Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Another I/O Device Error Question

SilentFoxxSilentFoxx Posts: 12
edited February 27 in Nominated Threads
I've googled for hours and couldn't find the answer to this problem so this is where I've been led by it all. I get the I/O Device error in these exact steps:

1. This is the first time this game has been downloaded on this computer. I pop it into the CD thingy.
2. I press autorun and enter my code, and agree to the terms and all of that.
3. It's downloading and the bar moves about 2 millimeters up, then pauses on

C:\...\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Caches\Sunset Valley.objectCache

4. Eventually, a notification comes up saying: Something about "a I/O Device error."

I got this game in the store. It's a 1 disk game and I previously downloaded it on my upstairs computer. Our video card was messed up (I just fixed it earlier though) so I uninstalled it. That's the only times it was ever installed. Both of my computers have Vista. The other comp with the messed up video card has problems also.

(Computer with the previously messed up video card (I'll call it computer 2 for less typing):

This comp might have an easier solution so I'll post it too.

1. When I pop in the CD autorun doesn't come up (Probably not a big deal). I go to computer and double click DVD. Half the time it goes not responding. If I try to open the CD's file, there's nothing in it.

2. In a case that I somehow got it to attempt to download, nothing comes up but something about a Win32 application. It doesn't have it or something. Tips would be nice.

It would be nice to get help for either of these problems from either no links or official gaming sites. I don't trust downloading from non-official sites.
Now some guy told me there's trouble reading the TS3 disk and that I need a new drive. First of all I don't know which computer he is talking about and second I wanted to know if this would help.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited April 2010
    Hi,

On the PC that is generating I/O errors, it sounds like your anti-virus program or similar is interfering with the setup installer. For troubleshooting assistance please refer to the following EA Support article:

http://support.electronicarts.co.uk/cgi-bin/eauk_new.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=23837

On the PC that is generating Win32 error messages, it is possible there are background tasks or processes interfering with the setup installer (firewall, anti-virus, scheduled OS maintenance, etc.). If that is the case, you can try disabling them. Instructions can be found in the following EA Support article:

http://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10700

The following may also be of help:
    From SimGuru_BGY_11:
    Let's try this, also:

1. Click Start or press the Windows key and R, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
    2. Click on Startup.
    3. Select disable All.
    4. Click on Services.
    5. Check the box that says Hide All Microsoft Services, then Disable All.
    6. Apply, then restart your system.

-Big Guy-

Doing this will eliminate most of what might be interfering with the installer running properly on a software level. After you are done installing the game, repeat the above procedure, this time using the Enable All buttons to turn services and startup items back on. Another alternative is to boot Windows in Safe Mode and install the game while in that state.

As for issues with disc detection on your PC downstairs, first ensure that the game disc is not damaged or dirty. Cleaning the disc and the DVD drive with a cleaning kit may help. For your specific issue, please refer to the following EA Support article:

https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10703

If the above does not work, you can give this a try next:
    From SimGuru_BGY_11:
    Hi there.

What I'd advise in this case is going into Device Manager (from System -> Hardware in Control Panel), right clicking on the [DVD] drive and selecting Uninstall. Reboot your system without a [game] disk in the drive, and Windows should redetect the [DVD] drive and reinstall its software.

If that does not work, contact your system manufacturer for diagnostics and possibly a firmware update.

-Big Guy-

If your issue is still not resolved, verify that the software drivers for the DVD drive are in fact functioning properly and that the DVD drive controller is set to DMA Mode. You can also try replacing the DVD drive unit with a newer model either purchased or borrowed as Bob suggested. The Sims 3 disc (and its subsequent expansions) apparently has issues with certain optical drives due to the way it was stamped at manufacturing.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • SilentFoxxSilentFoxx Posts: 12
    edited April 2010
    Omg you rock man. Thank you SO much. I'm gonna try them. Whether it works or not you rock!
  • SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for posting that Nichademus!

-Big Guy-
  • SilentFoxxSilentFoxx Posts: 12
    edited April 2010
    I fixed it! THANK YOU BOTH SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited April 2010
    Glad to be of service, SilentFoxx. Enjoy the game! :D
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • samkisses89samkisses89 Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    I globbing love you guys so much :shock:

Thank you!!!
    :thumbup:
  • ellison73ellison73 Posts: 6
    edited February 2013
    this doesnt work for me i just downloaded the sims 3 supernatural and it pauses at f;/caches/moonlightfalls.objectcache and the same thing happens to me it says it has a I/O device error i need HELP :(
    edited February 2013
    some of the links dont even work like nicks please help me
    edited February 2013
    If you are no longer able to access http://support.electronicarts.co.uk/cgi-bin/eauk_new.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=23837 at all, the contents of that EA Support article were as follows:
    Question
    I am having trouble installing The Sims 3 World Adventures. How do I fix this issue?

Answer
    We have received reports from users experiencing installation issues with The Sims 3 World Adventures, causing users to see 'Error Code 16' when installing.

We have determined that this error is mostly caused by compatibility issues with Avast and/or Norton anti-virus software.

In order to resolve this issue and install your copy of World Adventures, you will need to add several Sims 3 files to your anti-virus white list.

For Avast users (Standard Shield provider)
    Temporarily disable Avast.
    Select the Customize option in Avast.
    Click on the Advanced tab.
    Click on the Add button.
    Place the following path in the Folders white list:
    Windows XP: My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3
    Windows Vista: Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3
    Place the following two files in the .exe white list*:
    *These files can be found in Program Files > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Game > Bin
    Sims3launcher
    TS3.exe

After adding the folders and files above to your white list, you should be able to re-enable Avast. You can now proceed to re-launch the game installation.

For Norton users
    Temporarily disable Norton
    Select the Computer Settings option in Norton.
    Select Scan Exclusions.
    Select Auto-Protect Exclusions
    Place the following folder in the list of exclusions:
    Windows XP: My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3
    Windows Vista: Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3
    Find the following two .exe files and also place them on your list of exclusions*:
    *These files can be found in Program Files > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Game > Bin
    Sims3Launcher
    TS3.exe

After adding the folders and files above to your white list, you should be able to re-enable Norton. You can now proceed to re-launch the game installation.

As a last resort and if you have not tried it already, you can alternatively use your Supernatural disc serial code to redeem a digital download version of the game from the EA Store at no cost to you. This is made possible through the Origin download manager client. After you have registered the game on the Sims3.com website, the product will automatically be redeemed in Origin. The latest version of the Origin client can be downloaded from the following link:

http://www.dm.origin.com/download

Once the Origin download manager is installed and running, log into it using your Sims3.com login credentials. From the My Games tab you should find your digital game ready to download and install. Installing via digital download will hopefully proceed without any I/O errors.
    edited February 2013
    ok ill try thanks
    edited February 2013
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU WORKSKED :lol:
  • GhostyGirlGhostyGirl Posts: 7 New Member
    edited October 2013
    Thanks so much for the help. Although the fix was that the disc was dirty. Went through all of the suggestions and nothing worked. Then I cleaned the disc. Worked.
    <facepalm>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top