The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Saving Error 13, the solution.

Hey everyone,

Yesterday I discovered a saving bug which would appear whilst saving explaining that 'an unexpected error' had occurred and gave the error code number '13'.

You can imagine how annoying it would be to find yourself unable to save; but fear not, for I have found a way to solve the problem without losing any progress.

With the game still running, minimize it and go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Saves. Inside you will find a 'BAD' file. Simply delete this file and the saving system will be refreshed. Re-enter the game and attempt to save again. In my experience, this was successful.
I must stress caution with deleting saves, however; you don't want to delete the wrong one!

If this proves helpful to even 1 person I'll be very happy. Good simming!:)

Comments

• ravennightwolferavennightwolfe Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Having the same issue, THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NotaBeneNotaBene Posts: 460 New Member
    edited June 2009
    You're welcome, I hope that it works for you.:)

I know it was a really sickening feeling when it happened to me, I had played for 3 hours without saving. >_>
  • netherknightnetherknight Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2009
    **** it's not working for me and I just furnished my entire mansion *** lode of bull ***

p.s. sorry for the swearing I just lost 4 hours in witch I perfected my house and furnished it, it's never going to look as good now........****

ok it finally let me save it I think but I'll check tomorrow if it actually did
    save.

again sorry about the swearing I have a lot of stress at the moment.
  • AutumnLilyAutumnLily Posts: 58 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Thank you, that's really helpful. I got 'Error Code 13' for the first time today, having just managed to solve the problem of 'Error Code 16'. It's frustrating :roll:. I will definitely try your solution and hopefully it'll work.
  • AewynAewyn Posts: 31
    edited December 2009
    Another solution, which I find far less likely to crash the game, is saving from Edit Town.
  • CountessCrazyCountessCrazy Posts: 133 Member
    edited January 2010
    I have been playing without any problems until today. I got Sims 3 the day it came out and I also got WA the day it came out. I have been lucky until just a few minutes ago. Now I get error 13 and deleting the .bad files didn't work and edit town didn't work.
  • simonevans1963simonevans1963 Posts: 206 Member
    edited January 2010
    I have had more than my share of error 13s and done all sorts that seem to help overcome or avoid them and which work sometimes but never all the time. These include: save from the town or edit town mode; change something in edit town; change to another household; delete BAD file while the game is running and try again; do 'save as' (to avoid overwriting any errors). As I say, in my experience, none of this helps overcome or avoid the dreaded error 13 all the time, but the one thing that always seems to help is, saving regularly (every 30 mins or so) and after every hour of game play, save, quit and restart. For some reason the game likes it when you have a nice fresh start (but don't we all :))!
  • ciennasim1ciennasim1 Posts: 734 Member
    edited January 2010
    I already tried both of these and none of them worked for me as far as error 13. Nothing works so when I get error code 13 than I know it's a wrap as there is no way to save my game. Deleting the .bad saved file only works for error code 12. I noticed that when I do a lot of saves than eventually error code 13 will pop up, so what i've been doing lately is just play the game and save before I quit (with my fingers crossed). In my opinion I think that it will take EA longer to get a patch to patch all of the new problems as well as pre-existing problems.
  • andriiaandriia Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2010
    i have the same problem have taken bad twinbrook of 3 times but it keeps on reapearing, trying not to use money chat but fed up of getting skills up only to lose them. have error 15 and 16