Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

origin is not safe????????/

I have just got my computer back from being repaired and found out all the files have been swiped off in order for it to work. So, today I have come to put it back on and when I tried to download it , MacAfee says it is not safe and it gives you viruses and spyware and all that. My parents wont let me get it and when I tell them all of my sims 3 games are on there they do not care. But, it makes me wonder as my laptop as well has got MacAfee, but it did not say that when I downloaded it. Is it really not safe or is it just saying precautions?
4Wv5dIG.jpg

Comments

• Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    MacAfee itself is a virus. I don't use any Antivirus programs. It safe just like Steam is.
    To be honest Antivirus programs are bloatware. It slows your computer down. If your careful you won't get virus from the Internet.
    Your laptop might not be a good idea to play the Sims 3 on. It depends on your system specs. I highly recommend a Gaming laptop or a Gaming desktop for The sims 3 and other games.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Origin is a division of EA and the program is safe. It sounds like it got incorrectly blacklisted by McAfee. Security products kick up false positives and incorrect warnings all the time, some such as McAfee much more often than others.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    james64468 wrote: »
    MacAfee itself is a virus. I don't use any Antivirus programs. It safe just like Steam is.
    To be honest Antivirus programs are bloatware. It slows your computer down. If your careful you won't get virus from the Internet.
    Your laptop might not be a good idea to play the Sims 3 on. It depends on your system specs. I highly recommend a Gaming laptop or a Gaming desktop for The sims 3 and other games.

McAfee may be one of the poorer choices, but I wouldn't recommend running Windows without anti-virus at all. It's not really a matter of being careful. Websites can be hacked into and become compromised, drive-by malware is still a "thing," and anyone can accidentally click on a rogue ad serving up malware while dragging the mouse across the screen or have a human moment and be fooled by an email attachment that looks like it came from a trustworthy source.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I second @igazor while, in my personal experience, I got just as many viruses running McAfee as I did had I had no anti virus, I would never recommend going completely without one.

McAfee is shady as all get out. Origin is safe. Completely. It's McAfee that is the problem.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Maybe we would serve those reading this thread better if we made some recommendations instead of continuing to bash the one we all don't like. My setup is unusual in that I mostly use my Windows partition for TS3 and downloading TS3 content from EA and other (usually) known to be safe places. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on that partition. It's lightweight and never kicks up any false positives, but it's also only for Vista and Windows 7 users. On my Mac partition where I am most of the other times, things are different and the need for such a product as for most OS X users is not nearly as great.

For others, it's going to depend on their habits and typical patterns of usage. Avast has always had a good product line, as has AVG (or at least it used to). For those needing something more extra strength and who can tolerate the higher prices, the Norton line has improved a lot over the years with respect to not getting in the way of the user while providing excellent protection. There are many other good choices in between, it's a crowded marketplace. But the more and heavier protection one puts in place, even from the "good guys," the more likely it's going to get in the way of routine computer usage at some point. It's always a trade-off.

For anti-malware scans on demand (not anti-virus protection), Malwarebytes still can't be beat.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I use Malwarebytes and the paid version runs in the background. Very cheap for one year.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    I've used the free versions of both AVG and Avast - either one of those is definitely a much better choice than MacAfee. I've heard good things about Panda, but I don't have any experience with it myself.
    I do think if you want to have good virus protection, it's worth looking at paid software - but you'd have to do a bit of research and read some independent tests to see which one would be most suitable for your purposes.

It's illogical to think that Origin would be 'unsafe'. It's how EA makes their money, by selling games on Origin. I'm not a big fan of Origin myself, but that has nothing to do with whether or not it is safe.

Maybe you should let your parents read this thread. I'm sure they mean well and want to make sure you don't need more expensive computer repairs in the near future - but not allowing you to use hundreds of dollars worth of games because MacAfee doesn't like Origin might not be the way to go about it...
  • Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    Thanks everyone, I am going to have a word with them and see what they say
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Maybe we would serve those reading this thread better if we made some recommendations instead of continuing to bash the one we all don't like. My setup is unusual in that I mostly use my Windows partition for TS3 and downloading TS3 content from EA and other (usually) known to be safe places. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on that partition. It's lightweight and never kicks up any false positives, but it's also only for Vista and Windows 7 users. On my Mac partition where I am most of the other times, things are different and the need for such a product as for most OS X users is not nearly as great.

For others, it's going to depend on their habits and typical patterns of usage. Avast has always had a good product line, as has AVG (or at least it used to). For those needing something more extra strength and who can tolerate the higher prices, the Norton line has improved a lot over the years with respect to not getting in the way of the user while providing excellent protection. There are many other good choices in between, it's a crowded marketplace. But the more and heavier protection one puts in place, even from the "good guys," the more likely it's going to get in the way of routine computer usage at some point. It's always a trade-off.

For anti-malware scans on demand (not anti-virus protection), Malwarebytes still can't be beat.

Let me put it this way. I am very confident in my skills. For example: One time my younger sister put a virus unknowingly on my parent's business computer. I found a way around the virus. I was able to shut it down so I could back up my parent's business stuff. And I end up giving them a Windows 7 computer to help protect them from that. Also got on to my sister for using BitTorrent software. I guess that why I am not so worried about viruses. I just know how to research and if there not answer I will keep looking and trying different things.
    Hacking you can't really protect for that. Even if you have the best hardware and software. There is always going to be someone that will create a script to get around security. Richard Stallman would agree with me. Even a macbook can get a virus. Yes I saw Chris Prillo get the black screen of death on a Macbook during one of his livestreams.
    I would rather people used Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and destroy. AVG and Avast is good. Norton and Mcaffee not so much. They can eat the master boot sector. In simple terms that means you have to reinstall Windows.
  • Options
    Let me put it this way. I am very confident in my skills.

I think you have misunderstood. I was not expressing a lack of confidence in your skills nor criticizing your choice to run without anti-virus. It would not be my place to do either even if I would never run Windows without one myself.

But consider your audience here. Think about the average user on this forum. This is not Ars Technica or even ZDNet by a longshot, this is The
    Sims. Telling other users here that "If your careful you won't get virus from the Internet" is essentially putting forth a recommendation , even without meaning to, that is not one that the average reader of these pages needs to hear because for the most part it's just not going to work out well for them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    McAfee may be one of the poorer choices, but I wouldn't recommend running Windows without anti-virus at all. It's not really a matter of being careful. Websites can be hacked into and become compromised, drive-by malware is still a "thing," and anyone can accidentally click on a rogue ad serving up malware while dragging the mouse across the screen or have a human moment and be fooled by an email attachment that looks like it came from a trustworthy source.

I much recommend Avira over the others. o:)
    https://www.avira.com

Has a free version if you are unable to afford a paid antivirus. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options

I think you have misunderstood. I was not expressing a lack of confidence in your skills nor criticizing your choice to run without anti-virus. It would not be my place to do either even if I would never run Windows without one myself.

But consider your audience here. Think about the average user on this forum. This is not Ars Technica or even ZDNet by a longshot, this is The
    Sims. Telling other users here that "If your careful you won't get virus from the Internet" is essentially putting forth a recommendation , even without meaning to, that is not one that the average reader of these pages needs to hear because for the most part it's just not going to work out well for them.

I am literally really confused, can you tell me a bit more simpler than what you have said?

4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options

I am literally really confused, can you tell me a bit more simpler than what you have said?

I was responding to @james64468 's assertion that he does not use anti-virus at all and saying that may be fine for him, but it's not generally recommended to run Windows that way for most users.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    ExpandSims2ExpandSims2 Posts: 373 Member
    You might consider shutting off MacAffee just long enough in install your sims and then immediately turn it back on. My husband has had me do this for sites we knew to be safe if an anti-virus interfered with an action we really wanted. I'm sure it's risky but the odds of getting something during that specific time are probably not great. Now, admittedly, for me, it was for a short short span of time to download cc for my sims game. Not the length of time it would take to reinstall the Sims games. But I'm mentioning it as a last resort consideration to get your game reinstalled. I know how much mine means to my life. :)
  • Options
    CirceGrangerCirceGranger Posts: 38 Member
    Why don't you show your parents this comment? Origin is very safe. I don't think your anti virus is working, it may itself be a virus. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a working anti virus.
  • Options
    You might consider shutting off MacAffee just long enough in install your sims and then immediately turn it back on. My husband has had me do this for sites we knew to be safe if an anti-virus interfered with an action we really wanted. I'm sure it's risky but the odds of getting something during that specific time are probably not great. Now, admittedly, for me, it was for a short short span of time to download cc for my sims game. Not the length of time it would take to reinstall the Sims games. But I'm mentioning it as a last resort consideration to get your game reinstalled. I know how much mine means to my life. :)

I GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!!! LITERALLY! I had to beg for it and told my parents all of your comments. No problems yet, but it is taking ages to get all my expansion packs back on which I can live with because the end result is that I can play It :) Thank you for all your help every single one of you !
    4Wv5dIG.jpg