Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Create-A-World Mac?

Comments

• Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited June 2014
    You're most welcome! :mrgreen:
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    thirteenthjaguarthirteenthjaguar Posts: 4
    edited June 2014
    OMG. There needs to be a create a work and custom content creator for MAC. It's just un fair for us MAC people!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Sorry, ain't happening now or ever. Yes, it would be nice, but life isn't always fair. :D
  • Options
    Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    edited June 2014
    EA sent me a survey to complete about my support experience (which was great, since I had them call back rather than use the useless online chat help). But at the end of it, they made the mistake of asking how EA could improve. I let them have it. I told them that their treatment of Mac folk was pitiful and that I would likely NOT recommend EA games to others due to increasingly buggy games, poor online support and treating Mac folks (who generally paid more for their computers than Windows folks) like second class citizens!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited June 2014
    OMG. There needs to be a create a work and custom content creator for MAC. It's just un fair for us MAC people!

What's "create a work"?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Dani47531Dani47531 Posts: 192 Member
    edited June 2014
    I know, it's annoying, HELLO EA MAC USERS ARE PEOPLE TOO! I wanted to make a world, but it's for PC only!
  • Options
    Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    edited June 2014
    This may sound like a stupid question, but can you use edit World to create your own World? Basically, removing stuff from an existing World, changing terrain, adding stuff, etc?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    You can. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    faerielightsfaerielights Posts: 10 New Member
    hey I'm a little late to the party but and I have no idea if this was mentioned later on on this forum because this website keeps giving me these "down for maintenance" pages every time I try to advance. Anyway, I just thought I should let you know that there is a free application called Mono out there on the internet that software developers use to run content across multiple platforms, meaning that my fellow Mac users and I could potentially run Create-A-World without having to download some pain-in-the-🐸🐸🐸🐸 application like Bootcamp or Wine something. Now, I don't know if this actually works, mainly because Mono is a pain to start up and you have to do a fair bit of coding in terminal to get it started (which is something I am unfortunately hopelessly bad at so I have not got it up and running yet.) When and if I do get it up I would be happy to tell you if it works or not. Best wishes to all of you, I we figure this out someday :) .
  • Options
    hey I'm a little late to the party but and I have no idea if this was mentioned later on on this forum because this website keeps giving me these "down for maintenance" pages every time I try to advance. Anyway, I just thought I should let you know that there is a free application called Mono out there on the internet that software developers use to run content across multiple platforms, meaning that my fellow Mac users and I could potentially run Create-A-World without having to download some pain-in-the-plum application like Bootcamp or Wine something. Now, I don't know if this actually works, mainly because Mono is a pain to start up and you have to do a fair bit of coding in terminal to get it started (which is something I am unfortunately hopelessly bad at so I have not got it up and running yet.) When and if I do get it up I would be happy to tell you if it works or not. Best wishes to all of you, I we figure this out someday :) .

Let me save you the effort, it doesn't work in mono. Boot Camp doesn't require downloading, it is already on your Mac. You just need a copy of Windows. And TS3 is able to run in macOS because of Cider which is pretty much like Wine.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    RuediiRuedii Posts: 168 Member
    You can use Wine to run Create a World. However, you need a copy of the Windows version of Sims 3.

If you own the steam version you have a dual-platform key. I don't know if the Disc version has one, though.
  • Options
    Elf67 wrote: »
    EA sent me a survey to complete about my support experience (which was great, since I had them call back rather than use the useless online chat help). But at the end of it, they made the mistake of asking how EA could improve. I let them have it. I told them that their treatment of Mac folk was pitiful and that I would likely NOT recommend EA games to others due to increasingly buggy games, poor online support and treating Mac folks (who generally paid more for their computers than Windows folks) like second class citizens!

You should see what us Linux users get treated like.

I had one support user ban me from one of EA's MMOs just for complaining that he kept asking me "what Windows version are you using"
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2017
    Ruedii wrote: »
    Elf67 wrote: »

You should see what us Linux users get treated like.

I had one support user ban me from one of EA's MMOs just for complaining that he kept asking me "what Windows version are you using"
    I don't get it. So why can't you just click on your Start Menu, then System and...okay just kidding. :p

We've had Mac users report here that Tech Support has instructed them to remove Safari from their computers immediately (during a chat where the player happened to be using Safari, of course) because it is a known vector for malware. There kind of isn't any way to gracefully end a conversation like that. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    @Ruedii Do you manage to run TS3 with Wine on Mac ? Or just on Linux ?
    Anyway, it's good to know that CAW runs on Linux. Gaming is practically the only reason why I haven't installed Ubuntu on one of my computers yet.

@igazor So tempting to start mentioning Internet Explorer in return >:)
  • Options
    You can use Wine to run Create a World. However, you need a copy of the Windows version of Sims 3.

If you own the steam version you have a dual-platform key. I don't know if the Disc version has one, though.

Sadly you can't run CAW using Wine because the Sims 3 is Mac 'compatible' (said in the loosest possible terms) because EA used Cider to wrap it. You can however Boot Camp a Mac and install Windows, then TS3 then CAW.

The physical copy of the game is one disc which is Mac and Windows compatible. The digital download available on Origin will download the version for the OS you're running at the time. TS3 is only available through Steam for Windows, not macOS.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    @Ruedii @igazor

My favourite was when they used to tell people to quit all processes in Activity Monitor. ALL of them......
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    My favourite was when they used to tell people to quit all processes in Activity Monitor. ALL of them......
    It's so horrifying I had to awesome this.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Ruedii @igazor

Including the Activity Monitor process? May as well start with that one, in fact, since it's using up what is probably 15 MB of RAM and apparently causing all kinds of stress... :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member

Sadly you can't run CAW using Wine because the Sims 3 is Mac 'compatible' (said in the loosest possible terms) because EA used Cider to wrap it. You can however Boot Camp a Mac and install Windows, then TS3 then CAW.

The physical copy of the game is one disc which is Mac and Windows compatible. The digital download available on Origin will download the version for the OS you're running at the time. TS3 is only available through Steam for Windows, not macOS.

I do find it odd why TS3 on Steam doesn't work on macOS despite there being a Mac version as DVD versions and Origin support macOS. However, back in the day The Sims 3 only had download versions available for Windows and it wasn't until 2013 with the release of University Life did Origin appear on macOS.

The Sims 3 isn't the only game with this oddity. SimCity 4 on Steam works on Windows and macOS but this isn't true for the Origin and GOG.com versions (only Windows is supported). Likewise, SimCity 2000 on GOG.com supports Windows and macOS/OS X but this isn't true for the Origin version of SimCity 2000 which only supports Windows.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    Simcity 4 was an Aspyr port that's why it's not available through Origin. EA had nothing to do with the Mac version.

Simcity 2000 was available for Mac before Windows. And the developer was Maxis. Wrap your head around that one!
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Simcity 4 was an Aspyr port that's why it's not available through Origin. EA had nothing to do with the Mac version.

Simcity 2000 was available for Mac before Windows. And the developer was Maxis. Wrap your head around that one!
    apple-signature.png
  • Options

apple-signature.png
  • Options

Wine is a platform to run Windows software on any other platform.
    It is a windows implementation.

You have to install the Windows version of Sims 3 into the same Wine installation to use the CAW tool. (You can't use the Mac version).
  • Options

This was before Maxis was bought out by EA.

At the time, Maxis was developing a generic Python cross-platform version of the original Sim City as well. It's primary target was Unix platforms on which it could take advantage of multi-user machines and allow multiple players to work on the same city at once. What remains of the project was open sourced under under the name "Micropolis." The multi-player function was never completed however the multiple view windows function was.

EA basically eliminated all non-Windows computer projects when they took over Maxis. They almost lost their two best programmers over it. I'm not sure of all the politics, but people at Maxis weren't happy when EA went back on their word about "complete creative freedom" being given to Maxis.

BTW, Aspyr's newer ports are so much better than their old Cider based ones.

I personally wish EA would let Aspyr handle the full binary of an redux version of the Sims 3. Aspyr has teams that know the Mono runtime used by The Sims 3 inside and out, and could do a far better job than anyone at EA short of Maxis' top programmers, who are busy on other projects.