back for me and I started a new game at that time.
    Since I was unable to update with the latest patch recently due to errors I had to uninstall everything and reinstall.

The game I was playing prior to the patch and generations stopped showing map tags. I saved my house and household to the bin and had to move them into a new town again.

I also thought this patch was suppose to keep us logged in - something so simple like staying logged in on this forum can't even be corrected I can just imagine the headaches with the new Pets and new world that we can all be looking forward to.

I could see if our games had these problems after playing for quite some time after a new patch or expansion and could understand why EA did not pick up on it, but this is not the case. It happens immediately after starting a prior game after a new patch. Don't they test any of their older saved games before releasing a patch or new product to see if they have any bugs or glitches?? The one thing that they are good at is delivering an inferior product.

My sims parents also went on a free vacation and came back with both their inventories empty.

I seem to be spending more and more time looking for solutions to fix things instead of playing the game.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    falseharmonicsfalseharmonics Posts: 6
    edited August 2011
    I have the same problem!!

It started after going to China and updating my game, now one of my sims has no lot icons, and the other in the same household has icons on lots but can't interact with anyone at all.

I don't have CC either, so I think it's the update. Either way, this sucks and has really shown me how much of a waste of money/time the sims are. Ugh!
  • Options
    anarchist692000anarchist692000 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    IF people are still having problems with this issue as I was today, I found a fix for the situation. What I did was..

1. Load into my saved game that had the missing lot icons, Collection Helper icons, etc.

2. Next I went into "Edit Town" mode and selected my house.

3. Next I selected the "Save Copy To Library" option in the household overview. Be sure to select "Household with House" when the option pops up.

4. Next I exited to the Main Menu, saved the game at this point as well.

5. I then created a new game in the same town.

6. Once the new town loaded I went straight to the lot via the "Edit Town" mode where my house was and evicted the current person living there and then bulldozed the house. Or you can pick a bigger lot at this point if your house was previously on a smaller lot :-D

7. After the lot was cleared I clicked the "Returned To Game Setup" button.

8. Next click the "Move In Household" button on the bottom left menu.

9. Click your family that you saved in your missing lot icons game, there should also be a house icon in the top left of their family portrait icon.

10. Pick the lot you want to plop your family and your house down on and there ya go. The new game should have all the lot icons and every other missing icon such as the Collection Helper, etc..

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    GraceDavisGraceDavis Posts: 44 New Member
    edited October 2011
    you have to go into MyDocuments/electronicarts/bin. and there is all the folders,,, down the end there are individual Packagefiles

example cache files

delete all the ones with package files beside them it has worked twice so far for me and the icons came back straight away

you do have to exit the game before hand though
  • Options
    doctorjackal777doctorjackal777 Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    I did what you suggested GraceDavis but nothing is fixed. Still no icons. My game was fine right up until the most recent patch which I assume is the one for Pets which just came out.
  • Options
    doctorjackal777doctorjackal777 Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    IF people are still having problems with this issue as I was today, I found a fix for the situation. What I did was..

1. Load into my saved game that had the missing lot icons, Collection Helper icons, etc.

3. Next I selected the "Save Copy To Library" option in the household overview. Be sure to select "Household with House" when the option pops up.

6. Once the new town loaded I went straight to the lot via the "Edit Town" mode where my house was and evicted the current person living there and then bulldozed the house. Or you can pick a bigger lot at this point if your house was previously on a smaller lot :-D

9. Click your family that you saved in your missing lot icons game, there should also be a house icon in the top left of their family portrait icon.

10. Pick the lot you want to plop your family and your house down on and there ya go. The new game should have all the lot icons and every other missing icon such as the Collection Helper, etc..

Hope this helps.

Will doing what you suggested reset my family to square one, with no skills or anything?

EDIT: I was about to try it, but a notice came up to warm me that all the relationship I had would be lost. If everything gets reset whats the point of moving the family, you might as well just start a new one from scratch anyway.
  • Options
    PrincessN89PrincessN89 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I just experienced this problem tonight, it's really frustrating.
    8) To solve the problem I did this:

1. load the active household
    2. click on edit town
    3. move the house (with the sims inside) to an empty lot then save
    4. click on return to game then click on map view to make sure the bubbles appear (and they should appear)

You can move the house back to its original place by repeating those steps.

You won't lose anything (including relationships, career levels, simoleons lol, etc) by doing this.

I hope this works for you.
  • Options
    lilsis3421lilsis3421 Posts: 1,258 New Member
    edited January 2012
    LittleV wrote:
    I made a topic about this yesterday, and someone was nice enough to explain that the new patch changes how we install our CC, so you need to make a new folder for .Package files in your Sims3 folder. It also turns out for me that I had an old mod installed that wasn't compatible with the new patch and it was causing the problem. Here's what you have to do:

1. Open up MyDocuments/ElectronicArts/TheSims3 and make a new folder in there called "Mods"

2. Inside the new Mods folder, make two new folders called "Packages" and "DCCache"

3. Now open up Computer/C:/ProgramFiles/ElectronicArts/TheSims3/Mods/Packages and copy and paste all your CC .Package files to your new Mods/Package folder you just made in My Documents.

4. You will also have to download and save the new Resource.cfg and put it in your new Mods folder as well. (That is in the link below)

5. You are pretty much done, although for me the problem was caused by incompatible mods, so go through your new Mods folder and remove ALL mods. Mine was caused by a shadow/lighting mod, but I also deleted all custom sliders just to be safe cause I really just wanted the problem to go away. (One easy way to find the mods out of all the CC is that the file size is usually just a single digit KB, so they stand out against all the larger KB CC.

Here's the link to the entire instructions:

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game Help:Installing Sims 3 Package Files/Post Patch 1.12/2.7/3.3

has anybody else tried LittleV's method? did it work? cause more problems? I'm not really having trouble with map tags but my sims' icon pictures in the sim panel go blank and i can't select them or interact with them. didn't know if maybe it was related. here's the link to my thread explaining it in detail: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/488784.page
  • Options
    woodlandwabbitwoodlandwabbit Posts: 5
    edited June 2012
    Same problem here. Both the tags and the filter control is missing. :shock:
    I've been looking through the forums, quite a few people are experiencing this to varying degrees, and while there are plenty of suggestions on possible solutions, I've been unable to find any fixes. Come EA pull your bloody finger out! :(
  • Options
    carolinatbcarolinatb Posts: 6
    edited November 2012
    This solution works. Tried it tonight.

2. click on edit town
    4. click on return to game then click on map view to make sure the bubbles appear (and they should appear)

You won't lose anything (including relationships, career levels, simoleons lol, etc) by doing this.

• Options
    KilltredKilltred Posts: 10 New Member
    edited November 2012
    This worked for me as well BUT!! and a BIG but... Anything you have stored in chests, cabinets etc...will be lost. I had about 100k in rare and difficult to make potions and herbs stored in my alchemists cabinet. it was gone after this move. Im glad I can now see my map icons again but be FOREWARNED you should probably move all your expensive goodies into your bag first
    carolinatb wrote:

2. click on edit town

• Options
    MIKELOMEMIKELOME Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    im not having that same problum my map is all weird you cant see the city please help........................or were should I go to get help :roll:
  • Options
    jmoore37jmoore37 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited January 2013
    I noticed after the recent update, my map icons were gone. At the same time I bought the collection helper too. When I set the collection helper for "rocks" it worked in my yard and such, but when I clicked on "view map" the icons were gone. I thought perhaps it was the collection helper, but now I see everyone is having this issue.

I have Seasons and Supernatural installed so I play Supernatural all the time. I became irritated because I found it hard to go on dates, sell stuff and had the zoom icon on my pointer when trying to view the map. I have to guess a building and click and it takes me there...very annoying.

I found a temporary fix for this until Sims fixes this glitch. I bought a LLMA(sp?) and use it to find every location I've been wanting to find. If I go on a date, my date ends of following me to where I've traveled. I still don't like it as I can't see the name of people's houses while viewing my map. So I have to go the long way and click on the friend's icon and travel that way to their house.

If anyone can answer my question about how to get the "zoom" icon off my map view, and have a normal view of the map icons, please let me know.

• Options
    ritsukiyoritsukiyo Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    I have pets and supernatural installed and I lost the icons too when i installed the latest update this morning, nothing I do is working to bring them back. Hopefully EA will hurry and put out another patch to fix the problem. Should i report this problem to them?
  • Options
    lightmidnight117lightmidnight117 Posts: 10
    edited February 2013
    I just started having this issue after updating to 1.50 on my Mac today. I have Ambitions, WA, generations, pets, and seasons installed. It's ridiculous and very annoying!!!
  • Options
    JenoquaiJenoquai Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    :) After update..you will have to go to your game filter and select all to see every thing in map view.
  • Options
    GizzyGizzsterGizzyGizzster Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Same here, but from that suggestion about the "mod folders" and such, i cant tell if that will work for me because i dont have "mods" im very confused and I just want my game to work correctly again. is anyone going to fix this or did i just burn a pile of my money?
  • Options
    PepStar5PepStar5 Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    I had the same problem, have you tried restarting your game and duplicating the game you were playing? It has work for me just remember to play in the duplicate

Please note I've already installed the mod folder ;)
  • Options
    VanillePigenVanillePigen Posts: 2 New Member
    edited November 2013
    Does this include books on the bookshelves? :?

As I have the same problem but saw that a sim moving into the household had all the map tags, I tried moving the family into their other home (an extra home bought earlier), which worked temporarily.
    Killtred wrote:
    This worked for me as well BUT!! and a BIG but... Anything you have stored in chests, cabinets etc...will be lost. I had about 100k in rare and difficult to make potions and herbs stored in my alchemists cabinet. it was gone after this move. Im glad I can now see my map icons again but be FOREWARNED you should probably move all your expensive goodies into your bag first
    carolinatb wrote:

2. click on edit town

• Options
    NotdagrandmaNotdagrandma Posts: 1 New Member
    edited May 2014

Hope this helps.

Will doing what you suggested reset my family to square one, with no skills or anything?

EDIT: I was about to try it, but a notice came up to warm me that all the relationship I had would be lost. If everything gets reset whats the point of moving the family, you might as well just start a new one from scratch anyway.

Okay tried this under a new save name per my Riverview town that is missing the map icons, when you place the lots and houses with characters in the new town and lot the following happens:

All character relationships except within the household are nil.
    Characters jobs, school, and positions remain intact though.
    All previously completed lifetime wishes are still intact.

So if your characters had many friends and enemies they must be started over. Plus one of my characters had children in other households which are no longer alive as if they never existed.

Granted the map icons are there if they are more important than the actual game you have built relationships in that town previously.

I still have not found a way to return the map icons and tis a pain in the tush to have to find where the quest etc. is. grrr If you have the correct solution please reply.
  • Options
    DezmeriaDezmeria Posts: 1,458 Member
    edited May 2014
    I have no clue what is going on but I am having the same darn problem.

One day my game was perfectly fine then I load my game and there are ZERO Map Icons.

*Everyone in the household is set to "ALL".

*No MODs are installed.

IF I have a Sim travel and return home the icons are back. However I am wondering if there is a permanent solution to fix this.
  • Options
    Emmily3112Emmily3112 Posts: 3 New Member

2. click on edit town

Thank you very much! This solved the problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top