Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cannot delete fridge- "contains object in use"

While playing, my Sims kept getting the "disgusted" moodlet from bad food, but I couldn't find anything spoiled. I finally noticed that there were flies coming from the fridge, but no green odor smoke and there was no option to clean the fridge.

I tried to delete the fridge, figuring it was just glitching, but the game will not let me sell or sledgehammer it because it claims that it contains an object one of my sims is using. My sims aren't using anything! moveObjects on does not let me get rid of the fridge, and I've tried restarting the game. Any suggestions?

edit: I have opened the fridge and there's no bad food in there. I used moveObjects on to put the fridge off in the far corner of the lot where it won't bother anyone, but I really wish it could be gone.

Comments

• SickofAirSickofAir Posts: 111 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Click on the fridge, then click Open. Find the Bad Quality food and drag it onto a table or something, then have your Sim Clean Up.

~SoA
  • kusattakokoroxkusattakokorox Posts: 271 Member
    edited June 2009
    I have this same exact problem and doing that doesn't help either. I removed all of the food from the fridge and it still did that. Also, I didn't have an option to clean the fridge. It's some idiotic fluke. I had to remodel the kitchen around the dang thing 'cause I didn't want to move.
  • pinkchuxpinkchux Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I am having this same issue!
    I've tried all of the above with no luck.

Has anyone found a solution yet?
  • mantis120mantis120 Posts: 124 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I dont have this problem, but have you tried a repairman to fix the refrig or perhapse a maid to find the rotting item.
  • XmentalXpunkXXmentalXpunkX Posts: 19 New Member
    edited June 2009
    1. type CTRL+SHIFT+C
    2. type "moveobjects on" then press enter

Now try to delete the fridge. I had the same problem with a couch in sims 2 one time. I was able to delete it then.
  • CMarie55CMarie55 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the advice, mantis-- I do have a maid and I can't get the repairman because the fridge doesn't show as broken.

mentalpunk, I have tried "moveobjects on" many times. While it will let me move the fridge to wherever I want on the lot, it will not let me sell it or sledgehammer it.
  • barenoenbarenoen Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    can´t delete my fridge either.. tried moveobjects, sledge and sell :(
  • bbaiadybbaiady Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I've had this problem with my tub. Haven't figured it out yet.
  • YahtzamiYahtzami Posts: 6,301 Member
    edited June 2009
    That would be annoying. Too bad it isn't the toilet. If it was, you could just delete and replace the wall behind it. (Deleting a the wall would remove the toilet as well)

Maybe you can just move the fridge out to the yard and build a small building around it w/ a little roof like one of the deco "outhouses" people get. Or put it in the corner of the garage or something and wall it in. Yeah, you would still see it in your game, but because it would be in a different room, your sim won't get that moodlet.
  • simjettsimjett Posts: 5,254 Member
    edited June 2009
    I have an idea! Put a stove beside the fridge, move other items away, put something to bake and neglect it. Hopefully the stove will burst into flames and take the fridge with it.
  • storyweaveronestoryweaverone Posts: 13 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I just ran into this problem too. Glad to see I am not alone in my frustration. I have followed all the same procedures for trying to rid myself of the issue. If EA is watching this is an issue.
  • monazoommonazoom Posts: 6 New Member
    edited November 2010
    I had this problem, here's how I got around the glitch:

1. Use a phone / computer to move out.

2. Select an unoccupied house to move into.

3. When you are given the option, choose to move out WITHOUT your furniture.

4. When you move into the new property use the phone / computer to move out again.

5. Select your old house and move back in.

6. Again, choose to move out WITHOUT your furniture.

7. When you are back in your home again, go into buy mode and delete the fridge it will allow you to sell it.
  • SectaviusSectavius Posts: 1 New Member
    edited November 2010
    I've had this happen to me twice. The second time I figured out what was wrong and fixed it. Here's how it went down:

First thing I notice is flies around the refrigerator. Sims are disgusted in the kitchen, but the refrigerator's list of options doesn't include "discard bad food", nor does it show on the list of objects in the refrigerator.

THEN one day one of my Sims opens the fridge door to get some food out of it, and while the door is open I can actually see a plate of bad food in there. I know which Sim stuck it in there because when I try to move it out using the hand in Buy Mode, it says, "Object in use by '[MySimsName]'."

You can't delete the fridge even with a cheat as long as that plate is in there. So what I did was:

1. use cheat "MoveObjects On"
    2. send a Sim over to open the fridge door
    3. with the door open, enter Buy Mode, grab the plate out of there and stick it on the floor
    4. send the naughty Sim who the game says is using the plate over to recycle the plate. It wouldn't let me "clean up" the plate, but it let him recycle it. Nobody else but that Sim can pick it up either.

And voila! it worked. Hope it works for you too.
  • Greenowl77Greenowl77 Posts: 253 Member
    edited January 2012
    Well I have not seen this problem for a LONG time but tonight I noticed a foul smelling plate on my Sim's table. Try as I might I could not get her to "Clean Up" the plate. She would accept the action but as soon as she got to the plate it canceled automatically.

Easy & Vastly Entertaining Fix
    Buy Crappy Stove
    ---Place Cheap Stove in a clear section of your lot (If you are in an apartment you will want to put all your other furniture**Except fridge**in your family inventory before beginning)
    ---Make sure that your fire alarm is in your inventory
    Buy Cheap Dining Table & Counter or 2 Counters
    ---Place both items next to Cheap Stove
    ---Place Broken Plate on the table or counter
    Have all family members besides one adult leave the lot (Go to Park, whatever)
    Interact with the stove to cook something
    Now your Sim will go to the fridge to get the ingredients
    Then your Sim will use the unoccupied counter to prepare the ingredients
    Allow your Sim to begin using the stove
    Then cancel the cooking action and move far away from the stove
    (Note-you may need to move your Sim several times if you are in an apartment)
    The food will turn darker and then blacken
    After a few moments the stove will set fire (If neighbors are around they will come over and freak out)
    Keep your Sim away from the fire until the blaze has moved onto the counter or table that is holding the plate
    When the fire moves to the floor surrounding the counter with the plate use the cell phone to call the fire department (KEEP AWAY FROM THE FIRE)
    If the blaze gets really crazy more than one firefighter will come to put it out.
    After the fire department does it's work you will have a charred stove and two charred surfaces
    Now simply go to your buy mode and 'sell' these items for 0.
    Poof no more plate!

I hope this helps anyone who has this problem. It is really funny to see the Sims react to the fire. It almost makes the bug worth it!
  • SnipaHoHoSnipaHoHo Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    Since Patch 1.8/2.3 there’s a testingcheat Option,with which you can delete that stuff

Open the cheat window with ctl-shift-c
    Type testingcheatsenabled true
    Shift-click on the object (make sure you don’t click on a Sim by mistake)
    Choose: Object/Delete it.
    This will delete the object
    Reopen the cheat window
    Type testingcheatsenabled false to deactivate the cheat. It will deactivate itself once you restart the game.
    Make a backup of your savegame before trying this so that you have another chance if you delete the wrong thing

You can also sell most of this objects with the cheat moveObjects On. Never delete a Sims with moveObjects or delete löschen or he will be gone for good. They don’t reappear like they did in Sims 2. If you have a stuck sim, reset him.

If you have a chisel from the workbench stuck to your Sim, none of the above solutions work though. You can’t delete the stupid thing. To get rid of it, you need to sell the workbench itself and replace it with a new copy.
  • DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    edited June 2014
    This thread is from 2009! :shock:
  • Simmer147Simmer147 Posts: 1 New Member
    The same thing happened to me. I'm playing on Xbox so I can't use cheat commands. Just save your game. Then move to a different house and "sell furniture" . Then move back into your old house. All of my old furniture was actually still there, my house was exactly the same, but the food that was in "in use" by my sim had vanished. Problem solved!
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Thank you for posting your workaround. I'll be closing the thread as it's been necro'd.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top